• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Small Mandrakk additions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be easy, yes, but the fact you made the claim in the first place means you're arguing in bad faith.
It clearly isn't easy as all you can do is accuse me of things and appeal to motive instead of actually arguing. Saying your opponent is arguing in bad faith without any explanation is not gonna help you win any debate, though if your aim is to commit fallacies it's certainly a good method.

You can say whatever you want, but the fact remains that Scott never said "lesser" but "less manifest." If you actually believed they meant the same, you wouldn't have needed to lie about what he said.

You can say whatever you want, but the fact remains that Scott never said "lesser" but "less manifest." If you actually believed they meant the same, you wouldn't have needed to lie about what he said.
This is a clear denial of my arguments. I explained why I had to say another word in a post, and later quoted it as well in case you missed it, and still you couldn't address my points and resorted to attacking me instead. Not only that but the fact instead of "less manifest" I used a word of the same meaning and didn't quote that word proves I didn't lie. So it's a lose-lose situation for you.

In one side of this argument you have a person accusing and attacking his opponent, in the other you have a person actually addressing the main points. I think this itself is enough proof of who's right here.

This is a clear denial of my arguments. I explained why I had to say another word in a post, and later quoted it as well in case you missed it, and still you couldn't address my points and resorted to attacking me instead. Not only that but the fact instead of "less manifest" I used a word of the same meaning and didn't quote that word proves I didn't lie. So it's a lose-lose situation for you.

In one side of this argument you have a person accusing and attacking his opponent, in the other you have a person actually addressing the main points. I think this itself is enough proof of who's right here.
Exactly
But
this falls under the hippopotamus fallacy

Sure, you can say that if you want. But the fact remains "less manifest" has no relation to the word "lesser" and Scott only said one of them.

Sure, you can say that if you want. But the fact remains "less manifest" has no relation to the word "lesser" and Scott only said one of them.
Irrelevant due to the fact I didn't quote the word. When I don't quote I don't have to state the exact word he mentioned, just a word with the same meaning.
Exactly
But
this falls under the hippopotamus fallacy
Can't argue against that logic.

Can you provide a reasoning to your claim or are you just gonna continue claiming?
I don't really see how it would be my job to teach you English. The two words aren't even somewhat related in meaning, and you most likely already know that. You can keep claiming it, but every time you claim Scott said "lesser" I'll correct you. He said "less manifest."

All you said is "it is." I don't need to offer anything more substantial than what you yourself said.
You want me to bring out a literal image then? Here is an image often used to display the consubstantiality in Christian theology. As depicted the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are still separate from one another. It is the godhead which they’re all aspects of that they’re the same as.

This is circular reasoning.
No it’s not. If I give someone a map of North America, and Africa is not a part of North America, we can conclude that Africa would not be a part of the map.

Sure. We know that because their names are both written on the white space and because the author told us so. There's also no canon material contradicting it.
Lol you just ignored my argument. How does Overvoids name being written on itself mean the Source is the Overvoid?

How does Overvoids name being written on itself mean the Source is the Overvoid?
It doesn't. It's amazing that you can fail to understand a line of reasoning that has been explained to you so many times.

It doesn't. It's amazing that you can fail to understand a line of reasoning that has been explained to you so many times.
Your line of reasoning doesn’t even make sense. It’s just a weak attempt at trying to correlate things that don’t correlate with one another. As the Source can be written on the Overvoid and still not be the Ovevoid.

Your line of reasoning doesn’t even make sense.
Given how poor your description of it was, you're clearly in no position to make such a claim. I never said the Overvoid's name being written on the white space meant the Source was the Overvoid. That's incoherent babble that doesn't remotely represent what I've said here.

You can't assess an argument you've repeatedly failed to even comprehend.

Can somebody explain the arguments and intended revisions from each side here please, along with your conclusions/agreements so far?

Can somebody explain the arguments and intended revisions from each side here please
The current discussion is about whether Mandrakk has transduality, and derivative of that, the question of whether or not the Source and Overvoid are the same thing.

OP: Xear argues that since Mandrakk was able to exist in the Overvoid, it logically follows that he must be transdual, because the Overvoid is transdual. Later he added a scan from Grant's JLA run in the 90s which described an Old God war machine as "beyond the Source" and since this character was said to be "at the edge of nothing" Mandrakk concluded that said "nothing" is the Overvoid, therefore the Overvoid is beyond the Source. This, in conjunction with a scan describing The Source as an indivisible ultimate concept, was used to argue further that Mandrakk is transdual because of his argument that being in the Overvoid means your beyond the Source.

My objections: In Xear's original OP, part of his evidence for Mandrakk's transduality was this scan where Grant describes the Overvoid as non-dual and where "all contradictions are resolved to unity." I objected to this as evidence for Mandrakk's transduality, because in that very same scan Grant says Mandrakk and CAS are a duality, and the non-duality of the Overvoid is defined in contrast to their duality.

He removed the scan from his post and decided author scans aren't good evidence, and refocused his argument on saying it "logically follows" that Mandrakk and CAS were transdual because they existed in the Overvoid. I object to this because a realm you're in having a certain attribute doesn't mean you need to have that attribute. Some examples I gave were Shazam and GL going to the Fifth Dimension without being 5-D, as they were shown to be flat and powerless but still existed there. Metron bringing a human through an 8-D space, and Superman going to the Sixth Dimension. In DC (and fiction in general) you can go to a higher realm without having all the attributes of that realm.

Then he added the part where he says the Overvoid is beyond the Source, the "ultimate concept" which means Mandrakk went beyond the Source and is therefore transdual. However, I don't believe the JLA scan functionally separates the Overvoid and the Source as its from before the Overvoid existed and never mentions the void. I also objected on the basis that Grant made several separate statements where he says the Source and the Overvoid are the same, and the Multiversity Map labels the void both "Overvoid" and "The Source" on the white space, and there's a rough draft version of the map which says "The Source is the white page" showing that Grant's clear intention was that they were identical. He said this contradicted the comic due to the Multiversity map section of the Source Wall reading "beyond lies only Monitor-mind, the Source, and the Unknowable" which he said explicitly describes them as separate beings, so Grant's statements contradict the comics and should be ignored.

I objected to this on the basis that this description could still be used if they were identical, as it is in Christianity for example (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost) and there's no reason to dismiss several statements from Grant and the fact that the white void is labelled as "the Source" as well as "The Overvoid." But he claims that the fact that "The Source" is written on the void is just signifying the fact that the Source is beyond the wall somewhere, not that it's naming the void the way that "Overvoid" being written on the void does. I don't see any reason to treat them differently, and Grant made his intentions clear, so I think this whole thing is pretty much nonsense.

Sorry, I tried to keep it somewhat short.

Can somebody explain the arguments and intended revisions from each side here please, along with your conclusions/agreements so far?
Well it branched off into two discussions. The first being whether Mandrakk and CAS are transdual and the second being about Source and the Overvoid.

1) My argument was the Overvoid as a realm was a transdual state of existence. And that CAS and Mandrakk existed in that state and therefore transdual. Deagonx disagreed off the basis of an author statement which contradicts the material. He also gave examples about higher dimensional beings. However only one of these was from Grant Morrison’s cosmology and it was out of context. As Captain Marvel and Kyle Rayner only accessed the fifth dimension due to magic and didn’t even properly exist there. Making it not a comparable example.

2) We argued about whether the Source and the Overvoid are the same. I argued they weren’t due to Mageddon existing coming from beyond the Source on the outercurve of space time, at the edge of nothing. Something Deagonx stopped replying against.

My second argument was the Source and the Overvoid were listed separately in the Multiversity map. Deagonx tried to counter this with author statements, which contradict them being listed separately. And I further replied telling him that author statements which contradict the material aren’t valid. Deagonx then tried to say it could be seen in manner of consubstantiality, in which there is a godhead beyond the Source and the Overvoid. However he later would conceded to his own interpretation about consubstantiality and then give up replying to my points about how consubstantial entities are still separate and that it is a godhead which they’re all the same as.

So as of right now he has stopped replying against every main point I’ve posted.

Last edited:
Well, I think that Deagonx's last post seems to make sense, especially regarding that characters merely being present in a transdual environment does not automatically scale to them without specific clear statements about this.

My argument was the Overvoid as a realm was a transdual state of existence. And that CAS and Mandrakk existed in that state and therefore transdual. Deagonx disagreed off the basis of an author statement which contradicts the material.
No, I disagreed with the default assumption that existing in the Overvoid makes you transdual in the first place, and the author statement which says otherwise. It does not contradict the material, it contradicts your argument, which is the point of counterevidence.

He also gave examples about higher dimensional beings. However only one of these was from Grant Morrison’s cosmology and it was out of context. As Captain Marvel and Kyle Rayner only accessed the fifth dimension due to magic and didn’t even properly exist there. Making it not a comparable example.
I disagree with the claim that any of those details change the fact that it's a clear counter-example to your claim that it "logically follows" that you must be transdual to reach the Overvoid. The fact remains that they reached the Fifth Dimension without being 5-D. There's no reason to assume Mandrakk and CAS must have been transdual to reach the Overvoid, as I have shown in multiple instances the fact that this is not a logical necessity. This assumption was the entire basis for your claim, but it remains just an assumption, because other possibilities are equally valid.

Something Deagonx stopped replying against.
The fact that I stopped replying is not because I agreed with you, I countered it to my satisfaction. There's nothing connecting the phrase "edge of nothing" to the Overvoid. The scan predates the Overvoid by 10 years, and there is other evidence which shows them as being the same being.

Deagonx tried to say it could be seen in manner of consubstantiality, in which there is a godhead beyond the Source and the Overvoid. However he later would conceded to his own interpretation about consubstantiality
I did not "concede" my interpretation. You repeatedly misunderstood the point of me presenting that interpretation. I was rebutting your default assumption that the wording and grammar suggested separation, by pointing out that it could also be interpreted as consubstantial. You said I didn't have evidence showing it was consubstantial, and I said yes, that's the point, because you also don't have evidence that it's separative. Which means your assertion is opinion only, not fact. The idea that Grant's statements "contradict the material" was based on this opinion, but as shown, it isn't factual, it's subjective.

Well, I think that Deagonx's last post seems to make sense, especially regarding that characters merely being present in a transdual environment does not automatically scale to them without specific clear statements about this.
The argument went in circles a lot because Xearsay did not understand the point of my counterarguments. A big part of his argument is claiming that his conclusions logically followed from the evidence, such as with Mandrakk's transduality from being in the transdual Overvoid, and the wording in the Multiversity Map about the Overvoid and Source.

My goal in presenting counter-examples to this reasoning (such as showing instances where beings went to higher realms without attaining the qualities of those realms) was to show that it doesn't logical follow to be transdual in the Overvoid, because other possibilities exist. His complaints that "Shazam went there with magic and you have no evidence Mandrakk used magic" and etc. are just missing the point. Same with the consubstantiality, he kept saying to me "you have no evidence that the wording is being used like it is in Christianity!" which again, is completely missing the point.

In any argument based on a claim of what "logically follows" from a set of information, demonstrating that any other conclusion is possible (Shazam, the Trinity) rebuts the claim. He didn't seem to grasp this, and kept working from the belief that his assumptions were true by default, and that I needed to prove these possible alternatives were true, but that's fallacious. I only needed to prove they were possible and valid under the circumstances in order to demonstrate that the idea that his claims "logically followed" was invalid.

And since those default assumptions were the sole basis of rejecting Grant's statements (claiming they 'contradicted the material'), without them we no longer have any reason to exclude what he said.

We never seemed to get to the heart of this, as I just kept receiving strawman versions of things I said back to me, and demands for evidence of these logical alternatives, not realizing that he himself had never provided evidence for claims, only arguing that they were logically necessary, and the fact that these alternatives were valid under the circumstances disproves that automatically.

I was more of referring to them properly existing on that level, not just being present. However, can you clarify this some more? What type of specific clear statements would be needed?

Last edited:
I was more of referring to them properly existing on that level, not just being present.
What is the difference and how does one determine that something "properly exists" in a certain space, as compared to simply being present? This is a turn of phrase I had never even heard before until you used it as a basis for rejecting the comparison to Shazam and GL.

A question, would you say being an aspect (like being a part) of a non-existent void gives you NEP?

A question, would you say being an aspect (like being a part) of a non-existent void gives you NEP?
For reference, Ant, he's referring to whether Mandrakk should have "Non-Existent Physiology" due to his connection with the Overvoid. I personally don't think so. The Overvoid could have given him "existent physiology" in order to allow him to interact with the flaw. I don't generally agree with giving abilities due to who someone's creator is rather than based on their specific portrayal and feats.

For reference, Ant, he's referring to whether Mandrakk should have "Non-Existent Physiology" due to his connection with the Overvoid. I personally don't think so. The Overvoid could have given him "existent physiology" in order to allow him to interact with the flaw. I don't generally agree with giving abilities due to who someone's creator is rather than based on their specific portrayal and feats.
Issue is, Mandrakk isn't some random creation of the Overvoid. If he was I would agree with you, but he was directly stated to be a part of the Overvoid. This is similar to my hand and me.

Completely agree with Deagonx. Grant basically stated that the Thought Robot is the good side of every duality while Mandrakk is the bad side of every duality and it's kinda supported by his comics. In Final Crisis: Superman Beyond #2 the Thought Robot stated that "Mandrakk is opposite of life" and "the stronger he becomes, the stronger i become to oppose him".

Grant basically stated that the Thought Robot is the good side of every duality while Mandrakk is the bad side of every duality and it's kinda supported by his comics. In Final Crisis: Superman Beyond #2 the Thought Robot stated that "Mandrakk is opposite of life" and "the stronger he becomes, the stronger i become to oppose him".
That's a good point, the comics themselves paint Mandrakk and CAS as a duality, with Mandrakk being the "ultimate evil" and CAS being the weapon designed to defend against him.

Another thing is even the Ultima Thule spaceship they used to reach Limbo went through the Overvoid.

NyeSbXW.png

I highly doubt the space ship is transdual.

Completely agree with Deagonx. Grant basically stated that the Thought Robot is the good side of every duality while Mandrakk is the bad side of every duality and it's kinda supported by his comics. In Final Crisis: Superman Beyond #2 the Thought Robot stated that "Mandrakk is opposite of life" and "the stronger he becomes, the stronger i become to oppose him".
Grants statements run contradictory to the comics. As in those exact statements he describes the Overvoid as a transdual place where CAS and Mandrakk cannot exist. However this is contradicted by the comics which supports Mandrakk and CAS existing in the Overvoid. So the statement is literally unusable.

Also CAS saying Mandrakk is the opposite of life, is just speaking about how Mandrakk wants to kill everything, as CAS said right before the statement, “I vowed to preserve life.”

Also the Ultima Thule literally alters your level of existence as you travel through the Multiverse. So that’s a terrible example to use.

Grants statements run contradictory to the comics. As in those exact statements he describes the Overvoid as a transdual place where CAS and Mandrakk cannot exist. However this is contradicted by the comics which supports Mandrakk and CAS existing in the Overvoid. So the statement is literally unusable.
Grant doesn't ever state that they cannot exist in the Overvoid. He says they don't exist beyond the ledge of Nil. Given that they are currently on the ledge of Nil, this makes sense. It's not a contradiction at all.

Also CAS saying Mandrakk is the opposite of life, is just speaking about how Mandrakk wants to kill everything, as CAS said right before the statement, “I vowed to preserve life.”
If Mandrakk is the opposite of life, then he is part of a duality.

Also the Ultima Thule literally alters your level of existence as you travel through the Multiverse. So that’s a terrible example to use.
This is a non-sequitur. Are you saying the Ultima Thule is transdual, or can grant others transduality?

I do not think that being created by The Overvoid automatically grants nonexistent physiology, unless it is clearly explained or stated.

It seems like the arguments here have been debunked. Should we close this thread, or is there anything that we can do based on it?

It seems like the arguments here have been debunked. Should we close this thread, or is there anything that we can do based on it?
I do not see it going anywhere. At this point the argument revolves solely around this claim of Transduality, which myself and Lucifer do not accept, and I do not anticipate it being accepted by other staff members as it's based on poor reasoning (the assumption that going to the Overvoid automatically means you're transdual) and was directly contradicted by the author's statement that Mandrakk and CAS are a duality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back