• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon General Discussion Thread Gen V: Sequels in Demand

Z-Moves were never an opressive force that ruined the meta and certain Pokémon's chances at being viable, quite the opposite. You could argue that for Megas, but again, it helped forgotten mons get a place in the meta. Now they're going back to PU.

Except a good amount of Pokémon that saw the light of day get thrown back into the box without it. Beedrill and Pidgeot are trash again and will never be used by a competitive player. Heck, even Charizard.

Charizard, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Mawile, Kanghaskan, Pinsir, Sableye (Kinda), Lopunny, all trash mons that became viable with Megas. Now whoops back to bottom tier.

I just hope that they spend whatever time and money they got back from abandoning this on something like story so we can return to the BW days.

Charizard is overrated that's why :v

Speaking of hakai half of Pokemons, this guys make some of good point here and here

No mega is suck tbh, but imo no mega mean the dynamax will not too broken beyond the limit, imagine mega + dynamax, brrr.....

Peter "Quicksilver" Maximoff said:
From a competitive standpoint, no megas and z-moves are a god-send. And to be honest, I've barely used megas and z-moves ingame, so I happy there removing those two things.
This.

A game with megas, Z-moves AND Dynamax as usuable mechanics? Your literally asking for the game to be so overpowered, it becomes a tutorial for you the whole ride. Not that Pokemon is even supposed to be a challenging game in the first place, but a game thats turned into 100% hand-holding is just as bad for obvious reasons. Personally, I have 0 issues with them removing megas and z-moves.

Especially given how boring and bland Mega Evolution was in the first place. Say what you want, but to me, it was a bland concept that got old extremely quickly. I see nothing likable about it besides being an additioanl temporary evolution.

DakJJn8X0AAuKKI
Mmmmmm...

It's that hard to ohko most of the Pokémon on the list.
Choice Scarf U-turn Landorus is nearly impossible to Damage much less OHKO.

You just need the right mons, that's all.

@Kukui

I agree with some of your point but calling Mega are bland and boring concept of evolution is plain wrong tbh

Aside gameplay, they make Pokemons more attractive than ever

Mega-Evos >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"IT JUST GETS BIGGER"

The only interesting thing about this new gimmick are the boss battles, and Tyranitar vs Hydreigon

Also I saw a pic offsite that went over the debacle more in depth. I can't post it here because it contains some rather...distasteful comment, but the bottom line is:

-The thing about transfering only a few mons isn't a one-time thing, it's a shift for Game Freak's entire philosophy, meaning that this is a permenant change that's unlikely to be patched.

-The ones working on S&S are apparently a secondary team, while the main team are working on Town.

-The models from X&Y are apparently exactly the same, they've just been downscaled to fit in the 3DS. Only animations would be required to update the new Pokémon.

Veloxt1r0kore said:
@Kukui
I agree with some of your point but calling Mega are bland and boring concept of evolution is plain wrong tbh

Aside gameplay, they make Pokemons more attractive than ever
Again, you can have your opinions and i'll have mine. And to me, Megas are just very bland.

I'll admit, I found them cool at first. But as you got to using them, they just became old very quickly. It was literally nothing but just making a limited number of mon evolve further, temporarily. Even Ash-Greninja was more interesting to me than Megas because of how unique it was and only for Ash (before S&M became a thing).

The only thing about Megas that was likeable was its lore about Mega Rayquaza. And it falls short there.

I can't get mad at the Town thing. They want to make a new IP as good as possible by having their main team on it and I can respect that.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
Charizard, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Mawile, Kanghaskan, Pinsir, Sableye (Kinda), Lopunny, all trash mons that became viable with Megas. Now whoops back to bottom tier.
Charizard was never trash, Stealth Rocks are just too broken.

RB Charizard: UU, but used in OU

GS-RS Charizard: UUBL basically OU.

DP-SM Charizard without Megas: NU-PUBL.

Honestly, this whole fiasco could have been avoided if they did what friggin Skylanders did and just told everyone this might happen in a previous generation

But Yobo, they couldn't have build up hype if the fans knew they were gonna cut half of the game when ported to Switch. They couldn't have baited us with a big shiny new region if we learnt about it back in 2017.

But Yobo, they couldn't have build up hype if the fans knew they were gonna cut half of the game when ported to Switch. They couldn't have baited us with a big shiny new region if we learnt about it back in 2017.
They could have foreseen the limitations as soon as Pokémon became a franchise, honestly. Even that's no excuses. Even from a mindset of being sleepy business practitioners, it makes no sense.

Veloxt1r0kore said:
Charizard is overrated that's why :v
Speaking of hakai half of Pokemons, this guys make some of good point here and here

No mega is suck tbh, but imo no mega mean the dynamax will not too broken beyond the limit, imagine mega + dynamax, brrr.....
Never trust HoodlumCalum, he has no idea what he's talking about trust me. Yeah, but now every Pokemon page has to have a seperate seperate key for the Dynamaxed version of Pokemon.

And this is bad because...?

@Pachi Peter was arguing that the lack of Mega would help the meta, when it would put back to bottom tier otherwise useable mons and solidify the place of the unaffected top tiers. Doing the exact opposite of "good things" to the meta.

Well look on the brightside. With half the roster gone, people will now actually be getting a forced opportunity to try and connect with the new mons of Gen 8 instead of filling their games up with mon from previous games.

Which to me is what I think is a good idea to come out of this.

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
Well look on the brightside. With half the roster gone, people will now actually be getting a forced opportunity to try and connect with the new mons of Gen 8 instead of filling their games up with mon from previous games.

Which to me is what I think is a good idea to come out of this.
These were the same thoughts I had... but I'm a coward and didn't want to say them.

Most poketubers only care about Pokémon as a source of income, of course they will defend the anti-consumer practices of TPCI, they are not interested that the popularity of Pokémon falls

All the good that would come from that decision is only good for Game Freak, not for us. We don't gain anything from being forced to like new mons, nor from a rushed game, nor for a smaller budget being used for the game. We just eat shit.

Back