• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Major Mortal Kombat Revision, Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
People aren't going to like what I'm about to say in this thread. But I'm convinced wholeheartedly that this is something that needs to be handled, and I believe now is the time to do so.

Bear with me, because this is going to be long.

Contents
Story
  1. Understanding Current Events
  2. The Best Things Never Last
  3. Actions Speak Louder Than Statements
  4. Restricting a God?
Gameplay and Story Segregation
  1. Why Character Endings Shouldn't Be Used
  2. Why Fatalities and Other Such Things Shouldn't Be Used

Understanding Current Events
A.K.A. "Just like Raiden, someone messed up the timeline by trying to fix it"...

Whoever revised the pages after MK11 came out appears to have been under the impression that the 'past' characters (Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana, Shao Kahn, etc.) were all taken by Kronika from the Original Timeline. I'm not sure that I understand what would lead someone to that conclusion, but it's wrong. Very wrong.

The context of the story clearly demonstrates that the 'past' characters snatched up by Kronika are taken from MK9 specifically, not from any part of the Original Timeline games. Evidence of this includes the following:​
There are other clear indications of this, but I believe the above should suffice as far as my point is concerned.

Honestly, there's no good reason for scaling the two timelines to each other anyway. MK9 is a very hard-reset of the verse in general, to the point that later installments make sweeping changes to the setting's overall history. This is a New 52-esque continuity reboot, and that's exactly how we should be treating it.

Good Things Never Last
The events of the MKX comics appear to have been retconned.

Yes, I am serious. The events detailed within the comic are no longer part of canon as of MK11. Apparently the story and voiceover director at NetherRealm has recently said outright that the comics aren't canon anymore, so if there were any doubts about that before, this should remove them now. In fact, with the way the MK11 story has been written, it's pretty clear that this is an intentional retcon and not just Ed Boon & friends forgetting things like they usually do.​
  • The MKX comics portray Kotal as being one of Shao Kahn's closest generals, complete with a spying unit of his own. MK11 reveals that Shao Kahn betrayed him ages ago and held him as a prisoner for Shang Tsung's experiments, and that Kotal's freedom never came until Shao died.
  • Erron Black in the MKX comics was Kotal and the Black Dragon's liaison in Outworld, with Kano at one point stating that he could never be a Black Dragon member. MK11 reveals that the years-younger Erron is a member of the Black Dragon in Earthrealm, and that such has been the case for a long time.
  • The MKX comics have Skarlet learn Blood Magik from Havik offscreen after requesting that he teach it to her. In MK11, Skarlet learned Blood Magik from Shao Kahn.
  • Havik dies in the MKX comics as a consequence of his schemes. MK11's Aftermath DLC reveals that Havik is very much still alive.
The only event that seems to have stayed intact is the fight between Kotal and Goro. And I don't have a good explanation for that, other than Ed Boon & co. not realizing how contradictory that is.

There are other retcons to MKX proper (Ex: Jax has "recently" been honorably discharged from the Special Forces at the beginning of MK11 even though MKX establishes that he's already been retired for 25 years), but these are the important ones, as they render feats and scaling from the comics null. All of the calcs we're using that are of feats from the comics need to be removed from the profiles, as those feats are no longer canon. Scaling from comic book fights also needs to be removed for the same reason.

Of course, there's another reason why some of those feats should be disregarded. That being...

Actions Speak Louder Than Statements
We need to have a talk about how high some of the Current Timeline characters are rated.

A lot of the characters in MK's Current Timeline are shown to have limitations far below what their current ratings are. These aren't one-off moments that can be handwaved; these are consistent showings that place a hard limit on what their capabilities are.

Ignoring the fact that some of these ratings come from comic feats anyway:​

Sonya Blade
Cassie Cage
Jacqui Briggs
Johnny Cage
Jax Briggs
Baraka
Kano
Sektor
Kotal Kahn
Geras
Fujin
Cetrion
Other
Compare all of the above to shit like Fire God Liu Kang nuking armies and melting/blowing up every barricade that looks at him funny, all of which are treated as absurdly impressive within the context of the setting. (As they rightly should be, since they are far and away the largest direct displays of power we see in any Current Timeline story mode.)

And please, let's not try to write this off with "this is PIS" or "the guns/bombs/missiles/tanks/chains/Koliseum door/prison cell is clearly stronger than a normal one", because neither of those arguments follow.

Restricting a God?
This concerns the Original Timeline more than it does the Current Timeline, but while I would like to save the bulk of revisions regarding the OT for later, this is something that needs to be addressed now.

We are currently assuming that every demigod character has a "restricted" and "unrestricted" form, based on some basic...stuff. Actually, a lot of that interpretation seems to be made from cobbled-together bits of info from both continuities. After looking into it very deeply, I've come to the conclusion that it's bullshit. Here's why.

The series repeatedly states that Shao Kahn is limited by the rules of the Mortal Kombat tournament. Between that, a brief statement in Raiden's MK3 ending which says he has to take a mortal form in order to fight, and another brief statement (which I can't find as of this writing) which states Shao Kahn and Raiden are the same type of being, people have somehow come to the conclusion that these rules forcibly limit Shao Kahn and Raiden's power in order for them to participate. Or something.

Problem is, the rules and restrictions of Mortal Kombat have nothing to do with a being's innate power or how much of it they're allowed to use at a given point. The rules of Mortal Kombat exist to prevent unchecked mergers, in order to preserve the balance of the realms. MK9 explicitly notes that the Elder Gods and their rules of Mortal Kombat do not protect a realm from direct harm or invasion, and that the only reason Kahn can't just sack the place is because Sindel set some sort of protection around Earthrealm when she died. In the Current Timeline, that is how Shao Kahn is limited. He can't merge the realms without winning the tournament, and he can't invade the place because of Sindel's ward. Once the latter is gone, his forces tear the place a new one and he more or less gets to do whatever he wants until he tries actually merging the realms like an idiot.

"But without the rules of Mortal Kombat in place, Shao Kahn took an attack from the Elder Gods."

Ah yes, the Current Timeline feat that makes the least amount of sense.

This is what Shao Kahn looks like after fighting Elder-God-empowered Raiden. This does not at all imply that he's on their level the way the above-mentioned showing does; Raiden is completely uninjured, while Shao Kahn is beaten, broken, bruised, battered, short of breath and barely able to stand or lift his hammer. In a direct comparison of "Shao Kahn VS the Elder Gods", there is no parity here whatsoever. Shao Kahn is clearly the inferior one, by a long shot.

Why was he able to laugh off an attack from the Elder Gods moments beforehand? There's no telling, honestly. But what I can say is that he repeatedly fails to replicate that kind of durability at any point before or after the fight between himself and an empowered Raiden. And that is important, because MK9 is the last Mortal Kombat tournament to take place in the current timeline. None of the subsequent games have any Mortal Kombat tournaments taking place, yet Shao Kahn never shows himself to be any more powerful than he was during the in-universe tournaments. Hell, none of the demigods or Elder Gods show themselves to be overwhelmingly stronger in spite of this fact.

Nevermind the fact that Shinnok (who shouldn't be restricted by these rules at all; the Elder Gods' limitations don't mean anything to the Elder Gods themselves) needed the power of the Jinsei throughout MKX in order to even attempt to lifewipe the planet when, if he's anywhere near as powerful as he is currently rated, he should be capable of doing that on his lonesome.

Also, the "unrestricted" ratings themselves come from Original Timeline showings, most notably one that comes from an old UMK3 ending. My gripes with that showing (There's a good chance that "until the very core of the Earth was shaken" is just hyperbole) and the above-mentioned reasoning for not mixing the timelines aside, this seems like a perfect place to transition into...

Why Character Endings Shouldn't Be Used
Let's be honest; if a character ending isn't canon, it's probably overexaggerated in some way, shape or form. More times than not, the Arcade endings are meant to serve as big 'Y'done good, son' rewards for players who've managed to beat the game's boss, with many of them clearly conflicting with what actually happens in the events of each game. Some examples from the Original Timeline include Sonya beating Shao Kahn 1-on-1 even though later games have her getting demolished by much weaker enemies, and Kung Lao beating the hell out of Shang Tsung by himself even when Deception later establishes that Tsung and Quan Chi were too strong for all of the heroes to defeat while said heroes were working together. The Current Timeline gets in on this too, with Liu Kang's MK9 ending having him beat Raiden in a straight fight even though A. the MK9 story has the latter killing him by accidentally using too much of his power and B. MK11 later reveals that he's fated to battle Raiden and lose. And that's saying nothing in regards to MK11's Arcade Mode allowing everyone on the roster to beat Kronika when people like Jax and Jacqui need an amp to beat the decidedly weaker Cetrion in the game's Story mode.

A lot of people seem to go with the interpretation that these endings are just alternate possibilities. I don't personally agree with that interpretation when they contradict the stories themselves and the established limits of each character, but even if you do run with that interpretation, having one or two notable showings featured in character endings means nothing when compared to about a dozen inferior showings in the story that set the characters' limits much lower.

Why Fatalities and Other Such Things Shouldn't Be Used
Another big part of our problem comes from the fact that we're using MK fatalities for ratings right now.

The Fatalities are, put simply, exaggerations of what each character is capable of. Some of them are replicated in stories, cutscenes, et cetera, but most are highly contradicted by what we see the characters actually do. With the current timeline, you can see as much based on the many showings outlined elsewhere on this thread, especially in regards to higher-rated characters.

Even if you choose to ignore everything else that was outlined above regarding just how frequently the MK cast are portrayed they way they are, there's also the fact that these game animations aren't even consistent with themselves. This doesn't kill, but this does? Someone who can survive this can't survive this? Someone who lives through this gets killed by this? This shit doesn't kill you, but this does?

You can try to alleviate this by disregarding the latter showings, but at that point you're just cherrypicking.

So What Do We Do?
We need to work with what's consistently portrayed within the confines of the games' stories, not the nonsensically high-end feats and interpretations we've been running with for so long. It's clear from analyzing the three most recent games in the series that the Current Timeline treats its characters as being much weaker than what we've been giving them credit for, and the few legitimate higher-tier feats we have are non-canon, outliers contradicted by more consistent limits shown, or both.

We also need to separate the Current Timeline from the Original Timeline. It makes zero sense that we're cross-scaling the two.

I'm open to using whatever calcs we can from the three Current Timeline story modes. I believe Test Your Might is also something we can use since, while it is a minigame, modern iterations of it don't actually stray that far from how the Story Modes portray most of the characters.

Other than that, stupid and impossible-to-scale things things like the many player-driven Story Mode fights can be ignored, per usual. Frankly, the actual scaling of the series thus far (barring that which comes from comic book fights and cross-timeline shit) seems fine from what I can see. It's just the ratings that need changing.

P.S.: Part II will deal with the Original Timeline, so let's keep irrelevant discussion of that to a minimum, please.​

Last edited:
Nice, I will read through this and give my thoughts about it. Can I also put a list of new powers and abilities that characters in Aftermath have demonstrated?

Nice, I will read through this and give my thoughts about it. Can I also put a list of new powers and abilities that characters in Aftermath have demonstrated?
I was going to get into that once the new ratings were teased out, but you can do so if you like.

Last edited:
Okay, I've read the entire post and I'll say something about it.

The thing about current timeline characters scaling to their selves in the Midway timeline has been a problem that I've always wanted to fix, so I'll agree with changing the profiles to not scale with each other. Right now I don't know how this will be dealt with, but I assume NRS and Midway characters will have separate profiles from each other, since you said that this was something like DC Comics' New 52 era.

About the MKX comics, I don't know what to say about this yet, I'm aware that the writer says their canon even though Boon and Kittelsen (the guy who wrote the comics, MK11, and Aftermath) say otherwise when they were asked on Twitter.

As for the PIS stuff like Present Sonya's death and others, I think this is going to need a lot of discussion since it applies to so many characters especially lower tier fighters. I think we can discuss that here in this thread.

I agree with your point about the restriction of gods and deities in MK.

I also agree with not scaling characters to their arcade endings. I don't think many characters will be affected by it, besides the gods and whoever beats them.

I don't think Fatalities shouldn't be used at all, at least for scaling and ratings. It's fine if we don't use a Fatality like MK11 Sonya's helicopter blade finisher or anything like it because it's an exaggeration of what the character can do, but stuff like Cetrion's giantess beam finisher is fine by me since it's consistent with what is shown in the canon story. Shang Tsung absorbed pretty much everyone including Kronika (who absorbed her daughter) and gained their own abilities, demonstrated when Shang has God Liu's lightning ability and Cetrion's size shifting (both seen in the bad ending). I'd say this is a case by case scenario with who gets stuff from their Fatalities and who doesn't.

I stand up and applaud. I believe The4thSnake had a video in which at one point he pointed out how the MK comic was retcon'd but is still canon when it suits the verse, so while annoying, I wouldn't 100% discard it (Johnny also implies that Jacqui doesn't have super strength while fighting her iirc, so more anti-feats).

Aside from that I agree with everything, stuff from Fatalities and endings we shouldn't 100% ignore, but the take of ignoring them should be always welcome.

From point to point:
The thing about current timeline characters scaling to their selves in the Midway timeline has been a problem that I've always wanted to fix, so I'll agree with changing the profiles to not scale with each other. Right now I don't know how this will be dealt with, but I assume NRS and Midway characters will have separate profiles from each other, since you said that this was something like DC Comics' New 52 era.
I compare it to the New 52 because, while these are technically the same characters, many of their histories and continuities are blatantly changed, and quite a few of them actually have different capabilities than before (Noob Saibot has several new powers, Shinnok's amulet can vaporize people, Sonya has ******* combat drones, Scorpion can summon demons) and/or are missing older powers. A lot of things are introduced in the NetherRealm canon that were never present in Midway's canon, and the whole thing is just different now than it was before, with the overwhelming majority of the Midway material being outright ignored as of late.

But yes, I definitely think it's going to be a matter of creating separate profiles for Midway canon and NetherRealm canon. It's what makes the most sense.

About the MKX comics, I don't know what to say about this yet, I'm aware that the writer says their canon even though Boon and Kittelsen (the guy who wrote the comics, MK11, and Aftermath) say otherwise when they were asked on Twitter.
Cianciolo's statement is extremely recent, having come out within this exact month. Boon's statement is much older, and at the time of that statement, it was clear that they intended for the comics to be canon. (They were outright marketed as such back when they were still in production) These things can change over time. It's likely that they realized the comics introduce massive plot-holes when taken alongside the MKX and MK11 stories (though admittedly, those holes aren't that much worse than the ones Boon & Friends have introduced themselves) and decided they were better off just ignoring the comic series entirely.

And unfortunately, as much as I'd like to take Kittelsen's word, his statement is also much older (it's from last year), and his word has no real priority when compared to the lead story director for the studio.

As for the PIS stuff like Present Sonya's death and others, I think this is going to need a lot of discussion since it applies to so many characters especially lower tier fighters. I think we can discuss that here in this thread.
I wouldn't discuss it anywhere else.

Just so we're clear, I wouldn't consider this PIS. It'd be one thing if it were contradicted by other events in the series, but judging from the many, many examples I provided, the games seem to consistently treat her as being that weak. She herself, as well as characters on her level (and even characters stronger than them), are repeatedly inconvenienced and even killed by things far inferior to rock avalanches and C4 explosions.

Which, if you ask me, is ******* disappointing. But we can't just ignore that.

I agree with your point about the restriction of gods and deities in MK.
Good to hear. I'm glad we're at an understanding about that.

I also agree with not scaling characters to their arcade endings. I don't think many characters will be affected by it, besides the gods and whoever beats them.
Also good to hear.

Just to add to this though, lore information presented in endings should be fine to use. Things like Shinnok being sealed for millions of years, the gods warring with each other, the Zaterrans being wiped out, et cetera are well-documented, so I'm not suggesting we throw all of that out.

Endings that are canon (which is only really a thing in the Original Timeline, but whatever) should also be fine to draw from, for obvious reasons.

I don't think Fatalities shouldn't be used at all, at least for scaling and ratings. It's fine if we don't use a Fatality like MK11 Sonya's helicopter blade finisher or anything like it because it's an exaggeration of what the character can do, but stuff like Cetrion's giantess beam finisher is fine by me since it's consistent with what is shown in the canon story. Shang Tsung absorbed pretty much everyone including Kronika (who absorbed her daughter) and gained their own abilities, demonstrated when Shang has God Liu's lightning ability and Cetrion's size shifting (both seen in the bad ending). I'd say this is a case by case scenario with who gets stuff from their Fatalities and who doesn't.
The issue is that Cetrion never actually does anything close to that size-shifting finisher in the MK11 story. She was clearly bent on getting Kronika's crown and willing to kill Jax and Jacqui if necessary, so if she were capable of growing large enough to bearhug the entire planet, why did she have to resort to splitting the ground a little so that Jacqui could "maybe" fall to her death?

Moreover, why would she struggle to maintain a rock bridge across the Sea of Blood if she were capable of that kind of power? And why would Shinnok need the power of the Jinsei throughout MKX if the Elder Gods can pull out displays of power like that? Hell, why does neither character show this kind of might at any point in the two games' respective stories?

As for Shang Tsung, well, we know for a fact that the Elder Gods are normally that large whenever they're on their thrones. We see that much every time Raiden consults with speaks to the Elder Gods, and even MK9 (which depicts them much differently) shows them being giant. There isn't really a good explanation for why they're always portrayed so large when the ones we see in the stories (Shinnok and Cetrion) are never shown to be that big when walking around or even fighting people, but it seems like that's just how they are when they're on their thrones.

Though considering Shang Tsung had by that point absorbed the souls of two demigods, an Elder God, a Titan, and whatever the hell Fire God Liu Kang was, I have no idea how much the above holds up when it comes to his form in that ending...

Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. The point is, the Fatalities that aren't reflected within the stories are often just hilariously over-the-top animations that exaggerate what the characters can do. Obviously some characters perform the ones more synonymous with them in-story (Scorpion's iconic Skull Flamethrower appears in MK9, for example), but the ones that don't appear in-story are almost always way out of each character's league, and a lot of the in-game cinematics in general just don't follow as far as consistency is concerned. I do agree that this should be a case-by-case thing, but the criteria for that should, in my opinion, be centered around whether or not the character actually uses the powers shown in their Fatalities at any point.

I believe The4thSnake had a video in which at one point he pointed out how the MK comic was retcon'd but is still canon when it suits the verse, so while annoying, I wouldn't 100% discard it (Johnny also implies that Jacqui doesn't have super strength while fighting her iirc, so more anti-feats).
My main thing is that the most recent statement we have is a pretty solid "No" on the MKX comics being canon, and that's on top of the fact that several of their events are flat-out ignored in the games as it is.

I would really like for the comics to be canon (I enjoyed those stories a hell of a lot more than I did the last two games' Story Modes although Aftermath was, surprisingly, a step in the right direction imo), but between the games acting like they don't exist 90% of the time and the lead story guy being as blunt as he can right now about them not being canon, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:
I think some intros dialogues reference it, for what that's worth. I know that means little, but retcons are just that, retcons to specific things, not necessarily that the whole thing doesn't exist, meanwhile intros try as they can get new inform until f*cking up, therefore to bring up something supposedly outright decanonized seems beyond fishy.

I think some intros dialogues reference it, for what that's worth. I know that means little, but retcons are just that, retcons to specific things, not necessarily that the whole thing doesn't exist, meanwhile intros try as they can get new inform until f*cking up, therefore to bring up something supposedly outright decanonized seems beyond fishy.
The intro dialogues also reference things like Raiden and Sub-Zero appearing in Injustice, with one of those interactions (between Raiden and Cetrion) even implying that Raiden's appearance in that series actually happened at some point.

Point being, the intro dialogues are decidedly not a good indicator of what is and isn't canon. Most of them are flavor interactions and fanservice independent of the stories. Not that the stories don't contradict themselves a lot of the time too, but still.

Meanwhile, we have the lead story director insisting right this moment that the MKX comics aren't canon in the most blunt way he possibly can. Does that seem like a really big turnaround from Kittelsen saying "Yes, the comics are still totally canon" a year ago? Yes. Does that change anything? Unfortunately, no.

Last edited:
Just a question, do we accept using intro and victory poses as references for a character's powers like Shang's soulnado and Rain's thunderstorm?

I know we can't use those kinds of cinematics for feats and such but they do have some interesting powers and usage of them for some characters

Just a question, do we accept using intro and victory poses as references for a character's powers like Shang's soulnado and Rain's thunderstorm?

I know we can't use those kinds of cinematics for feats and such but they do have some interesting powers and usage of them for some characters
I'm not entirely sure, but as far as I can recall, most of the characters display those powers elsewhere anyway.

So what would a consistent tier for the cast then? Are we keeping the high 8-C or going lower?
Much lower. High 8-C is practically nonexistent for the lower tiers, and also comes from scaling off a comic book feat anyway. The overwhelming majority of the cast displays limits that are nowhere near that high in the games' stories.

However...

We have a shitload of middle-to-upper-end Tier 9 feats, especially later into the series. A lot of characters can be scaled to Shang Tsung's displays of power in this area (blowing up a helicopter, shooting Geras through a stone pillar and smashing cyberized Lin Kuei units are some that come to mind), especially now that he's fought several of them in cutscenes as of Aftermath. We've also got Nightwolf surviving being kicked through a stone tomb in MK9, Jacqui's energy blasts being able to blow through trees in MKX, Kotal and Ermac tanking those energy blasts soundly, and a handful of other showings that also fall squarely into that territory. These feats aren't necessarily contradicted by the times where they are vulnerable to things like bullets and bombs (the latter are Tier 9, and we've establised semi-recently that the former can penetrate Tier 9 flesh targets), and that range of power is shown so commonly throughout the NetherRealm timeline that there's no way we can rate the characters any lower than that.

For higher tiers, we have Revenant Liu Kang collapsing a stone ceiling, Raiden flying through that concrete bridge in MK9 and generating enough electricity to fry entire groups of people in MK11/Aftermath, and (for the Elder God level characters) pretty much everything that Shinnok and Cetrion do onscreen in their respective stories.

For the absolute top tiers (barring shit like the One Being, assuming we can even rate that being's self in the NetherRealm canon), we have all of Fire God Liu Kang's displays of raw power, as well as Fujin one-shotting the gate to Kronika's fortress while empowered by her crown, the latter of which was something no other character present in that scene could do. Kronika and end-of-Aftermath Shang Tsung should scale, since they're both capable of fighting him and the latter ends up being even stronger than the former.

I'm not going to try to assign specific tiers or numerical values to these feats until someone calcs them, because I'm not a calc expert in the least and I'd rather someone who's experienced in said field be the one to handle that before we start ballparking.

EDIT: Nightwolf also has a really good bullet-timing feat in Aftermath, where he slices a bullet from Erron's revolver in half with a thrown axe well after it's fired at him. That might be good enough for a speed upgrade for several of the characters, or at the very least serve as further justification for their current speed ratings. Erron himself dodges that axe immediately afterwards, so he 100% scales.

Last edited:
As I said before I mostly agree with a lot of this but I have my issues

1) We... don't use MK11 as the OG Timeline

We know it's 9 we just assumed they had the same power levels before MK11 (Which obviously I see is whack now)

We discussed removing that scaling tho previously

2) Honestly I call bullshit on this

Forgive my arrogance but this is the same head of narrative that said the infamous Kronika > One Being so it's not like he's the most reliable for WOG (Which we have ignored in the past if it doesn't fit)

As for the continuity errors.... this is Netherrealm. They can barely keep a consistent narrative between games and we see other examples of them being bad at keeping track at this (Injustice basically retcons the whole of the comics continuity but we seem to accept that)

Also for every continuity error there are dozens of references to X such as:

*IReiko's madness
*Rain playing Mileena

And the dialogues and MK11 are written by the same man (Shawn Kittleson) so this is very much intentional

So yeah errors are there but there's way too much material acknowledging the comics for me to be completely fine with just throwing them all out. I do think they should be treated as secondary to the games but still the references exist and the feats applicable

3) Agree with this

The characters are overplayed rn and if anything, the High 8-C belongs to Kotal Kahn (Since Sonya expresses doubt her weapons could hurt the Oni and Kotal's sword is covered in it's blood)

4) Again agree

I never understood why we scaled characters to arccade endings for no other reason then someone's fav verse wouldn't be Mountain level or whatever

Street Fighter makes liberal usage of this and I remember getting shouted down since "Ugh that's what could have happened" even though it didn't

In fact this should be bro8ught up more since every fighting game verse justifies tiering partially based off this

5) Not big on Test Your Might but can live with it. My issue is its a non canon minigame where anyone can accomplish the feats in question (It'd be like using Motor Kombat to give everyone Vehicular Mastery)

As I said before I mostly agree with a lot of this but I have my issues
You're welcome to them. I'll go through each of them in order.

1) We... don't use MK11 as the OG Timeline

We know it's 9 we just assumed they had the same power levels before MK11 (Which obviously I see is whack now)

We discussed removing that scaling tho previously
We straight up have several characters whose profiles have "First Tournament/Second Tournament" keys, scaling to other profiles which have "Mortal Kombat I/Mortal Kombat II" keys. Many of the profiles have references to both timelines scattered throughout their statistics, and some (Ex: Shang Tsung, Quan Chi) even have keys for PS2 era games.

And I'm going to level with you here; if it's really as you say it is, then it's the same problem with different window dressing. The main point is that info from both timelines are lumped together when they shouldn't be.

2) Honestly I call bullshit on this

Forgive my arrogance but this is the same head of narrative that said the infamous Kronika > One Being so it's not like he's the most reliable for WOG (Which we have ignored in the past if it doesn't fit)
There's a difference between someone saying "X character is stronger than Y" when they aren't and someone saying an entire set of source materials isn't canon as of a given writing. I'm not here to scale characters off "Dumbinic" Cianciolo's opinion on them; I'm saying that this is the most recent official statement regarding canon and that there is plenty of in-game evidence to back it up.
As for the continuity errors.... this is Netherrealm. They can barely keep a consistent narrative between games and we see other examples of them being bad at keeping track at this (Injustice basically retcons the whole of the comics continuity but we seem to accept that)

Also for every continuity error there are dozens of references to X such as:

*IReiko's madness
*Rain playing Mileena

So yeah errors are there but there's way too much material acknowledging the comics for me to be completely fine with just throwing them all out. I do think they should be treated as secondary to the games but still the references exist and the feats applicable
This isn't an Injustice CRT, so I'm not going to go into what should or shouldn't be done with that series. That is an unrelated matter.

Aside from the ones involving Kotal's backstory, all of these references come from intro dialogues, which I've noted are not the best metric for what is and isn't canon in the series. If we base our canon off those, then Injustice and MK VS DCU are canon to MK11. (Which is clearly not the case in the actual stories)

Mileena's case is especially worth ignoring, since she doesn't even show up in any MK11 story material whatsoever.

Now I'm going to level with you again, because this in particular is very important; Shang Tsung confirms that Havik is alive as of Aftermath's Story Mode, despite his death (and the events surrounding him that led up to said death) being a central focus of the MKX comics' story. That means 90% of the MKX comics' entire plot never happened, no matter how many vague references there are. He also says this after confirming that he BFR'd Geras to Chaosrealm so that he could be dealt with there, which means Havik wasn't brought back by Kronika and is likely not even on her radar.

As for what few references to the comic do exist in the Story Modes themselves, the same stories also make multiple references to Bi-Han's central role in MK Mythologies: Sub-Zero. Should that mean Mythologies is canon to the NetherRealm timeline?

And the dialogues and MK11 are written by the same man (Shawn Kittleson) so this is very much intentional
Maybe back in 2018-2019 when the main MK11 story was being written, sure, it's possible that it was. But even if that's true, that has clearly changed as of 2020.

3) Agree with this

The characters are overplayed rn and if anything, the High 8-C belongs to Kotal Kahn (Since Sonya expresses doubt her weapons could hurt the Oni and Kotal's sword is covered in it's blood)
I wouldn't even say Kotal is that strong anymore, given people like Fujin need an amp from Kronika's crown to perform genuine destructive feats above Tier 9. (And in his case, he was still left drained for a brief time afterwards) Kotal gets handled by people like Shao Kahn frequently save for the one player-driven fight where he beats the latter, and he also never displays that kind of power on his own. Indeed, as I noted in the OP, his own showings suggest he isn't that strong.

Still, it's good to know that I'm not the only one looking at the current ratings funny right now.

4) Again agree

I never understood why we scaled characters to arccade endings for no other reason then someone's fav verse wouldn't be Mountain level or whatever

Street Fighter makes liberal usage of this and I remember getting shouted down since "Ugh that's what could have happened" even though it didn't

In fact this should be bro8ught up more since every fighting game verse justifies tiering partially based off this
We can burn that bridge when we get to it.

5) Not big on Test Your Might but can live with it. My issue is its a non canon minigame where anyone can accomplish the feats in question (It'd be like using Motor Kombat to give everyone Vehicular Mastery)
Unlike Test Your Might, Motor Kombat is a parody of Mario Kart featuring complete cartoonizations of the characters, the same way Puzzle Kombat is a parody of Tetris featuring the same. It also shows the characters doing things they've never done in canon, like Kitana being able to summon a forcefield for some reason.

Now I'm not exactly hell-bent on getting ratings from Test Your Might, so whether or not we decide to do so is everyone else's decision to make. We probably won't even have to, considering how many likely superior feats exist in the Story Mode cutscenes. I only suggest it because calcs based on that could be used for support if we really feel like it.

Regardless, the above comparison is apples and oranges.

Last edited:
You're welcome to them. I'll go through each of them in order.

We straight up have several characters whose profiles have "First Tournament/Second Tournament" keys, scaling to other profiles which have "Mortal Kombat I/Mortal Kombat II" keys. Many of the profiles have references to both timelines scattered throughout their statistics, and some (Ex: Shang Tsung, Quan Chi) even have keys for PS2 era games.

And I'm going to level with you here; if it's really as you say it is, then it's the same problem with different window dressing. The main point is that info from both timelines are lumped together when they shouldn't be.
Ah shit good catch (In that case that really is whack

There's a difference between someone saying "X character is stronger than Y" when they aren't and someone saying an entire set of source materials isn't canon as of a given writing. I'm not here to scale characters off "Dumbinic" Cianciolo's opinion on them; I'm saying that this is the most recent official statement regarding canon and that there is plenty of in-game evidence to back it up.

This isn't an Injustice CRT, so I'm not going to go into what should or shouldn't be done with that series. That is an unrelated matter.

Aside from the ones involving Kotal's backstory, all of these references come from intro dialogues, which I've noted are not the best metric for what is and isn't canon in the series. If we base our canon off those, then Injustice and MK VS DCU are canon to MK11. (Which is clearly not the case in the actual stories)
I mean MK V DC is considered MK 8...

In all seriousness I feel you but still.

Many of these references exist in story mode too and aspects of the story straight up don't work without them.

The Ciancolo reference is relevant specifically BECAUSE it's an example of Dom outright ignoring canon in a Twitter answer and probably why we shouldn't take what he says into consideration

We've outright ignored WOG before and I'd personally consider the word of the man who wrote both 11 and the Comics above the word of someone who may or may not have even been involved with them
Mileena's case is especially worth ignoring, since she doesn't even show up in any MK11 story material whatsoever.

Now I'm going to level with you again, because this in particular is very important; Shang Tsung confirms that Havik is alive as of Aftermath's Story Mode, despite his death (and the events surrounding him that led up to said death) being a central focus of the MKX comics' story. That means 90% of the MKX comics' entire plot never happened, no matter how many vague references there are. He also says this after confirming that he BFR'd Geras to Chaosrealm so that he could be dealt with there, which means Havik wasn't brought back by Kronika and is likely not even on her radar.

As for what few references to the comic do exist in the Story Modes themselves, the same stories also make multiple references to Bi-Han's central role in MK Mythologies: Sub-Zero. Should that mean Mythologies is canon to the NetherRealm timeline?
I... didn't reference Mileena

As for the Havik point it's kinda fuzzy. Kronika clearly doesn't have full control over who she brings back (Otherwise why would she bring back more opponents to her plan?) and we see they aren't limited to the same locations

So why is it a stretch to say the same happened to Havik and that Shang (Who was outside time and has awareness of the chain of events) would know this?
Maybe back in 2018-2019 when the main MK11 story was being written, sure, it's possible that it was. But even if that's true, that has clearly changed as of 2020.

I wouldn't even say Kotal is that strong anymore, given people like Fujin need an amp from Kronika's crown to perform genuine destructive feats above Tier 9. (And in his case, he was still left drained for a brief time afterwards) Kotal gets handled by people like Shao Kahn frequently save for the one player-driven fight where he beats the latter, and he also never displays that kind of power on his own. Indeed, as I noted in the OP, his own showings suggest he isn't that strong
Not saying he is (Honestly depends on the calcs), just noting the High 8-C feat doesn't actually apply to the fodder unless everyone scales to everyone (Which sucks

I would note Kotal is... weird. He has showings like the above and, despite losing, is able to match Shao on three separate occasions while at the same time being laid out by the likes of Jade and Kung Jin. He could honestly be anywhere tiering wise

The Fujin point is solid but I would note the whole AP vs DC matter here. If we have calcs above the Gate feat that are consistent then that would be taking precedence here as you'd know

I got a question about the new KP2 characters. Do they get to have the new powers and abilities that they display in their gameplay? For example, Rain has some interesting hax with spacetime and water while Mileena has the ability to turn invisible.

Ah shit good catch (In that case that really is whack
Indeed...

I mean MK V DC is considered MK 8...
...What? No it isn't. Armageddon was the eighth (main) game in the series.

EDIT: Nevermind, I miscounted there.

Though still, MK VS DCU's story events are clearly separate from those of both Armageddon and MK9. There's nowhere in either timeline that the events of that game can be slotted.
In all seriousness I feel you but still.

Many of these references exist in story mode too and aspects of the story straight up don't work without them.
Yes, and it pisses me off. But when we're talking about NetherRealm and their notoriously broad approach to canon, we need to consider the fact that they really do take each game as it comes and that their newer additions frequently nullify older ones.

The Ciancolo reference is relevant specifically BECAUSE it's an example of Dom outright ignoring canon in a Twitter answer and probably why we shouldn't take what he says into consideration

We've outright ignored WOG before and I'd personally consider the word of the man who wrote both 11 and the Comics above the word of someone who may or may not have even been involved with them
I get the sentiment. Really, I do. But the sad truth of the matter is that Cianciolo is, thanks to his title (sigh...), the man who "outranks" Kittelsen in this regard.

By the same token, if Ed Boon himself comes along later (or even right this very moment) and gives the finger to Cianciolo by saying "**** that, the comics are still canon", then I'll 100% concede on this point. Happily.

I... didn't reference Mileena
Hellbeast (earlier) said:
*Rain playing Mileena
?
As for the Havik point it's kinda fuzzy. Kronika clearly doesn't have full control over who she brings back (Otherwise why would she bring back more opponents to her plan?) and we see they aren't limited to the same locations

So why is it a stretch to say the same happened to Havik and that Shang (Who was outside time and has awareness of the chain of events) would know this?
Because then Havik would have been banished to the Void alongside him, Nightwolf and Fujin, as he clearly wasn't aiding her during the events of MK11 or Aftermath and it's confirmed at the beginning of the latter that those who refused her offer were banished to the Void. The entire reason they were able to break out was because Kronika was killed in the future; that he never appeared alongside them, never appears amongst Kronika's forces, and is then referenced well into the past when Kronika is still alive— as an outside party that will "keep [Geras] entertained"— suggests that Havik was never brought back by Kronika to begin with.

Which means he never died in canon.

Not saying he is (Honestly depends on the calcs), just noting the High 8-C feat doesn't actually apply to the fodder unless everyone scales to everyone (Which sucks

I would note Kotal is... weird. He has showings like the above and, despite losing, is able to match Shao on three separate occasions while at the same time being laid out by the likes of Jade and Kung Jin. He could honestly be anywhere tiering wise
Kotal's fights VS Kung Jin and Jade are player-driven. It's pretty clear that those are just plot-convenient wins necessary for the player to progress the story (like practically every other player-driven fight in the series), so they should be ignored.

On the other hand, Kotal never once actually does any meaningful damage to Shao at any point. His blows are repeatedly blocked and he gets outmuscled frequently, and even the few direct blows he does manage to land (read: all of two of them across every single fight) do practically nothing to Shao. Meanwhile Shao's blows clearly hurt him a lot more, even if those blows don't one-shot him outright.

The Fujin point is solid but I would note the whole AP vs DC matter here. If we have calcs above the Gate feat that are consistent then that would be taking precedence here as you'd know
I concur. My point was more that Kotal isn't likely to scale to them given his very apparent limitations, not unless those higher-end calcs scale to most of the cast.

Which, as you and I seem to agree, probably isn't going to happen.
I got a question about the new KP2 characters. Do they get to have the new powers and abilities that they display in their gameplay? For example, Rain has some interesting hax with spacetime and water while Mileena has the ability to turn invisible.
I'm hesitant to say yes or no to that. On one hand, several of the characters are clearly able to do most of the same things in cutscenes that they can in gameplay. (Scorpion, Sub-Zero and especially Shang Tsung are prime examples of that) But on the other hand, I feel strange about saying no to Fatalities only to say yes to in-game Special Moves. It feels like a double-standard, albeit one that can potentially be supported.

Last edited:
Oh I see

The rain comment is about the MKX stuff and is also mentioned in X

My bad

I still find the Kotal thing odd

Man actually pieces Shao Kahn and left him screaming in pain (though at most that’s an X Tier, Likely X Tier situation)

Last edited by a moderator:
I still find the Kotal thing odd

Man actually pieces Shao Kahn and left him screaming in pain (though at most that’s an X Tier, Likely X Tier situation)
We already know that piercing weapons mitigate differences in one's strength VS another's durability to a degree, so that's one thing that explains that.

Another is that even though Shao yells in pain, the blade mostly just sinks into his shoulder. (Compare that to Kotal's usual showings where he flat out cuts people in two with the thing) And then Shao proceeds to just push it right out of his skin and attack with even greater ferocity than before.

Note my choice of wording. I said that Kotal never does any meaningful damage to Shao. Which he doesn't. What little damage he deals in their cutscene fights is superficial at best despite clearly going all out, whereas Shao physically breaks him many times without requiring nearly as much effort to do so.

Last edited:
I actually agree with the revision. I couldn’t get my head around why characters like Baraka were Large Building level, especially with what was stated here.

I'm with Hellbeast here in a lot of ways; half the things in the OP are solid, but a lot of things are shit tbh. For one, MK11 pretty much made the entire MK multiverse canon; and that it's the same continuity as MK Vs DC and Injustice, which may also needs its own share of revisions. But, at the same time, Mr King is right about the cross scaling shenanigans. There are many versions of Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Johnny Cage, ect. And not all of them are equal; some versions are just that much stronger than others. And some universes within the multiverse have much stronger versions of their gods even.

Though, I think not breaking out of prison cells, dying from bullets, or getting hurt by Helicopter crashes are terrible reasons to propose downgrades; a simple cross-scaling is taboo + their strongest attack was calculated at Tier 9 + none of the characters in that version has ever fought anyone with feats exceeding Tier 9 on equal grounds. Those would have been much better; or at least made it clear that most of those anti-feats are likely PIS but that there's better arguments. I've pretty much agreed that fodder characters such as Baraka really shouldn't be considered equal to Sub-Zero and the like.

I think the scaling is pretty whack in a lot of areas, yeah
Outside this wiki, I've seen some people scale ******* Baraka to amped Raiden lmao

The first post seemed to make sense to me, but I am the wrong person to ask, so it is up to King, Medeus, Eficiente, and @LordGriffin1000 to figure out what should be done here.

I'm with Hellbeast here in a lot of ways; half the things in the OP are solid, but a lot of things are shit tbh. For one, MK11 pretty much made the entire MK multiverse canon; and that it's the same continuity as MK Vs DC and Injustice, which may also needs its own share of revisions. But, at the same time, Mr King is right about the cross scaling shenanigans. There are many versions of Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Johnny Cage, ect. And not all of them are equal; some versions are just that much stronger than others. And some universes within the multiverse have much stronger versions of their gods even.

Though, I think not breaking out of prison cells, dying from bullets, or getting hurt by Helicopter crashes are terrible reasons to propose downgrades; a simple cross-scaling is taboo + their strongest attack was calculated at Tier 9 + none of the characters in that version has ever fought anyone with feats exceeding Tier 9 on equal grounds. Those would have been much better; or at least made it clear that most of those anti-feats are likely PIS but that there's better arguments. I've pretty much agreed that fodder characters such as Baraka really shouldn't be considered equal to Sub-Zero and the like.
Yeah, MK11 complicated the timeline into a jumbled mess.

I'm with Hellbeast here in a lot of ways; half the things in the OP are solid, but a lot of things are shit tbh. For one, MK11 pretty much made the entire MK multiverse canon; and that it's the same continuity as MK Vs DC and Injustice, which may also needs its own share of revisions.
It isn't, though. Outside of the character intro dialogues, MK VS DC and Injustice are never once referenced in the games' stories themselves, and stuff like Scorpion, Raiden and Sub-Zero appearing in Injustice are also things that never take place in those games' stories.

They aren't terrible reasons when they happen so frequently in the stories.

There are more instances of things like the above than there are playable characters in MK11, and the characters who are victims of those moments have zero evidence that suggests the above isn't a part of their upper limits. At some point, you have to stop handwaving this shit as PIS and start realizing that most of it is extremely consistent. Even the Tier 9 feats we do have don't necessarily contradict things like Cassie being unable to break a prison door or Kano dying from being shot in the face with a pistol; if anything, the two sets of showings reinforce each other, since the Tier 9 feats and many of the anti-feats are within roughly the same range of tiering.

Which was the point of me bringing up every anti-feat to begin with. The sheer number of times such anti-feats appear in the NetherRealm canon makes our current ratings look absolutely laughable.

Regardless, if we agree on the bulk of what's in the OP, especially in regards to the current ratings and cross-scaling, then most of the above is moot anyway.

I honestly won't be any help with this sadly. I've played MK9, X, and seen 11 but for the life of me I can't grasp Mortal Kombat scaling and feats. I see it as a "whoever the story has you playing as will win just because" regardless of how idiotic it is.

I'm not saying you can't actually do some scaling, I'm just saying for someone like me, I won't be any help her, sorry. However I do agree on not using Character Endings, which I didn't know we used in the first place.

Honestly, most arguments against MrKing's OP seem to boil down to somewhat side-stepping the core claim he makes, that of consistency in the depiction of persons' tier-capable powers.

It's fair to point out some higher showings exist and should reasonably dismiss anything shown as a lower bound therein, but if the lower bound keeps coming up and being a solid detriment to a character allegedly above it, then we need to re-think dismissing said lower bound out-of-hand.

Overall, I am inclined to agree to the bulk of King's OP, and anything that people disagree with on the minutiae may require its own separate thread to sort out so that revisions can move forward in an amicable and timely manner.

Well, for verses that pretty much have no superhuman feats or characters who aren't Superhuman dying from bullet, or struggling to break out of prison cells sure. Such as various FPS verses, or Breaking Bad. But a lot of fighting games that tend to be all over the place. Everyone knows Johnny Cage would oneshot Saitama. But even bullets use stuff like penetration where it can harm large characters up to 9-B.

I more so meant the same multiverse; I heard people like Sera and others mention it on Discord. I pretty much agree that most MK characters are Batman tier roughly. There should be keys for different universes within the multiverse among other things.

Those will most likely be getting separate profiles entirely, for the sake of keeping things concise.
Well, for verses that pretty much have no superhuman feats or characters who aren't Superhuman dying from bullet, or struggling to break out of prison cells sure.
Just to keep hammering home my point about how consistent these things are, Sonya (who's roughly on-par with Cassie) needed tech in order to destroy a prison gate. She couldn't just break the thing apart with her bare hands.

So an assertion that "X character can't break out of a prison cell" is perfectly valid in this case. She herself isn't able to do it with her bare strength, and her relatively comparable mother needed technology in order to to do it.

Not to mention that Jax himself couldn't break out of his own cell. (Which is why Sonya had to come save him.)

Last edited:
The reboot timeline has an absurd amount of inconsistent power levels, retconned backstories, and incoherent storytelling (ex. sometimes hurting the past self hurts the future self, sometimes it doesn't. Whatever is convenient for the plot).

Backstories are wishy-washy. MK11 has the Crown of Jerrod in the Krypt stating that Shao Kahn beheaded Jerrod, D'Vorah claims to have killed Jerrod in an intro dialogue with Kitana, and Sindel was retconned into being the one who killed Jerrod in the DLC. Kabal's backstory in MK9 where he gained his super speed as a result of being healed in Outworld after being burned as a cop was obliterated in MK11, as it shows that a young Kabal already had super speed as a Black Dragon goon. So the broad strokes of the comic storyline should still be valid.
Plus, the writer of the MKX comic confirms that it is canon as of MK11.

I believe the best solution is to consider the high-end feats from gods and such to be environmental destruction that does not scale to their durability or physical strength.
Otherwise, we can try to make some vague and flawed tier list, and dismiss plenty of events/fights as outlier (such as Stryker, a NY cop who never heard of magic and other realms, beating up Kintaro who is more powerful than the undefeated Goro).

I agree that arcade endings and intro dialogues are useless for power scaling, but they can reveal legit backstories and lore, such as Titans beside Kronika being teased.

While some fatalities can be exaggerated as a joke or cool factor; case in point: Smoke blowing up planet Earth with his bombs, almost all of the fatalities are reasonable. So I am not sure about categorically dismissing them.
The elephant in the room would be Cetrion growing to the size of a planet:
CoarseHoarseGnu-max-1mb.gif

Should this be dismissed or not?
Raiden is weaker inside Netherrealm since Earthrealm is where he belongs, and the Netherrealm is somewhere Cetrion shouldn't be in which might explain why she struggled with creating the bridge.

I’m good with discarding Cetrion

Sindel can harm her with her Banshee scream and Fujin can make her bleed which, while implying she’s stronger, also seems indicative of them not being insanely far off her

This ignoring stuff like Shinnok being her opposite or his Corrupted form being able to challenge the Elder Gods

Also

I think Tremor ha some solid feats but idk if that can scale to the top tiers

In the DLC Sindel said that Elder Gods tremble before her which indicates that she is Elder God level. Fujin is likely comparable to his brother Raiden who is an Elder God like Cetrion. The problem is that 'Elder God level' has lots of anti-feats.

Raiden isn’t an Elder God but still

He should probably roughly s ale to Cetrion and co

Shao easily does too thanks to overwhelming a Geras that Raiden has trouble with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back