• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
For the love of God people really accept anything, huh?

First off, being a Divine Spirit means absolutely nothing. Like, absolutely nothing. A Divine Spirit is defined as being merely a ghost who is worshipped by humans. And they are, in fact, explicitly stated to have nothing to do with the Eight Million Gods, which are the actual deities who existed before all things and stuff. So Junko being a Divine Spirit, if anything, contradicts the very idea being proposed here. Though at the very least, her being a Divine Spirit doesn't help the point at all.
This is blatantly incorrect. Divine spirits are incredibly broad in nature, and by ZUN's own admission, Junko is a very specific form of divine spirit, one who's kinda far removed from other divine spirits. We cannot use PMiSS when it's clearly talking about a different kind of divine spirit. But more importantly, treating divine spirits and the Eight Million as wholly separate entities is blatantly wrong.

A pretty clear example of this is how Reimu describes divine spirits as the essence of the gods, and are merely one aspect of themselves that can be divided infinitely; They are not members of the Eight Million by themselves, but they are a crucial part of a god's existence, like how eggs are a crucial part of a cake but eggs by themselves are not a cake (shit analogy but you get the idea).

Another example is how Kanako compares vengeful spirits and divine spirits, and then refers to how divine spirits are easily taken over as a result... while including Suwako in that same statement (mentioned again in TD, where she is described as "having the same nature as" divine spirits), despite Suwako being a part of the Eight Million, additionally shown by how she can split her divine spirit into a branch shrine much like how Reimu explains above. Speaking of which, Reimu also explains that AGAIN in SSiB, explaining that all gods can split their divine spirits infinitely, but more importantly, that gods are divine spirits (mostly divine spirits, anyways).

A slightly more complicated example lies in the Ara and Nigi of divine spirits. Long story short, these are two alternate personalities that divine spirits can manifest. Note the emphasis on divine spirits. Except, for something supposedly unique to divine spirits, it applies to members of the Eight Million as well; The example Rinnosuke uses is that of Konohana-no-Sakuyahime, who is a member of the Eight Million.

When we have people who specialize in the gods and gods themselves confirming that divine spirits can exist as a part of the Eight Million, I think you have to just concede the point here. Maybe don't use sources that are contradicted like a dozen times? Just a suggestion.

Oh, and one more thing? Junko being nameless and a divine spirit contradicts nothing. Nameless things are, by default, divine spirits.

-Gods, per our own profiles, are Omnipresent (Junko is clearly a being who exists in one location, and needs to be aimed at to be damaged by the player. She has a defined human shape which the characters only notice when they look at where she is. Junko is not omnipresent)
That's not how omnipresence works, at all. Especially not on this site, where many characters have omnipresence but still have single, identifiable forms that can be attacked normally even in their keys with omnipresence (YHVH, to give an example).

-Gods in their true form are explicitly stated to be unable to be interacted or conversed with (Even people with no business being capable of interacting with gods, like Marisa, clearly saw and interacted with Junko with absolutely no issue)
NPI is a thing that exists and has always existed. Should we deny phantoms incorporeality as well, since characters physically interact with them too? Or ghosts? Poltergeists? Hell, why stop there? Every feat of NPI is just an anti-feat for incorporeality, might as well nuke the damn power entirely. Also, why does the cast have "no business" interacting with gods? Literally all of them have physically interacted with divine spirits at some point, nonexistent entities like Koishi, abstract entities like Parsee, or whatever other manner of incorporeal beings exist in Gensokyo. It is entirely their business.

Like, I don't think Akyuu was referring to the 5 or so specific people who can interact with Junko in that paragraph. More likely it was directed at the hundreds f humans and youkai who would've read the Gensokyo Chronicle.

oh yeah and reimu can literally talk to and see gods, something that anybody who actually reads this series instead of just coping about it in vs debates could tell you. im tired man.

-Beings with no names, stuff the closest to primordial gods, are noted to 'blend' among their surroundings, gaining the attributes of whatever they were around (Clearly not the case with Junko, who has a single, defined physical form which does not shift in appearance or anything)
That's a huge misinterpretation of what that means. A name is a concept; The "blending together" and primordial chaos are all conceptual in nature. Also have no ******* clue where the "gaining the attributes of the whatever they were around" bit came from.

-If you argue that the characters have enough NPI and extrasensory to see and interact with a primordial god, then they would constantly interact with the omnipresent gods (They clearly do not. They do not see anime girls everywhere that only they can see)
That's because these gods exist within other things. They aren't just out and about floating freely; Most of them exist "within" physical objects, people, and so on. The reason you can't see them is because seeing invisible things doesn't grant you the power to see through objects, so gods existing within physical objects (ie; ******* all of them) wouldn't be seen. They wouldn't be touched, either, for the same reasons; Can't touch a god inside a tree if you can't phase through the tree.

If you wanna bring up omnipresence as a debunk then PLEASE bother learning how their omnipresence even works lol

Also, again, not how omnipresence works. I don't think any character who has successfully interacted with an omnipresent being has ever shown that "bumping into omnipresent entities constantly" thing.

There is also no proof regarding Junko not having avatars. You have literally provided nothing. Unlike what you claim, Junko does have a name. It's... Junko. Junko is a name. It exists in-universe, as Junko introduces herself with it. You cannot claim "she has no name" when she blatantly gives us one. Junko's true self having held onto a pure aspect doesn't mean she is unable to get any names whatsoever. The fact that she factually has a name, that she has a solid physical shape, that she has other aspects to her being that raw hatred, and that giving this level of NPI to the protags would contradict established lore and be utterly nonsensical if given any thought, all point towards her having an avatar like any other god. You have failed to provide actual proofs of the opposite.
Jesus Christ you cannot be serious. A "name" in Touhou is not so ******* simple. As explained by Rinnosuke, there are two kinds of names; Those describing an object, and those that define an object. The latter name is the kind that gods gave to everything in reality, defining everything as a singular "thing" and determining its characteristics. The former is just to describe the characteristics determined by the latter, such as color, size, etc. Junko's name is literally "pure fox", detailing how she's purified herself, and her aura resembles fox tails; This "name" does not determine what her characteristics are, but rather describes what they are.

So Junko has a title; A word that doesn't really define anything about her. But what about a name as a concept? We can pretty ******* clearly see that Junko lacks that, as WoG straight up confirms it. Another example is how embodying a divine spirit (which is what Junko is) requires lacking a name. Not much to say here, pretty clear cut. Finally, if you wanna use titles? That's fine, because Junko's title, while blank in the game, is elaborated on in the omake.txt to mean Existence Without Name. WOW I WONDER WHAT THAT'S REFERRING TO, GUESS WE'LL NEVER KNOW

Oh, and tell me, are Izanagi Objects lacking names no longer a thing? Because that's pretty clearly what's described, even though they're called Izanagi Objects. Just step back and think how little ******* sense this makes with what reliable sources have repeated numerous times.

TL;DR: Yes Junko lacks a name (concept), even if she has a name (title). Touhou makes very clear distinctions between the two. Even if it didn't, the textual evidence in favor of Junko lacking a name far outweighs her going "hi my name is Junko" one ******* time.

Don't make me waste my ******* time on this shit again. Staying up until 4 in the morning to explain shit that should've been apparent years ago when I have more important shit to do makes me wanna blow my ******* brains out. I have life to attend to, shockingly. Hopefully other supporters can take my place while I'm doing literally anything but this.

TL;DR: This is a vast oversimplification of concepts explained numerous times throughout the series. As usual, Saikou, you would rather trust a lone statement that has been upheld as truth for years without question, rather than admit that the dozens of scans to the contrary may actually have a point.

Here's a short TL;DR of what the arguments should be for anyone not wanting to wade through several walls of text:

-Everything at the beginning of reality lacked names, including gods. The nameless forms of these gods are referred to as "primordial gods" on this site.
-By giving themselves names, gods were able to inhabit physical bodies and roam the world normally. This is considered avatar creation, and they have a key for this avatar.
-Junko is a character who has no name, as confirmed on multiple occasions. Since a name is what gives a god an avatar, Junko should have no avatar key, and only a primordial god key.
-Junko says she has a name, but there are two kinds of names in Touhou; Those that define characteristics, and those that describe characteristics. Junko has the latter, not the former, so no contradictions are present.

The rest of Saikou's arguments essentially boil down to either misunderstanding Touhou's own lore, or the abilities we have on this site (or both).

Bump

Anyways, I forgot to include this before, but the LoLK protags being able to see Junko is consistent with how 3/4 of them can see and fight evenly with Koishi, who would also be invisible and unable to be interacted with normally. Also, even if they couldn't necessarily "see" her, that wouldn't prevent them from being able to keep track of Junko through ESP (something Marisa showcases in the fight itself, where she picks up on the energy Junko is emanating). This shit is consistent, even if you'd prefer to deny it.

One (hopefully final thing). There are two things questions we can use to just... shut this argument down entirely. 1. Did Junko purify herself? and 2. Does Junko's purification remove something's name? If both of the answers to those questions are yes, then there is literally no argument to be had here.

So... at what scale would these gods be now if there is going to be a modification?

:
The tiering of the gods isn't changing here. That would likely require an update to the cosmology as a whole.

As for Junko herself, I'm unsure. She's treated as a threat by high tier characters, but her status as a nameless god means she's likely much weaker due to lacking faith. I would need to go look for her AP justification scans to see how well they hold up.

Back