• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible FTL Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amexim said:
. The logic for flash in it of itself doesn't make any sense to physically dodge without aimdodging-- what, do u see it before the light hits your eyes?
fiction tents to ingnore it

@Overlord

I'm not sure if it's fiction trying to ignore it or us in this particular case.

Furthermore if my suggestion gets accepted then Pokemon should have a brief period of time during which they should be able to naturally close their eyes before the emitted light becomes blindingly bright.

That's not what my point is about at all. Also in that case there would be no escape from it and it would be undodgeable.

And actually, to be quite frank, you're incorrect. Flash is a flashlight, it doesn't illuminate an entire cave it illuminates an area in close proximity to the user.

Okay. After reading the thread twice, here are my thoughts on specific stuff and then I'll get into my own opinion about this.

1.) As far as Caterpie goes, it being given this upgrade or not isn't my decision and I'm not even saying I agree/disagree. However, what I do disagree with is the reasoning and it more or less seems like "others would laugh at us if we put this here". In all honesty, we need to stop with going off of what OTHERS think. Yes of course we don't want everyone outside the site to think we're a joke but at the same time we go by our own standards and do what we think is right. Going off of opinions from people outside the site has never been an issue with accepting or rejecting material for a verse and it shouldn't start now. Should we downgrade every DBS page because of what other people think of them (and yes IK people outside here who think the DBS pages are jokes but thats beside the point.)? Or Naruto, Bleach, Digimon and more? All because of what others think? Absolutely not. Its not my decision on what to do for the caterpie thing but going off of other forums or places isnt the answer.

2.) For Pikachu (because I saw Cal mention it) i'd understand why FTL Pikachu would feel like butterflies in the stomach. But it wouldnt be as if nothing supports this sans flash. Afterall this is the same Pikachu whos able to fight against the likes of Tapu Koko (and very likely the UB's and Gladions Silvally). And before anyone says "Outlier!" like done for the other legends, Pikachu in the S/M anime has fought and, while lost, done particularly well against it on more than one ocasio and Tapu Koko is developing Pikachu to eventually be a worthy opponent for it in the anime. I know most of Pokemon's ingredients are PIS and Outlier, but there has to be a point where it can't be that. Something must be scaleable instead of being overlooked.

3.) Nothing much on solar beam. If it was accepted as real light then it should be more fuel no? However the Techno Blast issue needs to end. The move that was rejected was Genosects signal beam, not techno blast. Whether thats real light or not tho is debabtable.

4.) Just realized, but even if the non-legends don't get touched why can't the legendaries scale off of stuff like Jirachi? Its signsture move is accepted as light speed iirc. Some legendaries should be able to scale higher than that right?

5.) Forgive me, but why is pokemon being able to evdade moves being regarded as only game mechanics? Iirc, we had a BIG thread on this and we decided the evasion stuff for Pokemon was legit. Though if someone wants to link the thread to see if im wrong, please go ahead.

6.) The humans thing. In my opnion this should either be accepted as PIS or the humans are actually superhuman in their own right. And this is most blatently seen in the anime and manga. Like Milene and Korrina training with Lucario or Ash training with his pokemon in literally EVERY single season in the anime. The former could be PIS if anything but not the latter. Why is it so hard to believe these people are actually that fast in at least reactions? They'd have to be able to keep up with their mons somehow or else everyone would be fighting waaaay beyond their own capable perceptions. That or the pokemon just choosing to downgrade themselves to an extent? Which makes sense given what Pokemon is, but take that with a grain of salt.

Now my overall opinion? Im leaning towards agreeing with this, or at least what Azzy said, until something sways me from my position. This isnt something to agree or disagree with right away without more discussion or clarification honestly.

In all seriousness, I am still against this. But if ya'll accept it then go ahead, although I still agree with Matt and Assault. Plus Matt's first comment summed up my main opinion of this.

In my opinion the current speed (MH~SR) is perfect, and it's only a matter of time that the legendary pokémon are FTL.

Well, this is just my opinion.

To Kukui from Tv Tropes:

• Ash Ketchum. One minute he beats a League Champion. The next he loses to an Eevee. [He lost to Gary Electrivire and a Meowth one time]
  • Depending on what the plot calls for, Pikachu can be good enough to take out legendaries and psuedo-legendaries such as Dragonite and Regice, or weak enough to be taken out by a first day trainer with a Snivy.
  • Team Rocket are just as glaring. They lose so often that their rare success named a trope. But occasionally, they prove to be scarily competent...before going back to being jokes. Case in point. In a recent Pokemon Sun and Moon episode, they more or less BEAT Ash and all his Pokemon in a fair battle, and the only thing that stopped them from taking Pikachu was Bewear whisking them away agai. Fast forward a few episodes and they then get wrecked by a newly hatched Vulpix...
  • In episode 746, Iris' Axew, a mon in its first stage with a spotty at best record, managed to somehow put up something resembling a fight against Cynthia's Garchomp, a mon that beat four of Paul's team with one hit each.
  • In episode 648, for Ash loses against friggin Kenny, of all people, due to his rather foolish choice of using Buizel against an Empoleon.
  • The actual competence and strength of any Pokemon is highly dependent on the plot.
  • In the Anime there seems to be not powergap from Pokémon stages [See Ash Gible and Squirtle feats] to Leggendaries, Ash Pikachu may have damaged Arceus, but in said movie every Pokémon can damage Arceus, even a meteor. Which leads to Ash Pikachu fighting Marshadow and Type Null/Silvally being also PIS/Outlier since that Pikachu will be overpowered by other Pokémon later, which may think that everyone scales from eachother but there should be a gap in order to make sense the scaling since everyone being MFTL+ Low 6-B to 2-C is garbage scaling. The other wiki have not the likes of 4-A Broly and etc, so this wiki should not have the PIS Anime scaling, same for this by the way along with the Jirachi and the Blasts stuff.
  • Note: Team Rocket taking powerful attack and Ash being an OP SuperHuman are running gags. The Karate Trainers are 9-B from Bruno, but they will not included in the Trainers Profiles since the tiers will be Team only.

Can you link to where the discussion was, or summarize the reason? Because here, right now, the idea of how evasion is increased as a stat is a bit questionable, in addition to how flash is dodged and other moves as well.

Moves with 100% accuracy are usually dodged because the Mon is manipulating the circumstances surrounding the enemies ability to accurately aim at them. Not by blinding them or direct influence. Either way, very little has speed involved when you increase the evasion, and the stat is at 0 by Default. So none of that has to do with reactions or speed.

Scaling pokémon like this doesn't make sense. This means that every pokémon is capable of attacking at the same speed as Flash, tagging mons that can dodge flash. This applies to who? Everyone? Or just the mons who can use the moves necessary, which, through scaling, makes it everyone.

Not only that, but it assumes that obvious trash Mons like Shuckle are FTL. All based on someone's vague ability to avoid a move using an unclear method?

This is fishy. I recommend we stick to HHS to MHS+-- but to me, even that seems a little bit of a stretch, as again, most ways to dodge moves are either aim dodging or disruptive methods. Movement speed is still an unknown, and it's all assuming mons can dodge certain moves (when it's only because of techniques designed to tamper with accuracy indirectly), and then scaling based off of that.

I recommend we stick to the visual mediums and Pokken-ish games for scaling speed. Because that's the only way we're going to be able to get anywhere.

TL;DR:

Evasion should be over looked as game mechanics in its purist form. In scenarios like Persona/FF characters dodging attacks, it can thesibly be interpreted and comfortably argued that they dodged it with raw speed. Some inconsistencies could pop up if they scale off of a weird enemy attack in the beginning of the game-- say a Bee had a light speed attack in the beginning of the game that could be dodged when they can't even dodge attacks that would move slower than it-- typical contradictory outlierish/doesn't seem right from a logical perspective situation.

This is one of those situations. Not only is it based on a low-tier move, which makes the argument flimsy, and the logic behind how it's dodged normally makes no sense, the method by which it's dodged/avoided isn't directly speed but by some kind of trick, the understanding of the way it would be dodged without it is iffy, likely aimdodging-- and it flies in the face of other moves. Pokemon can dodge a flash of light, but a legend without double team or something can't dodge Thunderbolt. It goes against common sense too.

@Dark

Understandable points but there are some issues with some of that:

1.) Snivy. Seemingly is a well trained one right off the bat (it already knew Leaf Storm, which it can't learn until its at least level 15). Not like it was a baby one. Besides which, we need to remember Pikachu was heavily weakened by Zekrom. Literally the minute Ash and Pikachu step into Unova Zekrom zaps Pikachus power away. Besides which, it was addressed to simply make different keys for Pikachu like it was in the Necrozma thread for S/M, but I don't wanna go too off topic.

2.) Im pretty sure Ash beating any champion level trainers was considered outlier before Diantha and Ash-Greninja was a thing. Had not for passing out, Greninja and Ash could have fairly done even better than they did. And IIRC wasn't this Kanto or Johto Ash? Of course inconsistency like that would happen early on.

3.) As far as team rocket go, they are incompetent but that doesn't neccesarily mean they are naturally weaker than the rest. Sans Weezing and Arbok, Team R have given their pokemon good amounts of training to keep up with others. Cacnea for one. Plus it depends on the pokemon in question. Their pokemon like Wobbefet, Swoobat, Yamask, or Mimikyu are pretty strong but stupid reasons prevent them from being consistent threats (Wobbefet only good for countering moves or Mimikyu being serious only against Pikachu. Or just Beware in general). Same thing goes for Ash using Buizel. Incompetent yes, but that =/= being weaker, just a weakness in judgement. And Ash of all people have gotten out of type-advantage/disadvantage scenerios many times and came out on top.

4.) Axew wasn't first stage level, it simply chose not to evolve. There's multiple pokemon like that in the anime (Pikachu, Piplup,) it can simply be strong for only being first stage. Plus I think you might be tad overselling Axew. The best it did to Cynthia's Garchomp was push it back a bit and that was through Axew learning a new move. Plus it was just a practice battle to see how much Axew compared to Garchomp. Obviously Axew would've been stomped in any level of seriousness taken there.

5.) I actually have an issue with "Pikachu damaging Arceus". What damage was actually even seen? It appeared as though Arceus just shrugged it off fairly easily like nothing. Its the same thing as Superman being suceptible to magic. Not having a defense for something is one thing. Being weak to it is another, and the former works here for Arceus had no plates to negate electric attacks. The other stuff is just easy PIS inconsistency for so many reasons, so Pikachu being able to "damage" Arceus shouldn't even be true.

6.) The Type Null/Sivally stuff was already addressed in the Necro thread though. Unless something like Zekrom happens again for Pikachu, there's no reason why others cannot scale, they just simply need separate keys as someone mentioned. And it's not like Gladion and Type-Null will be actively fought by fodder. Gladion doesn't even use Type Null against anyone other than Ash, he uses Umbreon or Lycanroc against fodders (and still stomps them).

7.) Team Rocket being gags shouldnt shut down them being strong, they'd just be like Popeye or Bugs Bunny. Gag characters can still have feats. And for Ash, how would him being a superhuam even be a gag? There's billions of times where Ash shows off super-human strength, a few time thing in S/M shouldnt discourage that.

@Amexiem

I honestly do not know where it is. My best guest would be to go look in the discussions with pokemon as the topic, you can most likely find it there.

Articuno, MFTL+ Low 6-B Type Null, High 6-A Regice and other Leggendaries are above champion level through, Pikachu fighting them and then being matched and defeated by other third stage Pokémon during the journey [Examples in X/Y] proves that we should not scale the trainers to MFTL+ High 6-A leggendaries since bad scaling. [Like Sceptile defeating Darkrai]. Also there are funny things like this [At least 5-B Aron Dura via Sturdy].

The Tobias/Darkrai thing was discussed in the Lucario 7 thread so for many reasons that is PIS both ways.

Articuno and Regice are understandable since it was only like once or 2x. Type Null and Sivally are consistent obstacles for Pikachu to possibly go through in the S/M anime they show up way too often to be only 1 time specials. And with Pikachu practically being watched by Tapu Koko to be a worthy foe for it (along with Marshadow in the movie that it went to toe toe with, and Ho-Oh but thats another bag of worms) this should add more fuel to the fire. I can see why the scaling would be off, but eventually there needs to be a point where some can get scaled instead of being held down. PIS is a lot in Pokemon but not always. Or, if anything, what stops us from saying Pikachu losing to third stagers is PIS for Pikachu? If nothing got in the way Ash and Pikachu by themselves would stomp every trainer, gym leader, frontier brain, and so on that they meet which takes away the purpose of them going on a journey at all and makes for very a very bad story. iF ANYONE were to be held down, why not Pikachu every season it tags along?

If nothing got in the way Ash and Pikachu by themselves would stomp every trainer, gym leader, frontier brain, and so on that they meet which takes away the purpose of them going on a journey at all and makes for very a very bad story.
That's true despite having the experience of 6 regions, he sometimes makes dumb decisions, he is matched and loses to trainers that have only one region journey experience and went to school. Well since third stages are rated High 6-C+, Low 6-B Ash and other Champion Level trainers are possible, but just that.

@Dragonmasterxyz

I'm actually in agreement if we're basing off ingame mechanics, if not then yeah, I can't really justify a Caterpie being FTL

Dark649 said:
That's true despite having the experience of 6 regions, he sometimes makes dumb decisions, he is matched and loses to trainers that have only one region journey experience and went to school. Well since third stages are rated High 6-C+, Low 6-B Ash and other Champion Level trainers are possible, but just that.
Now this I agree to. Anything higher than that, very much against.

But yeah for the most part im starting to feel, if any inconsistent scaling is PIS for the anime, it should be in Pikachu's favor and not the other way around. It's kind of like how, for example, Ben doesn't use Alien X every time an enemy shows up cuz fights would end in a nano-second. Like Alien X, Pikachu without anything holding it back would let Ash beat every single trainer and their mother without the need of catching any pokemon, gaining experience and he'd win all the leagues with just one pokemon from beginning to end. This wouldnt make for a story at all so it would make perfect sense to restrict Pikachu if no one else (and they did this 3X from Hoenn to Unova but eh). And it wouldn't also make sense for Ash and Pikachu to purposely in-verse nerf themselves literally each season by an X power gap amount just to get a rise from fighting fodder trainers.

However maybe this should get its own thread later on so this one isn't too cluttered?

I won't be able to comment further on this until. if anything, the afternoon tomorrow.

So if this gets decided by then before I can comment any further, i'll go with the majority.

What are we waiting on with this? This is still an important thread and as such it should not be derailed any longer. We need a conclusion.

Absolutely 100% against giving pokemon ftl based off game mechanic stats. Supersonic's Soundwaves has a higher chance of missing than flash.

In Agreement: 7 (Cal, J-Man, Kukui, Overlord, Lephyr, Weekly and Kaltias)

In DIsagreement: 14 (Myself, Matt, Assault, Gemmy, Dark, Zex, Amex, Myriad, Kep, Rocker, Jelome, Blanked, LAS and FTW)

Unknow: 5 (Ever, Azzy, Ant, SD and Imagi)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back