• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Removal of SCP-871 and other similar pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, friends, I think it's time we have a little heart-to-heart.

The cake has got to go. I know there's no official rule that states if something is going to have a profile that said thing needs to be able to act and attack on its own, but I think that's because it should go without saying. Even if it's put up against someone who isn't human, it's still just a pile of cakes that can't cause any semblance of harm to anyone for a month if not longer.

Think about it. This site is about indexing combatants and debating how they would win and act in a fight. But this cake has no combat feats. It's exactly like the Composite Tree: An immobile, non-sentient object whose only win condition exists via accident.

I'd say I'm unable to believe this has been allowed to pass for this long, but I know exactly why.

The Memes..
The Memes...

Except it can't fight. It just sits there and does nothing. That's not a combatant, that's... that's a stage hazard. That's like saying a meteor or a tornado is a combatant.

Also since the the cakes take forever to cover the earth are we assuming the planet is empty except for the designated opponent? Jut wondering if the cake stays, because if not, I am pretty sure something would happen. Plus since the cake isn't moving, cant the opponent just...move it? Sure it will multiply but how log does it take to destroy/cover the earth?

[After returning with my laptop]

First off, comparing the cake to our weapon and Real World disaster profiles is flawed for two reasons:

• Weapons are still centered around combat, and their statistics come from what happens when they are used in a fight. The cake is not a weapon, nor is it an object centered around combat in any other fashion. Its statistics (the ones that aren't "below average human") come from it multiplying until it fills up a whole lot of space.
  • Disaster profiles are on the wiki for reference purposes. They're there for the sake of indexing and, in some cases, as a means of determining the power of a character who's done or caused something similar. (See: all of our characters with tornado feats, characters who scale volcanic eruptions) The cake does not have this excuse.
Looking at it objectively, the cake doesn't have anything that suggests it should be here. It's not a character, isn't a weapon, doesn't physically attack, doesn't even move, and doesn't have any roots in combat at all. It's an object that duplicates once a day, and doesn't do any form of damage to anyone until long after normal incap rules would apply, with said "damage" coming from the combined weight it has after duplicating itself a lot. (By the way, the idea of "fixing that" by starting off with more cakes is an immoderate and nonsensical solution. You don't see us making those kinds of allowances for any other profile on the wiki, much less having profiles that require such allowances to be made just for them to have any sort of standing in a thread)

We have another SCP profile, SCP-504, which I find to be highly questionable for similar reasons. But going by the above, even that has more of an excuse to be here than the cake does. The profile is ridiculous at this point, and I find it thoroughly illogical for us to keep it.

Since they are weapons though, I don't think that they should be unironically put in a battle against an actual character:

Take SCP-458 for example:

The only thing it can do are making someone's favorite pizza, and having very high durability

The problem is that people make matches between it, a non-sentient object that is completely unable to fight back or do anything to result in even incapacitation really, and any other characters with more than two brain cells, which clashes with SBA:

What stops the opponent from just taking the pizza, bringing it 4km away from the battle location an then wait for a week? What stops the opponent from just finding someone else to give the pizza? What would the pizza and the user not even interacting with each-other count as? As an inconclusive? How do any of the two fighters even win, technically speaking?

It's essentially like putting a man against a bomb that no one can detonate, or any character against an opponent that has already been incapacitated: that thing can't do absolutely anything other than "outliving" (which people told me that it doesn't even count as a victory condition), "but hey, that thing is still there, so it counts, right?" No.

To me, the problem isn't the SCPs themselves as much as they are the people who spam them in versus matches. It's like Composite Tree, but even worse.

I don't think it should be a character, but putting it as a weapon or natural disaster makes enough sense to me.

It shouldn't be a character profile simply because it isn't a character.

Saying that it's a weapon is already pushing it

Speaking of which, where is it said that the cake is High 6-A?

Because the only thing I found is this "As there is no known mechanism for halting SCP-871's replication, any uncontained instances could replicate exponentially, quickly becoming unmanageable. No maintainable plans for the containment of more than 20,000 instances of SCP-871 have yet been devised. It is estimated that an uncontrolled outbreak originating with a single instance would render the earth uninhabitable within 80 days."

Which is not High 6-A.

Kaltias said:
It shouldn't be a character profile simply because it isn't a character.
Saying that it's a weapon is already pushing it

Speaking of which, where is it said that the cake is High 6-A?

Because the only thing I found is this "As there is no known mechanism for halting SCP-871's replication, any uncontained instances could replicate exponentially, quickly becoming unmanageable. No maintainable plans for the containment of more than 20,000 instances of SCP-871 have yet been devised. It is estimated that an uncontrolled outbreak originating with a single instance would render the earth uninhabitable within 80 days."

Which is not High 6-A.
Making earth inhabitable = taking over the surface of the earth = multi-continental by sheer size

Removing SCP-871 esque profiles will remove the fun of making vs matches like "Character A tries to stop a nuclear bomb", "Character B tries to stop the Chicxulub impact", and thus whatever matches like "Character C tries to stop a duplicating cake". Since nobody even makes vs matches with bombs and natural disasters, you might as well delete every single weapon and event profile in this wiki because by far SCP-871 is the only profile that people actually use to create [can character x stop this scenario] threads. There are around 700-800 motionless weapon profiles and 14 event profiles excluding living weapons like CAS, which is 3-4% of the wiki.

If it clashes with SBA there shouldn't be anything that stops someone from just saying on the thread that "incap is 100 years" or something like that and to further elaborate I can create this example vs match:

Luffy vs SCP-871

Incap Time: 1 year

• if Luffy does not finish eating all the cakes in 1 year but the remaining cakes is less than the original amount, add another 1 year to the Incap time
SCP-871 starts with 1000 cakes.

Luffy ate x amount of Cracker's clones which are each y ft^3 in volume in z amount of time before he couldn't eat more, and fully digested the crackers in n minutes.

Luffy in character would not know anything about SCP-871 so he probably wouldn't go with a strategy of taking one bite out of every cake within 24 hours.

If x * y is smaller than the size of 1000 cakes, divide xy by pi (volume of the 1 cake) to get the hypothetical amount of cakes that luffy would have eaten in n minutes. Repeat this scenario until 24 hours have passed.

Apply a roof function to the hypothetical amount of cakes that luffy would have eaten in 24 hours because a cake can not duplicate when partially eaten and then multiply the remaining amount of cakes by 2 and add 1 for the partially eaten cake.

Repeat 365 times and if the final amount of cakes is more than 1000, Luffy loses, otherwise Luffy wins

"Since nobody even makes vs matches with bombs and natural disasters, you might as well delete every single weapon and event profile in this wiki because--"

I already addressed why this argument is flawed. The cake is neither a weapon nor a recorded natural phenomenon, and has none of the excuses surrounding either.

Also, I want to point out that a making matches isn't the primary goal of this place, and we shouldn't keep a profile solely because it gives us more potential matches to make.

@King And you shouldnt delete it just because you find it odd

This is an indexing website first and foremost. 871 has AP feats, it has powers, it has everything to qualify for a profile regardless of whether or not it can be used in matches

You're deliberately misinterpreting what I've said now. My reasons aren't because "I find it odd". My reasons are that the cake is neither a character, nor a weapon, nor a natural phenomenon, nor anything else that has an actual right to be on a VS-centric website.

Its "AP feats" aren't AP feats. They're a side-effect of it being an object that duplicates a lot, and the rating on its page comes from leaving the earth uninhabitable. Not by actually destroying or damaging anything, but by taking up a lot of space.

Is this an indexing website? Yes. Does that mean we should index anything under the sun that has some vaguely defined special characteristics about it, even if said thing as a whole has nothing to do with what our wiki is supposed to be indexing? Not in the least.

@Kalt There was actually a calculation done somewhere where they found that after 82 days the cakes would cause the planet to collapse from their sheer weight and after 100 some days they'd collapse into a supermassive black hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back