• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible FTL Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought solar beam was only accepted as solar energy?

Kinda neutral if it is accurately portrayed as sunlight although probably outlier (for Flash) otherwise

I'm against FTL Fully-evolved Pokémon and iffy on Legendaries.

I understand that Pokémon used to be really downplayed on this site but now I feel that it is losing itself towards the opposite end.

Should this thread be staff only?

If so, i think we should let the normal users who are knowledgeable on the series speak up, since we often let SuperDragoon978 comment on staff-only DBS threads.

A bit much, imo, @Ant

While I'd have to disagree with Matt for 3rd Fulls, I do agree that we should not apply it to those weaker than that, and even then, could be an outlier (then again, I'm not sure something that's in every game could be an outlier...)

Matthew Schroeder said:
I understand that Pokémon used to be really downplayed on this site but now I feel that it is losing itself towards the opposite end.
Me too, and i'm not a big fan of scaling them from certain moves.

Flash, power gem, solar beam, techno blast . All quoted to be light .

And Erika has a vileplume, voctrebel and tangela. But watson.

Thanks dragon.

Oh yikes.

Seems like we just want to nitpick what we want to apply this to in order to save face. Many Pokemon can learn this early, with the aforementioned Volbeat learning it Pre-level 10. This would naturally make us inclined to believe that all Pokemon can dodge it.

Unfortunately unless someone can find an instance of this occurring in a non game mechanic way, I am pretty against this. I think we are trying to push how picky we can get with out scaling.

Yeah, flash obviously, power gem according to cal, solar beam fired directly off the sun , techno blast not sure , hence only I think .

@Assalt. Flash can be reacted to like most other moves, as in Gen Vi and VIi, it explicitly says that "<Pokémon> avoided the move in time with your shout!"

Solarbeam is a blast of light from a ball in the sky. Or a blast from the mouth..or face if you are Sunflora.

I think we need to wait for 2018 and that Legendary with Lightspeed attacks before upgrades happen. I feel we are jumping the gun here.

One point I think hasn't been brought up. Aside from the Gen 1 70% accuracy Flash, all these moves have 100% accuracy.

In Pokemon, the only way to avoid a 100% accurate move is to raise the Evasion stat. While it may sound like the Pokemon would be dodging the attack, it really isn't in a conventional way; the Pokemon raising Evasion just becomes harder to hit.

Let's look at all the ways you can dodge a 100% accurate move in Pokemon.

1. Double Team: Double Team leaves afterimages behind, confusing the enemy into not being able to pinpoint the user's real location. This causes the opponent to possibly miss if tracking the wrong image.

2. Minimize: Minimize causes the user to become smaller, thus making it hard to hit.

3. Acupressure: Acupressure will raise a random stat. This shouldn't count since it is purely game mechanics.

4. Moody: Moody will raise a random stat. Once again, just game mechanics.

5. Sand Veil: Sand Veil will make it harder to hit a Pokemon who is in a sandstorm. This acts as camo and makes the target harder to hit in sandy conditions.

6. Snow Cloak: Snow Cloak will make it harder to hit a Pokemon who is in a snowstorm. This acts as camo and makes the target harder to hit in snowy conditions.

7. Tangled Feet: Tangled Feet raises Evasion if the user is confused. This causes the user to move unpredictably, causing the enemy's aim to be thrown off.

8. Bright Powder: Bright Powder gives the holder a chance to dodge an attack. It blinds the enemy with its brightness, causing them to miss an attack.

9. Lax Incense: Lax Incense gives the holder a chance to dodge an attack. It makes the enemy lax and calm, making them less focused on battle and thus allowing them to miss normally unmissable moves.

10. Defog: Defog achieves the opposite of all previous. Defog causes the enemy to become more visible, thus allowing them to be hit more easily.

11. Gravity: Gravity achieves the same as Defog. Gravity holds down an enemy, causing them to be unable to dodge and thus be hit more easily.

12. Sweet Scent: Sweet Scent achieves the same as Gravity. Sweet Scent distracts and calms the enemy, causing them to be still and easier to hit.

Many other moves in Pokemon effect accuracy, but the all have a recurring event: interfering with the aim of the attacker. I didn't find a move that made the user itself more nimble or faster, as the calculation would imply.

TLDR: In order to dodge the suspected "light" attacks, the user's aim must be interfered with, not the nimbleness or speed of the dodger.

Edit: Cal, the shout quote is even more nonsensical. Either you yell at your Pokemon before the attack is launched in the first place, messing with the opponent's aim, or sound is moving faster than light.

Although, the one in which is different is Flash in which is basically a solar flare.

The real cal howard said:
@Assalt. Flash can be reacted to like most other moves, as in Gen Vi and VIi, it explicitly says that "<Pokémon> avoided the move in time with your shout!"
Also, by that logic, even Flamethrower can't be avoided. Or even Tackle.

Pretty sure they've been dodged in canon, game mechanics wise they're not possible to dodge without interference.

@Cal

Well I think that there should be a logical progression. Sound can travel faster than fire or a running attack, but not faster than light. It just seems like everything involved with dodging light would be aimdodging.

If you want to throw out all the Evasion boosting/lowering moves I presented, you will have to game mechanics, which is what this entire issue is based around.

In my opinion, I think that for now maybe only legendary pokémon should get this speed because they are portrayed equally or superior in terms of power to most ultra-beasts, I think the fact that conventional pokémon get this speed seems a little dubious to me.

@Cal

Ok, granted that is something that may come in to play here, but how far are we going to take rationalization? Any Pokemon is capable of dodging thanks to trainer bond, and low level Pokemon like Volbeat are able to use Flash. I have already outlined why I think this feat isn't legitimate in the first place, but the fact that we are going to have to purposely carve out scaling to avoid making Caterpie fly around the planet 8 times a second is trying to make this sound more believable when it really isn't.

Edit: If there is an instance in the anime or another real-time, not in-game battling, source I will bite the bullet and admit that it has merit. Until that day comes or another argument is presented, I am against this.

FTL combat speed, whatever was before movement speed.

I mean, in JoJo people doesnt fly around the planet at MFTL+speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back