• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Steven Universe Movie Discussion Thread

Oh also: Somone get a calc on the drill lifting feat for my boi Steve-o. Class 50 is downright downplay after the movie.

This comment I'm about to post has been all over the internet and is therefore unoriginal but you guys notice Spinel is a physical embodiment of the AT song Sugar wrote "Everything Stays"?

Dargoo Faust said:
Oh also: Somone get a calc on the drill lifting feat for my boi Steve-o. Class 50 is downright downplay after the movie.
Pretty sure the Steven Universe movie was explicitly a time-skip. Not sure if we should readily apply that to the Steven two years before. Keyword: readily. Not saying we shouldn't, but rather I don't think we should yet.

Should we apply the calc to his profile then? We should also add his bubble gloves/new bubble forms to his NA/T section.

The real cal howard said:
The crew were said to be rusty post-timeskip.
Not only that, but Steven was severely power-drained when he pulled that feat off.

Nothing really says Steven's developed his powers massively beyond him using them more casually, the only thing in the movie that indicates a powerboost of some kind is when he regains his powers against Spinel.

Pink is an exercise of why you shouldn't run away from your problems when faced with adversity.

Yeah but It makes her very difficult to like character. I guess my biggest problem with her is she never learned her lesson, she ran away lost a bunch of her gems, lived happily on earth, had steven and never really had to deal with the fact her cowardice was solely responsible for mass deaths. She also never had to deal with what her negligence did to others, Looking at you spinel.

She passed on her mistakes to steven without ever having to confront who she was and what she did. I mean I guess we see her cry quite a few times but thats really not enough for the scale of her screwups...

Yeah but I feel like the show doesn't want me to despise her as a person and thats about the only thing I can feel for her....

Then again this is the show that wants you to forgive dictators that have performed horrible actions for hundreds of thousands of year....Just because they try to be better people because someone they care about told them to....

The warps were all destroyed by the time Pink/Rose probably starting regretting what she did to Spinel, to be fair, though.

You say that but I have a lot of trouble buying she even remembered. Even if she did that doesn't exactly absolve her of her sins. Its kinda like someone kicking something to death....them feeling sad about doesn't make them any less of a terrible person....

I don't Know my ongoing problem with the show and series on the whole is how forgiving it is. Id like just once a villain that wont bend to stevens pleas, a villain that's to broken to be save, a villain that's snapped so deeply the only thing steven can do is either kill or seal it forever. Im tired of every problem being solved through love.

Six thousand years alone unmoving should have been that point but it wasn't

edit to be fair it is a show meant for kids but I don't really approve of the message for kids either. Kids should not be learning to forgive every grievance simply because a person is trying to be better/change. Not every problem they ever cause can be solved with love and forgiveness.

I think a better quote for Steven would be

"Once upon a time, I thought I'd always be in my mother's shadow Answering for her crimes I thought I'd always be in an endless battle Until I began to own A power all my own That I could feel growing stronger every day And now I saved the world Not just that- the whole galaxy saved We did it!"

I feel like the opening line of the song is more iconic and conveys how things have progressed well without much exposition.

So I've seen the movie and I have a few complaints about the story:

1. The whole "Your mom ****** up Steven, now suffer for it" plot has been done before in the show and it feels like a rehash. Sure, Spinel is entertaining and well characterized, but her motivation has been done already.

2. The "fix the CG's amnesia" plot felt like filler to me meant to extend the movie length because of my first point. It seems that the writers realized they couldn't use Spinel to hold up an entire movie, so they needed something to fill for time.

3. This ties in to a larger complaint I have about the show, but they set it up that Spinel literally does nothing for 6000 years, sees Steven's "retirement" message, then shows up less than five minutes after Steven gets back to Earth and kicks everyone's ass. Now, I know that Homeworld has tech that can gove MFTL (Steven teleported intergalactic distances in seconds, his astral form did the same thing before "Change Your Mind," etc.) and your placement in time gets weird because of relativity, but that just means to me that at maximum, Spinel took a few hours to get the injector and arrive and STILL had enough skill and power to beat some of the best fighters in the universe (I don't buy that not fighting for two years would make them lose to someone THAT inexperienced).

The same thing happened with Lapis and Bismuth when they premiered, they did nothing for thousands of years and were still able to go toe-to-toe with the CG. The SU writers can't seem to do proper power scaling for their fights when introducing new characters like that and it bugs me to no end.

Spinel is not really skilled, she use the typical trope Confusion Fu, her chaotic nature makes her difficult for others to predict her movements and attacks. Also, gems are experienced, not really skilled, they are quite underwhelming for someone that have lived thousand of years.

But yes, Spinel reading the message and then finding an injector and rejuvenator in few minutes is kinda a hole in the writing.

Lapis just Frieza'd the gems (i.e. overpower without any need for skill). Bismuth was just friendly sparring barring when she tried to kill Steven, and even then Bismuth was a warrior who didn't lose any skill via essentially being in statsis for millennia. You're completely right about Spinel though, though that can possibly be attributed to her unpredictability and body control.

Didn't known we have that power here, I guess if she (along with Sapphire) have it in SPW then I guess it can have here.

WeeklyBattles said:
She wasnt sparring with steven, she sparred with the other Gems
Bismuth was just friendly sparring barring when she tried to kill Steven,
I mean, I'm pretty sure he meant friendly sparring with the gems, but the way he worded it made it look like he was saying she was friendly sparring with Steven.

Not just that, the page its an straight copy from the one from SPW, word by word, it even use the same picture. It shouldn't be a thing.

No.

But the real answer is that she's a spoiled little brat with no sense of consequence.

I get the opposite. I think we are supposed to, if not hate her, then at least question every single thing she's ever done. As much good as she's sown for Gemkind, she also left a wake of destruction in her path as well. Rose/Pink is what we call a 3-dimensional character, whose own motives and actions have consequences that maybe she foresaw, and maybe she didn't. She's good choices, and she's made just as many if not more bad choices.

Wouldn't we be where we are now without the gems? Humans are better off but taking our selfishness out of the picture how many more lives could have been saved/changed had she acted with more forethought? Humans may have been doomed but have you seen us? We're not exactly the best of example of something worth saving :p If anything if I saw humans and someone pointed me to rose's actions Id personally ask her (WHAT WERE YOU THINKING also thanks for saving my life)

Back