• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
As has been established in both the lore of Touhou and the profiles for the verse, gods can make a multitude of avatars for themselves, and pretty much all of the gods that have been fought in the games and other medias were just avatars of said gods, all except for one. Even though this god didn't use an avatar to fight the heroines in the game she stars in, her profile has for years assumed she did. I don't need to even mention who it is because you literally read the title.

Why she doesn't have an avatar key

Junko has the ability to purify anything in the verse. However, this is very different compared to the other forms of purification shown in the verse or other fictional media, as instead of purifying things the "normal" way (i.e literally removing the impurity of something), she restores something to their original, simpler or more primordial did you see what i did there form. Such as when she turned Clownpiece and the other fairies of hell into pure life energy (Source: Touhou 15 Manual). Though she didn't just use this ability on the fairies, as her bio in the Touhou 15 manual also states that she used this ability on both her anger and even herself, turning her into a "Sagacious Spirit," which ZUN (/word of god) states it's just another flavor of divine spirit in this interview:

It's hard to separate the character from the genre. She is a type of divine spirit, but it's hard to make a distinction so at the very least she's a spirit. In this case, it's a little hard to handle her. Who could there be to explain who she is or what she does?

It's also worth mentioning that Junko forgot her own identity after purifying herself, and that she carries the title of "Nameless Being" in Touhou 15. This is important as only the avatars of gods have names, while their primordial forms don't, which as ZUN mentions is explained in chapter 15 of CoLA.

At the same time that the power to name is a god’s power, the gods themselves didn’t have names in the beginning. Like with Takemikazuchi no Mikoto or Hachiman, the names of the gods we are familiar with nowadays only represent but one aspect of these gods. Takemikazuchi no Mikoto was originally Mikatsuchi (Pot Spirit), and just as the name implies, he was a god lodged in a jar. When his name changed to Takemikazuchi, he changed from a god of sorcery (as implied by the ‘pot’ character) to a god of swordsmanship (implied by the ‘thunder’ character). By changing its name, a god changes its nature, which is evidence that a god’s name is only one aspect of their selves. In the beginning, the gods had a much more ambiguous shape, so they were nameless entities with no particular distinctions.
Conversely, the gods who still retain their original form can only possess things from before everything was named. Because if a god were lodged in something with a name, then it could only display one of its aspects.

With that out of the way, it just needs to be proven that the Junko that LoLK's cast fights is her actual, primordial form, instead of an avatar. Which there's also enough proof of.

Besides her title in the game being Nameless being, Reimu tells Tewi that Junko was a pure soul, or a divine spirit. Her words are credible as she's a shrine maiden, and she never talks about any other godly avatar like this.
zttU4lV.png

(Sources: One of Reimu's endings in Touhou 15)

Probably somewhat weaker of the other evidences, is Junko's danmaku. For a series that's known for having characters whose entire fighting style is creating images or unique shapes out of the ridiculous amount of projectiles they throw at you, Junko's patterns are incredibly simplistic, with ZUN confirming that this was intentional in the interview. Considering that Junko can turn things into their most simplest forms, and that her danmaku is basic, also eludes that this is her purified state instead of an avatar.

Lastly, in the same interview I've linked, ZUN states that Junko managed to hold onto her pure form;

I touched on it a little in Curiosities of Lotus Asia, but if I have to say it then it would be the power of the gods. A pure power from before things had names. When you give a name to something, its godly nature disappears. But she held onto that pure aspect all this time, and she can bestow it upon other things. It's a power that's almost like giving birth to a god.

How does this affect the other profiles?

Since the playable cast of LoLK managed to fight the primordial form of a god, who have AE, NEP, and Transduality, their NPI will be upgraded. So these profiles will be affected:

Will this affect the scaling in any signifcant way?

I'm not really sure, as I'm not really good at Touhou's scaling chain. I'll update this part of the OP once a conclusion regarding Junko's placement in the scaling chain is reached.

Last edited:
Yes. Good. As some additional evidence, SCoOW confirms that Junko's ability reduces things to an unnamed state.

Furthermore, there are a few small notes about the scaling. First is that Sumireko would be among those who scale, as her dream self fought Junko in VD. Second is that all of those characters would gain Enhanced Senses due to being able to perceive Junko, whose nameless state as a god cannot be seen.

I'll comment on Junko's scaling later. Excellent work on this by the way, this was desperately needed.

And so begins another 60 year cycle of an unresolved Touhou thread.

I'm glad that this is getting tackled since it's been talked about for quite a bit. Anyway, I agree with the key removal for the nameless Amogus Eye woman and the changes for the people who fought her.

Wouldn't this apply to Clownpiece and Sagume as well? I think Eirin also knows what she looks like.
Good point, Hecatia should be included as well. Though I'm not 100% sure about Eirin, isn't the source for that just that she knows what Junko is, not that she's seen her personally?

Junko pretty much scales to the rest of cast via hitting the main characters of the series. The scaling chain will not be affected by much but they scales higher now.
Though now I'm wondering if the primordial state really is superior to the avatars, since this mean Sanae>Kanako and Suwako, or Reisen>Eirin. I'll wait for further opinions.

(Now if only we have that tier 1 Touhou accepted).

Junko pretty much scales to the rest of cast via hitting the main characters of the series. The scaling chain will not be affected by much but they scales higher now.
Though now I'm wondering if the primordial state really is superior to the avatars, since this mean Sanae>Kanako and Suwako, or Reisen>Eirin. I'll wait for further opinions.
They're not. They are explicitly weaker via lacking faith. Though that's a revision for another time.

So faith are important now? So how strong is Keiki compared to other gods now.
Yes. Gods are explicitly empowered by faith, and gods do not exist until faith is placed in them (ie; nonexistent nameless gods lack faith, and thus lack power).

Keiki would probably be on the lower scale of gods, given her comparability to Animal Realm leaders who are slightly inferior to Flandre. But let's keep this thread focused on Junko.

Shoompy was the last guy I expected to make not only a CRT, but a CRT on Touhou.
He's been in Touhou threads a lot actually :v

Wasn't there one CRT that attempted to upgrade touhou gods to low 1C?

Yes, made by Jinseye. I thought people forgot about it.

Last edited:
Back