• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooooo.... How bout we scale Iron Man to the meteor, and the power beam to Iron Man? That way, the whole size=power thing the power stone does is done with.

Rather than scale Tony to the meteor for a calc, what if we use the explosion in Guardians Vol 1. The alien wasn't as big as Tony in the suit but it should be at least that.

Also the "dependent on size" thing is being misinterpreted. That doesn't say that the beam is weaker if the target is smaller. It just says that it destroys what it hits. If it hits a person it destroys it. If it hits a planet it destroys it also. That's really simple.

@Matt the power of the mind gem is unknown. Not every gem is shown equal and how does heroes not being 5A doesn't make sense? The movie makes more sense removing the 5A rating

@Matt

Hits Tony, not destroyed. Hits Peter, not destroyed. Hits Drax, not destroyed. Hits Nebula, not destroyed. Hits Thor, not destroyed. Hits Cap, not destroyed. Hits Bucky, not destroyed. Hits Okoye not destroyed.

I think, and I might be completely wrong here, but I think that there is a problem somewhere in your logic Matt.

It didn't destroy them becasue of pis, simply as that.

Also, not every single time the Power Stone is used as his full power or directed to someone.

Newendigo said:
It didn't destroy them becasue of pis, simply as that.
Also, not every single time the Power Stone is used as his full power or directed to someone.
That seems like a slippery slope. If the power canonically varies it just canonically varies.

Matthew Schroeder said:
If some heroes aren't 5-A the movie makes no sense.
The only hero that would really need a 5A rating is Thor. Strange, Wanda, and Iron Man not being 5A doesn't really effect anything. They could be High 6-B and accomplish what they do.

Thanos could have easily killed Hulk and all the other heroes he faced. But his main intention was never to kill them, he just wanted to acquire the stones.

Characters surviving the power stone may be PIS, or it may be that Thanos wasn't putting his all into it. Also, like others said, Power stone reacts differently according to the target.

The way the Power Stone is depicted in Infinity War clearly indicates it has a set power limit, and not something that "bypasses durability" like it may be interpreted in Guardians.

I don't even think GotG implied it could bypass durability, just that you needed to be really tough to handle it. Like Ronan (temporarily) or the Guardians in conjunction with the Half-Celestial Quill.

What indicates that he was using the full power of the stone against Iron Man? Since the power stone's AP changes depending on the size of the target I don't think you can scale Iron Man to the power stone.

It should be weaker then. Since every major AP feat preformed by the Power Stone has been a shockwave rather than a beam.

Just seems more consistent to me for Strange, Iron Man, and Wanda to be High 6-B rather than 5-A. And honestly I'm iffy on High 6-B Wanda

While I agree with Wanda not scaling to the power stone, I'm neutral on Tony and Strange.

After rewatching the movie recently It doesn't seem like there are any anti-feats for Tony's shields and Strange was legitimitey able to block a power stone beam from Thanos and force him to use another stone in addition to the power stone in order to break free of his whips. Though I could agree with Strange's feats being outliers.

The shields blocked the Power Stone, I don't disagree with that. I just don't think the Power Stone's blast was 5-A in that instance since Tony/Strange's magic isn't large enough to generate the feedback.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Strange and Thanos were evenly matched. Iron Man blocked a Power Stone energy wave which Thanos was visibly putting more effort into than any previous attack.
Cool, doesn't change how the power stone works.

Who saying that it bypasses durability? The stone's power depends on the size of the target. Since Strange and Iron Man aren't planet sized they don't scale to the 5A feat.

That's not at all what the quote implies, as I have explained above. Of course hitting a planet will do more damage. There's more stuff to destroy. Doesn't mean that it will not have the same power when it hits something smaller, that's illogical.

Explained above? If you mean the set power thing it just further proves the GotG quote. When the stone targets planetoids it creates a planetary explosion, when it targets human-sized stuff there's a notably smaller effect. The beams Thanos uses on Strange and Iron Man are just unquantifiable. Then just being High 6-B doesn't affect the scaling or the plot.

Same with Wanda.

They aren't unquantifiable, they can be scaled off from the feats the Power Stone has. You are just basing it out of Area of Effect, which will of course be smaller if it is destroying a smaller thing. It still has the power to raze planets and such.

Why? Gamora was explicit that the larger the target the larger the feedback. This isn't a AoE vs AP thing, its a direct correlation between the size of the target and the power of the explosion. The beams are just unquantifiable outside of damaging Iron Man, Strange, and KO'ing the GotG.

Qawsedf234 is correct,Gamora already stated how the power stone works via the source material,it suggest the power that is outputed is based on the size of the target.

No it isn't. You're really overthinking this. It's just the matter that the Power Stone in Guardians is treated as a weapon that can basically destroy anything, from people, to ships, to planets, etc. It has that power. Shoot it at something and it is destroyed.

The fact that the Celestials, who aren't Planet-sized, considered it a powerful weapon above themselves is worth considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back