• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
A lot of Fighting game verses have been getting hit with a downgrade stick as of late due to other reasons such as "Feats come from non-canon endings" or "We see them next to a frozen lake, we don't know if they actually made it" in Killer Instinct's case. Also, I was fine with bullets being sort of threatening as a reason to downgrade various special forces level characters but I still to this day have issues with how the god tiers and what not were downgraded.

I don't know Tekken well, so not sure if their feats come from other reasons. Though Heihachi reacting to that bullet looked very casual given he literally catches it with his teeth as if it was nothing.

i think bullet anti-feats should almost never be taken seriously because guns get wanked in fiction constantly thats just how the general perception of them is, besides, what would this even mean? a tier 6 FTL verse going down below 9-C and transonic?

i think bullet anti-feats should almost never be taken seriously because guns get wanked in fiction constantly thats just how the general perception of them is, besides, what would this even mean? a tier 6 FTL verse going down below 9-C and transonic?
This, look at any building level verse or above, and I gaurentee you'll find at least a few instances where bullets are treated as a threat.

while I get the idea bullets can be used as a downgrade I feel like there should be more used for a downgrade then just "threatened by bullets."

This, look at any building level verse or above, and I gaurentee you'll find at least a few instances where bullets are treated as a threat.

while I get the idea bullets can be used as a downgrade I feel like there should be more used for a downgrade then just "threatened by bullets."
I think it's most First Person Shooter verses, War Movies, and Detective novels are pretty much the only narrative genres where being vulnerable to bullets are valid anti-feats; since chances are those are literally verses that are meant to be all about guns + the superhuman feats there are often lackluster to begin with. But pretty much any verse where casual nuke tier feats and above are quite frequent should treat all bullet related anti-feats as default to common PIS.

But pretty much any verse where casual nuke tier feats and above are quite frequent should treat all bullet related anti-feats as default to common PIS.
Arbitrary rule

Why?

Maybe the bullets are just bypassing durability due to piercing

Don't know that much about Killer Instinct, but the old Mortal Kombat timeline suggests that battle between gods using their full power can devastate a planet, and the one between Raiden and Shinnok is responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs. But for the most part, characters scale to each other.
The scaling in the new Mortal Kombat timeline is basically incoherent; every fight is a toss-up and the plot decides who wins. Also, Ed Boon basically said in an interview that the only character (from the top of his head) that can canonically survive a bullet to the head is Raiden.
There are a handful of Tier 8 feats from gods, but scaling suggests that they can lose to special forces tier characters, and potential higher feats from fatalities and comics were declared non-canon by the story director.
The realm merging and realm destruction feat are considered large-scale hax that don't scale to physicals.

For Tekken, basically the scaling beyond Tier 9 stuff is Jack's meteor feat, followed by a 10x multiplier for the top-tiers based on a statement from the semi-canon Blood Vengeance movie that Kazuya's Devil Gene increases his strength by ten times.
Tekken has canonical feats that are far beyond a bullet, such as Kazuya and Akuma tanking Dr. Abel's satellite laser:

Plus, there are cutscenes where Bryan no-sells bullets, and the Heihachi considers them a minor annoyance:

Tekken 3 Jin getting killed by bullets can be excused by exhaustion (he couldn't use his Chi/Ki/whatever), or excused as power creep in the verse.

The weakest part of the Tekken scaling is that some of the best and most easily calc'd feats come from endings which are almost always not confirmed as canon, but they aren't stated to be non-canon either (except the joke endings blatantly contradicting the sequel's story) and often elements of them are referenced in the following game.

But yeah, piercing attacks are sometimes portrayed as immensely more dangerous than blunt ones in fiction. A Kunai throw from weaker opponents in Naruto is serious business unless the character is protected by a Chakra cloak.

Arbitrary rule
Isn't that just vs in general. the Kenetic energy rules here seem arbitrary to others, same for Creation = AP feat and so on and so on.

Why?

Maybe the bullets are just bypassing durability due to piercing

I could accept that under some situations but when we get to higher tier in vs it seems absolutely weird for a person who can withstand several nukes to be brought down by a bullet.

Isn't that just vs in general. the Kenetic energy rules here seem arbitrary to others, same for Creation = AP feat and so on and so on.

I could accept that under some situations but when we get to higher tier in vs it seems absolutely weird for a person who can withstand several nukes to be brought down by a bullet.
That's kind of what I'm saying, you have Tekken 3 Jin trading blows with a 6-B character, only to get filled with lead not that long after.

ShadowWhoTalks seems to have clarified most of my doubts, though I still feel like reasons for MK's downgrades are off as Ed Boon also seems to downplay his own characters. Not talking about comics being non-canon thus those feats shouldn't be used. Or fatalities and what not, but I do recall him thinking that most of not all MK characters are like Batman level in various interviews.

Still Tekken does tend to be more Shounen like with its feats and are usually portrayed as not considering bullets a threat excluding characters showing great fatigue or PIS moments.

Just curious, but aren't there a bit too many scenes where Tekken characters have to dodge bullets to avoid taking damage from them consistently?
You can literally say the same thing to any fictional verse where a bullets and guns are doing dmg to characters despite having feats beyond those
Heihachi literally says to Lars his gun is a peashooter and if he really thinks that can hurt him, even before the shot, he was smirking and not even worried a gun is pointed at him

Tekken 7 then has Heihachi beat some sirius marksmen, individuals with guns, to tell them "your playthings are no match for me" before fighting Claudio

Might also add, Heihachi in his final fight with Kazuya, eats a laser to the face, same laser that blasted a satellite weapon from space, yet we wanna believe guns and bullets are more of a danger?
and guns clearly damaging and almost killing Jin on two separate occasions.
It's always bothered me in the same way as Mortal Kombat.
Jin literally gets back up from these seconds later, 1st one he gets caught off guard, he didnt expect it either to happen, let alone it happens after a big fight, both vids

As well as the previous things mentioned and others explaining this too

Back