• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokémon Trainer revisions (RPG Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it's essentially a middle ground that makes sense. Sure the protagonist can get stomped or stomp them if you bring a team that's severely underleveled or severely overleveled, but that's a game mechanics thing. An average case scenario would be a rather evenly matched fight.
Why is it a middle ground? The protagonist beating the elite four isn't a game mechanic, its part of the story. What is an "average case scenario"?

the Kahuna's are capable of fighting UBs too.

Scans?

Why is it a middle ground? The protagonist beating the elite four isn't a game mechanic, its part of the story. What is an "average case scenario"?
The player winning and the player stomping are two completely different things dude. This is what we accept on the wiki. If you have a problem with it, make a separate CRT about Elite Four scaling to the protags. This is just taking the established scaling but with new values.

You also may want to ask someone that's more well-versed in Pokemon scaling. I think I'm pretty good with it myself but I know I'm not the best

The player winning and the player stomping are two completely different things dude. This is what we accept on the wiki. If you have a problem with it, make a separate CRT about Elite Four scaling to the protags. This is just taking the established scaling but with new values.

You also may want to ask someone that's more well-versed in Pokemon scaling. I think I'm pretty good with it myself but I know I'm not the best
I didn't say we have a confirmation the trainer stomps the elite four, I said we would have no idea how well the Elite Four members do

I didn't say we have a confirmation the trainer stomps the elite four, I said we would have no idea how well the Elite Four members do
What I make of this is that major battles such as Gym Leaders, rival battles, Elite Four, evil team leaders, Champion, etc. are accepted as battles in which the opponent scales to the protagonist. Any further clarification will require someone more knowledgeable (and also someone better at conveying words)

What I make of this is that major battles such as Gym Leaders, rival battles, Elite Four, evil team leaders, Champion, etc. are accepted as battles in which the opponent scales to the protagonist. Any further clarification will require someone more knowledgeable (and also someone better at conveying words)
Where is this accepted?

Again, I don’t know, but that’s what we seem to accept. Remember that I haven’t been in Pokémon scaling for as long as others have, so I don’t know too much about when certain things that have been accepted for a while were accepted

i mean the dialogue generally suggests that the fight was good and satisfying, making the opponent feel thrilled. If it was a gigastomp by the player that wouldn't be the case for the trainers, unless you suggest that all main trainers are masochists

i mean the dialogue generally suggests that the fight was good and satisfying, making the opponent feel thrilled. If it was a gigastomp by the player that wouldn't be the case for the trainers, unless you suggest that all main trainers are masochists

That can be used as supporting evidence, but the battle being thrilling could have been because of so many other things, like if the Pokemon was having a lot of fun, maybe dodging attacks and much more

That can be used as supporting evidence, but the battle being thrilling could have been because of so many other things, like if the Pokemon was having a lot of fun, maybe dodging attacks and much more
i mean being constantly under the threat of getting one-shotted, being one-shotted is all not really fun per say. Also, if the pokemon of the leaders can dodge attacks of the player that would mean they also scale to speed which in the case of S&M, Red&Blue, D&P would make the speed of the pokemon Massively FTL+ to Infinite

It is, that's pretty thrilling
From Oxford languages:
Thrilling - causing excitement and pleasure; exhilarating.

I don't see anything pleasing about having your loved pets dodge death and get their ass beat within nanoseconds (you haven't countered the MFTL+ speed part)

From Oxford languages:
Thrilling - causing excitement and pleasure; exhilarating.

I don't see anything pleasing about having your loved pets dodge death and get their ass beat within nanoseconds (you haven't countered the MFTL+ speed part)
You know that Pokemon trainers find joy in that, right? Have you ever watched a battle in the anime?

Also, I don't see anything wrong with the MFTL+ one

You know that Pokemon trainers find joy in that, right? Have you ever watched a battle in the anime?
No, have YOU watched a battle in the anime? Riddle me this transformers fan, where tf do we see a trainer enjoy a fight where their pokemon gets one-shotted and has to evade it constantly? Cause the closest i could find to that is Ash & Goh vs Mewtwo where Mewtwo was holding back a ton and didn't one-shot anyone. Every other fight that the trainers do enjoy has them fighting for multiple minutes, sometimes nearly an hour, with pokemon constantly exchanging hits.

No, have YOU watched a battle in the anime? Riddle me this transformers fan, where tf do we see a trainer enjoy a fight where their pokemon gets one-shotted and has to evade it constantly? Cause the closest i could find to that is Ash & Goh vs Mewtwo where Mewtwo was holding back a ton and didn't one-shot anyone. Every other fight that the trainers do enjoy has them fighting for multiple minutes, sometimes nearly an hour, with pokemon constantly exchanging hits.
Cause the closest i could find to that is Ash & Goh vs Mewtwo where Mewtwo was holding back a ton and didn't one-shot anyone.

Yeah, that's one example. And why do you think its impossible to enjoy a battle you get stomped in? They could just be excited at seeing the strength of the enemy

Cause most people don't find it fun? You wouldn't say on a battle with a professional heavyweight boxer that the battle was fun when at any moment they strike once and you just lose. Even in fiction, in most canonical stomp battles between two characters, the losing character almost never finds that fun (Exception would be Goku Black when he battled Vegeta for the final time, but considering Black is a ********* that enjoys the pain to boost his power, he's clearly an exception)

Can the following mods please restate your stance on the current scaling proposal below?
The following is scaling the Post-Legendary encounter mandatory NPCs as comparable without using the Anime or Masters. Purely for the main Pokemon RPG.
  • Gen 1
    • Champion Blue, Elite 4 Lance, and Alder stay at 6-C
  • Gen 2
    • Elite 4, Champion Lance, and become 6-B
    • Red and Blue 5-B
  • Gen 3
    • Elite 4, Wally, Wallace, and Steven become High 6-A or 5-B with ORAS
  • Gen 4
    • Barry, Elite 4, Volkner, and Cynthia become At least 2-B, likely 2-A
  • Gen 5
    • Zinnia, B/W N, Ghetsis and Cheren, B2/W2 Elite4, Champion Iris, Colress, Benga, Lysandre, AZ become At least 3-C, possibly High 3-A, 2-B likely 2-A in BW2
  • Gen 6
    • Elite 4, Diantha At least 3-C, possibly High 3-A
  • Gen 7
    • Alola Elite Four, Title Defense Trainers become At least 3-C, possibly High 3-A
  • Gen 8
    • Piers, Raihan, Chairman Rose, Leon, Hop, Peony, Champion tournament Trainers become 2-B, likely 2-A

The following is scaling the Post-Legendary encounter mandatory NPCs as comparable without using the Anime or Masters. Purely for the main Pokemon RPG.
  • Gen 1
  • Gen 2
    • Red and Blue 5-B
  • Gen 3
  • Gen 4
  • Gen 5
    • Zinnia, B/W N, Ghetsis and Cheren, B2/W2 Elite4, Champion Iris, Colress, Benga, Lysandre, AZ become At least 3-C, possibly High 3-A, 2-B likely 2-A in BW2
  • Gen 6
  • Gen 7
    • Alola Elite Four, Title Defense Trainers become At least 3-C, possibly High 3-A
  • Gen 8
    • Piers, Raihan, Chairman Rose, Leon, Hop, Peony, Champion tournament Trainers become 2-B, likely 2-A
Disagree with 2-B, likely 2-A BW2 trainers, we don't use PWT for scaling.

Gen 7 Red and Blue can be 3-C, possibly High 3-A.

We do use PWT for scaling wtf

Cause most people don't find it fun? You wouldn't say on a battle with a professional heavyweight boxer that the battle was fun when at any moment they strike once and you just lose. Even in fiction, in most canonical stomp battles between two characters, the losing character almost never finds that fun (Exception would be Goku Black when he battled Vegeta for the final time, but considering Black is a ********* that enjoys the pain to boost his power, he's clearly an exception)
A lot of people do find battles in which they easily lose fun

@Gilad_Hyperstar @XXKINGXX69

Can you please summarize what issue you two are talking about regarding the scaling?
I don't really have issues with the scaling as of now, but I disagree with XXKINGXX69's saying that people enjoy being curb-stomped in battles, as in most cases, this is simply not true. Most people don't enjoy losing, especially when the winning side won by a landslide rather than the match being relatively even

I don't really have issues with the scaling as of now, but I disagree with XXKINGXX69's saying that people enjoy being curb-stomped in battles, as in most cases, this is simply not true. Most people don't enjoy losing, especially when the winning side won by a landslide rather than the match being relatively even
Is this relevant to the current proposal?

Can the following mods please restate your stance on the current scaling proposal below?
  • Gen 1
  • Gen 2
    • Red and Blue 5-B
  • Gen 3
  • Gen 4
  • Gen 5
  • Gen 6
  • Gen 7
  • Gen 8
We can just apply this after the people you tagged respond, because this is taking too long

• Gen 1
  • Gen 2
    • Red and Blue 5-B
  • Gen 3
  • Gen 4
  • Gen 5
  • Gen 6
  • Gen 7
  • Gen 8
I still think this is fine, and I still think we should have separate keys for the PWT, Battle Tree, etc.

Okay this is definitely wrong, the whole context was that Volkner was bored of all these challengers that were too weak before the protagonist came along

• Gen 1
  • Gen 2
    • Red and Blue 5-B
  • Gen 3
  • Gen 4
  • Gen 5
  • Gen 6
  • Gen 7
  • Gen 8
Agree with this, though I believe the Battle Tree/PWT should be separate keys

Thank you very much for helping to organise this thread, Firestorm808.

Gen 7 Red and Blue are required NPCs?
They're post-game, but you need to fight either one of them to get to the Battle Tree.

We do use PWT for scaling wtf
Agree with this, though I believe the Battle Tree/PWT should be separate keys
I think the scaling's fine, but I don't see anything wrong with a separate PWT Key
Like I said before, Battle Facilities shouldn't be used for scaling. Pokemon there are set to a specific level - it tests the trainer's skill, not their team's strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back