• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A major update to Dragon Ball timelines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is 'Dragon Ball GT' canon or not?

Aired from 1996 to 1997, 'Dragon Ball GT' (from Grand Touring) was originally the sequel to 'Z'. However, unlike its predecessor anime, it was a completely original story at the initiative of Toei Animation, which was not based on Akira Toriyama's manga. It is the shortest anime series in the franchise, with only 64 episodes. Its short duration is largely due to the fact that it did not have a good response from the public. Initially, rather than the violent, action-packed combat that defined 'Z', 'GT' tried to recapture the light adventure tone of the original anime when Goku was a kid.

The story begins 10 years after the end of 'Z', when Goku returns to his infant body by a wish made to Black Star's Dragon Balls. However, a side effect is that the planet where the orbs were used is bound to explode within a year. Thus, the boy Goku, his granddaughter Pan and Trunks embark on a journey across the universe to gather the seven spheres before it's too late. However, in the years following its completion and even more so since the release of 'Super', there has been debate over whether 'Dragon Ball GT' is canon within the franchise. The short answer is: it depends who you ask. In 2005, for a DVD anime series box set, Akira Toriyama himself defined 'GT' as a great "alternate history of the original 'Dragon Ball'", questioning their status. However, Toei Animation (the animation studio behind the entire franchise) and Shueisha (the publisher behind the manga) recognized 'GT' as an official part of the canon in the timelines presented at the screenings.

In 1993, Akira Toriyama entrusts Takao Koyama with the new story of the little robot and for the designs he chooses Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru (creator of SS4). That manga is titled "The Return Of Dr. Slump" and is the official continuation of the story that ended in 1984.

https://drslump.fandom.com/wiki/The_Brief_Return_of_Dr._Slump

And now the big reveal begins!!!

As we know, Arale is considered "canonical" within the story in Dragon Ball. That's because Arale appeared in the Dragon Ball manga helping Goku and in the anime dbs

Because in one of the chapters of the sequel to Dr.Slump, Goku makes an appearance, but surprisingly, he's Goku from Dragon Ball GT!

You read that right, Goku from Dragon Ball GT made an appearance in the official sequel to Arale, remembering that Arale shares the same world as Dragon Ball

I propose that the GT line be built into the Dragon Ball cosmology, as a separate timeline, like trunks timeline or something like that, it won't change much, it will just exist in the same shared multiverse, as a separate line, like Future Trunks, and that's all.

Edit, edit: according to this site Akira toriyama made a contribution to GT, every interview here
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5411

Agree:
@godofice ,@Quasar002 ,@LordGriffin1000,@MrHazama, @Nullflower, @DarkDragonMedeus, @Reiner, @TheGreatBanana, @The_2nd_Existential_Seed, @Lord_Farquaad69420, @Stefano4444,@omegabronic, @Aacthintya31 , @Vladimir,@BestMGQScalerEver, @Da3ggman, @Lonkitt ,@Damage3245,@Georredannea15,@1st_Virtue_of_Pure_Void

Disagree:

Neutral: @Chariot190

Last edited:
Is 'Dragon Ball GT' canon or not?

Aired from 1996 to 1997, 'Dragon Ball GT' (from Grand Touring) was originally the sequel to 'Z'. However, unlike its predecessor anime, it was a completely original story at the initiative of Toei Animation, which was not based on Akira Toriyama's manga. It is the shortest anime series in the franchise, with only 64 episodes. Its short duration is largely due to the fact that it did not have a good response from the public. Initially, rather than the violent, action-packed combat that defined 'Z', 'GT' tried to recapture the light adventure tone of the original anime when Goku was a kid.

The story begins 10 years after the end of 'Z', when Goku returns to his infant body by a wish made to Black Star's Dragon Balls. However, a side effect is that the planet where the orbs were used is bound to explode within a year. Thus, the boy Goku, his granddaughter Pan and Trunks embark on a journey across the universe to gather the seven spheres before it's too late. However, in the years following its completion and even more so since the release of 'Super', there has been debate over whether 'Dragon Ball GT' is canon within the franchise. The short answer is: it depends who you ask. In 2005, for a DVD anime series box set, Akira Toriyama himself defined 'GT' as a great "alternate history of the original 'Dragon Ball'", questioning their status. However, Toei Animation (the animation studio behind the entire franchise) and Shueisha (the publisher behind the manga) recognized 'GT' as an official part of the canon in the timelines presented at the screenings.

I propose that the GT line be built into the Dragon Ball cosmology, as a separate timeline, like trunks timeline or something like that, it won't change much, it will just exist in the same shared multiverse, as a separate line, like Future Trunks, and that's all.
I agree. Toei makes this quite clear.

Dr. Slump and the original series exist in one timeline. GT co-exists with Dr. Slump. Therefore, GT co-exists with the original series.
I don't have an issue with this, it's would be it's own timeline so it's not hit with any problems that I know of. I'll see what others think but as of now, I'm fine with it.
Do you agree with that? I don't want something complicated, just simple so as not to generate more than 2 pages seems to make sense.

Technically they're both canon to the extended multiverse of Dragon Ball with the GT continuity just being one of many of those "Alternate timelines". Of course we should still avoid making use of any cross scaling outside of both versions being usable for Dragon Ball Heroes scaling.

Technically they're both canon to the extended multiverse of Dragon Ball with the GT continuity just being one of many of those "Alternate timelines". Of course we should still avoid making use of any cross scaling outside of both versions being usable for Dragon Ball Heroes scaling.
Well I agree with that, I also don't like to put DBH in the middle, so do you agree, bro?

Yeah just similar cosmologies between the 2 I think

I.. am unsure. Surprisingly enough, cause I want it to be the case, but it seems to be a simple gag about author's previous creation.
I mean, we wouldn't fuse Boruto and Samurai 8 if... Actually, we probably would have, haha.
Is there a translation of the page?

I.. am unsure. Surprisingly enough, cause I want it to be the case, but it seems to be a simple gag about author's previous creation.
I mean, we wouldn't fuse Boruto and Samurai 8 if... Actually, we probably would have, haha.
Is there a translation of the page?
We will not merge, GT will be a separate line, like trunks.

that is impossible, since DBS make it clear that each timeline have the same cosmology structure
This may be possible, but being a timeline having only one universe, before there were 18 Universes and 6 of them were erased, it may be that there are 18 Universes in another timeline, and it may be that there is no Universe in another line of time, there is only a void, as Zeno'oh left in the future of trunks.

Well there are two options
1- they share the same cosmolgy as Gt.
2- each have thier own cosmology.
It's up to y'all to decide on which one will be.
DBGT for the super doesn't change practically anything in the cosmology, only some Universes are missing, that's if we assume that they didn't have the capacity to leave Universe 7, that's why the lack of knowledge about the Universes, even Goku and company don't I knew that there were other Universes in the super, I believe it is possible, the only difference is that there is a dimension between the afterlife and the Universe in the GT that does not exist in the super.

Really not being subtle with this stealthy attempt to upgrade canon súper to 2-C riding off GT recent upgrades.

Simply put, even if they’re alternate dimensions nothing suggests cosmology is the same, no timeline within super represented by the time rings contains GT in it and no timeline shown in GT has súper in it so they’re not even branching off one another at any point in time.

they can be part of the same overarching timeline such as heroes in a one way crossover but that doesn’t change the fact there is nothing that suggests their inner cosmology to be the same specially when súper just got downgraded and can’t use the globe for a reliable portrayal of its universal structure, whereas toei verse has a scene showing explicitly otherwise.

Really not being subtle with this stealthy attempt to upgrade canon súper to 2-C riding off GT recent upgrades.

Simply put, even if they’re alternate dimensions nothing suggests cosmology is the same, no timeline within super represented by the time rings contains GT in it and no timeline shown in GT has súper in it so they’re not even branching off one another at any point in time.

they can be part of the same overarching timeline such as heroes in a one way crossover but that doesn’t change the fact there is nothing that suggests their inner cosmology to be the same specially when súper just got downgraded and can’t use the globe for a reliable portrayal of its universal structure, whereas toei verse has a scene showing explicitly otherwise.
Proof there’s no time ring with GT in it? There’s countless time rings and timelines and it’s stated that GT is just an alternate timeline within the canon which is consistent with the fact there’s countless timelines

Also the “globe” is still useable just not for calcs

Hey bro, no one is trying to update Dragon Ball Super Universes to 2-C, I'm proposing that GT is part of canon but it's a separate timeline like trunks, don't get me wrong! We are not updating the Universes to 2-C according to GT, we are just putting the timeline as if it were part of the cosmology as a timeline.

Proof there’s no time ring with GT in it? There’s countless time rings and timelines and it’s stated that GT is just an alternate timeline within the canon which is consistent with the fact there’s countless timelines

But still doesn't mean that U7 is equal to GT

Burden of proof is one the one trying to make the upgrade, there are not even enough time rings within canon super to accomodate all of Trunks and Cells time traveling shenanigans in canon manga , there aren’t countless time rings either, that’s just speculation passed off as fact.

There can be countless timelines, but they sure as hell aren’t branching off one another or interconected in a way to assume equal universal structures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back