• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Object Class: Hakurei [Reimu Additions]

Status
Not open for further replies.
HrEJcKr.jpg

Source

So, why am I doing this now? Simply put, I think these additions are too major for the profile rewrites (they ARE mostly just rewrites, after all) and general ability addition threads I have planned, but at the same time, I think they're too small for their own dedicated thread. I'm just doing these now so I don't have to worry about where to put them later.

Accelerated Development & Reactive Evolution (and some other shit)

The reason why I chose this thread title. For starters, Reimu's AD has a canon title in the form of Heaven-granted genius, which states that she can master martial arts and black magic alike with zero training or knowledge. In that same vein, she is stated to possess both infinite potential and limitless innate talent. Since PC-98 is now canon, I can also add how Reimu initially lacked the ability to fly, but became able to do so later on (again, with zero training). Similarly, Reimu in the early Windows era is characterized as being night blind, but by the time of Subterranean Animism, she's not only able to see in dark places easily, but is also immune to night blindness in general. Finally, when fighting Mima in SoEW, Reimu's base self is considered comically weak in comparison, but by beating the game without continuing, she's shown to have grown to the point where Mima is outright afraid of her strength, meaning her AD extends to physical statistics as well.

This is where the fun begins. As shown in Lotus Eaters, Reimu is pretty easily affected by Miyoi's ability to create illusions that paralyze one's body with fear, as well as her ability to erase memories. For her illusions, the very next time Reimu is the target of one, she's able to immediately break out of a drunken and half-asleep state (this would also be resistance to status effect inducement, btw) and realize that she's fighting an illusion. For her memory manipulation, it's important to note that Reimu is immediately affected by it; Once Miyoi is out of Reimu's line of sight, Reimu instantly forgets she ever existed. In their next encounter, Reimu remembers Miyoi's appearance, as well as bits and pieces of their conversation. In the next encounter, Reimu immediately recognizes Miyoi and is able to fully remember the conversation they had the previous night. And two chapters later, Reimu is fully aware of Miyoi's powers and notes how she's currently the only one in Gensokyo unaffected by them. However, this sort of adaptation is a lot faster than these scenes give it credit for; In Gensokyo Geography, it's stated that Reimu is only affected by Sakuya's time stop in the event of her loss. In other words, Reimu gained a resistance to Sakuya's time stop simply by fighting her and winning. The best example of this sort of mid-combat adaptation is from AoCF, where Reimu states that she'd get swallowed up by, and subsequently affected by, Shion's full power negative aura. However, literally seconds later, she holds her own perfectly fine - this remains true when Shion's barrier breaks and all the auras she's been retaining start flowing out. Reimu proceeds to not only continue fighting unaffected (and eventually win despite the instant loss effects of Shion's aura), but she also states that her power is "flowing like the endless tide" because of Shion's aura. In short, Reimu goes from being affected by the aura, to resisting it, to resisting an enhanced version while also using it to greatly amplify herself within a few seconds.

In case the last example seems sus, because nothing actually says it's the same as Shion's negative aura, consider the following: We know Shion refers to this "glaring" aura as the auras she had been retaining, and her omake.txt clearly notes how she only retains misfortune. We can also see that this aura is visually identical to the negative auras shown in previous spell cards (taking the form of various kanji describing disaster and misfortune). So it should be identical to her regular aura, just greatly amplified.

TL;DR: Reimu gets AD (statistics), Reactive Evolution, Empowerment, and Resistance to Memory Manipulation, Status Effect Inducement, Illusion Creation, Fear Manipulation, and Paralysis Inducement. She also gets additional justifications for Power Modification, Accelerated Development, Enhanced Senses, and Resistance to Time Stop. The new justifications will be as follows:
Garou and 682 pissing and shitting themselves rn

Passive 4D Power Nullification

So we already know that Reimu shattered the barrier between the Netherworld and Gensokyo. This is described as her causing it to vanish with just a touch. However, in Reimu's own route, we're given a slightly different explanation; When Youmu confronts Reimu about breaking the barrier, Reimu claims that there never was a barrier, and that Yomu is at fault for not having a barrier in the first place. So from Reimu's perspective, the barrier just... never existed. We know she's the one who nullified it so it seems clear to me that she did so without even being consciously aware of it. Now we do visually see what the barrier looks like - it's a giant magical barrier - so it's not like Reimu just plowed through without seeing it. More likely, it was nullified before she even could see it - given most of PCB takes place above the clouds, we can use the max range of a human's eyesight on a clear day to get an estimate on how much range Reimu's power null has (5 kilometers, rip to Touhou matches under SBA).

That was a lot, so thankfully this next part is slightly more simple. We know Otherworlds like the Netherworld are different space-times. We know that Gensokyo and the Netherworld were different worlds prior to the barrier being broken, making it easy to come and go between the two. Therefore, the barrier separating them is a barrier separating space-times, and therefore 4D.

On a smaller note, I've erroneously listed Reimu turning a bunch of tsukumoagmi back into objects as transmutation; Given a scene later in FS shows that her ofuda can completely prevent supernatural transformations from taking place, I think it's more likely that she can just nullify transformations. She still has transmutation from 17.5 game mechanics, but the justifications need to be reworked a bit. Speaking of which:
Addendum - So it turns out I forgot about Yukari's power nullification resistance, which stems from how the Hakurei Barrier, which she created, isn't nullified by the passive power nullification effect of the Hakurei Shrine. Reimu also notes that the Boundary of Life and Death was far weaker than the Hakurei Barrier, so the latter must be much harder to destroy comparatively, as shown by how Reimu isn't Biden Blasting it 24/7 despite literally living right next to the damn thing. So, Yukari's power null resistance would also be 4D should this pass.

Conclusion: Reimu is too strong for her own good, pls nerf

Last edited:
Ah. The best kind of threads. The ones that never end.

AD is overall fine, bit iffy on the Mima example. But there's like... a lot of examples, so being iffy on Mima isn't really enough to keep me from agreeing.

Everything else seems fine. Passive 4D powernull is something I'd never even spot. (Well, not the passive portion anyway). So, good catch.

Ah. The best kind of threads. The ones that never end.

AD is overall fine, bit iffy on the Mima example. But there's like... a lot of examples, so being iffy on Mima isn't really enough to keep me from agreeing.

Everything else seems fine. Passive 4D powernull is something I'd never even spot. (Well, not the passive portion anyway). So, good catch.
I think I might've just explained the Mima section poorly. The way SoEW works is that, if you continue, Mima and Genji make note of how weak you are and you get a bad ending. If you beat the game without using a continue, you get a good ending where Mima is in awe of your power. There's a clear gap in strength between the two endings, so I think the premise of "Reimu gets stronger when winning battles without using a continue" is fine.

Accelerated Development & Reactive Evolution (Passive, Abilities, Statistics; Despite being incapable of gaining any lasting benefits from training[15], Reimu is said to possess Heaven-granted genius that allows her to master skills like martial arts or black magic, even with a complete lack of knowledge[16], and is stated to possess limitless innate talent and infinite potential[17][18]. Reimu has consistently improved herself in several ways over the years, such as initially requiring time-consuming rituals to summon gods[19] before being able to summon them with just a thought[20], needing to rely on her turtle, Genji, in order to fly[21], before learning how to do so on her own, or being affected by the sleep-inducing effects of dream souls[22] before later taking hits from them without issue[23]. Despite Fantasy Nature being the only spell card using a technique she knows from birth, she has gained dozens of other powers and spell cards over the years[24]. Gradually grew to resist Miyoi's ability to[25] erase[26] memories[27] and create illusions[28] that leave their victims paralyzed with fear[29] despite being initially affected[30], becoming the only one in Gensokyo to resist these techniques. Gained the ability to see in dark locations and become unaffected by night blindness[31] despite not being able to do so before[32][33]. Despite fearing her being affected by Shion's full power aura, she adapted to resist it within a matter of seconds, and additionally kept up with her even after she began releasing more auras to the point of even drawing near-limitless strength from said aura[34]. Initially considered far too weak to face Mima, but could grow to surpass her in power in a short period of time[35]. Could adapt to Sakuya Izayoi's time manipulation over the course of their initial fight, with Reimu being completely unaffected in the case of her victory[36]
I agree with this being AD and RE but why is it passive??

Both Reimu & Marisa were able to percieve Sakuya's attacks and movement while time was stopped in EoSD, might be notable to add if there's nothing to suggest the contrary/conflicting scans. This could potentially apply to EoSD Remilia as well with statements of being stronger than Sakuya.

The moving in a restricted Eintei's spacetime feat would also apply to the cast of Imperishable Night. (Alice, Marisa, Yukari, Remilia, Sakuya (this goes without saying, I guess. But it's still a feat), Youmu, Yuyuko, Tewi, Reisen, Eiren, and Kaguya) Thoughts?

Also very nice work organizing these feats and their sources. I agree with these additions for 4D passive nullhax Reimu.

Last edited:
Both Reimu & Marisa were able to percieve Sakuya's attacks and movement while time was stopped in EoSD, might be notable to add if there's nothing to suggest the contrary/conflicting scans. This could potentially apply to EoSD Remilia as well with statements of being stronger than Sakuya.
Eh.... I think that's moreso game mechanics, rather than an indication they can see in stopped time. Reimu at least has a statement saying she was unaffected.

The moving in a restricted Eintei's spacetime feat would also apply to the cast of Imperishable Night. (Alice, Marisa, Yukari, Remilia, Sakuya (this goes without saying, I guess. But it's still a feat), Youmu, Yuyuko, Tewi, Reisen, Eiren, and Kaguya) Thoughts?
These characters should already have resistance to time stop for these reasons, except for Kaguya, given that she's the one who cast the spell of eternity over Eientei to begin with.

Eh.... I think that's moreso game mechanics, rather than an indication they can see in stopped time. Reimu at least has a statement saying she was unaffected.

These characters should already have resistance to time stop for these reasons, except for Kaguya, given that she's the one who cast the spell of eternity over Eientei to begin with.
Yep yep, makes sense

Do they give anything notable? I haven't checked the gameplay footage yet.
She is the final stage boss of [Spoiler character]'s route, and actually has some exclusive things. I'll timestamp these accordingly with a translation patch.

Spell Card 1: [ Spirit Sign "Trampling Yin-yang Orbs" ] She launches purple Yin-yang orbs in a swirling pattern which descend and bounce.

Spell Card 2: [ Rampant Sign "Yin-yang Orbs" ] She throws numerous blue yin-yang orbs at her opponent, which descend in clusters relatively slowly, bounce, and are fired much more in succession between complete shots.

Spell Card 3: [ "All The Stored Up Yin-yang Orbs" ] This is pretty much an incredibly buffed version of her first non-spell from Imperishable Night, made into a Spell Card. It's nice to see it again after, what, 20 years? Anyways, in this Spell card, she fans out red yin-yang orbs in clusters-- which also bounce off the screen and provide veeeery little room to dodge. Note that shes able to do this with just a few waves her Gohei and... they appear. Yeah. A very dense orbing here.

Insert Reimu's stored balls joke here.

Final Spell Card: [ "No Mercy In Excorcizing Demonic Beasts" ] Really fast and cluster-y Ofuda shots that are fanned-out in Clownpiece fashion. In context to the story, and as the name implies, that they excorsize Oni, Demons, and Beasts. Although there's no other scans that I could find that explicitly say this beyond spellcard's name, so at face value this has nothing backing it beyond what is already specified on her profile for her Ofuda. Also her strongest spellcard in the game.

Also another thing from 18.5 in the 4th Market Stage. As a treat. Also forgive the voice-over in the video.

Bonus Spellcard: [ "Full House Amulets: Bullet Money Bonus Packets" ] A spell card that I can only describe as incredibly reminiscent to Chimata. Rainbow-patterned Ofuda explode in a firework-shaped pattern, then descend slowly downwards. This is usually repeated in increments of 3-4 seconds. I guess the Rainbow Market incident is getting to her head, or she's quite possibly harnessing the power of market gods here-- can't find confirmation on that latter suggestion, sadly.

Also-also, all characters are able to slow danmaku + projectiles by projecting a "Pacifying Aura". It's the main game mechanic of TH19-- it affects attacks such as Reimu's yin-yang orbs, Marisa's stars, and even spellcard projectiles (no, Chen doesn't count). Here's the translated descriptions from the manual I was able to screenshot for some context:
spirit6.png
Capture.png

Pacifying-Aura.png
manual2.png

Last edited:
How does passive 4d powerful even work. I think we are just taking this too seriously. It could just mean that the barrier was weak to her.

Plus reimu is known to be good at barrier magic so the powerful doesn't make sense when in reality she just dismantled the weak barrier easily

How does passive 4d powerful even work. I think we are just taking this too seriously. It could just mean that the barrier was weak to her.
I mean I don't really know what to say to this, the scans, statements, and source material are all there and collected. And in context to the greater picture of the series it makes more sense than you'd think at a surface-level glance.

Plus reimu is known to be good at barrier magic so the powerful doesn't make sense when in reality she just dismantled the weak barrier easily
If you're gonna say stuff like this you really need to elaborate or give us a point of reference. It'll help a loooot.

For the 4d passive powernull regarding reimu breaking through nether world barrier. Reimu is noted to be insanely good at barrier magic so I felt she could just have simply broken through unaware . I read the scans but with your arguement if reimu could theoretically have passive 4d powernull wouldn't that mean that most battles with her would be an automatic win for her. She has been beaten by Marisa and Okina before so I dont necessarily think it her passing through the nether world has to do with powernull or more has to do with her barrier magic. The second scan regarding nullifying enemy projectiles could be treated as game mechanic as this has never really happened in the manga stories while the turning of tsukomogi into objects could be trans mutation plus we have to co side the nature of said tsukomgi

A lot of this just amounts to headcanon, if I'm being blunt. Reimu's whole "barrier magic" thing has never been given much elaboration beyond what we see her do, and trying to rely on it as a debunk feels a bit fallacious.

If an ability can be used without any clear activation method, and the user themselves does not need to be consciously aware of the ability being used, then it can pretty safely be assumed to be passive. Hope this helps.

What if she forgot she did that due to how weak the barrier was? There was a thread listing various times reimu forgets a lot of stuff so how about this instance? Plus in most games she still needs to perform some signs when doing her barrier magic, so this could just be an instance of ooc

What if she forgot she did that due to how weak the barrier was? There was a thread listing various times reimu forgets a lot of stuff so how about this instance? Plus in most games she still needs to perform some signs when doing her barrier magic, so this could just be an instance of ooc
Look dude, I get that this is a high end compared to her regular showings, but that doesn't mean we can dismiss it with pure headcanon. The gap between when Reimu breaks the barrier and when Youmu confronts her is like, a couple minutes at most - Reimu isn't THAT forgetful (otherwise her forgetfulness would be about as bad as alzheimer's).

The "needing to perform some signs" thing is also false btw, her barriers in ULiL/AoCF are passive and in IN they're stated to be made from her willpower alone.

She is the final stage boss of [Spoiler character]'s route, and actually has some exclusive things. I'll timestamp these accordingly with a translation patch.

Spell Card 1: [ Spirit Sign "Trampling Yin-yang Orbs" ] She launches purple Yin-yang orbs in a swirling pattern which descend and bounce.

Spell Card 2: [ Rampant Sign "Yin-yang Orbs" ] She throws numerous blue yin-yang orbs at her opponent, which descend in clusters relatively slowly, bounce, and are fired much more in succession between complete shots.

Spell Card 3: [ "All The Stored Up Yin-yang Orbs" ] This is pretty much an incredibly buffed version of her first non-spell from Imperishable Night, made into a Spell Card. It's nice to see it again after, what, 20 years? Anyways, in this Spell card, she fans out red yin-yang orbs in clusters-- which also bounce off the screen and provide veeeery little room to dodge. Note that shes able to do this with just a few waves her Gohei and... they appear. Yeah. A very dense orbing here.

Insert Reimu's stored balls joke here.

Final Spell Card: [ "No Mercy In Excorcizing Demonic Beasts" ] Really fast and cluster-y Ofuda shots that are fanned-out in Clownpiece fashion. In context to the story, and as the name implies, that they excorsize Oni, Demons, and Beasts. Although there's no other scans that I could find that explicitly say this beyond spellcard's name, so at face value this has nothing backing it beyond what is already specified on her profile for her Ofuda. Also her strongest spellcard in the game.

Also another thing from 18.5 in the 4th Market Stage. As a treat. Also forgive the voice-over in the video.

Bonus Spellcard: [ "Full House Amulets: Bullet Money Bonus Packets" ] A spell card that I can only describe as incredibly reminiscent to Chimata. Rainbow-patterned Ofuda explode in a firework-shaped pattern, then descend slowly downwards. This is usually repeated in increments of 3-4 seconds. I guess the Rainbow Market incident is getting to her head, or she's quite possibly harnessing the power of market gods here-- can't find confirmation on that latter suggestion, sadly.

Also-also, all characters are able to slow danmaku + projectiles by projecting a "Pacifying Aura". It's the main game mechanic of TH19-- it affects attacks such as Reimu's yin-yang orbs, Marisa's stars, and even spellcard projectiles (no, Chen doesn't count). Here's the translated descriptions from the manual I was able to screenshot for some context:
spirit6.png
Capture.png

Pacifying-Aura.png
manual2.png
Reimu's spell cards will be added under her NA&T section eventually, they'll be one of the first things changed seeing as I wanna do profile rewrites first and foremost. Since they don't seem to give anything worthwhile for new abilities, I wouldn't worry about them too much. Also, I'm very aware of the exorcism aura and associated mechanics; That will be covered later, likely during the spell card user upgrades.

The "needing to perform some signs" thing is also false btw, her barriers in ULiL/AoCF are passive and in IN they're stated to be made from her willpower alone.
Aren't those games as a result of game mechanics. Especially in the manga and shootemup series this never happened. And in IN it could be that they are powered from said will power but still need to do hand signs

Look dude, I get that this is a high end compared to her regular showings, but that doesn't mean we can dismiss it with pure headcanon. The gap between when Reimu breaks the barrier and when Youmu confronts her is like, a couple minutes at most - Reimu isn't THAT forgetful (otherwise her forgetfulness would be about as bad as alzheimer's).
I mean I get what you are trying to say, but I felt that it wouldn't be a problem if it wasnt pure passive powernull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back