• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overlord General Discussion Mk.III

By clearing and conquering the Great Tomb of Nazarick, a recommended level 80+ dungeon in one attempt, the guild of Ainz Ooal Gown was rewarded with this World Item, the Throne of Kings as a trophy.

From the wiki, which it says is from Overlord Blu-ray 06 Special: Prologue (2nd Half)

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
No? Gargantua had nothing to do with the Ouroboros incident. Gargantua was gifted to the guild when they managed to conquer the dungeon that would become Nazarick back when it had only 6 levels, in their first try.
I was referring to this post, and considering the quote doesn't say Gargantua was gifted alongside the Throne, then this means he probably was obtained some other way

Unless something is said in the LN I don't remember

If you are sitting on it when the server shuts off, you and the entire guild it is associated with that is currently online will be teleported to a new world where you become your avatars, NPCs are sentient and everything is fodder in comparsion to you.

I gotta stop remembering things haphazardly while writing up an essay, Jesus.

Checking now, there actually was a twitter post by Maruyama that Gargantua wasn't given by the developers, so an even bigger oof on my part.

And no, it has never been revealed what abilities the Throne has. But it's obviously not a mobile one, so I doubt it's a weapon. It's not a part of the Nazarick defense system, not even mentioned in the "getting everyone together for a last fight in the Throne Room" scenario, so I would imagine that, perhaps, it provides more indirect benefits, or even buffs to the Dungeon itself in any number of ways.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
I gotta stop remembering things haphazardly while writing up an essay, Jesus. Checking now, there actually was a twitter post by Maruyama that Gargantua wasn't given by the developers, so an even bigger oof on my part.
And no, it has never been revealed what abilities the Throne has. But it's obviously not a mobile one, so I doubt it's a weapon. It's not a part of the Nazarick defense system, not even mentioned in the "getting everyone together for a last fight in the Throne Room" scenario, so I would imagine that, perhaps, it provides more indirect benefits, or even buffs to the Dungeon itself in any number of ways.
So the buff would only activate for the Dungeon while sitting on it? Cause the wiki says;

When the user sits on the Throne of Kings, a buff can be seen on their status screen.

That'd be interesting. Who knows, the buff might just be that you are protected from World Items, since it is also a World Item.

Blanket Guild protection from WCI? If you are gathering 1500 players/NPCs to attack this place, may as well bring a WCI or two to make it easier.

Perhaps, even though I always wonder in what way would the protection manifests in some cases. If you have the WCI that summons endless hordes of demons, they don't target me if I have a WCI? If you have the mace that grows in power, it deals 0 damage when it hits me? Obviously the Guild couldn't trespass the place affected by Ouroboros, and I doubt they didn't have WCIs by then, so the defense from their effects has it's limits, I just wonder which they are.

But when I said buffs, I thought about things like lessened money cost for creating monsters and items, reinforcing all of the NPCs and Monsters, making all the facilities inside much more efficient and just around better, stuff like that.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
Perhaps, even though I always wonder in what way would the protection manifests in some cases. If you have the WCI that summons endless hordes of demons, they don't target me if I have a WCI? If you have the mace that grows in power, it deals 0 damage when it hits me? Obviously the Guild couldn't trespass the place affected by Ouroboros, and I doubt they didn't have WCIs by then, so the defense from their effects has it's limits, I just wonder which they are.
But when I said buffs, I thought about things like lessened money cost for creating monsters and items, reinforcing all of the NPCs and Monsters, making all the facilities inside much more efficient and just around better, stuff like that.
When ÒÇîFive Element ProgressionÒÇì — one of the Twenty, just like ÒÇî╬┐ߢɤü╬┐╬▓¤î¤ü╬┐¤éÒÇì — had been used, the game company sent a message to all World Class Item holders. In addition to an apology, they also included an item as compensation. The apology went: "Dear holders of World Class Items, you should not have been affected by changes in the world, but we have learned that keeping your data unaffected will be a very difficult task for the system. Therefore, we are making a special exception and changing your data as well."

Considering this happened, the devs just might have been lazy, or the system couldn't handle it in either situation. Also, if the wiki is to be believed, they had 11 World Items, which although was a lot compared to other guilds, just sending 10 people (I say 10 because I assume the Throne is counted as well) to reclaim a mine, which would probably end up in a 10 vs an entire other Guild at best, would not have been a smart idea.

Considering the fact they have people like Touch Me who Ainz couldn't ever surmount despite knowing most, if not all about his build and powers, despite managing to do that against Shalltear who is his worst counter, I am not sure that'd be completely true. This goes double when you remember this would be Touch Me with a World Item. Plus all of the specialized combat masters of the Guild, all also with World Items.

I don't know, it just seems like there are things that World Items can't quite protect from. But that could be the lack of info.

While true, Shalltear didn't fight super smart because of this advantage she had. Ainz also buffed himself extensively and got a Super Tier spell off before the fight even started, as well as having access to his entire Guild's armory with cash shop items. Also, not all World Items are offense based, so having one doesn't necessarily give you a massive combat advantage. Touch Me also has an extreme equipment advantage, rivaling even Guild Weapon levels of power, so while I get what you're saying, I'm not sure those are completely comparable circumstances.

I could see some World Items simply being able to overpower others, considering it was one of the Twenty, but it could also just as well be the situation with Five Element Progression, where it was too much on the system (and the devs being lazy) to keep specific people unaffected, so they just didn't.

Considering how rare World Items were, maybe they also just didn't think it was worth the risk of losing them, as they would most likely drop them when they died.

lack of info? In Overlord? Why I never

You also have to remember we have no idea what did Ainz do against Touch Me. He wasn't armed with his literal slew of Divine Items when fighting her, not even his ring of ressurection or his other items, not to mention it's fair to assume Ainz tried everything, and Touch Me being Touch Me letting him buff fully isn't unlikely. The Guild's Armory isn't a big deal to me, it's main purpose was letting him **** with Shalltear mentally to force her close where he could do most damage and having the armor to not be killed by her in the meantime. And finally, I meant more you have no reason not to give Touch me an offensive World Item, and even if not he still has a World Item and you'll have to use the normal ways to kill him.

I am not sure it was lazyness. Depending the change, it could have been impractical or just outright impossible to leave those people affected without affecting their experience.

While WN Touch Me could fight a few players at the same time and win, LN Touch can fight all the Floor Guardians and roughly win, so a big drop in power between versions, so I don't think he's this Guild soloing monster you're making him out to be. Also iirc, Shalltear might be the only Guardian with a Divine piece of equipment, so now we're comparing one level below Divine to Guild Weapon level, which by the way is comparable to a World Item, so quite the difference, and he can roughly win, not a stomp, roughly win.

Of course this is Overlord, so we may never get a full explanation. Afterall, Maruyama seems to be known for saying things like, "It can be whatever you want in your Overlord!", so either he's dodging questions that will get answered, or intends on leaving things to the imagination

if it can be whatever I want in my Overlord, clearly Ainz is Tier 0

Why would roughly winning against all the floor guardians be below that? The whole point of them being stationed in each level of the tomb of nazarick wouldn't work if they were below players so easily, and the traps of the tomb aren't gonna bridge such a massive disparity in power. Not to mention I never said Guild solo-ing, just that him with a World Item would be a disaster. This is not counting the 9 other guild members coming in with their own and the fact that there's nothing telling us the full forces of the guild would be on standby there, or even most of their forces. That's what they used a World Item for, after all. And at the end of the day, isn't Ainz called abnormal for having so much Divine Gear, and part of the reason he could rank so high? Cases like him or Touch Me sound more like exceptions.

Fool, Nazarick is Tier 0. It existed before Yggdrassil and created the entire multiverse so that Ainz would be born and play. And the core? The Throne!

You guys have to remember that Ainz Ooal Gown had pretty low numbers, because of that spy incident with the other guild. Other top tier guilds might have over a hundred players.

Even with 10 guys with WCI, there's no way they could take the mine back. Even if they beat the guys stationed there, so what? They'll just respawn, and bring their entire guild to wipe the 10 out. Then Nazarick loses 10 WCI at once.

Not you guys, I am the one that said it. Not to mention that the most members any Guild had was 2ch at 3000 at its height, yet it was also made of about 1000 affiliated guilds. Meaning about 3 people per guild on average...? They too were the cause that the number of members in a guild got cut down hard, so over a hundred is unlikely number.

That said, that's simplifying things too much. For one, they decided to abuse a World Item just to cut them off an area, where they could have simply killed them if they had this much power. Literally, they used Ouroboros for this, the closest Overlord has to the DnD Wish spell. For another, you are thinking too much of fair fights. They don't need to take back the mine, they can just horribly harass the guild with hit and run tactics to impair any activity they do.

And funny, I just checked and it does seem like WCIs give immunity to Ouroboros, so it indeed doesn't seem to have limit. It still makes me curious about offensive oriented WCIs.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
And funny, I just checked and it does seem like WCIs give immunity to Ouroboros, so it indeed doesn't seem to have limit. It still makes me curious about offensive oriented WCIs.
Even if the protection from having a World Item should not be overcome, looking at the Five Element Progression situation makes it clear that there are some exceptions/limitations due to the nature of what YGGDRASIL was, a video game. With the specific reasoning being, "Dear holders of World Class Items, you should not have been affected by changes in the world, but we have learned that keeping your data unaffected will be a very difficult task for the system. Therefore, we are making a special exception and changing your data as well.", I could very well see the Ouroboros situation being similar. Now that it's no longer a game then it shouldn't matter if something like this comes up in the future.

Anything is possible, but I feel like that is the most likely reason, or something similar

Speaking of WCI protections, can you imagine if we treated having a WCI as having resistances to the abilities of the WCI, and not the WCI itself?

Ainz now has Resistance to BFR, Reality Warping, and Existence Erasure

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
I gotta stop remembering things haphazardly while writing up an essay, Jesus. Checking now, there actually was a twitter post by Maruyama that Gargantua wasn't given by the developers, so an even bigger oof on my part.
And no, it has never been revealed what abilities the Throne has.
Yeah.. I just posted that.

Anyways, the Throne abilities were already explained:

Especially the World class item that could defend against reconnaissance magic. It would be meaningless if it couldn't protect Nazarick from other World class items.

-V4

If he deployed the linked offensive spell barrier he had so carelessly done in the past, any member of Nazarick trying to cast a divination on Ainz would be very badly hurt. While he used to do that all the time because friendly fire was off, doing so now would be dangerous.

Of course, the denizens of Nazarick would not be hurt by the offensive barrier, given that they were protected by a World-Class Item, but the defense would incur a cost in gold coins. Rather, expenses like that were more painful for him.

-V13

Basically it defends the Guild Base against scrying magic, and also against anti-scrying offesnive barriers like the ones Momonga has (and the one that killed some Slane Theocracy guys back in vol 1). It also protects Nazarick from other World Items.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
and the traps of the tomb aren't gonna bridge such a massive disparity in power.
I would argue that the Traps would do much more than the actual Floor Guardians. The NPCs are just that, NPCs, but some of the traps can do things like this:

The four-colored crystal lamps on the ceiling were a type of monster, and the moment an enemy entered their range, they would summon high-ranking elementals of earth, water, wind, and fire, in addition to bombarding them with area-of-effect attack magic.

If these crystal lamps all attacked at once, the firepower they unleashed could easily defeat two parties of level one hundred players, which would be roughly twelve people.

Gurren, a half-trap monster seems more dangerous than any Floor Guardian, because it drags you into its lava river with little chance of fighting against it, being a slime and all.

There were also lots of teleportation traps, and Nazarick had multiple enviroments. It is impossible even with Divine Tier equipment to overcome all kinds of elemental damage, so you either bring different sets of Divine Tier equipment (something simply not possible except for maybe a handful players) or you are going to eat a lot of enviromental damage just for crossing the Tomb.

I think part of Overlord's appeal compared to other Isekai is that the world Ainz comes from is even more a mystery and enigma than the new world, and there are parts of it that are just as important to the plot as the new world.

How does this speed feat work for Shalltear?

The crimson figure pierced through the tornado head on and charged at high speed. With the tip of her lance pointing forward, the figure left behind a trail of heat like a jet.
Would this be Hypersonic (Moving fast enough to catch fire), or support for supersonic (Scaling to high-speed jets).

Isn't it an alternate universe thing?

Ainz didn't get any new spells while in the new world, so it should be fine anyway.

Its basically an alternate timeline where ainz arrived in new world 200 years earlier than in cannon...Hmmm if what Ive heard about it is true ainz is getting a few more resistances that will be a major help. Cant be sure till I get my hands on a translated version though.

Are you following recent Evileye spinoff? There's Elder Coffin DL ultimate ability reveal in characters sheets. Basically, the Dragon Lord can OHK anyone and devour their souls via Wild Magic spell as long as they're not protected by World (i.e WCI). If so, would it mean 5-B Death & Soul Manipulation for Overlord?

Dunno, that part of the novel is not translated yet. For all we know of, you'd need to carry WCI to defeat this 95 lvl DL mofo, overwise it's nigh-impossible. Perhaps WCI renders his most powerful ability to devour souls ineffective.

Perhaps things like Wild Magic register like WCI effects to other WCI?

And... no, not 5-B. Hax doesn't have a tiers. And the word "World" doesn't translate to 5-B prowess just because.

That's one thing I don't agree with. Okay if we talked about Ouroboros, but no other WCI seems to get on that level. Even if we take the lore of the leaves into account.

Actually due to it being wild magic it isn't bound to yggdrasils teir system, much like gazefs sword which could damage ainz regardless of its level but it deosnt matter as whatever resistance world class items offer affects things not nautral to yggdrasil

Back