• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokémon Trainer revisions (RPG Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ethan only deals with Arceus and such as an event, which is in no way mandatory to do (especially before Red as you are not required to beat that event to face Red), and thus we can't scale Ethan to things he normally can't do, as the event is limited in time
Its still something he can do

But that's not something normally done in the story. Especially since it's only an event and there's no reason to scale them based on optional events
Optional events are fully canon. Not gonna compare to other franchises rn but Silver and Giovanni’s relationship was only confirmed via event.

Optional events are fully canon. Not gonna compare to other franchises rn but Silver and Giovanni’s relationship was only confirmed via event.
Even if they are (which is false since the event is temporary meaning it's not a part of the standard story. It's not like doing an optional side quest), Ethan/Lyra still won't scale to Arceus via this event.

Even if they are (which is false since the event is temporary meaning it's not a part of the standard story. It's not like doing an optional side quest), Ethan/Lyra still won't scale to Arceus via this event.
Aight imma stop you right there. This is purely semantics rn because I don’t care about Ethan scaling to Arceus but temporary access 100% does not mean it’s non-canon and I have no idea where you got that from.
Like my man, you’re really arguing that something in the game—something in the files of the base game—is non-canon. Heck, our files even mention the Sinjoh Ruins event for Arceus, as well as the Darkrai event and the Shaymin event. The literal best you can say is that the Hall of Origin event is non-canon, which had legit merit, but then BDSP happened.

I ask what precedent are we working with regard to other RPGs and their random encounters and optional events.
Every other JRPG would’ve had this go through ages ago, with random encounters and optional events being considered back when their profiles were created.

Hey all, been a while since I’ve been on here but saw this and wanted to add a few of my 2 cents.
Apparently last anime ep gave top 8 strongest trainers ever.
Yes this is true, they’re called the Masters 8 in the PWC. However…

Anime's canon and Alan's anime only so it helps.
Alain actually isn’t anime only, his existence in the games was referenced by Steven in ORAS as someone he fought who had a Black Charizard, and Alaina the only character in the franchise that Steven has met, fought against in battle, alongside and has gotten to know who has a Charizard, and the mega evolution that makes it a black one at that.

If the most knowledgeable members of each side of the discussion here write easy to understand explanations of their respective arguments, I can ask for more staff input afterwards.

I believe most Final Fantasy scaling comes from these types of fights. For one example, most FF1 characters appear to be scaled to 2-A off of Shinryuu. In FF1, Shinryu is in an optional dungeon which doesn’t appear in all versions of the game and is one of two possible bosses you could choose between to clear the dungeon.
That is a very good example. Thank you. With this prescendent in mind, I'm fine with scaling Gen 7 and 8 to Gen 4. If anyone has any disagreements with the current prescendent, I recommend drafting a different thread to establish new scaling rules regarding RPGs.

That is a very good example. Thank you. With this prescendent in mind, I'm fine with scaling Gen 7 and 8 to Gen 4. If anyone has any disagreements with the current prescendent, I recommend drafting a different thread to establish new scaling rules regarding RPGs.
Thank you.

Can somebody write a tally regarding which staff members that have accepted what here please?

The following seems fine if we're scaling the Post-Legendary encounter mandatory NPCs as comparable.

Without using the Anime or Masters:
  • Gen 1
    • Champion Blue, Elite 4 Lance, and Alder stay at 6-C
  • Gen 2
    • Elite 4, Champion Lance, and become 6-B
    • Red and Blue 5-B
  • Gen 8
    • Piers, Raihan, Chairman Rose, Leon, Hop, Peony, Champion tournament Trainers become 2-B likely 2-A
  • Gen 3
    • Elite 4, Wally, Wallace, and Steven become High 6-A or 5-B with ORAS
  • Gen 5
    • Zinnia, B/W N, Ghetsis and Cheren, B2/W2 Elite4, Champion Iris, Colress, Benga, Lysandre, AZ become "At least 3-C, possibly High 3-A", 2-B likely 2-A in BW2
  • Gen 6
    • Elite 4, Diantha "At least 3-C, possibly High 3-A"
  • Gen 7
    • Alola Elite Four, Title Defense Trainers become "At least 3-C, possibly High 3-A"
  • Gen 4
    • Barry, Elite 4, Volkner, Cynthia become "At least 2-B, likely 2-A"

• Gen 7
    • Alola Elite Four, Title Defense Trainers become "At least 3-C, possibly High 3-A"
Shouldn't this also include Kukui? After all, he is the one who created the league, you fight him to become Alola's official first champion and he's one of the trainers you can fight where he fights for the title IIRC.

Shouldn't this also include Kukui? After all, he is the one who created the league, you fight him to become Alola's official first champion and he's one of the trainers you can fight where he fights for the title IIRC.
Probably, look at the dialogue to see if there's anything that implies he scales to the protagonist

My dude, we accept that for every major battle in a game (Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Champion, evil team leaders, etc.), the opponent scales to the protagonist. That's quite literally how it is.

Plus it's supported by the Island Kahunas fighting Ultra Beasts alongside the Tapus

My dude, we accept that for every major battle in a game (Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Champion, evil team leaders, etc.), the opponent scales to the protagonist. That's quite literally how it is.

Plus it's supported by the Island Kahunas fighting Ultra Beasts alongside the Tapus
Why is it how it is?

They have to use the Tapus to fight the UBs

Why is it how it is?
Because it's essentially a middle ground that makes sense. Sure the protagonist can get stomped or stomp them if you bring a team that's severely underleveled or severely overleveled, but that's a game mechanics thing. An average case scenario would be a rather evenly matched fight.
They have to use the Tapus to fight the UBs
They're able to fight the UBs alongside the Tapus. The Tapus provide extra aid obviously but the Kahuna's are capable of fighting UBs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back