• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Touhou Discussion Thread 3 ⌈Eternal Fantasy Edition⌋

Also, I must say that my favorite Touhou artist is Fusu. He is a very good artist and I love his comics a lot. I don't get why r/touhou hated him so much, he is overhated.

what is it about? It is very long and I can't find a synopsis nor anyone on the internet talking about it. If that's the case, I am hesitant to read it.
Protag get isekaied into Gensokyo by the gaps, get a secret god-slaying sword from a legendary samurai.

Beaten by Reimu because of misunderstanding, goes to solve scarlet devil incident, incite the entire fairy faction to go to war.

Someone summon a lesser cthulhu deity and he beats it, and its Summoner with good ol hand to hand beating.

Stopped Kaguya and Mokou stupid conflict, turned into half demon and half human by Lucifer.

His Extermination of Youkai destroyed mountains and almost destroyed the hill of Hakurei shrine lol.

Get BFR'd into Makai, someone summon a ******* Yggdrasil tree into Gensokyo, protag collect enough demonic energy and punch straight from Makai to the Yggdrasil.

Fight Thor on equal footing, slain Jormugandr in a crossfire. All with broken arm, rib and damaged brain.

Goes straight up to Odin throne, fight Flandre with one hand and defeat her, protag become a true demon.

Then he fight the entire protagonist cast of Touhou and almost win if Lucifer didn't arrive.

Get dunked by Lucifer almighty spell (megidolaon) many times that i even don't ******* know how he is even alive.

And that is only in arc 1 to 3.

And if you ask if the protagonist is OP, no he is not, almost all of his victory is a pryhic victory with missing limb or damaged body parts.

It just his willpower is transcended the limit of humanity lol.

Protag get isekaied into Gensokyo by the gaps, get a secret god-slaying sword from a legendary samurai.

Beaten by Reimu because of misunderstanding, goes to solve scarlet devil incident, incite the entire fairy faction to go to war.

Someone summon a lesser cthulhu deity and he beats it, and its Summoner with good ol hand to hand beating.

Stopped Kaguya and Mokou stupid conflict, turned into half demon and half human by Lucifer.

His Extermination of Youkai destroyed mountains and almost destroyed the hill of Hakurei shrine lol.

Get BFR'd into Makai, someone summon a ******* Yggdrasil tree into Gensokyo, protag collect enough demonic energy and punch straight from Makai to the Yggdrasil.

Fight Thor on equal footing, slain Jormugandr in a crossfire. All with broken arm, rib and damaged brain.

Goes straight up to Odin throne, fight Flandre with one hand and defeat her, protag become a true demon.

Then he fight the entire protagonist cast of Touhou and almost win if Lucifer didn't arrive.

Get dunked by Lucifer almighty spell (megidolaon) many times that i even don't ******* know how he is even alive.

And if you ask if the protagonist is OP, no he is not, almost all of his victory is a pryhic victory with missing limb or damaged body parts.

I don't think I've heard of a less appealing story. This sucks.

The entire reason all of this is happening is because he want to protect Gensokyo and love Reimu in the 4th arc.

His past is erased and God hate him, and the connection between PC 98 and widows era is straight up depressing.

"...We of the Hieda clan have recorded every event of Gensokyo without missing a detail. My ancestor, Hieda no Are, has bowed to do so, along with everyone of her bloodline. Including me." She calmly said, not flinching at my outburst.

"But you're basically slaves!" I shouted. "Always bound to be just chroniclers! Don't you guys have ever felt the need of freedom or what? !"

"Freedom..."

"Wait a minute... Are? One of the compilers of the Kojiki?"

The Kojiki?

"You're correct, Glid-san." Akyu answered. "Yes, Hieda no Are was one of those who helped on the creation of the oldest chronicle of Japan."

Yeah, yeah, good to know. The important thing is that I'm still pissed you gave your freedom away like that. I mean, I...I just can't swallow the idea of someone giving away his or her freedom for the sake of something other than themselves. I mean, what the hell? That's crazy talk. Crazy talk from the bottom of the sea.

"...It seems we have different ideals." Thanks for pointing that out, Akyu. It really was necessary.

"Well, obviously! You are cool with throwing away your freedom. Me and the kid value our own freedom and nobody tells us what to do!"

"...Like the asshole said, but at least I don't want to go on a killing spree."

"Oh come on!"

"...Apparently, you are a really selfish person." Akyu noted.

"I won't deny it." I said with honesty. "If I deny it, it will be worse later. I'm sorry about that part of my behavior."

"...I...see." Akyu said, but with discomfort.

...Dammit. I did it again, didn't I? I just made another person distrustful of me. Sometimes, I just want to control myself when saying things I shouldn't.

I must fix this.

"...Hey, sorry about that. I really should control myself." I said.

"No, don't apologize." That was fast. "After all, I have been around for a long time..." That isn't a good joke, you know.

She stood up, looking melancholic.

"I...my ancestors were asked many times the same thing. It's nothing out of the ordinary for me, you know."

"So you have steeled your resolve around that, then?" I said. "No regrets?"

"..."

I better stop this inquiry.

"Okay, I won't ask anymore since you don't look comfortable at all." I sighed.

"...Thanks."

She drank her cup of tea to relax herself a bit. However, she remembered something and quickly stood up.

"Ah! I forgot!" Akyu said as she ran towards the entrance. "I have to pick up something for Kawashiwara-san. Even though I still insist I don't need to study, she treats me still like a child...sigh Oh well...you can leave the tray with the tea there if you want. It was...interesting to meet you."

You ignored the "nice". How very dodgy.

She left in quite a hurry.

…It seems the only thing I am skilled at is at not dying and making other people uncomfortable.

"So what? Look, just ignore the bitches, aight?"

Whatever.

...Well, I better get out of...

…? Why is there a scroll with Reimu's drawing on it?

…Better question is, why is her appearance so different? I mean, her hair isn't purple. It's black. And her clothes are also different.

Yet the name Reimu Hakurei is on the scroll. What the hell is this?

"Hold on, there she is." Huh?

Thanks to Glid, I noticed that there was another image of Reimu right next to her. This one was the regular Reimu.

"Here, read this shit."

"This "...don't know why she changed her look like that, but..."? She changed her look out of the blue?

So she dyed her hair black?"

No. Doing something like that is just stupid. I can't image Reimu changing her appearance for anything. Then, who is this "purple Reimu"? ! She can't be Reimu!

"Sure? Then explain how that's possible?"

I...er...

Anyways, why am I getting too riled up by this? I don't know, but I have a really bad feeling about this.

I kept reading.

The story of the Hakurei clan dates back to the late years of the Heian era, when they still didn't reach their current status. During that period, youkai and humans were in open conflict, apart from the current Heiji rebellion, which involved the Fujiwara, the Taira and the Minamoto. Bear in mind that the Hakurei clan was not the only clan dedicated to exorcism. Several other clans which names faded into obscurity also bloomed in this period.

The Hakurei were gifted with extraordinary abilities at exorcism, blessings and barrier creation, the latter being the one that made them renowned and famous among the townsfolk. However, they were very secretive and secluded themselves from society, believing that they would lose their abilities if they mingled with the villagers.

Youkai from that era were fearful of the Hakurei. Not only because of their skills, but because they had no mercy in front of youkai and other paranormal phenomena. The clan consisted of several members in the past, reaching its peak of members in the early years of the Sengoku era.

Then...something happened.

The Hakurei bloodline started to decline. At the time of this writing, neither I, Hieda no Akyu, nor the public itself of that era knew the cause of this. It might have been due to the Tokugawa period being an era of stability, lessening the needs of exorcists due to the lack of conflict during that time. This, however, is just a hypothesis, so don't take my words for granted. In any case, the number of family members of the Hakurei clan started to fall. Youkai who resented the Hakurei family noticed this and tried eliminating them, but they were as strong as always. But the fact still remained, their numbers were fading.

At the dawn of this new era, only Reimu Hakurei remains as the sole member of the Hakurei clan. She follows her clan's wishes, even if her personality changed abruptly in her teens. I remember she was more responsible that she is now...

...Just what...what is this?

I understood the words, yes. I really understood what Akyu meant.

Yet I feel that this hides something very wrong about the Hakurei clan.

...Feel? No, that's not right. I don't have proof to even feel worried about that. After all, why should I even feel worried about something that does not concern me at all, while also having to worry about YHVH?

No. I'll forget this. I don't have the time nor the sanity enough to dig myself into something about someone else's family.

"You're sure about that?" Shut up. "'Cause it sounds interesting to me."

"No. No. I won't get involved in this crap."

Better put this thing back in its shelf, then. No more. No more involvement in anything. It only causes bone fractures and me getting either angry or to near-death status...

"...So now what?"

I really don't know where am I, but I can clearly see the sky. No clouds whatsoever. Still cold, though.

I'm...calm now.

"Well, that's up to you, now that you finally got your shit together."

Right. No more tormenting myself. Time to plan this thing.

Let's see...how can I survive God?

"And that is the golden question..."

...Hm? I'm not certain, but it seems that I reached a graveyard. Odd. I was guessing Gensokyo's graveyard to be Haku...Hagyo...whatever... Guess the villagers keep their own graveyard just in case.

I really have a high respect of graveyards. Well, more like respect for the dead than anything.

"Says the guy who was okay to kill zombies and bacteria skeletons that day."

That was a different situation. Those zombies tried to kill me.

Still, this place is really quiet. And I like it.

"I thought you were going to say something like..."Too quiet...""

Nah. Graveyards being quiet are A-okay. Noisy graveyards...well, that's another story.

Eh, what the hell. Might as well take a stroll here. I mean, I really don't know this place.

...Hold on. What is this?

!

Is this the...?

"Hey, look at this thing! Seem's the red-white family has a grave here!"

...It cleary says "Hakurei" over the tombstone. It was clean and had flowers and treats over it.

Why do I feel that something's not right in this picture?

"What do you mean?"

Well...you know how Reimu is. Lazy, caring only about herself and only thinking about donations and followers. I know it sounds wrong, but I don't see her with time enough to visit her family.

The clan consisted of several members in the past, reaching its peak of members in the early years of the Sengoku era.

Then...something happened.

There's that sensation again. Something's wrong.

Ignore it. Just ignore it. I vowed to myself not to dig myself deeper.

...No. Wait. Why do I feel someone's telling me to ignore it?

No. I can't ignore.

...I have to ignore it. Let's go ba-

NO! There's something...there's something really wrong here.

At the dawn of this new era, only Reimu Hakurei remains as the sole member of the Hakurei clan. She follows her clan's wishes, even if her personality changed abruptly in her teens.

My head...! My head...!

It feels like someone...is putting words into my mouth!

"Then fight it! Don't that shit control you!" Glid said.

"Grr...ngh..."

I'm not thinking really...straight right now.

Must think crazy.

(WHAM!)

"Oof!"

Okay...slamming my head into a random tombstone worked...for now.

"But what was that all about?"

"No idea. However, maybe..."

Louis said I'm fictional...which may or may not be a lie. Still, this strange event made me realize that, yes, someone is...or was putting words in my mouth!

...Wait, if that someone could do that to me...then what stopped him from doing so to everyone around here? Could Reimu and the others have been controlled like I was?

Were they really themselves...or controlled so that I spoke only with the idea that this someone had about them...?

This is crazy!

"But hey, you know what? It might just be the truth."

"I mean, this little experience makes you wonder if you were only a puppet who is just noticing the strings...What if these stupid girls around here didn't spoke by themselves and only expressed what this someone thought of them? Hey, I know! What if all the conversations you had with the red-white were fake? !"

No. I refuse to believe that! I just loathe the idea of some jerk trying to control me!

I won't allow that anymore!

"So then, what are you going to do about it?"

For some reason, this someone tried to make me leave from this place. This grave of the Hakurei's...what the hell is buried here?

...I know I won't like this, but I guess I have to profane a grave. I...I really respect the dead, so this...this is just disgusting to do.

What the?

I keep digging and digging...and the only thing I find out is more dirt.

No, seriously. Ten minutes of digging and there are dirt mounts right next to me.

"What the hell is going on here? !" Glid said, as confused as me. "Dirt just can't replace itself instantly!"

It's like that someone really doesn't want me to enter. And also seems that him or her or...it is able to rewrite things to fit his or her wishes.

This is the power of an author? It seems it can bend the rules of this world at his whim...

Tsk! Dammit, I won't give up now!

GODDAMMIT! Why does it keep going like this?

...Also, my arms are really tired now...so naturally, my whole body screamed at me to stop.

sigh

I slumped into the ground, trying to catch my breath.

Okay, something is trying to prevent me to dig up the Hakurei's grave. For what reasons, I'm not sure.

Gah, look at me. I said I won't get involved in any other problem that does not concern me and yet here I am. There's something that just keeps bothering me, keeps nagging my head and just. Doesn't. Stop.

"Eh, I don't get why are you getting so worked up."

"I...don't know. I just feel something is going to go horribly wrong soon enough."

...Enough thinking. I best continue digging bef-

"So I basically have to keep her on ice?"

Huh?

"Hey, crazy guy! So I just keep her on ice?"

"What?"

Why are the idiot fairy and Shin here?

...! Hold on, this is the place I parted ways with the two of them!

What is going on? !

"What the shit? !"

"Um, Hanta-san? Are you okay?"

"Eh?" I hid my confusion. "Ah, I was just thinking of something else."

"Food?"

"You wish." Glid said before me.

"Argh, you're annoying, you know that?" The idiot shouted to Glid.

It...it seems that time has gone back to this point. But why? And HOW? !

No...deal with this situation first. Think later.

"Ignore the bastard, will you?" I said to Cirno. "And yes, please keep her on ice, alright?"

"Mmhm! You can count on me! Since I'm the..."

"I know." I sighed.

I waved good-bye once more and walked towards the same way as before.

...Now that I'm out of their sight, let's review what just happened.

"Kid, what's there to review? Let's put it bluntly here. You. Just. Stepped. Back. In. Time!"

"BUT WHY? ! AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, HOW? !"

"Hey, why ask me? I don't have a clue!"

Calm down. There must an explanation to this. And for now, I'm going to put those questions on hold. Focus on the important.

The graveyard...I think it was through here...

Where the hell is it? !

I know the graveyard was through here! I'm sure of it!

"...? Hey kid, doesn't it seem that the same scenery is repeating over and over again?"

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Look around!"

He's right. The path here showed the same rock over and over. And I'm pretty certain that I crossed through here to reach that graveyard.

Okay, first a time warp. Then, I cannot get back to that same destination. What the hell?

Wait a second...wasn't I supposed to be immune to effects of all sorts just by holding Kraid?

"Isn't that right, Kraid?"

"I don't know what is going on either."

Fantastic.

Okay, so this someone can ignore the negating effects of Kraid and has complete reality changing powers. Meaning that I'm just a play thing compared to it.

...In all honesty, after all the crap I've been through, that is, the fact that YHVH is after my ass, the fact that Louis' warnings creeped the hell out of me and surviving an apocalypse caused by the paranoia of a Norse god, I'm actually more annoyed that scared at this point. Still, this kind of revelations does kind of drive someone to an edge...

"Aw, shake it off, kid. You survived many other things. What makes this different?"

"Well, the main difference this time is that I really don't know who is doing this. And if I don't know exactly who or what am I dealing with, then I can't elaborate a plan."

Besides, this someone might be hearing this.

...Which raises the question of why doesn't he just destroy me with a thought, since he can, as far as I can see, mess with the natural laws of time and space. Unlike Sakuya, these effects were instantaneous and I couldn't even sense them.

What is stopping this someone? Or perhaps there are limits that he cannot break?

"...Let's go back." I sighed defeated.

"...You sure?"

"Yeah." I said. "If I keep trying, I'll only exhaust myself. If I really want to survive what is coming, then I have to be in top shape, don't you think?"

"Yeah yeah, sure." He didn't sound amused. "Still, look at the bright side! We have God and some random asshole with reality bending powers after our asses. Can you feel the excitement?"

No. Stop talking.

"But you know...there's something that's also bothering me."

What now?

"If this guy can and has controlled you, what if all of your victories and the fact that you survived was actually orchestrated by this someone?"

...What? !

"I mean, think about it. Doesn't it seem logical to you that he isn't destroying you...because it amuses itself by your suffering?"

That's...actually quite...logical.

"Yes, somehow, the majority of people enjoy themselves when the rest is having some sort of misfortune, as a way to make themselves forget of their own suffering. That is just sickening...and sadly, too common nowadays, with the growing cynical view of this garbage can that is the outside world."

That's right. People really do love laughing at someone else's misery. I mean, look around...

"Sheesh. You really have issues." Glid snarled. "But wait! What if this someone not only enjoys making you suffer, but is actually using this to generate pity?"

"Okay, you lost me."

"Remember that Louis said this is technically what you people call fanfiction."

"...You're really not going to..."

"Oh yes!" He seemed quite...happy for some reason. "People like to see someone else suffering. So then, what if he's making your life crap just to attract readers."

...!

"Just due to their shared pity for you." Glid...you...! "Isn't it just sad? Doesn't this fill you with anger, kid?"

This...this...this...!

"...Wait! I just realized something even better!"

You will stop...!

"What if this someone not only is making your life miserable, but is actually trying to make you into its avatar!"

What.

"Think about it. According to Louis, this place is based on something called Touhou, I don't care. And bear in mind we're talking about japanese writers here. Imagine, a land full of shitty girls that satisfies every fetish any pervert wants. I mean, you got mikos, maids, furries, hell, even vampires and immortals! ...But you can't reach them, oh no, you can't! ...So, what would an hormone ladden asshole do...?"

...Oh, son of a bitch!

"YES! THEY MAKE SOMEONE UNLUCKY OF THE OPPOSITE SEX AND MAKE THEM ACT IN THEIR STEED! Just to gain some...satisfaction."

THAT BASTARD!

"And in the end, who knows? This someone might have tried to go...a little bit far with them, don't you say? Disgusting, yes, but completely inside of human desire. I mean, manipulating fictional characters to do his author's bidding. There's nothing wrong with that, huh? Huh?"

ENOUGH!

You're here, are you? !

Yes.

You.

What the hell are you doing? !

Do you see this as a joke? !

Do you think I like this? !

...No. You don't. You would have stopped back then. But you continued. You continued without even seeing at yourself how disgusting this is.

I'm not your puppet! I hate being controlled, you hear that? !

"So...are you going after him then, huh?"

"This was your purpose all along, right? Well, fine!" I yelled at Glid "I'll do it your way. I'm sick of my life sucking so much!"

"But weren't you fictional?" Glid said.

"I'll be the judge of that! I won't let some asshole control MY life!"

"Even though perhaps maybe, just maybe, all of your victories were orchestrated by him?"

"I don't care!"

"You don't have proof of that." Kraid finally decided to talk. "Kid, you really aren't taking him seriously, are you?"

"Well...yes!"

"I knew it...wait, what? !"

"He has a very good point!" I said, slowly losing my grip on my sanity. "If this guy remains alive, who knows what else can this someone do to me...or to them."

"I thought you didn't care."

"...Well, I don't exactly care about them, per se. But...with time, you kind of get sorta fond of them. Sorta. To the point that, if they are gone or start acting differently by its hand, I would actually be kind of sad. Except Yukari. I really don't like that bitch. But then again, nobody, and I mean, nobody, deserves to be someone else's puppet. Not even her."

"Well, whatever." Glid didn't seem to care. "So, we agree to hunt this guy?"

"What do you think?" I snarled.

As soon as I said that, the ground shook a bit.

Is he trying to threaten me...or is he nervous?

"Heh...what's wrong? ******** your pants already? Because after I deal with this mess, you're next!"

The ground stopped. He seemed to either have lost interest or he is actually afraid.

"...Let's get outta here."

"Right."

The trek back to the village was awkwardly normal. I expect something more from this guy, but he seemed to have stopped...for now.

...I'm calm. Yeah. I'm still calm.

I can deal with this mess. Yeah. Yeah, I can do it.

...Right?

No. The time of doubts has ended.

I rejected Louis' help. And I found out about this someone...pulling the strings in my life.

And the fact that YHVH is coming.

I am on my own now.
I generally dislike all fanfiction, especially anything with OCs, so I'll just bite my tongue and stay quiet.
Why bruh.

Legitimately painful to read, dear lord.

If nothing else, this gives me more confidence in my own writing.
Girl, the one i quote above is very grammatically correct and easy to read.

This is literal standard of LN.

Did you mean the plot? Look at the ones i quoted, did you think some shallow fic will have a thick plot like this?

Show me your writing bruh.

The grammar could come from a ******* english major but that won't change the fact that the dialogue feels like a sexually repressed 13 year old took an MCU script and added swear words because that's what he thinks is "edgy". Zero understanding of the characters too, I mean the two lines below alone shows me that the author has mostly consumed Touhou through the lens of **** and bad fanfiction. Also I don't have much in terms of writing down yet but I could write a more believable character interaction in like. an hour. Not like the bar is super high or anything.

"Think about it. According to Louis, this place is based on something called Touhou, I don't care. And bear in mind we're talking about japanese writers here. Imagine, a land full of shitty girls that satisfies every fetish any pervert wants. I mean, you got mikos, maids, furries, hell, even vampires and immortals! ...But you can't reach them, oh no, you can't! ...So, what would an hormone ladden asshole do...?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well...you know how Reimu is. Lazy, caring only about herself and only thinking about donations and followers. I know it sounds wrong, but I don't see her with time enough to visit her family.

I might read it cuz I'm bored but I don't like that he has a sword. Swords are boring as ****, he should have gotten a cool weapon like a spear or halberd.

I also dislike that he is demon related and that he can fight most of the Touhou cast all at once. I hate characters that are that strong since even in canon there are not characters that strong.

An OC should be relative to the power levels of the other characters in the series or else I will feel that the OC is humiliating my favorite characters.

Also he should have been a woman smh. Women just fit better in Touhou.

But by the sounds if it, Imperfect Metamorphosis is way better.

This is literal standard of LN.
Oh yeah, in regards to this, I really dislike light novels (at least those in this specific genre). Everything reads like "you may have used your skill-cancelling ability to nullify my power, but unfortunately for you my Data World Reconstruction allows me to recall the information of my powers from the past, allowing me to cast my concept-killing death magic on your soul from a different time, something not even your Infinite Causal Space Loop Field can block". It ******* sucks lol

Oh yeah, in regards to this, I really dislike light novels (at least those in this specific genre). Everything reads like "you may have used your skill-cancelling ability to nullify my power, but unfortunately for you my Data World Reconstruction allows me to recall the information of my powers from the past, allowing me to cast my concept-killing death magic on your soul from a different time, something not even your Infinite Causal Space Loop Field can block". It ******* sucks lol
🗿

The grammar could come from a ******* english major but that won't change the fact that the dialogue feels like a sexually repressed 13 year old took an MCU script and added swear words because that's what he thinks is "edgy". Zero understanding of the characters too, I mean the two lines below alone shows me that the author has mostly consumed Touhou through the lens of **** and bad fanfiction. Also I don't have much in terms of writing down yet but I could write a more believable character interaction in like. an hour. Not like the bar is super high or anything.
Bruh, I'm the one who are working to rewrite this shit lol.

I straight up envy you guys that can even write (or even write entire stories) stuff like (even if that's considered bad) that, my creativity writing level is just horrible. My drawing skills also match my writing skills however I'm actually confident (I'll straight up never be able to write anything) that if I were to practice drawing I could actually become decently above average (and by decent I mean I'll be able to mimic various other peoples stuff to make whatever I want =(, I really do suck =P)

Bruh, I'm the one who are working to rewrite this shit lol.
So you came in here just to jack off your own story? Sad.

Like, what are you writing?
A very personal story with themes of freedom through violence, the question of what you become when the nebulousness of "anything" is no longer enough, how our bonds change as we ourselves change, and experiencing the ecstasy of life through closeness to death. I've at least realized that the key to writing good characters with tragic backstories is to not write them like snarky MCU protagonists, but to look at them through my own lived experiences.

It's also a high magic fantasy setting, and I think the magic system I've come up with is one of the few better thought out parts of the world.
I straight up envy you guys that can even write (or even write entire stories) stuff like (even if that's considered bad) that, my creativity writing level is just horrible. My drawing skills also match my writing skills however I'm actually confident (I'll straight up never be able to write anything) that if I were to practice drawing I could actually become decently above average (and by decent I mean I'll be able to mimic various other peoples stuff to make whatever I want =(, I really do suck =P)
It depends on what you want to write, really. I've personally found that taking a character similar to myself, projecting thoughts and feelings that are shared between us, and writing about those through the lens of the character is a good way to practice decent character writing.

"It depends on what you want to write, really. I've personally found that taking a character similar to myself, projecting thoughts and feelings that are shared between us, and writing about those through the lens of the character is a good way to practice decent character writing."

That's a interesting idea Mad, what character did you find that was most similar to you?

It's obviously Mokou
Yeah, exactly.

I got into Touhou during a very important time in my life, so there was a very interesting parallel between my own issues and the sort of isolationism and detached nihilism Mokou had going on. I've gotten better in that regard over time, thankfully, but I do still credit Mokou for helping me realize a lot about myself and, by extension, what I wanted to write.

Hey y'all, have any of you read Imperfect Metamorphosis? It is the longest Touhou fanfic that exists, it is longer than the Harry Potter books and has been written continuously for more than five years. But it is still really good and really fun. It is my favorite Touhou fanfic. What do y'all think about it?
Never bothered to read it, the description put me off and I'd usually skip it on my Touhou fanfic read sessions. Though I'm sure there's probably some appeal to it.

Speaking of writing. I have written 57 characters over 5 years.
Screenshot_20230415-003751.png

Though I must say that I am very ambitious in what I want to write but I haven't bothered to start writing a story or a series of stories that connects all of these together. I want to eventually make a story or series of stories with all these characters but I haven't started to do it yet.

Mokou basically summed up my thoughts on that fic's premise well, though I will say this.

Snarky characters aren't inherently bad, so long as your character cast is diverse enough in personality to bounce off of it well. If they aren't 1-dimensional quip machines (like 90% of MCU characters these days), then a bit of snark can go well with characters who humble them or take things more seriously.

But I digress. Point is, character interaction that feels organic is key

Anyway, here is my favorite fanartists:
  • Alison Airlines: The way he draw is something and some of the covers went rad as heck, his doujins series is also philosophical as heck too which is why some of his works are praised so much, example the magnum opus "The Immortal who Saw the Death of Universe". His style also involving the hipsters (marijuana, weeds) so i can see why his work has many philosophies on it. Also the best artist to use TeruMoko in dynamic way
  • Kawayabug: Stumbled him not long ago thanks for his series "Crowned Owl & Bat" Series and since then became a big fan. He made the relationship between the Taoism Gang with SDM Gang and Myouren Temple Followers really entertaining and fun, considering outside of Tao vs Buddhist Rivalry trope and Kokoro, those two doesn't have much of connection with the others (maybe Saki, but it's still unknown in canon). Also has many of diversity between the ships (you have Miko x Tojiko then Miko x Byakuren, and even some of Miko x Remilia, Futo with Tojiko and Ichirin alongside the time between her and Koishi, and so on). His artsyle is cute and cool, sometime rad as heck to lowkey brutal (like that one TeruMoko art, gonna show it later). He also has a youtube channel (which is the reason why i have stumbled upon him) so here is the link (and all of his videos are translated): https://youtube.com/@user-oo2cs6jx8z
  • Raptor7:
    images
    . But in serious note, for ecchi stuff i feel Raptor7 did the amazing job, not oversexualized but still make you feel "something has awakened from the inside" and made you into a simp to the characters he drew (Which is why Megumu became my fave, like....mommy Megumu? I kneel), he does have some of amazing cool art like Youmu and Momoyo which is awesome
  • Naufaldreamer: My man, his artstyle is unique and very badass to say, he also drew some nsfw stuff for the degen lel, outside that his artstyle is rad as heck
  • Kapiten07: An indonesian 2hu artist, his artsyle is simple but cool and cute, his skits are funny too (especially with the indonesia dialogue), and also? One of the best Seija x Shinmyomaru shipper artist
  • Pix Irakuy: Fuji, did you miss Shinoasa? Well maybe Irakuy is the good alternative for many dosis of cuteness with KeineMoko. while not always in 2hu (he also drew Genshin arts), his best arts for me are when he drew the 2hu stuff alongside his other artstyle with SD/simplefied draw
  • Ringetsumon/Itomugi: Colorful, that's his artsyle, and also one of the best KeineMoko shipper artist (another alt if you miss Shinoasa, Fuji). Same with Irakuy, he's not always drew 2hu stuff (mostly Bang Dream and the others)
  • Ma Sakasama: His artstyle is somehow similar with Nippon Ichi but still different which made it unique, cool and elegant

And that's all, there's more but too much text so imma stop here lel, the pictures example for each artists i listed above will come later

I'm the most powerful one here because I pay my friends to write cute fluffy Marisa x Reader content because I simply think it would be nice

Mokou basically summed up my thoughts on that fic's premise well, though I will say this.

Snarky characters aren't inherently bad, so long as your character cast is diverse enough in personality to bounce off of it well. If they aren't 1-dimensional quip machines (like 90% of MCU characters these days), then a bit of snark can go well with characters who humble them or take things more seriously.

But I digress. Point is, character interaction that feels organic is key
Oh definitely, some sarcasm is good writing, but nobody is able to keep up a snarky personality 24/7. Not to mention, there's usually a time and a place for it. Ironically, Touhou itself seems to handle sarcastic characters extremely well, where everyone has at least a few comedic moments but it all feels like friends or rivals bouncing off each other.

Anyway, here is my favorite fanartists:
  • Alison Airlines: The way he draw is something and some of the covers went rad as heck, his doujins series is also philosophical as heck too which is why some of his works are praised so much, example the magnum opus "The Immortal who Saw the Death of Universe". His style also involving the hipsters (marijuana, weeds) so i can see why his work has many philosophies on it. Also the best artist to use TeruMoko in dynamic way
  • Kawayabug: Stumbled him not long ago thanks for his series "Crowned Owl & Bat" Series and since then became a big fan. He made the relationship between the Taoism Gang with SDM Gang and Myouren Temple Followers really entertaining and fun, considering outside of Tao vs Buddhist Rivalry trope and Kokoro, those two doesn't have much of connection with the others (maybe Saki, but it's still unknown in canon). Also has many of diversity between the ships (you have Miko x Tojiko then Miko x Byakuren, and even some of Miko x Remilia, Futo with Tojiko and Ichirin alongside the time between her and Koishi, and so on). His artsyle is cute and cool, sometime rad as heck to lowkey brutal (like that one TeruMoko art, gonna show it later). He also has a youtube channel (which is the reason why i have stumbled upon him) so here is the link (and all of his videos are translated): https://youtube.com/@user-oo2cs6jx8z
  • Raptor7:
    images
    . But in serious note, for ecchi stuff i feel Raptor7 did the amazing job, not oversexualized but still make you feel "something has awakened from the inside" and made you into a simp to the characters he drew (Which is why Megumu became my fave, like....mommy Megumu? I kneel), he does have some of amazing cool art like Youmu and Momoyo which is awesome
  • Naufaldreamer: My man, his artstyle is unique and very badass to say, he also drew some nsfw stuff for the degen lel, outside that his artstyle is rad as heck
  • Kapiten07: An indonesian 2hu artist, his artsyle is simple but cool and cute, his skits are funny too (especially with the indonesia dialogue), and also? One of the best Seija x Shinmyomaru shipper artist
  • Pix Irakuy: Fuji, did you miss Shinoasa? Well maybe Irakuy is the good alternative for many dosis of cuteness with KeineMoko. while not always in 2hu (he also drew Genshin arts), his best arts for me are when he drew the 2hu stuff alongside his other artstyle with SD/simplefied draw
  • Ringetsumon/Itomugi: Colorful, that's his artsyle, and also one of the best KeineMoko shipper artist (another alt if you miss Shinoasa, Fuji). Same with Irakuy, he's not always drew 2hu stuff (mostly Bang Dream and the others)
  • Ma Sakasama: His artstyle is somehow similar with Nippon Ichi but still different which made it unique, cool and elegant

And that's all, there's more but too much text so imma stop here lel, the pictures example for each artists i listed above will come later
Oh yeah, idk how I overlooked Alison, I love his work. Same for Itomugi, I love seeing their stuff pop up on twitter every once in a while. Kawayabug and Raptor are pretty good as well, though I'm not a huge fan or anything. Aside from Naufaldreamer, idk anyone else you mentioned... I'll definitely have to check out Pix Irakuy if I haven't already, though.

I'm the most powerful one here because I pay my friends to write cute fluffy Marisa x Reader content because I simply think it would be nice
Your love and appreciation of Marisa is the strongest force in the universe, I think.

Oh yeah, idk how I overlooked Alison, I love his work. Same for Itomugi, I love seeing their stuff pop up on twitter every once in a while. Kawayabug and Raptor are pretty good as well, though I'm not a huge fan or anything. Aside from Naufaldreamer, idk anyone else you mentioned... I'll definitely have to check out Pix Irakuy if I haven't already, though.
I can link their safebooru and zerochan pages here when i uploaded the pictures for your interest
As for overlookes Alison, let's say we have overaged our brain to the point forgor numerous time
Your love and appreciation of Marisa is the strongest force in the universe, I think.
Can't you blame it? Marisa Rizz Rank: EX at it's finest lmao

Never bothered to read it, the description put me off and I'd usually skip it on my Touhou fanfic read sessions. Though I'm sure there's probably some appeal to it.
It has really cool fight scenes and good drama. Rin Satsuki is a really cool character with cool powers and a cool backstory. She is very OP and dangerous but her strength has an explanation and thanks to her strength and the origin of her strength she is persecuted by pretty much everyone in Gensokyo which makes up for good drama and balances out her strength since despite being very strong, she can't take out everyone at once, so she constantly has too hide.
The story is very dark and edgy (Such as the death of a peculiar character even made me cry and I am someone that never cries over stories) But it has wholesome moments and moments of hope and happiness which balances everything out.

I must say that the first parts of the story had outdated humour. Stuff like memes and references from the past. But I think it adds charm to the story. It's a look at a different era of the Internet. It particularly interests me since IM has been on the internet before I even accessed the Internet for the first time. And seeing humour from an era that I wasn't in, interests me a lot.

The only "bad" thing about IM is that some of the characters have very different personalities from the canon. Yuuka is an unredeemable monster for example. But I don't think that is necessarily a good thing, a different personality from canon doesn't mean the fanon version is automatically bad.

Unrelated but I forgot to link the Reddit post of a repost of a review I made to the fanfic. Here it is:
(I must say that I plan to delete the post just because I want to change the title. Probably to something like "Imperfect Metamorphosis: One of the best Touhou fanfics of all time" I shouldn't had put repost in the title)

Not a big fan of what I see being changed for Marisa or Yuuka not gonna lie....
The story is still good tho. I forgot lots of details about the story cuz I read it months ago but Marisa is still an interesting character. She has very important moments to the story, she is cool, bisexual, badass and has cool fight scenes.
Yuuka is completely different. While her canon version is more of a character that is a bit sadistic and feared for being powerful but can still be friendly, IM's Yuuka is a totally different character. I could probably spoil you some small details to try to get you more interested in IM's depiction of Yuuka.

Back