• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Puella Magi Discussion Thread X: Gacha is Suffering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Story wise it can be depending on the writter and developer want to, like what they do on GBFV for example

Graphic wise you don't need to worry if Arcys is the one who handling it, they basically rocking with their recent fighting games from DBFZ to GG Strive

Well most fighting games tends to have story mode in them, that's why I mentioned the story.

About the gameplay, most of the fighting game are using the 2-D gameplay. And if this series is going to have a fighting game, it mostly likely would be that kind of gameplay, which I'm not a fan of it.

If PMMM are going to have a fighting game, I would prefers for it to be like FGO Arcade or Jump Force where we can roam the battlefield or even interracted with them. But I'm fully aware the franchies isn't popular enough to afford that kind of gameplay.

There's almost no story in 90% of fighting games, only NetherRealm games and more recently SFV.

Jump Force completely bombed because of its gameplay so that prolly won't work.

With how varied the magical girls' abilities are, it probably fits really well gameplay wise.

Would also be really cool seeing Inu Curry's artstyle in a fighting game, would be pretty trippy.

@Bang Zero

I mean most in the case, 2D fighting games sometime feels better, heck even the 2.5D fighting games like Guilty Gear, DBFZ, and GBFV are 100% better

Sadly an arena fighting games like Jump Force and FGO arcade probably won't work on PMMM, that will make it very wonky unless it created by the publishers of Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm's and My Hero Academia One Justice, meanwhile with the standard fighting games you can see how much variated they do on it from the models, environments, the effects, and so on

@Schnee

Granblue Fantasy Versus also had story mode and the content in that story mode was freaking good

Well Jump Force was destined to be floppy so yeah >.>

@SD

This and with the mechanic of GBFV i can see this will be happening

Inu Curry? And tou know what i really wish for? If PMMM becoming fighting game, please let be a M rated

M rated Meduka?

Bruh you want some Fate / Zero level atrocities in the game or what?

@Edward Puella Magi Mugen Magica

Well not some level of F/Z atrocities, but rather an good amount of blood effects and dismembering, with some of cinematic kills on it

And to be fair, PMMM always being bloody as heck

Since I'm seeing some ******** on Magia Record's anime adapation, just want to say, it's the best spin-off we've gotten. It has a great understanding of what made the original so great. Amazing story boarding, a nice handle on mood and atmosphere, beautiful music, a focus on characters and their struggle to work within a system that actively works against them, all for the sake of a wish that may or may not have been granted properly.

Most of the spin-offs have been pretty trash compared to the perfection that is the original series. Like, here's my rankings.

Magia Record (anime): 9/10

Different Story: 9/10

Wraith Arc (1st half): 8/10

Tart: 7/10

Tamura: 7/10

Wraith Arc (2nd half): 6/10

Oriko: 6/10 (2/10 for the art though)

Magia Record (game/main story): 5/10

Suzune: 3/10 (10/10 for Suzune's design though, even if it's a Black Rock Shooter rip-off)

Kazumi: 3/10

Homura's Revenge: 2/10

>Excuse me

Kazumi is so poorly plotted its embarassing to the tight as **** structure of the original. In constrast to Madoka's amazing cold open, it starts with "white room syndrome". i.e. a character wondering how they came to be in a blank room. This is done to death and so tedious. It honestly feels like it was written with this way because they wanted to hold off reveals they weren't able to plan for until the series finished because they didn't know all the details (i.e. Witches secretly being Magical Girls). While they do end up incorporating the memory loss into later plot details, the opening bits really grate because of this.

I honestly also find the themes of the series kind of ******. Like, Madoka Magica was all about how Kyubey's system was at odds with the girls. It was exploitative of them, yet Kazumi and her friends return to that system through their actions with no signs of wanting to try and fix anything about it. Which again, is kinda ****** since Kyubey is basically a proxy for patriarchal systems that view women's suffering as necessary for a better world. The characters are essentially fighting to return to a status quo that makes them subservient to Kyubey and his system again. WIth their only salvation being their promise to one another to not become Witches. It feels so trite.

Well what the Incubator system means is supposed to be open to interpertation.

In the context of Kazumi Magica, I thought it was an acceptance of the inevitable conclusion to their lives. Not a "proxy for patriarchal systems that view women's suffering as necessary for a better world".

Though I am curious how your interpertation works when considering with Rebellion's ending.

@Leaf

That....really ridiculous and dumb tbh, i heavily disagree with all of your point there, but at the same time i have no time for explaining why i really disagree right now so yeah

>when considering with Rebellion's ending

Thing is I love Rebellion, but it's not like it was intended to exist from the very beginning. Rebellion to me is basically a character study on Homura as a person, her flaws, and how they're so damning. How she can pinpoint the precise flaws in other characters that lead to their downfall, but is unable to recognize the fact that she is just as guilty of them (i.e. Her reflection about Mami after she kidnaps Bebe, nearly all the points could be applied to her).

Also, Rebellion establishes a new status quo. So it feels much less pointless than Kazumi in the grand scheme of things.

>really ridiculous and dumb

If you're just gonna dismiss my criticism by calling it dumb, I'm not sure I wanna hear your reply. I argued the points for why I disliked it, and gave supporting evidence for those points. I admit it's not super in depth, because it's been a longass time since I've read Kazumi, but it's not like I just posted a list of nitpicks and "plotholes".

Neither i am want to hear your reply too

Anyway, there something really bugging me for long time: How the hell most of Mami victories still not removed? Most of them i believe are so outdated as frick

...Right, to avoid this becoming a derail into infighting, here's my own list if any cares (This is all relative, with the og series ranking as a 10):

Magia Record (Event Stories / Side Stories): 9.9 / 10 (F4 is incredible when it comes to wholesome stories. I have a headcanon that they might have been doujin writers back in PMMM's golden age, because some elements really do show here. The darker event stories like Madoka / Homura's Valentines are incredible well done too, but its by Inu, which gives me hope for the anime, even the worst event story, Cross Connectio, is still hype and what Suzune Magica should have been.)

Cafe Grief Seed: 9.5 / 10 (Gave me diabetes and that artstyle, dear lord. A dramatic slice of life.)

Tart: 9.3/10 (The writer knows he's basically writing a shounen, but by adding historical elements and trying his own thing, he really made a good manga. I think this is shown best by Tart's reaction to the nature of the soul gem.)

Tamura: 8.9 / 10 (Really fun to read, expanding on material we already know and the writer definitely played the PSP game. Some timelines felt like filler tho. Queen Mami will probably be the best timeline, but that ending was just so heartbreaking. Especially the realization that Tamura and other important Homuras never managed to save Madoka...)

Wraith Arc (1st half): 8.8 / 10 (Incredible atmosphere and art, as well as worldbuilding. Honestly had a better beginning than the og series, and had the second half been done better, this could have been considered a superior sequel.)

PSP: 8.8 / 10 (Funny when it wants to be, and tragic when it needs to be. Aged like milk tho).

Adult Mami: 8.8 / 10 (ICONIC. I'm still planning on making a profile for Adult Mami. This story is kinda a mix between depressing and funny, because at the end, Mami is still alone...)

Magia Record (Anime): 8.7 / 10 (Still not done, so the potential is there. Chapter 3, 4, and 5 have been enhanced greatly through this adaption. Specifically character building for the latter two chapters, and the fight in chapter 3. Doppel Giovanna and Commoner's Horse became hype, despite having the shittest designs in-game).

Oriko Magica (Sadness Prayer): 8.6 / 10 (Remaking, because lets be clear, that's what this really was, a story like Oriko Magica must have been a hard feat. But the writer did it. They explained Oriko and Kirika much better this time, most of my gripes about the original are gone.)

Magia Record (Manga): 8.2 / 10 (A straightforward adaption of the game, but seeing it play out with minor changes for cohesion is really nice. Still, I think it really shows how the main story ain't quite Madoka enough).

Kazumi: 7.6 / 10 (Volume 2 and 5 are the low points of the series. Rereading it has helped me understand it better, but dang, I shouldn't have to reread it so many times to understand what's going on. Volume 2 should have been deleted from editing, and volume 5 split into two more volumes. This has almost as much potential as Wraith Arc if it had an anime adaptation or remake.)

Anti-Materials: 7.5 / 10 (Bruh who authorized this Mami x Homura fanfic. Because bless their soul. The plot is non-existant but the character dymanics are fantastic, I recommend anyone to read this.)

Different Story: 7.5 /10 (This may be blasphemous, but Different Story isn't as fun to read second time around. Feels like vol. 2 and 3 should have just been fused tbh).

Homura's Revenge: 7.3 / 10 (Kinda bland, but still a nice read. Have the same gripes as Different Story.)

Oriko (Manga and Extra Story): 7.2 / 10 (Alright story, Oriko carries this story. Kirkia seems a bit too obsessive and barely explained. Artwork haunts the verse to this very day. I did like how it tried to build on the moral dilemmas brought by the og series, but sadness prayer did it better.)

Pomu Magi: 7 / 10 (What was I even reading?)

Wraith Arc (2nd half): 6.8 / 10 (You know you got a problem when most of the fanbase doesn't even understand what happens here. The fact that AoC isn't given a real name is another problem as well. It really suffered from only having 3 volumes. If adapted, this would work incredible well. As a matter of fact, by simply explaining stuff and improving the pacing in the latter half, this could be on equal grounds with Rebellion and the og series easily.)

Comic Anthologies 6.5 / 10 (Does what its intended to be, the stories are a mixed bag. Madoka Magica GT should have been longer.)

Magia Record (Main Story / Another Story): 5.5 / 10 (I have a laundry list of issues, but honestly the biggest one is that its Madoka lite + fanservice. It's power scaling is shit too, lmao at Iroha oneshotting the Uwasa of Lucky Owl Water when three other magical girls including Yachiyo couldn't even scratch it. It breaks the very lore it builds upon, like how Uwasas work. Alina was what marked the beginning of the bad for me, read her side/event stories and then read the main story and tell me these aren't different characters.)

Suzune: 4.8 / 10 (You tried GAN, but I have hope that if you remade it, and got rid of the awful twist ending, you'd be able to do it justice. Imagine, each volume another girl goes down while debating whether magical girls should be forcefully prevented from becoming a witch, and each magical girl's death becoming harder to justify in Suzune's mind.)

I don't remeber Sute Ma! or Veranda enough to rate them unfortunately, but I remember the latter as good.

Rebellion Manga and Main series manga are both just 9s to me, for obvious reasons.

Haven't read Floating Madoka, Shoujobu Madoka, Kanameke, Bookstore, or Kindergarden. Yet. Haven't heard the drama CDs either.

Akemi Homura Will Try Harder Tomorrow scares me.

Wait, I only read 2 volumes of the anthologies, where can you read the rest?

>Homura x Mami fanfic

Gimme that too please

>Adult Mami

Forgot I read this. It's good, but the compulsive heterosexuality makes me want to vomit. Madoka Magica is meant to be a yuri paradise, Godoka Dammit.

It'd be lovely if Mami's Everyday Life or Welcome to Cafe Grief Seed weren't wiped off the face of the planet.

We should really get someone to tl them that'd be nice

@Leaf Akira, Mami, and Madoka are straight canonically tho

@Schnee Oh boy

@Edward maybe we'll find a translation blog or something with them in it.

@SD Legit give me the reasoning for it having the points it does

Sayaka is also Bi or straight

There is a TL blog but it only has the first four chapters of each and 15 of Mitakihara Anti-Materials

I mean I don't mind her existence compared to the rest of the cast butbthat doesn't detract from how bland the rest of the cast is, least for me.

Suzune is a character so terrible she can bring the series down to a 3 by herself, she is the most overly edgy Akame rip off I have ever seen and her character has so many numerous contradictions it's mind boggling, not to mention I hate her character design (More of an opinion thing)

I couldn't get hype just because she powered up, that shit needs to have time to marinate before being brought out of the oven.

>Madoka

>Canonically straight

What is this blasphemy?

>Alina different characters + MagiREco's main story

Btw, forgot to respond to this. But have you seen WhiteFluffyHat's Alina character analysis based on her personal story? Loved it honestly.

Also, the story being pretty seem to be due to heavy rewrites. Seriously wonder what the original plan for MagiReco was going to be.

>Drama CDs

Oh yeah, this is the only thing I've seen you haven't. Drama CDs are good fun honestly. I'd say their consistent with the quality of the MagiReco side stories.

Now if only we had the Madoka musical.

@Schnee I mean, they kept mentioning that her power was dangerous and she struggled to control it through out the manga. Then, seeing her power's mechanics made the fight tense, as either she witches out or suzune kills her, but she doesn't care and goes for maximum power mode.

@Leaf

The Chruch of the Straight Madoka is not blasphemy

No I have not, link pls

Drama CD link plsssssssssssssssss

Saw a clip of it, heard it was good tho.

>Suzune terrible

Suzune is basically just Mami ~~tetris~~ from episode 10 but sane (until it turns out she was brainwashed). It's really not a terrible motivation for a character, and she's not anymore edgy than the characters in the main series, outside of stabbing herself. But Sayaka also had a bit of self-harm allegory, what with her fighting style against the Witches, so it doesn't feel too out of place.

Again, it just offers no resolution to this character because she's made up (by brainwashing).

>Church of Straight Madoka

Ah, I get it, you sinnin' so you can be sent to Yuri hell and be with Homucifer.

>Links

Thread showing heavy rewrites performed on Magia Record + Addendums: https://thewhitefluffyhat.tumblr.co...lrighty-so-if-anyone-doesnt-know-magia-record

Alina Personal Story Analysis: https://thewhitefluffyhat.tumblr.com/post/190871294873/no-alina-isnt-crazy

Alina Main Story Character Analysis: https://thewhitefluffyhat.tumblr.co...432/animehime94-replied-to-your-post-no-alina

Drama CD (I saw 4 on YouTube somewhere, but don't have it here): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FUrKl7Mdus&list=PLZd4TAf7NufC3DpgMCkwb2eEaLWhkpgZZ

Please give me links to Akemi Homura Will Try Harder Tomorrow, Mitakihara Anti-Materials, and the other anthologies if you would.

Sayaka and Mami are both characters who have had constant psychic stress and other shit going on during the time of their respective snap, Suzune however doesn't, this is fine if her reasoning actually kinda made sense, however while it does it's an absolutely laughable macmuffin rhat completely spoiled everything the story was going for.

It doesn't help that I just could not care for any characters, which is sort of the curse of PMMM where I can't get attached to characters I know will die unless the story does a great job of making me care.

>this is fine if her actual reasoning

Again, I'm saying the execution of Suzune as a character is fine. It's just the motivation for how it was done (brainwashing) was complete bullshit. It's one of the few cases where execution in a story is completely ruined by the idea. Because it makes everything about it completely pointless. Suzune wasn't a real character, but a fabricated personality. So all the questions raised by her become pointless.

That doesn't mean though that Suzune herself is bad. I think the concept of her character is interesting, and had a lot of potential to work with. They just abandon it by making it so she was never real to begin with. But that's not Suzune's fault.

Schnee read Tart Magica

News is it's actually officially translated into english so we don't need to worry about it being lost to time. God damn you mangarock and your closing dow

@Leaf

Suzune even previous to this didn't make sense in her "I'm going to kill magical girls so they don't turn into witches" because not only does she go about it in a way it literally becomes a plot device because of how poorly planned it is (Seriously randomly killing magical girls which in turn starts a conflict with other magical girls despite the fact that she's supposedly doing it for the greater good of them).

Outside of this motivation, which gets ruined later, she is incredibly boring, there's cold, and downright emotionless brooding for the sake of it.

I find her interesting because we see that she truly does care for the girls she kills in her own way. Taking their names before she does the deed, for the purpose of remembering them. That in her mind, this is a kindness to them.

Also, she's not emotionless. She's killing because she knows the pain of what it's like to see someone you love turn into a Witch, and doesn't think anyone should suffer it. (Again, before it turns out she was brainwashed)

And taking said loved ones life doesn't have pain? Brainwashing makes her character worse if you use that as an excuse

It's not that it's not painful. It's just that she views them becoming a Witch as worse than them dying due to her hands.

Where have I argued that I liked the brainwashing plot point? I thought I've consistently argued for why I hated it, and wished they hadn't put it in.

Leafbladie said:
That doesn't mean though that Suzune herself is bad. I think the concept of her character is interesting, and had a lot of potential to work with. They just abandon it by making it so she was never real to begin with. But that's not Suzune's fault.
You were using it as an excuse that it's not Suzune's fault, sure, it isn't, but it affects her character regardless.

Ah, you seem to be misunderstanding. I'm saying it's not Suzune's fault her WRITER decided to absolve her of any wrong doing by retconning the story to be that she was brain washed all along. I wasn't trying to say it's not Suzune's fault because she was brainwashed (though that is true, and I hate that). I thought that was clear with what I said in the previous sentence, "[The writer] just abandons it by making it so she was never real to begin with."

Basically the brainwashing subplot morphs the Suzune I found interesting, and was hoping for a satisfying conclusion to her arc, into an entirely different character that has basically 0 stakes in this fight because of this. But I don't blame this plot development on Suzune, but, well... the plot, which assassinates her character. Does that make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back