• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The DC Comics Cosmology Revision Project - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This destructive cosmic energy is beyond the Source Wall, and described as the "all-consuming, impossible void."

Are you done stonewalling or can we move on?
Nowhere in the scans is destructive cosmic energy described as the “all consuming impossible void.”

How would they fall prey to it, exactly, if it isn't the destructive energy they're holding back? This isn't rhetorical.
By falling through the whole in the Source Wall?

Non-duality doesn't justify any of what you said about "contradictions."
It wasn’t meant to. It was meant to refute VeryGoofyToddlers claim which was this.

- “The problem is that it’s not treated as the non-dual canvas that is an infinite abstract intelligence.”

Yes, it is. They are holding back the Overvoid. This leg of the discussion is a waste of time.

Your argument is that the impossible all consuming void beyond the source wall that the Lanterns are holding back isn't the Overvoid because they don't literally use that name. You are absolutely being unreasonable, and it's very telling of the mindset being used to approach every issue in this thread. You are starting from a conclusion and working backwards, attempting to deny or muddy the waters around every piece of evidence that doesn't suit your conclusion.

The evidence for the Green Lanterns holding back the Overvoid is so smack in the face obvious that the fact you've been trying to deny it for this long borders on thread ban worthy. We don't need our time wasted with this kind of silliness.
He does realize there is no article after and to signify a difference to what all-consuming is in conjunction to the impossible Void beyond. Its still referring to the same thing. Your scans actually connect but he's just nitpicking the wrong information and making a false premise from it. His misinterpreting and it’s quite clear.

The only case he can do right now is somehow disapprove that impossible Void =/= Overvoid. If not then it doesn’t look good for Xearsey.

Not really. In most of the reference of it was a typical space devoid of material outside the Multiverse.

There’s not really a mention of how it was described like that of how Grant wrote it. The best we get is maybe that it is all-consuming energy outside the Multiverse.
I don’t think there’s room to make that claim because as I said before, it’s barely dabbled upon at all in Snyder’s work. Snyder not going out of his way to repeat every description about the Overvoid is not the same as Snyder changing it.

He does realize there is no article after and to signify a difference to what all-consuming is in conjunction to the impossible Void beyond. Its still referring to the same thing. Your scans connect his nitpicking the wrong information and making a false premise from it. His misinterpreting and it’s quite clear.

The only case he can do right now is somehow disapprove that impossible Void =/= Overvoid.
Once again. I never denied the all consuming void being the Overvoid. I denied the all consuming void/Overvoid being the cosmic energy of destruction that the Green Lanterns were holding back from spilling into the Multiverse.

I don’t know how you can accuse me of nitpicking when you don’t even understand what I’m arguing.
The Overvoid feared that the Multiverse containing contradictions and complexities would spread within itself hence why it bottled the Multiverse.
The Overvoid didn’t understand the flaw, and was more of shocked by its existence. Monitor Mind contained the flaw so it could study it. I digress, how does this prove that it’s not beyond contradiction?

Last edited:
By falling through the whole in the Source Wall?
Let me get this straight. The Lanterns are using their constructs to close up a hole in the Source Wall, which is leaking in a "cosmic ocean of destructive energy." It is also said that they might fall prey to the "impossible all consuming void" outside the Source Wall.

And your argument, the stance you are advocating for in this thread, is that these are two separate things entirely, and what is actually meant by "fall prey to the void" is that might "fall" into it? Can we just clarify that this is, in fact, what you think the best explanation is?

However what I’m asking you is how this proves that it’s not beyond contradiction?
Are you being intentionally obtuse? He is not saying the fact that it bottled the flaw is why it's not beyond contradiction. The reason why it bottled the flaw, the fear of these complexities and contradictions, the fear of it spreading and infecting, disproves transcendence.

I don’t think there’s room to make that claim because as I said before, it’s barely dabbled upon at all in Snyder’s work. Snyder not going out of his way to repeat every description about the Overvoid is not the same as Snyder changing it.
That’s not addressing the disjunction. That’s simply you saying because he “didn’t.”

How it was written with Grant is no longer the case with Synder adding his own interpretation of what the Void is. If it were then it would be more evident given Justice League Incarnate now made it so that it’s not quite infinite nor eternal.
Once again. I never denied the all consuming void being the Overvoid. I denied the all consuming void/Overvoid being the cosmic energy of destruction that the Green Lanterns were holding back from spilling into the Multiverse.
You could argue it was the Source but it’s clear they were addressing it. The most simple way of putting it is that beyond that Wall is the all consuming Void.

It’s literally telling us that. I don’t see the need for more proof.

His argument is that the "cosmic ocean of destructive energy beyond the Source Wall" that the Lanterns are holding back is some entirely different thing than the "all-consuming void beyond the Source Wall."

Yes, really. That's genuinely his argument.
You know that’s literally saying the same thing.

Like how an Infinite Universe is the same as an Infinite amount of Universes. By virtue of just putting in a different words does not change its meaning.

At this point his points are refuting his own points. I don’t see why he couldn’t catch this. Is there something he sees within these scans indicating a difference?

That’s no addressing the disjunction. That’s simply you saying because he “didn’t.”

How it was written with Grant is no longer the case with Synder adding his own interpretation of what the Void is. If it were then it would be more evident given Justice League Incarnate now made it so that it’s not quite infinite nor eternal.
No I directly did address your claim of there being a disjunction, as Snyder barely writing about the Overvoid doesn’t prove he changed it.

Also the Justice League incarnate stuff isn’t even being merged with Morrison and Snyder’s cosmology so I don’t know why you keep bringing that up.

You could argue it was the Source but it’s clear they were addressing it. The most simple way of putting it is that beyond that Wall is the all consuming Void.

It’s literally telling us that. I don’t see the need for more proof.
Saying “it’s clear” is not an argument. Also like I said before, void being beyond the wall =/= the void is the cosmic energy of destruction. And the fact that you just admitted that the cosmic energy of destruction could be something else, disproves the need to assume it’s the Overvoid.

It's amazing that we managed to avoid significant derailing on the first two threads, just to spend multiple pages going over something as simple as "the Overvoid is outside the Source Wall."
That’s not the point of contention and I’ve openly admitted the Overvoid is outside the Source Wall. The point of contention is that the Overvoid isn’t the cosmic energy of destruction.

No I directly did address your claim of there being some disjunction. Snyder barely writing about the Overvoid doesn’t prove he changed it.
By addressing this, you’ve only mention it by saying since Synder didn’t change it. That’s not really answering why there isn’t a disjunction between them. That’s just refutable retort of dodging the evidences that does indicate a difference in writing with the Overvoid.

Also Justice League incarnate isn’t even being merged with Morrison and Snyder’s cosmology so I don’t know why you keep bringing that up.
Even without that logic, there still is a reoccurring pattern of different writers having different interpretations. Which includes a changing of a characters from how they were originally written. Take it how you like it but this does show that Synder does not have the same approach when it comes to the Overvoid.

Saying “it’s clear” is not an argument. Also like I said before, void being beyond the wall =/= the void is the cosmic energy of destruction. And the fact that you just admitted that the cosmic energy of destruction could be something else, disproves the need to assume it’s the Overvoid.
I saying it’s clear is after showing the evidence and as well as previous notion of those evidences with Deagon. So you abbreviating points as if I didn’t make note of evidences is a intellectual dishonesty.

I did not say that it could be something else as a stand alone. I was using your interpretation to make that point. Which I dismiss later.

The point of contention is that the Overvoid isn’t the cosmic energy of destruction.
Right. Your theory that there is a previously unmentioned and completely unrelated ocean of destructive cosmic energy leaking through a crack in the Source Wall that isn't the Overvoid, and even though it says that the Lanterns are trying to avoid falling prey to the "all consuming void" that is also outside this crack, these are in fact two entirely different things, and their fear is that they will fall into the void, not that it's the destructive energy.

And we have spent the better part of two pages engaging with this theory. Along with other great hits like "the Overvoid can't be retconned." "All statements about the Overvoid that contradict my headcanon can be handwaved with the 'beyond contradictions' author statement" and "Being able to see something from a different realm disproves qualitative superiority."

If Monitor-Mind The Overvoid was shocked by the complexities and contradictions of the Multiverse, it means the Overvoid is not beyond these concepts. Why would the Overvoid care about such concepts spawning within itself if the Overvoid is beyond these concepts as you said? Why the Overvoid would contain the Multiverse full of complexities and contradictions and prevent its spreading if the Overvoid is beyond these concepts? Simply because the Overvoid is not beyond them.

If Monitor-Mind The Overvoid was shocked by the complexities and contradictions of the Multiverse, it means the Overvoid is not beyond these concepts. Why would the Overvoid care about such concepts spawning within itself if the Overvoid is beyond these concepts as you said? Why the Overvoid would contain the Multiverse full of complexities and contradictions and prevent its spreading if the Overvoid is beyond these concepts? Simply because the Overvoid is not beyond them.
It’s more to due with it having no experience other than being the immaculate perfection it was.

It’s clearly not fully above every concept but itself is not affected by it until he get the idea, stories can “spread” and it has to bottle it. The Monitor had to learn these and was even afraid for it but ultimately they mean not much but I see your point.

Non-dual like Transfinite people tend to get wrong. The basis is that it’s not in a duality not that it is above it. If it were that’s called “oneness.”

By addressing this, you’ve only mention it by saying since Synder didn’t change it. That’s not really answering why there isn’t a disjunction between them. That’s just refutable retort of dodging the evidences that does indicate a difference in writing with the Overvoid.
Yes it is, because a disjunction is just a lack of correspondence or consistency. If Snyder never changed the Overvoid, then there is no lack of correspondence.

Even without that logic, there still is a reoccurring pattern of different writers having different interpretations. Which includes a changing of a characters from how they were originally written. Take it how you like it but this does show that Synder does not have the same approach when it comes to the Overvoid.
Yes different writers can have different interpretations. However that doesn’t mean we just assume it’s the case. Morrison and Snyder’s stuff was merged in favor of Ultima’s approach on the Overvoid with incorporates Morrison’s material.

I saying it’s clear is after showing the evidence and as well as previous notion of those evidences with Deagon. So you abbreviating points as if I didn’t make note of evidences is a intellectual dishonesty.

I did not say that it could be something else as a stand alone. I was using your interpretation to make that point. Which I dismiss later.
You guys showed evidence that doesn’t support your point. And your only argument for why you think it does, was “it’s clear” which is not an argument. As I can simply also say that “it’s clear” that the evidence doesn’t support the Overvoid/void beyond the source wall, being the same as the cosmic energy of destruction.

This is 100% the correct conclusion, and frankly it's getting tiresome to deal with Xear trying to constantly deny extremely obvious and logical conclusions like this. Something like "Overvoid is beyond story" in the face of a scan that shows that the Overvoid was literally terrified of the damage it could do to itself is completely implausible, and we need to stop wasting time on this stonewalling. We've let the thread get way too messy indulging his nonsense.

Yes it is, because a disjunction is just a lack of correspondence or consistency. If Snyder never changed the Overvoid, then there is no lack of correspondence.
Are you playing Devil’s Advocate? You would presume there wasn’t a change in the first place. You are not producing evidence for a lack of disjunction. That’s what you need to correlate with your claim not repeat the question by addressing it the same way it was asked.

Yes different writers can have different interpretations. However that doesn’t mean we just assume it’s the case. Morrison and Snyder’s stuff was merged in favor of Ultima’s approach on the Overvoid with incorporates Morrison’s material.
I’m not using this as my focal point. This is to address something that happens with stories changing characters and due to this does not make the Overvoid consistent throughout its appearances or mentions.

The second part has to due with the fact Synder base off his Cosmology from Grant. This is basing off something not a remake of that same idea. The Overvoid was treated differently within a lot of aspects.
You guys showed evidence that doesn’t support your point. And your only argument for why you think it does, was “it’s clear” which is not an argument.
There were the evidences but you seems to dismiss those because of your lackluster approach to how the Overvoid appears the same throughout stories.

As I can simply also say that “it’s clear” that the evidence doesn’t support the Overvoid/void beyond the source wall, being the same as the cosmic energy of destruction.
Irony.

You’re just repeating yourself and then adding “which means this” without an actual explanation. How does the Overvoid being shocked by the flaw prove it’s not beyond the concepts contained within the flaw?

It cares about the flaw because the flaw previously didn’t exist. And it contained the flaw so it could investigate it.

It cares about the flaw because the flaw previously didn’t exist. And it contained the flaw so it could investigate it.
It didn’t care for the Flaw. The Flaw was hindering its immaculate perfection, it was more of a precaution that it bottled it.

The investigation was lead by the Probe it extends because it doesn’t know what can spread with this Flaw until we see later with the splitting of the Probe.

You’re just repeating yourself and then adding “which means this” without an actual explanation. How does the Overvoid being shocked by the flaw prove it’s not beyond the concepts contained within the flaw?
If it's beyond the concepts of flaw, How does exactly it affect 1-A rating? using concepts to generalize 1A is blatant NLF.

You're the one repeating yourself trying to prove 1-A Overvoid without providing concrete evidence while this debate has been concluded. If you want to try upgrading the Overvoid to 1-A, you should make another thread for that.

If it's beyond the concepts of flaw, How does exactly it affect 1-A rating? using concepts to generalize 1A is blatant NLF.
The other part of his theory is that "story" created the Monitor Sphere, and since that is currently being treated as a higher degree of infinity, that therefore "story" could add infinitely many layers and the Overvoid would still be above all of them since it's above story.

Of course, any one single component of this theory fails by itself, and all together it's completely bunk. Overvoid isn't beyond story, there's no indication that infinite layers can be added, and it's not even entirely clear that the Monitor Sphere was created by story.

Are you playing Devil’s Advocate? You would presume there wasn’t a change in the first place. You are not producing evidence for a lack of disjunction. That’s what you need to correlate with your claim not repeat the question by
It’s not my job to provide evidence against your unproven claim. As that would be pushing the burden of proof from you onto me.

I’m not using this as my focal point. This is to address something that happens with stories changing characters and due to this does not make the Overvoid consistent throughout its appearances or mentions.

The second part has to due with the fact Synder base off his Cosmology from Grant. This is basing off something not a remake of that same idea. The Overvoid was treated differently within a lot of aspects.
Yes and I already acknowledged that stories can change characters. I also acknowledged that this isn’t always the case as some characters can remain the same.

I get your stance on the cosmologies but, the cosmologies got merged in part 2 of the revision project and Snyder’s was taken as an addition to Morrison’s work. So I don’t see a point in arguing over this topic.

Oh, and for that point, Snyder absolutely retconned the Overvoid. Multiple things that were central to Overvoid's story were rewritten, such as the creation of the Monitors, or the idea that the Multiverse was a singular "flaw" (we now know there are infinitely many multiverses). And while Morrison very clearly wrote that the Overvoid was the Source, Snyder also added the Presence to that trinity (although there was pre-existing evidence for this in other cosmologies.)

Oh, and for that point, Snyder absolutely retconned the Overvoid. Multiple things that were central to Overvoid's story were rewritten, such as the creation of the Monitors.
That was already addressed in part 2 of the revision project and Ultimas proposal got accepted. So I don’t know why you guys are trying to rehash a part 2 discussion on whether the Overvoid remained the same from Morrison to Snyder.

It’s not my job to provide evidence against your unproven claim. As that would be pushing the burden of proof from you onto me.
It is because this argument is coming from you that did not agree with the Overvoid having no change. That’s your burden of proof to dismiss. Even then your just repeating the same straw man.

This discussion with the majority is already evidence enough. You just keep bringing up “but Synder didn’t.”

Yes and I already acknowledged that stories can change characters. I also acknowledged that this isn’t always the case as some characters can remain the same.
That’s not saying anything other than I disagree.
I get your stance on the cosmologies but, the cosmologies got merged in part 2 of the revision project and Snyder’s was taken as an addition to Morrison’s work. So I don’t see a point in arguing over this topic.
I don’t either but this is a difference in view. I was just adding that the Overvoid can and I

Smh. All these pointless debates should have reduced if this NLF 1-A justification get removed from FAQ by staff. Logically A verse can't reach 1-A without having an infinite hierarchy even with additional context.

Anyway, i will just stop talking about whether the Overvoid is 1-A/if it was retconned or not. What's left to do in this thread?
Just need to implement the new agreed-upon tiers, I think. Overvoid/Source/Presence 1-C, Vertigo Void, Low 1-C, Divine Presence/Smile was supposed to be High 1-B right? Or did we agree for it to be lower.

Synder/Tynion IV:
Hecate and Upside Downman - 2-B, possibly 2-A(full control over domain)

Mister Mxyzptlk - 2-C, likely 2-B

The Brothers Three - Low 1-C(In 6th Dimesnion maybe be lower since they scale to 6D but are not the Sixth Dimesnion itself.)

Perpetua and Darkest Knight should be 1-C.

Source/Presence - 1-C, possibly High 1-C(If much higher than the Cosmology but very unlikely.)

Grant Morrison:

Nil Monitors - 2B, possibly 2-A(Depends if we take higher interpretation of the realms).

Cosmic Armor Superman and Mandrakk - 2-A, likely Low 1-C.

Monitor Mind, the Overvoid - Likely 1-C

J.M. DeMattheis:

Order and Chaos - 2-A(Act of Duality)

Mahapralaya/Pralaya - 1-B.

Divine Presence/Smile/God - 1-B, possibly High 1-B.

Nile Gaiman/Mike Carey -

Endless - Low 1-C, possibly 1-B(True Potential.)

Lucifer Morningstar and Michael Demiurgos - Low 1-C, possibly 1-B(superior to the Endless.)

Night and Time - Low 1-C, possibly 1-B(scale to the Endless and made every possibility of Creations possible.)

First Circle - Low 1-C, possibly 1-B(scale to Endless.)

Yahweh/Void - 1-C, possibly 1-B(Massively superior to Michael, Lucifer, the Host, and everyone combined. Also the same as the Void.)

Williamson:

Empty Hand and Darkseid - 2-B, possibly 2-A.

Pariah - Likely 2-A.

The Light - Likely 1-C

The Darkness - Low 1-C, likely 1-C.

This is my opinion.
@Deagonx this is my intrepretation.

Just need to implement the new agreed-upon tiers, I think. Overvoid/Source/Presence 1-C, Vertigo Void, Low 1-C, Divine Presence/Smile was supposed to be High 1-B right? Or did we agree for it to be lower.
Can you elaborate reasoning for three levels of infinities which used to grant 1-C tier? Agree with Low 1-C Void. I don't think High 1-B scale is valid now.

Moving on DeMatteis' cosmology, creation was agreed to be 2-A rather than High 1-B since the dream hierarchy has been debunked. Pralaya should be Low 1-C and the Divine Presence should be an Infinity above, 1-C.

The Universe in DeMatteis cosmology has been said to exist on many different levels of reality with the material world being the most obvious. The realms beyond are described as being beyond the material world since realms such as the Collective Unconscious are beyond time-space and Indra's Fourth Heaven contains places that are not places that transcend places and days that are not days that transcend days. Heavens in DeMatteis cosmology are also beyond comprehension. So these could support higher-dimensional properties but I'm not sure if they are infinitely superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back