• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Removal of SCP-871 and other similar pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do the staff members who have responded here think?

@Ant:

I'm in favor of deleting the profile wholesale, as I don't believe it fits the criteria for anything we're supposed to be cataloguing on this wiki. I believe Matt also said he was in favor of deleting the profile (although he was opposed at first), and Kal appears to agree as well. Weekly is opposed.

Wokistan appears entirely neutral on deletion, but thinks a change should be made to the profile if we're going to keep it, so that it's not classified as a character when it clearly isn't one.

I don't think Dragon has actually voiced their opinion, yet.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
458 get the delet regardless, since it cannot be dangerous even if it tries to be.
Every other bit of your post I agree with, but I feel what you said here is TECHNICALLY incorrect.

"Cannot create pizza with substances that are indigestible by regular human bodies"

It CAN make stuff that would exploit allergies, gastrointestinal combinations (Ex: Durian & beer can be deadly.), health conditions, as well as stuff indigestible to nonhumans. Ex: Chocolate for dogs.

However, 458 still possesses little to no agency, & more importantly, poses little other danger than outliving its opponent, like Composite Tree did in some matches.

871 possesses little agency also, but is slightly more dangerous.

I think entities, objects, weapons, locations, & events from fiction should be documented, SO LONG as they have a sufficient combination of notable abilities, feats &/or agency.

Imaginym said:
Every other bit of your post I agree with, but I feel what you said here is TECHNICALLY incorrect.

"Cannot create pizza with substances that are indigestible by regular human bodies"

It CAN make stuff that would exploit allergies, gastrointestinal combinations (Ex: Durian & beer can be deadly.), health conditions, as well as stuff indigestible to nonhumans. Ex: Chocolate for dogs.
No, it cannot. It has no control over what it makes. It makes whatever the one that holds it likes, so unless you like your pizze being toxic, it's not doing anything. A dog would never want a pizza with chocolate, and it decides on what you like to eat, so even someone like Thunder would not die to it.

The fact that the enemy needs to eat a pizza from the ground when they actively want to destroy it by SBA is also pretty damning to it.

The Pizza should go imo, the only ability it has is to make someone's favorite pizza based on touch and the box being somewhat hard to destroy, I don't believe that can classify as a weapon or a natural disaster of any sort.

@King

Okay. I suppose that the consensus is leaning towards deleting the page then.

@Ricsi-Viragosi: Given it canonically being "semi-sapient", I assume it'd have the capacity to act maliciously, especially under SBA.

But I do agree about getting rid of it, or at the very LEAST, its win loss section.

A microwave isn't semi-sapient because you can select how you want to heat up your food, even if it can remember the options.

The pizza is like an automatic microwave, but it can't select any pizza other than your favorite one. it's not something that can fight or harm an opponent in any way, period.

The semi-sapient rating seems to come from this line from the SCP's page:

"It is assumed the box is semi-sentient, having at least enough telepathic or empathetic ability to sense what the holder's personal choices regarding pizza are." If it's not at all capable of agency, why call it semi-sapient, canonically & on the profile, then? And it can't always produce a favorite pizza. It can only do so within limitations of substances digestible by humans, and has failed to produce a favorite kind of pizza when it required such a sauce.

Addendum 1a: Upon testing SCP-458 with SCP-ÔûêÔûêÔûê, the subject took a bite of the slice, which appeared to be a garlic-free slice of sausage and olive pizza on wheat crust. This was met with the response "It's a fine slice, but I would have preferred a rather different sauce." It was inferred that the box cannot use substances that are indigestible by regular human bodies. Further testing confirmed this.

If it can discern favorite foods enough to act on them, as well as substitute for invalid pizza materials, & is called semi-sapient by the folks who research it, I'd assume it would have some capacity for malice, especially if SBA where applied to it.

I don't support it having a profile, I just find that curious.

No. It has enough sapience to be able to understand what someone likes. It has no actual inteligence for malice. Being able to plot someones death is sentience, no semi.

And it is unable to create things not digestible, doesn't really help the idea that it can kill people.

I'd ask, if it has no decision-making ability, what process dictates how it substitutes pizza components?

It is specifically unable to create things indigestible by humans. Although, as far as has been shown, when it made pizza for an SCP, the substitute sauce, based on the quote, merely wasn't what they'd have preferred. Whether there was a more ideal sauce is debatable, I'd say.

In any case, my stance remains as above: Entities, objects, weapons, locations, events, etc. from fiction should be documented, SO LONG as they have a sufficient combination of notable abilities, feats &/or agency. 458 seems to lack those.

Other than potential indigestion issues & a nigh indestructible box, & mysterious processes to its pizza creation, it lacks much of that reasoning.

I don't think you are understanding what semi-sentience is for. It is litirally like a computer, it can work with information, but cannot actually think, have feelings, etc. Only because Google can tell you what is poisonous and venomous doesn't mean that it is inteligent, same here.

That doesn't matter. It cannot kill someone, as it litirally couldn't make a non-digestible pizza.

Seems like it was an erroneous rating for us to use, in that case. But 458's being deleted anyway, I'd bet.

None of the 11-As can affect 3Ds, just as by default 3Ds can't really affect 4Ds. That's not the same thing as the cake.

Jackythejack said:
uh oh they're getting delete happy
I mean, I was just asking since they're talking about deleting an SCP which doesn't really do anything, and the paper doesn't really do anything either so it just seems like it falls under the same category.

I mean, yeah, I'm neutral on SCP as a whole so if it stays I'm good with it. I'm just saying if this is accepted, it should be something that applies to ANYTHING like this, rather than just calling out the Cake.

The cake has the potential to destroy the planet, now just cover the surface but actually physically become 5-B given enough time, as well as become a tier 3 black hole also given enough time

Just because it takes a long time to do this does not mean the profile should be deleted

We already agreed on getting rid of the win/loss section though right? Cause if not it's already been removed, and we may have been ninja'd outside the thread while we were bickering.

I'm with Weekly, Cal, and Cinnabar.

If the cake goes, everything else even remotely similar to it should also go (i.e. Events). An easier, short-term solution would just be to remove the win/loss section, discontinuing versus matches while still keeping it as a profile, and this entire thread would be solved for both sides of the debate.

In that case, I am also inclined to agree with Weekly. The cake is doing no harm by being there. And something else we should remember, this is an indexing site first and foremost, (Ant's words, not mine.) and this site isn't just for us to use. We get a regular amount of visitors as well and we should strive to index as much as many viable characters/weapons/events as we can to make sure that if someone were to want or need to know the stats of that thing for any reason, that it's their for them to see, regardless of it's usefulness in versus debates.

I've never once said that my reasons were due to it not being viable in threads. I don't think that was anyone's argument, but even if it was, it certainly wasn't mine.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
My reasons are that the cake is neither a character, nor a weapon, nor a natural phenomenon, nor anything else that has an actual right to be on a VS-centric website.
Its "AP feats" aren't AP feats. They're a side-effect of it being an object that duplicates a lot, and the rating on its page comes from leaving the earth uninhabitable. Not by actually destroying or damaging anything, but by taking up a lot of space.

Is this an indexing website? Yes. Does that mean we should index anything under the sun that has some vaguely defined special characteristics about it, even if said thing as a whole has nothing to do with what our wiki is supposed to be indexing? Not in the least.
If I were really interested in deleting characters just because "they aren't viable for VS threads", I'd be campaigning to delete all of the Tier 0 characters we have.

EDIT: Actually I probably wouldn't do that anyway, because even if that were what I wanted, Azathoth would smite me within seconds.

Well, personally I don't think that the profile causes any harm. The "VS" part of the name was selected by Galaxian Pyron. Our wiki is currently mainly just about indexing things. The versus discussions are just there for our members to have fun. We shouldn't take them seriously.

The cake has;

>No actual AP feats as I explained above

>It doesn't have speed (it's a cake)

>It isn't a character (it's a cake)

>It isn't a weapon

It's a cake that duplicates once in 24 hours if you don't eat it. That's it.

Like, I get "we are an indexing wiki", but even ignoring the fact that we wouldn't be nearly as popular if vs debating wasn't as popular, there is almost nothing to index in 871's case

Well, I am neutral then. I don't think that it is a big deal if we delete or keep it.

@Kalt It does have AP as ive explained above, it just takes a long time to get there. I can give you a lot of characters who have tiers solely because of their size and nothing else.

I can link you to dozens of pages for weapons that are unable to move on their own. Hell i can link you to a lot of characters who cant move. Not having a speed doesnt justify deleting it.

Weapons arent characters. Again, not justification.

We have multiple weapon profiles for things that arent weapons. Once again, not justification.

Except that being big without actually being able to create any energy doesn't grant you AP. Again, tier 9 anvils because they are heavy.

And 871 isn't even a single big cake to begin with. If it covers the entire planet, it's because there are an octillion of cakes.

Is humanity High 6-A because we are spread across all the planet?

It doesn't seem like I am able to help you solve this, so I will unsubscribe from the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back