• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Undertale CRT: Low 1-C Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but the "This person agreed, so you must be mostly inaccurate" mentality is completely biased.
You don't disagree with their arguments, you disagree with them because they disagree with someone you look up to.
Could you not make such assumptions? All I know is that Ultima has the most knowledge when it comes to the tiering system, never said that the user is 100% correct or omniscient about it. Also quite rude to make it sound like I idolize the user.

If I'm reading this right, you seem to have the idea that beings on higher levels of existence should be "omnipotent" relative to the cosmology beneath them, able to do as they please without limitations. Except that's not necessarily the case. We are absolutely not like that to fictional media in any case, nor could we just go to a lower-dimensional universe and toy with it freely.

Experiencing a passage of time is also not quite an anti-feat unless you're supposed to be "beyond space-time" or whatever, which isn't always the case for tier 1, and no one is arguing that here. We as 3-D beings still exist in the first two dimensions, and a 4-D being would still have to exist in the previous three dimensions, etc.

(And just so you know, I didn't contradict myself here- both "we can't interact with lower-dimensional stuff" and "as 3-D beings we still exist in the first two dimensions" should be obvious to anyone, as long as they use their brain.)
Roughly, it would be something with far more clarity to the mechanics going on. The Reality - Fiction Interaction page needs to be updated it seems, can you source any other page that talks about the manner?
Well, that's not what our standards on this are, so go revise those if you don't like it. Also, doesn't this contradict your previous point?
Again, where are said standards? It doesn't contradict it because I said it was a what-if for the game already having a (valid) Low 2-C / Low 1-C difference.
None of what you said is an anti-feat, though? Obviously we have to follow the rules of whatever game we're playing, but like I said above, we evidently are not "omnipotent" to fiction.
I don't see the feats in the first place due to seeing this standards as deeply flawed and so generous it invites all kinds of characters who are not Low 1-C. What job do this standards even do to portray how anti-feats would look like and what misconceptions to avoid?
???????

What are you even saying here? With all due respect, I genuinely cannot comprehend you right now.
"The player", which is not even their name, needs too much speculation and "an insistence on a lack of evidence being acceptable for certain claims" to be Low 1-C, but then that would mean I would need to see what standards are you talking about, so this doesn't matter.
This doesn't work, because even though the player is infinitely greater than the Undertale world they still interface with it through the medium of a game and as such are constrained by its limits. When you play a game IRL you are still confined by the rules of the game even though you are much greater than it, you cannot break the rules without breaking the game itself, same for a book, one of the main examples we use for R>F, you cannot change the story of the book without changing the book itself. In fact, this even more so proves that the player is tier 1 as they are literally unable to do anything to the world of Undertake without first interfacing through the game because they are literally ontologically greater than it.
  • There is no evidence for the player being "infinitely greater than the Undertale world", you just made that up, they sure would be if they were Low 1-C.
  • There is no evidence that this aren't real limits they have rather limits they work through to limit their Low 1-Cness (Sorry for putting it short and not being exact).
  • I was using examples of how they would still have limits even under their mechanics being so worked out that they would really be like a player playing a game, to show that even still they show limits, that's not the same as they really being an actual player playing a game, because there is no evidence for it, and let alone would your explanation (even if they were a real player playing a game) be a canon reason to justify them in that regard, it would be a baseless headcanon.
  • It doesn't "even more so proves that the player is tier 1", the premise is extremely clearly up its head, having limits is no evidence, making up reasons that make the player be powerful to fix those limits is wrong, and to say that "they are literally ontologically greater than it" is literally made up.

If I'm reading this right, you seem to have the idea that beings on higher levels of existence should be "omnipotent" relative to the cosmology beneath them, able to do as they please without limitations. Except that's not necessarily the case. We are absolutely not like that to fictional media in any case, nor could we just go to a lower-dimensional universe and toy with it freely.

Experiencing a passage of time is also not quite an anti-feat unless you're supposed to be "beyond space-time" or whatever, which isn't always the case for tier 1, and no one is arguing that here. We as 3-D beings still exist in the first two dimensions, and a 4-D being would still have to exist in the previous three dimensions, etc.

(And just so you know, I didn't contradict myself here- both "we can't interact with lower-dimensional stuff" and "as 3-D beings we still exist in the first two dimensions" should be obvious to anyone, as long as they use their brain.)

Well, that's not what our standards on this are, so go revise those if you don't like it. Also, doesn't this contradict your previous point?

None of what you said is an anti-feat, though? Obviously we have to follow the rules of whatever media we consume, but like I said above, we evidently are not "omnipotent" to fiction.

???????

What are you even saying here? With all due respect, I genuinely cannot comprehend you right now.
While you are correct on most things, you have to realize that the arguments provided in the original post do not point towards a higher dimensional existence, and much less Low 1-C.
Low 1-C is utterly not supported by these arguments, for one to be of said tier, they should be able to express higher dimensional power, or abilities that express such level. (As Tier is a representative of Attack Potency, or Hax).

None of the OP's arguments remotely hint towards the player's capabilities of expressing fifth dimensional capabilities, and their arguments seem to focus much more on how the player is in relation to the game. That is not Low 1-C, in no way can the player express Low 1-C levels of abilities.

Both of these do not hint towards a literal player, in no way, shape or form.
Actually, Sans' situation outright contradicts this notion, as we're seen as an anomaly, an actual, fictional manifestation inside the game. Thus, none of these are evidence for "R>F".
In fact, neither even tackle the issue directly.
This is a very blatant misinterpretation of Flowey's word. The line is proposedly ambiguous to trick the player into thinking he knows it's a game.
Why?
Because literally 10 seconds after this line, Flowey says, "But this little game between us will never end". This line alone disproves this evidence entirely.

This is referring to the fact Frisk is unpredictable, and Flowey sees all the underground as a game. The game between them is likely referring to Asriel trying to reset the timeline and fighting to keep "Chara" here, so he can have fun.
  • At the end of the genocide route, chara seems to be directly speaking to you, the player.
Again, this is just guesswork. A suggestion.
This isn't solid at all.
I would also like to point out that the game mechanics double as in-verse mechanics as well. Such as gerson knowing you cant kill him cause you haven’t entered a fight with him, asgore destroying the mercy button, Chara and Omega Flowey affecting the game window, SAVEs and LOADS, etc.
Metafiction.
Game Mechanics are canon to the universe of Undertale, to its lore, its characters, and its supernatural abilities.
Not a hint of 4th wall awareness.

Well, on those other comments, there is no need to get slightly personal (anymore) on the thread, we can leave that manner there, and anyone can of course talk to anyone on walls or private messages.

Why are you going back and forth?
The OP has a total of 5 arguments.

3 are guesses based on interpretations or suggestions.
1 is flat out incorrect
and 1 is evidence of GM being Canon to the verse.

The original post has nothing of substance to support such a tier.

Low 1-C is utterly not supported by these arguments, for one to be of said tier, they should be able to express higher dimensional power, or abilities that express such level. (As Tier is a representative of Attack Potency, or Hax).

None of the OP's arguments remotely hint towards the player's capabilities of expressing fifth dimensional capabilities, and their arguments seem to focus much more on how the player is in relation to the game. That is not Low 1-C, in no way can the player express Low 1-C levels of abilities.
I'll let someone else tackle your other counterarguments, but I wanna clear this one up first.

Proving tier 1 based on reality-fiction stuff, whether or not it is tied to higher dimensions, is quite a different beast compared to proving tier 1 based on higher dimensions alone. The latter requires you to prove that you can affect all of the dimensions that you should scale to to an infinite degree, but the former has no such prerequisite: simply seeing a world as less real than yourself is enough, regardless of your actual area of effect. To quote the tiering system FAQ:

Q: When are higher dimensions valid, then?

A:
One of the more straightforward ways to qualify for Tier 2 and up through higher dimensions is by affecting whole higher-dimensional universes which can embed the whole of lower-dimensional ones within themselves. For example: A cosmology where the entirety of our 3-dimensional universe is in fact a subset of a much greater 4-dimensional space, or generalizations of this same scenario to higher numbers of dimensions; i.e A cosmology where the four-dimensional spacetime continuum is just the infinitesimal surface of a 5-dimensional object, and etc.

However, vaguer cases where a universe is merely stated to be higher-dimensional while existing in a scaling vacuum with no previously established relationship of superiority towards lower-dimensional ones (or no evidence to infer such a relationship from) should be analysed more carefully. In such cases where information as to their exact nature and scale is scarce, it is preferable that the higher dimensions in question be fully-sized in order to qualify.

Furthermore, higher-dimensional entities can also qualify for higher tiers when the verse which they are from explicitly defines them as being infinitely above lower-dimensional ones in power and/or existential status. An example of this being verses such as Umineko no Naku Koro ni. However, lower-dimensional beings being stated to be "flat" in comparision to higher-dimensional aliens is not necessarily grounds for assuming the latter has infinitely more power (For reasons outlined in the answer above), and thus, such scenarios must also be analyzed case-by-case.
Q: How do I determine if something is "transcendent"?

A:
"Transcendence" is a vague term which can be used in several contexts, many of which do not at all align with how it is normally used in our forums, as it simply means "to go beyond the ordinary", first and foremost. For example, statements of "transcending space and time" can refer to things like time travel, dimensional travel, or even agelessness in some cases. Hence, it is very preferable to ascertain the meaning of statements involving this term from background context (If there is any), being especially careful around flowery language or purple prose.

Now, one of the most common scenarios where this question might arise is when dealing with cosmologies involving "higher planes of existence" or similar structures. In such cases, it's very important to note what exactly being a "higher plane" entails in the context of the setting: For instance, it's very common for Heaven and Hell to be defined as higher and lower planes of existence respectively in relation to the normal universe, in which case, "higher" and "lower" tends to simply indicate their position in a cosmology, as opposed to any kind of existential status, which is obviously not enough for anything remotely Tier 1.

They can qualify, however, if said "higher plane" is defined as having a relationship of qualitative superiority over lower realms in one way or another, such as by perceiving them as literal fiction/unreality (or being comparatively more "real" in nature), encompassing them in an infinitesimal portion of itself, residing in a higher state of being altogether, and etc.

I don't find the counterarguments very convincing presently (Efi's especially, due to how unintelligible his sentences are.)

I'll let someone else tackle your other counterarguments, but I wanna clear this one up first.

Proving tier 1 based on reality-fiction stuff, whether or not it is tied to higher dimensions, is quite a different beast compared to proving tier 1 based on higher dimensions alone. The latter requires you to prove that you can affect all of the dimensions that you should scale to to an infinite degree, but the former has no such prerequisite: simply seeing a world as less real than yourself is enough, regardless of your actual area of effect. To quote the tiering system FAQ:
That's fair.

Although my point doesn't go off that premise, as I reject the player seeing the game as less real than themselves.
Thank you for actually tackling what I say rather than making jokes about it.

I don't find the counterarguments very convincing presently (Efi's especially, due to how unintelligible his sentences are.)
That is quite interesting.
About the flowey line, I think the point is incorrect in an objective manner.

What did you find particularly strong/hard evidence in the OP? Or what did you particularly didn't agree with in my reply?

I don't see how any of this proves that the player transcends the Undertale universe.

Flowey reveals that you, the player, still have the ability to reset and destroy everything.
Which is a Low 2-C feat according to the profile.
The player is recognized by sans, being considering an anomaly in the spacetime continuum.
? And this is supposed to be a support statement because..?
Flowey outright states that undertale is a game, and right after states that if you win the game, you would stop playing with him.
This is just Flowey breaking the fourth wall and talking directly to you, that's not being transcendent at all, and nowhere in the game such a thing is stated or even implied.

I didn't even know that transcending a Low 2-C/2-C verse can make you 1-C, Tier 1 is just incomprehensible to me.

I don't see how any of this proves that the player transcends the Undertale universe.

Which is a Low 2-C feat according to the profile.

? And this is supposed to be a support statement because..?

This is just Flowey breaking the fourth wall and talking directly to you, that's not being transcendent at all, and nowhere in the game such a thing is stated or even implied.

I didn't even know that transcending a Low 2-C/2-C verse can make you 1-C, Tier 1 is just incomprehensible to me.
Seeing a 4th Dimensional Universe as less real, or fiction, means you're at least 5th dimensional.

Of course, none of these arguments prove the player sees the UT universe as fictional, nor proves the player is "more real" than the game. (Being independent from it doesn't prove it, of course)

If you wanna talk about Deltarune indexing, go take it to DMs or to his message wall. This thread is about upgrading The Player from Undertale.

You can, that's how Wukong got into. Tier 1 albeit in a different way. Viewing fiction as fiction is also another.
He already got that mainly from the cosmological aspect and stuff. Not necessary the same case as this one.

So not a good example per se.
Anyway, neutral overall as the arguments for this being truly Low 1C is not that great though.

If you wanna talk about Deltarune indexing, go take it to DMs or to his message wall. This thread is about upgrading The Player from Undertale.
Deltarune game mechanics are weird we don't know if they are canon or they aren't or if they are in a mid point, doesn't help that the game opperates on different laws of undertale while still sharing some laws, is kinda weird applying undertale laws to deltarune

Last edited:
I mean I think it's rather blatant that Deltarune has similar game mechanics-ish canon, what with the Player being the same entity from Undertale.

Although I will say I disagree with the upgrade. Yes, the Anomaly represents the Player. But nothing indicates that this status as the Player of the game translates 100% literally, up to the point of the Player transcending the Undertale world. No character ever fully references Undertale being an actual video game, with the player transcending it. The references to the player are all indirect and vague, nothing concrete.

Even Flowey's statement about it being a game isn't really literal. He sees this interaction between him and the Player as a "game", but it's clear to me that he doesn't literally consider it a video game with him as a character. it's a funny wink wink metaphor for the game, not literal acknowledgment of it being a game.

An entity in a setting can represent fourth wall elements without translating 100% accurately. Which I do believe to be the case here.

I mean I think it's rather blatant that Deltarune has similar game mechanics-ish canon, what with the Player being the same entity from Undertale.

Although I will say I disagree with the upgrade. Yes, the Anomaly represents the Player. But nothing indicates that this status as the Player of the game translates 100% literally, up to the point of the Player transcending the Undertale world. No character ever fully references Undertale being an actual video game, with the player transcending it. The references to the player are all indirect and vague, nothing concrete.

Even Flowey's statement about it being a game isn't really literal. He sees this interaction between him and the Player as a "game", but it's clear to me that he doesn't literally consider it a video game with him as a character. it's a funny wink wink metaphor for the game, not literal acknowledgment of it being a game.

An entity in a setting can represent fourth wall elements without translating 100% accurately. Which I do believe to be the case here.
I wholeheartedly agree with Saikou.
The upgrade has no solid evidence.

Three save files, Monsters having the same strength as humans, determination is used in another way

I said similar-ish.

Of course it's a different world, but more meta elements should be roughly the same, as the Player is the same entity across both games (and Gaster might be, too)

I suspected that either there was some page I was missing or you were using one I already read & misunderstanding it, and it was the latter.

There is no "the verse which they are from explicitly defines them as being infinitely above lower-dimensional ones in power and/or existential status" here at all, idk why you bring up the first q&a text.

"They can qualify, however, if said "higher plane" is defined as having a relationship of qualitative superiority over lower realms in one way or another, such as by perceiving them as literal fiction/unreality (or being comparatively more "real" in nature), encompassing them in an infinitesimal portion of itself, residing in a higher state of being altogether, and etc."

• "The player"/anomaly does not come from a "higher plane", it just "exists in Undertale, and in the Genocide end will travel to equally as complex "worlds" to mess them up along Chara". There is no "the anomaly's reality" in UT lore.
  • That small approach to "perceiving stuff as fiction" (or "R/F Transcendence" as the op puts it) is extremely limited and doesn't elaborate the manner at all, it just presents it being able to allow Low 1-C. The Reality - Fiction Interaction page I pointed out does it more. You have nothing to back up your claim that the anti-feats I pointed out do not apply, you can't for example say "Experiencing a passage of time is also not quite an anti-feat unless you're supposed to be "beyond space-time" or whatever" when experiencing a passage of time is not something you would do from something that's quote "literal fiction/unreality", you made up that our standards are that generous. Our standards are not "if any reality is fiction (List of what "fiction" is: a dream, tv show/movie, comic, etc.) next to another reality, then that's it, you got Low 1-C. Anti-feats or things that would deny that: You're good".

There is no "the verse which they are from explicitly defines them as being infinitely above lower-dimensional ones in power and/or existential status" here at all, idk why you bring up the first q&a text.
It was just to illustrate my point to GodlyCharmander that "R>F" stuff doesn't require you to significantly affect anything, per our standards. Whether or not the Player actually qualifies for that isn't relevant to what I was telling him, because as I said, I'm overall neutral to this matter even if I lean towards agreement.
  • "The player"/anomaly does not come from a "higher plane", it just "exists in Undertale, and in the Genocide end will travel to equally as complex "worlds" to mess them up along Chara". There is no "the anomaly's reality" in UT lore.
I'm not sure if there necessarily has to be, though? As long as the audience's existence in-universe is established, and as long as they are properly defined as being superior to the fiction they are consuming on an existential level, that's that. The "real world" need not have to be explicitly referenced.

(Again, don't misconstrue me as 100% agreeing with this upgrade, please.)
  • That small approach to "perceiving stuff as fiction" (or "R/F Transcendence" as the op puts it) is extremely limited and doesn't elaborate the manner at all, it just presents it being able to allow Low 1-C. The Reality - Fiction Interaction page I pointed out does it more.
I guess that can be expanded upon, yeah.
  • You have nothing to back up your claim that the anti-feats I pointed out do not apply, you can't for example say "Experiencing a passage of time is also not quite an anti-feat unless you're supposed to be "beyond space-time" or whatever" when experiencing a passage of time is not something you would do from something that's quote "literal fiction/unreality", you made up that our standards are that generous.
Why not, though? Especially when it's a meta detail like the player canonically being ontologically greater than the game. No matter what, you can't just bypass the game's progression completely, even if you're described as being superior to the game's entire world. In fact, if I may, I'd like to direct your attention to this tidbit from that page you just linked:

Firstly, no matter what the author's intentions are, fiction and reality can never fully interact. The real world, and real people can be simulated within fiction, but they will still be fictional representations and characters. As such, no fictional character can be responsible for the creation of "The real world".

Quite explicitly, we state that there is no such thing as a full interaction between the real world and a fictional world, and any simulations of the audience, the author, etc. are just that: simulations. As such, dismissing a potential upgrade based on reality-fiction differences simply because "well the player can't do whatever they want with the game" or any similar argument is disingenuous. If anything, the game would be the medium through which the player can interact with the fictional world, as far as this case and similar ones are concerned.
  • Our standards are not "if any reality is fiction (List of what "fiction" is: a dream, tv show/movie, comic, etc.) next to another reality, then that's it, you got Low 1-C. Anti-feats or things that would deny that: You're good".
I'm well aware that seeing something as fiction is not automatically tier 1, in the same way that we don't give anyone Low 2-C or Low 1-C solely because they exist outside of spacetime. But I'm not sure why you seem to act as though we disregard the possibility of counter-evidence. Maybe the supporters just aren't convinced by your arguments.

I'm not sure if there necessarily has to be, though? As long as the audience's existence in-universe is established, and as long as they are properly defined as being superior to the fiction they are consuming on an existential level, that's that. The "real world" need not have to be explicitly referenced.

(Again, don't misconstrue me as 100% agreeing with this upgrade, please.)
I find this manner very problematic. This isn't something that should be insisted on in a thread for 1 verse, even if you don't 100% agree with the upgrade. Nor do I need to go revise the standards, as you said, that don't even say something this basic. You can't really say that based on no rules, I could be 100% sure that's wrong or think it's wrong while being as unsure there as you are, both of our personal opinions are just as irrelevant. Better rules shoud be made while this thread is ignored.
Why not, though? Especially when it's a meta detail like the player canonically being ontologically greater than the game. No matter what, you can't just bypass the game's progression completely, even if you're described as being superior to the game's entire world. In fact, if I may, I'd like to direct your attention to this tidbit from that page you just linked:

"Firstly, no matter what the author's intentions are, fiction and reality can never fully interact. The real world, and real people can be simulated within fiction, but they will still be fictional representations and characters. As such, no fictional character can be responsible for the creation of "The real world"."

Quite explicitly, we state that there is no such thing as a full interaction between the real world and a fictional world, and any simulations of the audience, the author, etc. are just that: simulations. As such, dismissing a potential upgrade based on reality-fiction differences simply because "well the player can't do whatever they want with the game" or any similar argument is disingenuous. If anything, the game would be the medium through which the player can interact with the fictional world, as far as this case and similar ones are concerned.
What you mean why not? What do you mean "the player canonically being ontologically greater than the game"? You are free to elaborate on that as much as it is possible. You don't have anything to back up how one "can't just bypass the game's progression" if the latter is fiction to them; I'm real and can re-write fiction if it's in my hands, I only won't by sheer conformity with it & how it's meant to be consumed, it's written nowhere that we should always apply the latter generosity to any entity "real" next to what they see as "fiction".

The text you quote is irrelevant to the thread.

Nobody is saying that there is "a full interaction between the real world and a fictional world", the text you quoted refers to our real, real world, and for the Low 1-C stat to be legit there would need to be an in-game "the real world" that sees UT as nothing but fiction. The whole argument is based on a misinterpretation.
I'm well aware that seeing something as fiction is not automatically tier 1, in the same way that we don't give anyone Low 2-C or Low 1-C solely because they exist outside of spacetime. But I'm not sure why you seem to act as though we disregard the possibility of counter-evidence. Maybe the supporters just aren't convinced by your arguments.
Then this is downright malefic, how can you be "aware that seeing something as fiction is not automatically tier 1" but yet quote me something saying otherwise ("such as by perceiving them as literal fiction/unreality (or being comparatively more "real" in nature)"). You go off entirely by rules and standards that we do not have written but yet you think you know of them, how to apply them & what to do in certain situations, to do that and act as if said rules and standards are real is horrible. At least you do admit in parts when you're not sure and that our rules are vague.

This thread should be left while how the whole wiki deals with this is dealt with first & as a priority. The tiering Q&A saying that bit and the Reality - Fiction Interaction page should be changed first, or else taking part in this thread becomes a massive waste of time for everyone and oppressive for anyone not going by imaginary rules.

I frankly am shocked with how serious people are taking a post with 5 sticks and a stone for evidence. The sheer amount of evidence needed to even prove a relationship of utter existential superiority doesn't even compare to the puny, and vague amounts of evidence present in the original post.

While I do agree that the standards and rules for "reality>fiction" interactions is vague, and honestly just poorly explained, there isn't even a remote hint that this interaction is what transpires in Undertale. So this thread should not be put on hold due to the wiki dealing with "reality>fiction", because this has yet to be proven. As I have tackled before, most of the conclusions are great exaggerations of the evidence presented.
  • They show knowledge of the game mechanics, thus they surely know this is a game.
  • They talk to the anomaly which is blatantly a representation of us, so the anomaly surely views Undertale as a game.
  • The anomaly exists independently from the Undertale universe, thus it surely is a literal player, coming from a "more real" state of being. (This is the only conclusion that justifies Low 1-C).
None of the premises even get close to justify the conclusion. The original post is nothing but fallacious non-sequiturs, and people are just going, "Well, I agree. The counterarguments doesn't seem convincing". Even though the proposals can't work on a logical standard.

I do not care if 300 staff's agree with the OP, if it's logically flawed, it's certainly not going to be applied, and consequential threads will emerge from it if it does.

A lot of the stuff in Undertale is 4th wall leaning rather than explicit acknowledgement that the world is fictional (Even SAVE and LOAD seems to be just time manipulation named in a meta way going by Flowey's backstory) Omega Flowey changing the game, Chara acknowledging stats and Flowey acknowledging letsplayers I can believe are legit 4th wall breaks though

What are all the instances that confirm the player's existence btw? I know they are a thing but it would be good to look at all the information surrounding their nature

A lot of the stuff in Undertale is 4th wall leaning rather than explicit acknowledgement that the world is fictional (Even SAVE and LOAD seems to be just time manipulation named in a meta way going by Flowey's backstory) Omega Flowey changing the game, Chara acknowledging stats and Flowey acknowledging letsplayers I can believe are legit 4th wall breaks though.
Omega Flowey and Chara seems extensions of the in-verse mechanics, Stats are a part of the lore, HP is mentioned by random NPCs. Chara isn't limited to mention
The flowey thing is a suggestion, could be about the anomaly, which Flowey has knowledge of. (Remember, he believes Frisk is Chara, so even though he is speaking to the screen, he is not talking to us directly)
What are all the instances that confirm the player's existence btw? I know they are a thing but it would be good to look at all the information surrounding their nature
As a player, none by name, only suggestions.
Even then, Sans tells Frisk about the "anomaly", responsible for making timelines stop and start, etc, aka, us. Meaning our presence is represented by a fictional being in-game, thus, eliminating the chances that the anomaly necessarily sees the Undertale World as fictional.

Metafiction.
Game Mechanics are canon to the universe of Undertale, to its lore, its characters, and its supernatural abilities.
Not a hint of 4th wall awareness.
If you agree that they are, in fact, canonically game mechanics, then you agree that Undertale is canonically acknowledged as being a video game, and that the Player is thus a fairly literal contextualization of us within the verse's setting, instead of some entity that acts as a stand-in. Either you try to justify it all as in-verse mechanics that resemble the workings of a videogame, or you effectively agree to that thread's proposal. I really do not see how any middle ground exists here.

Really, this is just what the crux of the thread is: Undertale is canonically a videogame, and the Player is acknowledged as an actual entity with an effect within the setting, and therefore the profiles are to acknowledge exactly what this entails. So far I haven't seen a lick of proper reasoning supporting the claims that Undertale is not actually acknowledged as a videogame and that all of the verse mechanics are just things that happen to resemble video game elements (Something that is far more of a leap than just saying "Yes, those are just the game mechanics being canonized into the setting.")

"R/F Transcendence" went too out of hand in its use, it's more appealed as a rule that "should" allow Low 1-C rather than Low 1-C being logically concluded. If the real world & reality was nothing but a comic to a Low 1-C realm in the same way we see a comic, with everything there being nothing, all points in time there from the start to end being nothing, then that's all 1 thing. But if the comic was some place that character X can appear in and have god-like powers, but with rules & limitations to it, in which they exist only in the present regardless of what more fancy superpowers they can do to time, and there is no implication to this being nothing to character X, then that's not the same. Yeah they can mess with a reality that's "a comic", and in our real world "the setting inside a comic is nothing", but it's beyond stupid that this was some rule that always applies to realities that were portrayed as some work of fiction from the point of view of another reality, that's made up and dogmaic. Same with "a dream", "a game", "a tv show/movie", etc. Fiction can just as likely make them ways to enter into other realities just as real, or inferior in some regards, but w/o a Low 2-C / Low 1-C difference between them.
This thread should be left while how the whole wiki deals with this is dealt with first & as a priority. The tiering Q&A saying that bit and the Reality - Fiction Interaction page should be changed first, or else taking part in this thread becomes a massive waste of time for everyone and
None of those protests actually matter here. We treat viewing a reality as literal fiction as being enough to qualify for a level of transcendence over it, and that is that, especially if this reality actually exists as a lower world of its own. This is something that has been agreed to for a long, long time now, and I don't think we ought to change that just because you misunderstand how the Tiering System works.

As for the other stuff, though, I'll frankly ask you to concisely summarize what exactly your overall point is. No offense intended but I can tell English is your second language, and, being very blunt here, much of what you're saying is incomprehensible to me.

Even then, Sans tells Frisk about the "anomaly", responsible for making timelines stop and start, etc, aka, us. Meaning our presence is represented by a fictional being in-game, thus, eliminating the chances that the anomaly necessarily sees the Undertale World as fictional.
That doesn't necessarily preclude the existence of a literal Player, no. I don't see at all how it does, in fact. A metafictional entity having impact on the setting at all does not make it into a non-metafictional character.

As an answer to your question, though, Andy, I'd say Flowey's monologue to the screen at the end of the Pacifist Route is the biggest indicator of the Player's presence, given he is talking directly to the force that has the power to completely reset the timeline, which he identifies as "YOU" (Appropriate, since we are the ones who are given the choice to reset the game or not afterwards) and explicitly sets as distinct from Frisk. ShockingPsychic seemed to argue against that by saying he was talking to Chara, but I believe I've already explained why that can't really be the case at the start of the thread.

If you agree that they are, in fact, canonically game mechanics, then you agree that Undertale is canonically acknowledged as being a video game, and that the Player is thus a fairly literal contextualization of us within the verse's setting, instead of some entity that acts as a stand-in. Either you try to justify it all as in-verse mechanics that resemble the workings of a videogame, or you effectively agree to that thread's proposal. I really do not see how any middle ground exists here.
This is the greatest example of non-sequitur, or in worse terms, "false equivalency".
No, the mechanics of the game being canonical to the lore and world of Undertale does not equate in the very concept of a fictionalized video game also being a canonical fact in the view of said characters, or inside the world. No, one doesn't justify the other, you're making leaps in logic.

All the mechanics being canon do is telling us how their reality operates, that the mechanics are translated to tangible reality from the perspectives of the fictional character. This does not escalate to anything othet than what has been shown, and the game never ever talks about itself as a "game" from the viewpoint of its characters. The whole premise is based on a false connection, and a middle ground is perfectly in sight, as one does not result in the other, again.
Really, this is just what the crux of the thread is:
I will do a fun little experiment, and count how many unsupported and untrue statements you make in the following sentences.
Undertale is canonically a videogame
Unsupported.
and the Player is acknowledged as an actual entity with an effect within the setting
Mostly unsupported, we're not viewed as a player, we're viewed as a fictional force outside of the universe, not necessarily said force will be of higher existence in relation to the verse.
and therefore the profiles are to acknowledge exactly what this entails. So far I haven't seen a lick of proper reasoning supporting the claims that Undertale is not actually acknowledged as a videogame and that all of the verse mechanics are just things that happen to resemble video game elements (Something that is far more of a leap than just saying "Yes, those are just the game mechanics being canonized into the setting.")
What should we prove a negative? You seem under the very strange confirmation bias that, because something resembles a concept, then said concept must also be applied.

No, not at all. A verse which has video game elements as real mechanics that character must follow as their reality does not mean said verse is canonically a videogame from the perspective of the fictional setting. This can be viewed in various Isekai, or RPG Anime and Novels. Of course, the example isn't 1:1 with Undertale, but it's just to show that elements like these appear in other forms of media without the conclusion being that.
A verse which has computer-like mechanics that a character must follow as their reality does not mean the verse happens inside of a computer.

I could go on, and on. But the conclusion is simply false, Ultima.
That doesn't necessarily preclude the existence of a literal Player, no.
It does acts as a rebuttal to the evidence used to prove as such. The anomaly is directly mentioned as an anomaly, and is very clearly meant to be our influence, thus, all the evidence that suggests the characters are referring to the player automatically gain another explanation, that in fact, the characters are speaking to this fictional anomaly, thus making this already sketchy evidence to become even sketchier.

It doesn't negate the probability of a literal player, but that has not been proven yet, there isn't even enough evidence for a "possibly" rating on the respective profile, much less a solid one.

I didn't want to get involved but seeing as this is just back and forth, I'll give my two cents with a grain of salt.
This is the greatest example of non-sequitur, or in worse terms, "false equivalency".
No, the mechanics of the game being canonical to the lore and world of Undertale does not equate in the very concept of a fictionalized video game also being a canonical fact in the view of said characters, or inside the world. No, one doesn't justify the other, you're making leaps in logic.

All the mechanics being canon do is telling us how their reality operates, that the mechanics are translated to tangible reality from the perspectives of the fictional character. This does not escalate to anything othet than what has been shown, and the game never ever talks about itself as a "game" from the viewpoint of its characters. The whole premise is based on a false connection, and a middle ground is perfectly in sight, as one does not result in the other, again.
The OP as well as Ultima are clearly basing off the proposition of an idea called "ontology". Not sure if you're very familiar with it but I'll break it down:
  • Ontology is the study of being, or rather the nature of being in reality, which in itself going off of the general metaphysics that encompasses it, centralizes the sub-category of ontology within the viewpoint of reality, being in a centralized and adequate system of concepts, that define reality.

• Likewise due to this, if you are acknowledging game mechanics being inverse governing laws/concepts, then you are inherently saying that the so called "tangible reality" is a collective sense of Undertale that includes all its phenomena, events, places, people, etc.
If you understand that much let's move on.

Mostly unsupported, we're not viewed as a player, we're viewed as a fictional force outside of the universe, not necessarily said force will be of higher existence in relation to the verse.
Being a force "outside the universe" which is quote 'Undertale', and also acting as an ontologically higher state of being or more conversely information, can qualify. And I'd like to bring this up from earlier:
This actually does refer to a player, his dialogue make pretty clear reference
"I'm talking about YOU"
"let frisk be happy"
then proceeds to say the name of the player
(the one we chose before starting the Adeventure)
All of that being very indicative towards a force, that is able to control frisk, lies outside the game's rules and thus reality.
I could go on, and on. But the conclusion is simply false, Ultima.
I'd like to move my vote to neutral, because I'd like to see maybe a shake of sand more evidence, but I'd like to point out to you that the conclusion isn't simply false, if this is obviously still being discussed. There's obviously some sense to what is being argued. I just think you're misunderstanding what the reasoning behind the premise is and that you are only attacking what the premise says, not what it means.

The OP as well as Ultima are clearly basing off the proposition of an idea called "ontology". Not sure if you're very familiar with it but I'll break it down:
  • Ontology is the study of being, or rather the nature of being in reality, which in itself going off of the general metaphysics that encompasses it, centralizes the sub-category of ontology within the viewpoint of reality, being in a centralized and adequate system of concepts, that define reality.

• Likewise due to this, if you are acknowledging game mechanics being inverse governing laws/concepts, then you are inherently saying that the so called "tangible reality" is a collective sense of Undertale that includes all its phenomena, events, places, people, etc.
If you understand that much let's move on.
What is the evidence for ontology here? Because just having mechanics governing the reality certainly isn't enough. How does scarce evidence that have a humongous amount of red herring and different interpretations justify such an ideology? It doesn't.
You, the OP, and Ultima are literally just saying things and reaching ideas and conclusion without the proper necessary justification for it, making leaps in logic.
Being a force "outside the universe" which is quote 'Undertale', and also acting as an ontologically higher state of being or more conversely information, can qualify. And I'd like to bring this up from earlier:

This actually does refer to a player, his dialogue make pretty clear reference
"I'm talking about YOU"
"let frisk be happy"

All of that being very indicative towards a force, that is able to control frisk, lies outside the game's rules and thus reality.
I do not have to repeat myself and say this is not hard evidence due to the inherently proposed ambiguity of making Flowey say the fallen human's name (which doesn't necessarily match ours), making possible that Flowey is just misinterpreting the anomaly for said fallen human, like he did in quite literally every other route of the game.
I'd like to move my vote to neutral, because I'd like to see maybe a shake of sand more evidence, but I'd like to point out to you that the conclusion isn't simply false, if this is obviously still being discussed. There's obviously some sense to what is being argued. I just think you're misunderstanding what the reasoning behind the premise is and that you are only attacking what the premise says, not what it means.
"If it's still being discussed, it has some sense behind it".
People being unreasonable and pushy doesn't equate in the OP having some sense.

I'm attacking what the premise is trying to say, because I do not believe it means what the original post deliberately is trying to say it means. Again, the evidence is scarce, extremely scarce, and the conclusions being drawn from the scarce evidence is far greater than what its trying to propose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back