• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
No, the hotter a fire is the less dense it will be due to the ideal gas law, the properties of which fire obeys.

If you were to take fire at 1000 Kelvin, and then heat it to 2000 Kelvin, the fire would expand and cover mor volume.

Possibly, but the density it correct for a fire 1200 degrees hotter then normal air.

It's using 1000 instead of 919 as the specific heat capacity figure though.

Oh, cuz it's blue fire.

Anyway Dumbledore's feat 4.075*(919/1000) = 3.744925 tons, Large Building level

Mid-high tiers are 1.248 tons, Building level, consistent with Bellatrix's shockwave. Mid-tiers are 0.436 tons scaling to Grindelwald's fire, and low-mid tiers are 0.416 tons, all Building level.

The Belletrix calc is weirdl. The methodology for the calc is not explained And there are some unexplained numbers in there (why is there an 1/1.05^5 in there? At no point in the calc is how powerful the shockwave is taken into account.

Also the Dumbledore calc uses 0.27kg/m^3 as it's density. However since it assumes a 1200C temperature change it should use a value of 288/(1200+288)*1.223=0.2367kg/m^3

This gets us 3.28 tons.

So for the high-mid tiers it's 1.093 tons of TNT, Building level (scaling to Dumbledore's fire).

The mid-tiers are 2.71/5 = 0.542 tons of TNT, Building level (countering Grindelwald's fire),

The low-mid tiers are 1.093/3 = 0.364 tons of TNT, Building level (scaling to the high-mid tiers).

Can the changes be applied finally?

@Dargoo Faust Are you fine with Archdemon's suggestion that the wizards should have Wall level+ durability scaling to Voldemort tanking Dumbledore's water spell?

I seem to recall that Pomfrey stated that McGonagall would've had no trouble with the aurors, in a straight fight. There were four in total, plus Umbridge - one had been taken down by Hagrid prior.

'I don't wonder you're shocked, Potter,' said Madam Pomfrey, with a kind of fierce approval in her face. 'As if one of them could have Stunned Minerva McGonagall face-on by daylight! Cowardice, that's what it was ... despicable cowardice ... if I wasn't worried what would happen to you students without me, I'd resign in protest.'

It's from chapter 32, "Out of the Fire" from the Order of the Phoenix.

Actually, looking at the quote - it's unclear whether Pomfrey means "one of them" as in a one-on-one confrontation, or that not a single one could've hoped to do it. Though I think people would tend to believe the former, but you can draw your own conclusions.

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan said:
@Dargoo Faust Are you fine with Archdemon's suggestion that the wizards should have Wall level+ durability scaling to Voldemort tanking Dumbledore's water spell?
I disagree. I think it's fairer to say Voldemort has something going on that lets him take attacks like that w/out sheilding as opposed to "every wizard is now 9-B+ w/out magic".

Doubt that - Horcruxes are explicitly stated to anchor the soul to mortal plane, it doesn't say anything about protecting their body, which is completely separate. The soul can exist without the body, and vice-versa in the Wizarding World.

Horcruxes protect his soul, not his physical body - as far as we know.

It's not completely out of the question, just unlikely in my opinion.

So, should any of the suggested changes be applied soon?

Just going to point this out there, Grindelwald overwhelms like, a dozen aurors without taking a single hit - Newt only takes him down because he was caught off guard -
FBAWTFT Gellert Grindelwald vs Aurors-0

Shrekosaurus rex said:
Just going to point this out there, Grindelwald overwhelms like, a dozen aurors without taking a single hit - Newt only takes him down because he was caught off guard -
Considering this, I don't think that others should be scaled from Grinselwald.

You see, if each auror is more or less comparable to a casual Bellatrix in power, they're all 8-C (around 0.28 tons). If there where, like, twenty aurors, that would give us 5.7 tons, which is High 8-C.

Consistent, I guess.

Same could be said about Minerva. She was said to be able to take four aurors down, which would give us more or less 1.12 tons, which is 8-C+.

Also consistent, I guess.

Yes, Bellatrix's obviously more powerful than most aurors. Hell, she defeated Shacklebolt in combat. But that shockwave was made casually, with a wave of her wand. I suppose it is fair to say any auror would be able to accomplish the same in their peak.

The Bellatrix calc is wrong.

The calc is assumes the shockwave travels at the speed of sound. However the the formula is true that is must be possible for shockwaves to move at speeds other then the speed of sound. The formula implies that the shockwave will infact slow down as it spreads out and t is proportional to r^2.5, giving v is proportional to r^1.5

http://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca/people/codoban/PHY138/Mechanics/dimensional.pdf

Is an example where the shockwave slows down as it spreads out. As such the get an accurate result the speed must be calced via distance over time.

In fact it takes i'd say roughly 5 seconds to travel across the room. This us a few hundred thousand joules of energy. It's far more also consistent ith the observed level of damage.

Honesty at this point I'm wondering if I'm the only person whoever actually checks these calcs.

Huh. Well, it was only a supporting feat anyway - she should still scale off of McGonagall, Slughorn and Kingsley - and should be a good deal superior to MACUSA Aurors.

So, since the calculation seems to be inaccurate, should Bellatrix's page be updated accordingly?

Okay. However, accuracy is very important for us.

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan said:
Doesn't matter, it's just a supporting feat.
I mean, considering the calculation method seems to be outright wrong and you said multiple other users made the same mistake, we need to find and remove/correct the calcs.

Back