• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Undertale CRT: Low 1-C Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know he is the main contributers who helped, revamping the current tier list that R>F works rigth?

Even with that it's still one admin and 2 people (at the very least) vs one admin and one people
I don't care. And it's one mod and an admin disagreeing, don't act like the mod has less significance here. It's Two Staffs

I have no clue what the argument shifted to and where the counterarguments in regard to recursive and contradictory scaling went.
I have little to no clue either. It seems like the agreement thought they had a consensus and wanted to "apply the revision until Efficiente made a CRT to change the requirements for R>F", as if we had already accepted UT was even meeting said requirements in the first place.

So I put up a stance against that notion. The last argument was by cosmic, from the disagreement, and Ultima, from the agreement. Ultima was replying to me, who claimed that the evidence could simply point towards a meta narrative trying to make the characters feel real, so your actions have weight, and morality, thus pushing away the standard "Kill the random opponents in RPG without any repercussions" cliche. Rather, Ultima believes these meta aspects are actually portraying a cosmological sense that, the anomaly, us, has the same kind of relationship that we, the player, have with the game itself. The anomaly is for the universe of Undertale as the real life player is to the game, Undertale. Which I disagree for the points I presented.

These are basically the arguments as of now.

My stance hasn't changed.

I still disagree on the basis that the Player is never explicitly treated as being literally the player playing a game. It's always discussed as this vague space-time entity. And Undertale has a history of implementing fourth wall stuff as canon mechanics in a more organic, natural way that doesn't straight up break the fourth wall or require a literal translation of game mechanics. Stuff like DT allowing saves and shit.

In this light, this being that metaphorically represents the Player shouldn't be assumed to translate 100% literally by default. And given how we lack evidence for that, we shouldn't rate our profiles according to an overly literal interpretation.

Mind you I'd have no problem with it if was explained more thoroughly. I don't agree with those other people thinking that you can't be a normal person in a transcendent world of the main game and be Tier 1. Mostly because that's just objectively false with our current standards (shout out to DC's Writer). I just don't think the evidence here is enough.

I believe it would be better if you granted more regard to argument as opposed to status.
I already did that. That is not the singular post I've made in this thread, far from it.
You also miss the point of the reply, it was to stop the two members demanding that the revision is applied to the profiles when we do not have a consensus yet. My counters are present in multiple posts.

Mind you I'd have no problem with it if was explained more thoroughly. I don't agree with those other people thinking that you can't be a normal person in a transcendent world of the main game and be Tier 1. Mostly because that's just objectively false with our current standards (shout out to DC's Writer).
First of all, DC's The Writer page literally has an anecdote saying not to view the metafictional aspect of it as the norm for reality>fiction transcendence or reality-fiction interaction so it doesn't make sense to use it as a site standard.

Coupling all of this information with Grant Morrison's own Animal Man run, wherein the titular character encounters his writer, and learns that they are nothing but fiction, it becomes clear that, despite our general strong reservations for Reality - Fiction Interaction, The Writer is heavily intertwined with, and impossible to separate from DC Comics' fictional mythology. However, this profile should be taken as an exception, rather than a rule, regarding the convention.

Second of all, even ignoring that (for some reason) DC is a bad example of this. DC like Marvel, is weird. They play around with meta commentary multiple times and (what should be for obvious reasons) do so in such ways that are not necessarily in a way that results in higher dimensional scalings according to our standards.

As I already pointed out Gwenpool is a good example of this, where her reality warping powers are gained as a result of her origins from the real world but she's far from the abilities of literally any cosmic entity. Of course, Gwenpool is an outlier even from this perspective. There are multiple other "real worlds" where comic book characters can easily travel to their world and back without any trouble, killing those people if they need to like when they found out that someone from the real world was the source of a zombie virus that spread to other universes. Then there's also moments when these supposedly real world individuals would travel to the comicbook universe and be deemed nothing special, saved only in the sense that they hail from a world with have stricter laws that make the existence of heroes as well as similar phenomena impossible.

DC is no different. Sure, during the multiversity epics there was a brief description of higher dimensional entities being capable of viewing the universe like one would read a comic book. However, in that same series it was revealed that this is not particularly special. Every (or almost every) universe sees into other universes in the form of comic books and it occurs often enough that people actively use them to keep up with the happenings of adjacent universes.

Even Earth Prime, a universe responsible for not one but two higher dimensional entities (Empty Hand and the writer) are not viewed as anything inherently special in itself beyond being, as Darkseid put it, boring, and the many more entities that came from there, such as superboy prime, though powerful and sometimes meta, are not depicted as being particularly more powerful because of they're origins from there. The Multiversity guideline even goes as far as to say no one knows exactly how Earth Prime affects the multiverse and even extremely advanced civilizations like the Monitors treat it as a glorified database server for the information of the rest of the multiverse.

Well, that's all to say no, a real person doesn't mean they're transcendent, we have never viewed them as transcendent, authors don't automatically treat them as transcendent and in my opinion people should really stop acting like whether The Player is real or not, (even if there was evidence for it) would automatically forgo any need for basic evidence for transcendence or the like.

There are multiple interpretations to meta commentary, even within the same story-line.

Last edited:
First of all, DC's The Writer page literally has an anecdote saying not to view the metafictional aspect of it as the norm for reality>fiction transcendence or reality-fiction interaction so it doesn't make sense to use it as a site standard.
The note isn't that other profiles can't be basically normal humans with a tier 1 level of transcendence. The note is that the Writer is special for being tier 0 via R>F shenanigans. Nothing compared to this thread.

Tier 1 normal humans are considered as acceptable within the bounds of the wiki, for example Umineko characters can be considered high levels of tier 1 by simply existing, due to having an R>F transcendence over a lower world.

The note isn't that other profiles can't be basically normal humans with a tier 1 level of transcendence. The note is that the Writer is special for being tier 0 via R>F shenanigans. Nothing compared to this thread.

Tier 1 normal humans are considered as acceptable within the bounds of the wiki, for example Umineko characters can be considered high levels of tier 1 by simply existing, due to having an R>F transcendence over a lower world.
Edit: Didn't really like how that post was typed so let's try this again.

Yes, I know humans can be pushed into higher tiers due to Reality>Fiction transcendence. Read my post again. The point is, regardless of their race, in multiple media, even media that includes reality>Fiction transcendence, being from or existing in a real world isn't enough to say that they are at this level of power simply because there are multiple interpretations meta commentary. Simply being viewed as more real didn't save Gwenpool's world from being destroyed by the Beyonders, for example, despite them literally reading about it in their comics.

Last edited:
which one can't see elaborated somewhere, despite how game mechanics would intuitively make a reality a game world->games are fiction->and "seeing something as fiction" is the standard stated. Any user can call out a verse to not have a Reality-Fiction Transcendence due to the evidence being too underwhelming in that manner.
I believe I've already explained this bit well enough in my above response to Charmander, so, moving on'

The quote you gave simply clarifies some examples of when a reality isn't Tier 11 next a normal reality. This has nothing to do with the idea that our rules have "seeing something as fiction" as standard for a Reality-Fiction Transcendence, at all.
I understand why you say that from your perspective, but from mine our standards aren't that. I will try to change our rules of Reality-Fiction Differences in the future, but I can say that the anomaly being Low 1-C is wrong.

Not really a matter of perspective. From the Tiering System page:

Characters who can significantly affect spaces of qualitatively greater sizes than ordinary universal models and spaces, usually represented in fiction by higher levels or states of existence (Or "levels of infinity", as referred below) which trivialize everything below them into insignificance, normally by perceiving them as akin to fictional constructs or something infinitesimal.

And before you or someone else nitpicks the use of "akin" there:

They can qualify, however, if said "higher plane" is defined as having a relationship of qualitative superiority over lower realms in one way or another, such as by perceiving them as literal fiction/unreality (or being comparatively more "real" in nature), encompassing them in an infinitesimal portion of itself, residing in a higher state of being altogether, and etc.

So, yes, as far as I see, your issues lie more with the standards than with the case at hand.

I'm familiar with the example, it's easy to see how wrong the standards are with it; The reason why they "don't actually hold any sort of transcendence over said works" is because they're proven not to, in a very explicit way. Once more the premise is that a Reality-Fiction Transcendence would be the standard, normal thing, and that logic is used for the anomaly to be Low 1-C with all the little information we have for them & Undertale. It's not a logical thing to do, it's more of a tradition.
Unless I'm grossly misreading this post, you seem to keep going back and forth with this here. In the parts I've quoted above, you seemed to be saying that our standards don't necessarily suggest that "seeing something as fictional" is grounds for a qualitative superiority on its own. But then, here, you're saying that this standard does exist, but is ultimately wrong. So, either you're misinformed (As put above) or just having disagreements with the overall Tiering System that go well beyond the scope of this thread, both cases resulting in your opposition not being grounded on much, at the end.

Undertale is actually theorized to take inspiration of concepts that appear in religions and/or alchemy in a way that would at best recontextualize the idea of the player being Low 1-C, but it is just theory over the more esoteric parts of Undertale, which are purposely made vague
No idea why you brought this up. At no point did I even mention that stuff.

I don't see why bring examples, either what I say are anti-feats aren't good enough for the verses to not have a Reality-Fiction Transcendence per our rules rather than an internal logically that builds up Low 1-C, or their anti-feats are too clear & it's wrong to say the verses have a Reality-Fiction Transcendence regardless of there being some "fictional" reality next to a "real" one, no matter how our rules imply otherwise. It's a pretty invincible situation.
Not really, no. Your whole point looks like it boils down to "There are many ways to see something as fiction that don't result in Tier 1," but I've already said that regardless of what semantics you want to play around with, there'd come a point where a character is just objectively not being seen as a fictional construct in any literal capacity, and that is thus outside of what our standards are supposed to cover, something which I illustrated with my example of Earth-33.

Not to mention how, again, none of what you mentioned applies to Undertale, as far as I am aware. If your point is ultimately just "There are so many ways in which R-F interactions can happen that defaulting it to the Tier 1 interpretation is inappropriate," then, sure, but that'd just lead to the pitfall I mentioned above (i.e It means you just have a problem with our standards as a whole, which should be addressed elsewhere)

It came derived from "You are real, and fiction can't harm you, but what if Character A who sees/perceives other realities as fiction can be harmed by them". In that case, for the Reality-Fiction Transcendence to still be legit all of those fictional characters would need to have Tier 1 AP, or the real character durability at their level
Yeah, since there is, once again, nothing wrong with a character having a level of AP that's higher than their plane of existence. Unless you mean to say "What if there's a case where characters from the fictional world are just not inherently weaker than characters from the "real" one?", in which case, that's just another instance of something that's not really applicable to the case at hand, and which would probably invalidate the whole idea of there actually being a literal Reality-Fiction Interaction between the two planes, anyway.

To extrapolate further, arguments mostly seem to say that whenever there's a meta commentary aspect to a piece of media that automatically this means there is a fictional>reality difference. I disagree. Cartoon characters are no more 2D or 5D for interacting with the audience, Gwenpool's higher perception of reality (from originating in a world where the characters are comic books, allowing her to view the world as the comic book that it is) is noted to being nothing special and she is effortlessly trounced in her own comics.
Fourth Wall Breaking elements that are used as one-off gags aren't too relevant here, since they're obviously not meant to be part of any serious storytelling or elaboration regarding a work's setting, which is very much the case with Undertale. Not familiar with Gwenpool, so, can't speak for that, though (Which is, for the matter, why I left the paragraph about her out of my response to your later comment)

We don't treat the matrix characters as higher or lower dimensional characters despite being ejected from a simulated reality and despite being a simulated reality the metaverse treats the DDLC universe as no less real than their
Can't say I'm too familiar with the specifics behind our treatment of such verses, myself. I made a few suggestions which I believe are coherent enough in my previous post, but I'd be speaking out of turn until someone more knowledgeable than me confirmed it.

It seems like the agreement thought they had a consensus and wanted to "apply the revision until Efficiente made a CRT to change the requirements for R>F", as if we had already accepted UT was even meeting said requirements in the first place.
To clarify: The actual point being raised by me is that Eficiente's points largely attack our general standards regarding R>F differences as a whole, and not this thread in specific, and so they are not valid grounds for disagreement until he brings about his ideal standards for this sort of feat.

You didn't seem to address the person above pointing this out on her reply to you, so I'll do it again: The note on the Writer's profile specifically refers to his reality-fiction transcendence being used as grounds for him being High 1-A / 0, and not for him being treated as a transcendental being at all, so that seems to be just a misunderstanding on your part.

As for your collapsed argument:

DC is no different. Sure, during the multiversity epics there was a brief description of higher dimensional entities being capable of viewing the universe like one would read a comic book. However, in that same series it was revealed that this is not particularly special. Every (or almost every) universe sees into other universes in the form of comic books and it occurs often enough that people actively use them to keep up with the happenings of adjacent universes.

Even Earth Prime, a universe responsible for not one but two higher dimensional entities (Empty Hand and the writer) are not viewed as anything inherently special in itself beyond being, as Darkseid put it, boring, and the many more entities that came from there, such as superboy prime, though powerful and sometimes meta, are not depicted as being particularly more powerful because of they're origins from there. The Multiversity guideline even goes as far as to say no one knows exactly how Earth Prime affects the multiverse and even extremely advanced civilizations like the Monitors treat it as a glorified database server for the information of the rest of the multiverse.

I've already addressed this before. This was my response, to be exact:

To elaborate a bit more on cases of this nature: If, for example, there is a parallel universe that just so happens to be one where the events of other universes are stored as works of fiction (In the vein of Earth-33 from DC), then that would be disqualified from any sort of Reality-Fiction Transcendence because the "real world people" there don't actually hold any sort of transcendence over said works. They are as real as the entities they believe to be characters, and the latter are, speaking from an objective, physical standpoint, no more fictional to them than long-gone historical figures whose biographies are chronicled in books are to us. That would be a case where there is not any form of literal reality-fiction interaction at play, regardless of whatever semantics you want to play around with.

And as far as I see, nothing suggests the UT Player is a similar situation to that, at all, especially given their role as an active, external observer influencing the gameworld, instead of someone that's just in a parallel universe resembling real life.

This part matters the most.
Not really a matter of perspective. From the Tiering System page:

And before you or someone else nitpicks the use of "akin" there:

So, yes, as far as I see, your issues lie more with the standards than with the case at hand.
"trivialize everything below them into insignificance, normally by perceiving them as akin to fictional constructs or something infinitesimal." doesn't necessarily mean that all kinds of fiction portrayed in-universe are this "lower" levels of existence next to the "higher", real levels of existence it's referring to. Otherwise it would say something like "trivialize everything below them into insignificance, for example by perceiving them as fictional constructs or something infinitesimal.", as to say "normally" and "akin to" mean that; they being "fictional constructs or something infinitesimal" may fit our criteria in some context but not all situations. So they being "fictional constructs or something infinitesimal" doesn't always fit our criteria, which means they are ways to create "lower" realities that are seen as "fictional constructs or something infinitesimal" in which there is no Reality-Fiction Transcendence, and that easily contradicts your idea that there is no such thing as "There are many ways of seeing something as fiction, and the one that gives Low 1-C shouldn't necessarily be the default" in what our standards say. This is not a nitpick nor semantics, but literally what the text communicates, this thing I said about it is what any normal person would understand from it.

More to it, if there was a "lower" reality seen as something infinitesimal it would very convoluted for them to not have a Reality-Fiction Transcendence, based on common sense. As such, that "normally" and "akin to" should more so refer to "fictional constructs", fictional constructs/fiction is what does not always fit to our criteria for Reality-Fiction Transcendence, which makes perfect sense as why would it always fit, it's common to see verses where fiction can punch real things in the face & other things real people do to each other, clearly fictional constructs/fiction would need better evidence to hold Reality-Fiction Transcendence. This all comes deconstructed relatively slow so we can all keep up with and understand the thought process, but the conclusions are much faster from the initial text, from me and anyone reading it.

That from the Tiering System, now on the Tiering System FQA, again, "literal fiction" =/= any form of "fiction" portrayed in a verse, on the basis that not all forms of fiction in verses fit our criteria. "Literal fiction" most likely is a poorly worded way to say "the forms of fiction that fit our criteria for Reality-Fiction Transcendence, unlike the forms of fiction that do not".

Hate to bump an old thread but by our sites standards this is easily Low 1-C. If people have a problem with the way the standards are implemented that's a different matter entirely for a different CRT.

You and efficiente's points are mostly subjective and not objective. So very little significance.
There isn't an objective point to be made, it's interpreting the player as a higher dimensional entity because the game recognizes it's own mechanics, thus "it recognizes itself as a game".

That is an interpretation, which has no solice, which is what my point illustrates. The player shouldn't even be a real character.

If we have a problem with the way that R>F is implemented on the wiki then that should be argued in a different CRT.

This is extremely clear cut R>F and we have given it to other verses for less (this obviously isn't an argument because it's a fallacy to compare to other accepted threads/verses)

Charmander/Efficiante's arguments fundamentally boil down to having a problem with R>F in general (I literally can hardly understand Efficientes comments), literally half of this thread is talking about other examples of R>F.

Sans/Flowey have 4th wall awareness and know they are in a video game when they talk to the Player in the guise of Frisk, simple as that.

If we have a problem with the way that R>F is implemented on the wiki then that should be argued in a different CRT.
I'm arguing there's no such thing as a R>F taking place here.

If the Player is not a character, but literally just is sitting at the computer (the anomaly just being their interpretation of our influence), then yes, R>F is happening, but then, the Player isn't a fictional character, and shouldn't even have a profile.

If the Player is a character, then they are the anomaly, which is well established to be an in-universe persona that takes place within the fictional setting, thus, nulling R>F outright.

The interpretation here is that, the Player is an actual character, it's not literally us, the anomaly isn't referring to the character but just it's influence, and said player views the UT world as fiction. Only then the upgrade makes sense. I don't find the evidence here to be enough to justify and single out this particular interpretation of the events, thus, I disagree.
This is extremely clear cut R>F and we have given it to other verses for less (this obviously isn't an argument because it's a fallacy to compare to other accepted threads/verses)
One example?
Charmander/Efficiante's arguments fundamentally boil down to having a problem with R>F in general (I literally can hardly understand Efficientes comments), literally half of this thread is talking about other examples of R>F.
For me, not at all. I never even attempt to address R>F is not a valid interpretation for 5D, au contrare, I state that such a thing would be valid, but there's no evidence of such being the case for Undertale.
Sans/Flowey have 4th wall awareness and know they are in a video game when they talk to the Player in the guise of Frisk, simple as that.
Sans. Flowey does not show 4th wall awareness, since the influence of the anomaly is treated as an "in-universe" event. They wouldn't need to be aware of the 4th wall to be aware of the "anomaly", aka the Player.

I'm arguing there's no such thing as a R>F taking place here.

If the Player is not a character, but literally just is sitting at the computer (the anomaly just being their interpretation of our influence), then yes, R>F is happening, but then, the Player isn't a fictional character, and shouldn't even have a profile.

If the Player is a character, then they are the anomaly, which is well established to be an in-universe persona that takes place within the fictional setting, thus, nulling R>F outright.
This is straight up ignoring how our R>F interaction standards work.
The interpretation here is that, the Player is an actual character, it's not literally us, the anomaly isn't referring to the character but just it's influence, and said player views the UT world as fiction. Only then the upgrade makes sense. I don't find the evidence here to be enough to justify and single out this particular interpretation of the events, thus, I disagree.
Even the anomaly itself exists outside of the game world. Outside of the gameworld =/= completely outside of the verse itself.
One example?

For me, not at all. I never even attempt to address R>F is not a valid interpretation for 5D, au contrare, I state that such a thing would be valid, but there's no evidence of such being the case for Undertale.

Sans. Flowey does not show 4th wall awareness, since the influence of the anomaly is treated as an "in-universe" event. They wouldn't need to be aware of the 4th wall to be aware of the "anomaly", aka the Player.
The influence of a being from a higher ontology within the game can still be treated as an 'in universe event' while they are still from a higher ontology.

Hate to bump an old thread but by our sites standards this is easily Low 1-C. If people have a problem with the way the standards are implemented that's a different matter entirely for a different CRT.
brother saw 200 posts of arguments, responded to literally none of them and posted a two-liner stating that everyone just has a problem with site standards

actually go through some of the stuff since people were still debating about it

This is straight up ignoring how our R>F interaction standards work.
How? Why are you not capable of elaborating the simplest thought? How would one who does not see your point be able to agree with you if all you do is send me two lines of text stating that I am wrong because you believe so?
Even the anomaly itself exists outside of the game world. Outside of the gameworld =/= completely outside of the verse itself.
The game-world is the verse itself. You'd need to prove that something higher exists beyond said game world and below our real world.
The influence of a being from a higher ontology within the game can still be treated as an 'in universe event' while they are still from a higher ontology.
See, the whole "higher ontology" part has not been proved. At all.
The dialogue very much implies the anomaly is something inside the Universe itself, and then states "that was you, wasn't it?", which can both mean that the anomaly is the heart and/or a being inside said Universe, or just an influence.
Both don't lead to a definitive answer.

Ultima is probably not going to change his mind anytime soon and since more agreements than disagreements. It's fair to assume this can be applied by any stretch of the word.

How? Why are you not capable of elaborating the simplest thought? How would one who does not see your point be able to agree with you if all you do is send me two lines of text stating that I am wrong because you believe so?
That's randomly personal...I certainly can I was just asked for my input on the thread.
The game-world is the verse itself. You'd need to prove that something higher exists beyond said game world and below our real world.
The fact that the player views the game world as you know 'a game' is such evidence.
See, the whole "higher ontology" part has not been proved. At all.
The dialogue very much implies the anomaly is something inside the Universe itself, and then states "that was you, wasn't it?", which can both mean that the anomaly is the heart and/or a being inside said Universe, or just an influence.
Both don't lead to a definitive answer.
Again like fundamentally this comes down to if you believe 'the player' sees the gameworld as fiction and I agree with this based on the evidence in the OP so.

I still dislike how some of us are being told to "prove ontology" existing in a verse. It's not some grand complex maunder of dialogue like platonism, it's just "the study of being and whether things exist or not". Likewise, I will send the definition of it again. It's extremely relevant to what we're arguing so if we can all understand that it is not a proposition, it is an approach as those are fundamentally two different area's of discussion, we all be fine from this point on.

This is just like the kirby cosmology upgrade again.

Yeah didn't flowey directly called who can't bring to play genocide, and just watch it, ******* or something along the line?
The quote is kinda ambiguous, Flowey might've been talking about sans and alphys there, but he then says this.

Those pathetic people that want to see it, but are too weak to do it themselves.
I bet someone like that’s watching right now, aren’t they…?
I severely doubt either sans or alphys would want to watch their kind get slaughtered. It would makes more sense that Flowey is only referring to the those people who watch videos or livestreams of others playing the genocide route I would think, yea.

anyway, I feel a couple people would appreciate seeing the tally atm, so after counting all the votes this seems to be it.

Agree: Ultima, Greatsage, Yemma, Zencha, ShivaShakti, Deonment, Jibz, livinmeme, originlima, blackcurrant, kingpin (11)
Disagree: ShockingPsychic, Charmander, efficiente, saikou, moritza, the techmaster, Hasty, Risci, Delta333, cosmicwreck (10)
Neutral: Mariogoods (although was fine with low 1-C UT player) , Andytrenom, Digianymore, Doge, Kflare, Tyranodoom (6)

Last edited:
Oh yeah unless flower is saying that sans wants to commit genocide, then that wouldn't make much sense if it wasn't directed to the players

Those pathetic people that want to see it, but are too weak to do it themselves.
I bet someone like that’s watching right now, aren’t they…?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back