• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rest in Peace, Akira Toriyama

One of the first memories I can record is watching the climax of the Cell Games with my brother in our aunt's house

Later, Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenkaichi 3 were the fighting games I most played on my PS2

In those recent years I went to the cinema to see Brolly and Super Heroes with my friends and had an great time

The thing is: Even thought I have my fair share of critics on his work I can't deny that Akira Toriyama creations are always present in my life and in the life of countless millions

The manga/anime industry wouldn't be the same without him, hell, I don't think we would even been here talking about powerscaling if wasn't for him

Thank you Akira sensei, you will be missed 🥹

You know, I've always struggled to properly write how I feel about something or what words I wish to say. But Toriyama is a massive exception to this rule, so I will do my best to describe how much Dragon Ball means to me on such a conceptual level.

As a high functioning autistic male, I've always struggled to express and comprehend the emotions which are a part of my existence. I can come off as being perpetually indifferent or apathetic because of the hard time I have showing how I feel like a piece of me that's not there in my heart. But something about Dragon Ball and everything surrounding it helps me comprehend the emotions that I feel. Like whenever the heroes triumphed over insurmountable odds I would cheer with joy, whenever a villain would overwhelm the heroes I would feel fear, whenever someone died I would feel sad and bitter even if they could be resurrected with the Dragon Balls, whenever something funny happened I would laugh, and whenever some big moment or some huge line was shown to me then I would get hyped like it was Christmas morning.

Dragon Ball, among other influences, helped me come to terms with my autism and it helped remind me every chance it could that I do have emotions and I am able to feel...but like Goku? I had to push forward and go further beyond. So to now have to process the information that the wonderful man who helped me grow has left this world has left me with all this ache and numbness inside my heart and mind, and right now the world feels a lot darker without his presence in it to light everyone else's day and to make us feel better whenever we feel down.

So from the bottom of my heart and soul and mind, all I have to say is this: Thank you for everything, Akira Toriyama. Thank you for all the blood, sweat, tears, and will you put in to create a world defining piece of fiction which has transcended the boundaries of paper and ink and has touched the hearts of the millions of souls who were blessed to experience it in the first place. And I pray that you will enjoy paradise after all the hard work you put in to reach it in the first place.

r6koai7s42r41.jpg

God, when this news broke, so did my heart. This amazing man brought so many of my best memories.

Dragon Ball was what got me into anime and powerscaling as a whole; reading the OG series is also what brought me up from a huge slump of depression, so Toriyama’s influence on my life cannot be understated. Without him, I’m not sure I’d be here to type this right now.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you, Akira Toriyama, and wherever you are now, may you rest in peace and tranquility knowing how many people you and your works have touched and inspired!

203e05b948adc91d32109b1d0ac560aa.gif

Well, today already sucks,

From Dragon Quest, Blue Dragon, Dr Slump, and of course Dragon Ball, this mf was single-handedly responsible for shaping many people's interest in anime, manga, and even combat media in general. With his impact spread far past even his own intended vision into inspiring people like Kishimoto, Oda, many other mangaka, and even some book authors to pursue creating highly successful and beloved series of their own.

Toriyama definitely set a standard for battle shounen and even manga in general, along with carefully crafting one of the most recognizable and iconic art styles in the manga/video game industry, and cemented a legacy for himself as a legend in the media industry that won't be forgotten anytime in our lifetimes. I can absolutely say I will never forget Toriyama and his works for as long as I live and know many others feel the same way.

RIP to a GOAT and an OG, you will be deeply missed by many.

Last edited:
aɪ səˈpəʊz aɪl seɪ "Goku ˈsəʊləʊz" wʌns.
Even if the stars should die in heaven,
Our sins can never be undone.
No single death will be forgiven
When fades at last the last lit sun.
Then in the cold and silent black
As light and matter end,
We'll have ourselves a last look back
And toast an absent friend.

RIP Akira Toriyama. Dragon Ball was and still is one of my favorite fandoms/franchises of all time.

This man is the GOAT. I'll always love Dragon Ball, and he will be missed. The way he could tell stories through fight scenes, his comedic writing, and even when he takes stories in more serious directions. One of the best to ever do it, the father of shonen anime will be missed.

How do you write like you’re running out of time?
Write day and night like you’re running out of time?
Every day you fight like you’re running out of time
Like you’re running out of time
Are you running out of time?
Awwww!
How do you write like tomorrow won’t arrive?
How do you write like you need it to survive?
How do you write every second you’re alive?
Every second you’re alive? Evbry second you’re alive?

(Yeah I deeply apologize to the mods and the admins for the sheer insensitivity of my comment which I had posted....it was very stupid of me to do and I realize that was quite cold hearted to do, so I'm sorry that I tried to share that stuff in the first place.)

You know what's funny is that my first introduction to Dragon Ball wasn't from reading the manga or watching the anime or knowing about his prior works or anything like that, but rather it was Budokai Tenkaichi 3 which introduced me to the world of Dragon Ball. I was so young at the time that my child self actually thought that Dodoria was like Frieza's mother or something, which is funny in hindsight, but even my ignorance for the story didn't take away from the fact that I love BT3 and inspired me to get into Dragon Ball as I kept getting older and older. Even if it wasn't from him, playing this game felt like I was playing something that he had a hand in making.

So again, words are not enough to express how much I love this man and even though he's gone his name and legacy are essentially immortalized. And no one truly dies as long as someone remembers them, as people say.

Legit the last thing I wanted to see today, and that too out of the blue.

Words cannot describe the legend this man was, who made so many of our childhoods as exciting as it was, with the crazy transformations, battles and character development.

Rest in power Toriyama-sama. You've earned your place among the hall of legends.

My first experience with dragon ball was a raging blast 2 demo.

Then I found love in Dragon Ball Z Budokai 1 and 3 with the HD collection.

I roleplayed on the park with my friends once I started genuinely watching both the OG DB and DBZ during my free time at home. Acting like dragon ball characters.

On and on, I learned to appreciate more about anime and saw it as a gateway to more of me learning and experiencing new things. Goku was my #1 favorite for a long time. Even now, with what my connection to Dragon Ball has allowed me to feel, and the friends I've made thanks to it as a result—there's that part of me somewhere who still feels like a kid thinking Son Goku was truly the best and toughest there was. I love Dragon Ball.

R.I.P to Akira Toriyama, I do hope he's flying high.

Last edited:
With each passing moment, the pain only increases. After the news, I was devastated, sad. After reading some testimonials from Oda and Kishimoto, I couldn't hold back the tears and cried a lot. Akira has marked my life and that of millions of others; everything I am today has a great influence from Akira Toriyama. Dragon Ball, in particular, marked my childhood, a work very dear to me and which influenced countless other authors to create their respective works.

What can be said about the art of his drawings? Simply amazing! I can say that I am lucky to have been born in the same era when you were active and could follow your work. How can one forget the memorable battles you developed throughout Dragon Ball? The emotional moments, the surprising twists that made you think, "and now, how will Goku and company stop this monster?" And you managed to surprise everyone and find a solution so that in the end, everything turns out well. You may have passed away, but you will exist eternally in my heart. Rest in peace, master.

"It is too early.

The hole is too big. Sadness washes over me when I think that I will never see him again.

I have admired him so much since I was a child, so I remember the day he called me by name for the first time. On the way home from the day you used the word "friend" for me and Kishimoto, I remember being overjoyed with Kishimoto. I also remember the last conversation we had.

I was one of those who took the baton from the days when reading manga made you a fool, and he also created an era when both adults and children could enjoy reading manga. He showed us the dream that manga can go worldwide. It was like watching a hero going forward.

For not only mangakas but also creators in various industries, the excitement and emotion of the time of Dragon Ball serialization must have taken root in their childhood. His existence is like a big tree.

For the manga artists of our generation who stood on the same stage, Toriyama's works became more and more important to me as I got closer to the same stage. I even felt being scary. But I am just happy to see the aloof man himself again. Because we love him on a blood level.

With respect and gratitude for the creative world he has left behind. I pray for his soulful rest in peace.

May heaven be the joyous world he envisioned."

- Eiichiro Oda

Back