• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rest in Peace, Akira Toriyama

CurrySenpai

She/Her
FC/OC VS Battles
Content Moderator
I’ll cut to the chase, about 12 minutes ago it was revealed that Akira Toriyama, author of Dragon Ball, Doctor Slump, and other series has sadly passed away at 68. I don’t know if this is allowed to be posted, but considering his impact on media in general and to a lesser extent, powerscaling, I felt as if this would be okay.

May he rest in peace and his legacy live on for many years to come.

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san. The series you and others have worked on together have brought joy to millions of people around the world.

Thank you for bringing us Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump.
B6A5FF491843CC279E31508D089C264887445363

The rule basically says it's a General Discussion rather than a News and Announcement. But... Akira Toriyama being the author of what's basically the most popular verse on the entire platform and personally I feel this should be an exception. Though if other staff insist, it may be moved.

But this is absolutely devastating news. Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and even Dragon Ball GT were all such big parts of my childhood and sure a lot of people feel the same way. And I still continued to love Dragon Ball Super despite some wonkiness in the writing, but loved the characters, animation, and fight scenes. I'm sure the franchise will continue to grow in his honor given the people who worked and continued what he started. Of course, we no longer have any future plot outlines from him aside from what was already written down, but I do hope to see if there are story moments that tribute to him. Whether it be Anime episodes or Manga chapters. And aside from Dragon Ball, he literally is one of the best character design artists of all time; his work for Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger speak huge volumes. Hard to see how those may turn out without him designing the characters too.

But anyway, you will be missed Akira Toriyama. You will forever be known as a legendary creator. And I hope all of your fans respect the wishes of you and your family regarding your legacy.

Dragon Ball was one of the first anime I saw as a child, which I finished on a 360p quality website.

It was also one of the games I liked most on the PS2, Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

I even have GT stickers in my room that I put up when I was a kid and I hadn't even seen the GT yet.

Gratitude to Akira Toriyama for this manga. This anime, this franchise, is my childhood and which I continue to follow and enjoy to this day.

May he rest in peace.

Damn...that's rough. Like sad even...

Regardless of what anyone may feel or think of Dragon Ball now, it can't be denied that this man made EVERYONE's childhood growing up when they come home afterschool or even watch on the weekends (forgot how broadcasting stuff worked back then).

Even so, the guy's work has made quite the impact itself over the years since its inception(?) of its manga debut to now. And although this may seem a bit off-putting, it's also something where he passed away on what is the "Year of the Dragon" for Chinese Zodiac and stuff...but that aside---

Long story short, you had a hell of a run Akira Toriyama-San. May you have a restful journey in the other side.

🫡

These are horrible horrible news. I am very sad to hear this. And what makes this especially sad is that he was just about to finish his main lifework the Dragon Ball manga through the Black Frieza arc.

Rest In Peace Akira Toriyama sensei. You were a kind and great person who brought joy to likely hundreds of millions of children and adults through your work. I wish for a great life in your next rebirth, and that you will eventually reach Enlightenment. You died far too soon in this life. 😥😔🙇‍♂️🙏🌹

Goodbye - Son Goku.jpg

Last edited:
These are horrible horrible news. I am very sad to hear this. And what makes this especially sad is that he was just about to finish his main lifework the Dragon Ball manga through the Black Frieza arc.

Rest In Peace Akira Toriyama sensei. You were a kind and great person who brought joy to a lot of children and adults through your work. I wish for a great life in your next rebirth, and that you will eventually reach Enlightenment. You died far too soon in this life. 😥😔🙇‍♂️🙏🌹

View attachment 713
Hearing this genially makes he sad. I hardly ever get emotional over things, but this series holds a deep place in me as the first anime I watched. I hope you, and everyone else here stays happy and healthy and lives the best possible lives. Along with Oda, Murata, and other Mangaka who work blood and sweat to create enjoyable series that grow with us.

I remember going to my local library & reading DB, DBZ, Dr. Slump....
Heck, the way I first learned the general DBZ plot, many years after it had aired, was through the Dragon Ball Z Sagas video game.

Nowadays, I'd like to think I know Dragon Ball & Akira far better than I did before, but now I can hardly learn of him no more.

With Daima approaching, I wonder how this will influence it....
I'm worried because in the past, because when a big IP holder perishes in the past, sometimes it has big ramifications.

I wish Akira Toriyama could've been in this world longer, but now I'll hope he can enjoy a peaceful rest. He lived a good life.

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama. You were a great man, were & are loved, & I'm sure you will not be forgotten.

Last edited:
Akira Toriyama has touched the lives of millions of people around the world, myself included. Whether it was his most famous work Dragon Ball, something else he wrote, something he designed for, or even something he influenced, he's been present in many lives and will continue to do so. The fact of the matter is: fictional media would not be what it is today if not for him.

Personally, my first experience with Dragon Ball was starting up Dragon Ball Z around middle school. It was my first-ever anime experience, and it opened the gates to an entire world of media for me to explore. For that, I am eternally grateful.

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama. May your works and the works you've influenced continue to touch and inspire generations to come. 🕊️

For the longest time, I was never really a Manga guy, or even much for Power scaling. Sure, I dabbled in it a bit, but I never really cared much for a long time. Likewise, Manga and Anime were kinda just "eh" to me. A close friend of mine, on the other hand, loved Manga, and after a bit of interest and a bit of pressure from them, I tried it out.

The first ever Manga I read was Dragon Ball Z. Read every single Volume straight from my School's Library. He introduced me to the Wonder's of Manga, and by extension, the Wonder's of Anime. And he inspired me to get into Powerscaling. I likely wouldn't even be here in this community if I didn't pick up that first Volume, and I imagine that for many people, both avid fans of DBZ and also Fan's who focus on other verses, might be in a similar boat.
That man affected so many lives and revolutionized Manga with his work put into the Genre. From Dr. Slump all the way back to Dragon Ball, he put in the work. Heck, he even made art for series like Dragon Quest. He has made some of the most iconic things in all of Manga and Anime- Iconic Character's in Goku, Vegeta, Freiza, Piccolo, Trunks, Cell, and so many others, Iconic Form's like Super Saiyan, and it's 2nd and 3rd Variants, and one way or another being responsible in some degree for basically all the other DB forms like God, Blue, UI, Beast, etc, and some of the most iconic Technique's, the Final Flash, The Spirit Bomb, and of course, The Kamehameha.

He has been responsible for so much. The good, the bad, the ugly, the obscure, the memes, the fan content, the games, the movies, the adaptation's, anything Dragon Ball Related- In a way, just by making that simple scene of that Blue Haired girl meeting the Monkey Boy, Akira Toriyama has caused all of this and more, and indirectly touched the heart of each and every person who care's for any aspect of this series- And even other series too, even if DB stands tall above others popularity wise. Toriyama's Legacy is nothing short of Legendary, truly. Call it a Parasocial relationship, but it's undeniable just how many people loved him and the work he made.

Word's cannot express how sheerly heartbreaking this is. This man was a genuine Hero among Author's. He arguably has straight up changed the world- He's affected a vast number of people at least, with all of the effort he put into his work. Even after he had passed the work to other's, he still put in the work to make new character's- Creating such Design's as Shallot, Super Broly, Android 21, and multiple other's. He always had a hand in Dragon Ball, and always worked so the series could grow.

I'm not one of those guy's who say's "Dragon Ball Should have ended at X point", and it's genuinely sad that he hadn't had the chance to finish things fully. But a part of me likes to look back at DBZ. I want to go back, and say to Toriyama, "You made a damn fine story". In it's own bittersweet way, it, along with other works, have been finished, and that's something to be proud of for him. He's already done so much, and while I bet he had a bit left in his tank by the time he left us, he's earned the right to rest a bit, as sad as it is.

Thank you, Akira Toriyama. You have filled so many Hearts with Joy and Love, through your interesting Character's, Intense Fight Scene's, sometimes Bizzare Storytelling, The Drama and The Jokes, and so much more. You were, and will remain, a Icon, and word's cannot express the Gratitude and Respect myself, and A uncountable number of people, feel to you. Rest easy, you will be remembered and respected, and I'm sure your legacy will carry on for a long, long time.

If possible, when the time comes, we'll see ya in the Next Life, Toriyama-Sensei! You taught us so much and gave us so many wonderful things!

719o1ynxspm21.jpg

Back