• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokémon Thread: Eternatus Edition

"Mewtwo strikes back"

Movie is literally the team rocket pursuing Mewtwo with Ash and co in the middle.

Is this false advertisement?

We'll likely never know, but let's be honest, it's not like it'll be relevant if they have taken this long to show him.

I disaIonliosite said:
The movies that came out during the Sun & Moon era were the two worst ever. Only the Movie 1 remake wasn't trash and that's because no matter how the CGI looks, Mewtwo Strikes Back is an amazing movie.
I disagree. I Choose You and surprisingly The Power of Us were surprisingly great. And the latter was one that I went in expecting to dislike.

PaChi2 said:
It also rises the questiom: where the frick is Ash's father?
I think Storyboarder Masamitsu Hidaka once said they would explore the issue if it could provide something for Ash's character. Dunno if that's still relevant for them, whether Hidaka is still part of the staff or how much things have changed, though

EDIT: Nevermind, double checked, this came out in 2008

Quick question.

How high do Pokémon amps and debuffs go in term of multipliers and high many "Stages" (That is how it seems to be put in.) would that be?

Well, it's a little more complex than that: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Statistic#Stage_multipliers

For one, stage values were slightly different across generations.

There are 13 stages. The lowest is -6, the highest is +6, & the default is 0. But Accuracy & Evasion go to different values at the same stage level than other stats.

Accuracy & Evasion go (In the order of -6 to +6) like this:

3/93/83/73/63/53/43/34/35/36/37/38/39/3
In percentages, that's roughly: 33.33~%, 37.5%, 42.8571429%, 50.0000001%, 60%, 75%, then Default Accuracy/Evasion. Once you're past 0 (Default) Accuracy or Evasion, each increase is another 33.3%. So, 133.33~%, 166.66~%, 200%, 233.33~%, 266.66~%, & finally 300%.

So -6 Accuracy is roughly 33.3~% (About a third.) chance to hit, & -6 Evasion means only being about one third as likely to evade as normal. While +6 Accuracy is about 300% (three times) chance to hit & +6 Evasion is three times more likely to... erm, evade.

The stats that aren't Accuracy nor Evasion (By which, I mean, ATK, DEF, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, & Speed.) also DO increase in 50% amounts per stage, but it's only 50% per stage at 0 (Default) or higher.

As of Gen 3 onwards, those stats roughly go:

2/82/72/62/52/42/32/23/24/25/26/27/28/2
Or, in percentages: 25%, 28.5714286%, 33.3333334%, 40%, 50%, 66.6666667~%, Default, then increase by 50% for every stage above Stage 0/Default.

Interestingly, this means stat decreases going below stage 0 change the stat by smaller amounts the further below 0 you decrease that individual stat! Ex: The first accuracy/evasion drop to a stat stage below 0 takes away 25%, but the last only takes away about 4.17%! & likewise the first, Speed or offensive or defensive stat drop takes away 33.33%, but the last only takes away about 3.57%!

So yeah, Accuracy/Evasion & the other stats have the same number of stages, but don't go to the same multipliers/amounts.

Lastly, Bulbapedia has a chart showing quotes used when stats are modified, which I find neat.

Put briefly, the chart tells us: Change to a stage too high/low is "Nothing happened", "stat won't rise/drop anymore", or "won't go (any) higher/lower". -1 is "fell", +1 is "rose"/"went up", -2 is "greatly/sharply/harshly fell", +2 is "greatly/sharply rose", "rose sharply", or " went way up", -3 is "severely fell", & +3 is "rose drastically".
Dunno if those terms might be useful if we ever need to assume a multiplier based on dialogue.

Hopefully all this wasn't too dull or unnecessary of me to go over. <//<

Speaking of which, why are TCG moves and Abilities not accepted as part of the Pokémon everything is Canon thing?

TCG is canon btw

https://www.siliconera.com/pokemon-...f-the-card-game-and-the-varied-illustrations/

-"Atsushi Nagashima, director: "At the time, I had yet to be involved in Pokemon Cards, so this is what I've heard, but it was Creatures founder [Tsunekazu] Ishihara who at the time was studying board games of all sorts. At the time, Pokemon Red & Green were still in development, but from how you could collect 151 species of Pokemon, and the game's turn-based battle system, it was very compatible with the TCG format. That's how development began, so I hear."

-"Nagashima: "Pokemon Cards are like each a page of the Pokemon encyclopedia. That's why the basic direction is to have artists draw illustrations that match the Pokemon's image. However, sometimes one Pokemon may have several cards in the same expansion, and in these cases we ask artists to show a surprising side to the Pokemon for one of them."

I think the problem was people were taking abilities that "Prevents the moves of BREAK Pokemon" or "Prevents the effects if Pokébodies" and just making them general null by leaving out the whole Pokébodies thing instead of explaining what they Equalized to, as well as making in game abilities like Shadow Force a ability that nulls to prevent damage and effects for one turn instead of the actual Dimensional Travel effect we already know is what makes him immune to harm.

So those ones were removed and no more were added, but I don't know if their was a ban on TCG stuff as their seemed to be talk of adding stuff just with more consideration and less out of context, don't know if their was another thread that did ban them or not.

Back