• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Real World Page Entry Addition And Arrangement Modification Discussion Thread (ie/tldr Real World Discussion Thread)

3) Given that real world durability standards do not follow our greatly simplified system for fiction, I do not think that it seems realistic or useful. My apologies. 🙏
This is missing the point. The point here is that the shields can be used as weapons (which is primarily AP/strength purposes). By that logic, none of the IRL weapons pages should exist since they all have durability.

And even if the shields are that prevalent in fiction to where their durability/AP could be considered, a vast majority of our usually known guns, & melee weapons are 9-C. And cutting weapons are also oversimplifed to 9-C despite any calc going above/below that level out of the sheer piercing effectiveness of them. The shields being simplifed 9-C in durability should be fine for most of them since we give piercing melee weapons the same treatment.

The shields by themselves already have 10-A AP feats and Above Average Human/Athletic Human Lifting Strength feats. Riot Shields can overpower and push rioters, and the Scutum has been used to push other ancient people soldiers. Etc.

Even then, what do we do in selective circumstances where a character uses/takes pushes from a shield in verse (and ones especially portrayed to be realistic)?

This is missing the point. The point here is that the shields can be used as weapons (which is primarily AP/strength purposes). By that logic, none of the IRL weapons pages should exist since they all have durability.

And even if the shields are that prevalent in fiction to where their durability/AP could be considered, a vast majority of our usually known guns, & melee weapons are 9-C. And cutting weapons are also oversimplifed to 9-C despite any calc going above/below that level out of the sheer piercing effectiveness of them. The shields being simplifed 9-C in durability should be fine for most of them since we give piercing melee weapons the same treatment.

The shields by themselves already have 10-A AP feats and Above Average Human/Athletic Human Lifting Strength feats. Riot Shields can overpower and push rioters, and the Scutum has been used to push other ancient people soldiers. Etc.

Even then, what do we do in selective circumstances where a character uses/takes pushes from a shield in verse (and ones especially portrayed to be realistic)?
Well, thanks for backing the point up (though I should mention they usually leave out durability regarding weapons, but it could be added for shields), and thankfully you made it before the thread closes, hope Ant sees and responds to this properly before closing the thread.
3) Given that real world durability standards do not follow our greatly simplified system for fiction, I do not think that it seems realistic or useful. My apologies. 🙏
Ant, may I ask if you could respond to H3 about the rebuttal to your point, and perhaps the both of you could discuss this issue more thoroughly before closing the thread?

Last edited:

Okay. Never mind then. I trust your professionalism and sense of judgement regarding this verse, so I would like to see what you think should be done here. 🙏

Okay. Never mind then. I trust your professionalism and sense of judgement regarding this verse, so I would like to see what you think should be done here. 🙏
Technically not my area of expertise. But with another knowledgable user in weapons and preferably another staff member on the way here (so you may not have to do all the work here), I can think ahead and formulate a plan on how we can handle shield profiles.

I need information on the obstacles (if any else I don't know) and what it would take to create a weapon profile for shields. For now:
  • The format will remain the same for other weapon profiles.
    • Like scaling piercing weapons based off of their cutting effectiveness, we judge how effective shields are against withstanding piercing weapons. This is for especially cases where only info is put for withstanding piercing weapons.
      • This usually results in the weapon (i.e. shield) being 9-C in durability.
    • For AP, as stated in my previous rebuttal, we can judge the shield's AP based off of it's raw power context (feats, reliable statements, etc).
  • If there's at least 1 shield profile...
    • Rather than putting the shield profiles in the "Others" section of the melee profiles, shields deserve their own section of the melee weapons section. Shields by definition are different than clubs or swords.

Back