• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece: Off-screen Anime Fight Revisions

Currently we don't allow for anime showings of the off-screen parts of manga fights to be canon.

However, I disagree with this.

If we look at statements mentioned in the CRT 2 years ago that forbade this from the anime staff:

But recently, we've gotten a statement from the staff of the Anime production which states
"When drawing a battle in the anime that did not appear in the manga, we will make sure we have Oda's approval, and we will express it and merge it with the manga content as much as possible," the memo reads.
The translator sums it up and says
Expectations will be high for the Onigashima Raid and it will be portrayed as complementing the manga rather than being plain filler.

What should be considered canon: Off-screen sections of canon fights that don't contradict the manga.

What should not be considered canon: Fights that are 100% anime-only and/or contain things that contradict the story itself. Examples include the anime version of Luffy vs Kaido and Smoker vs Doffy, as well as Law and Kid hurting Bigger Mom with their base attacks in the latest episode.

I mean, Oda is approving these scenes himself, so if they don't contradict the story I don't see why they can't be put in.

The notes section for the OP verse even says "Please note, the anime is not allowed to be used if the manga gives a perfect alternative for a feat."

This is for when there is no such alternative in the manga itself.

(Besides, we allow Strong World because it fits perfectly in the manga timeline among other reasons, why not this?)

In short, I am trying to improve on the previous anime canonicity thread by stating that only the anime's adaptations of off-screen sections of manga fights will be canon (provided that they are consistent with the manga, of course).

The actual scaling ramifications can be discussed once this is accepted, so please do not ask about scaling since I'll make a separate thread for it should this one be accepted.

the anime's adaptations of off-screen sections of manga fights will be canon (provided that they are consistent with the manga, of course).
Agreed.

I always have the opinion as the anime being a secondary source of information for the interpretation of a manga, as long as they're consistent with what the Mangaka was trying to portray in the manga, but didn't due to a plethora of reasons.

Alright starting off I want to make it apparent that the quoted statements used in the OP aren't real, this was already covered in the original thread. The actual statements didn't involve Wano or Onigashima at all and in fact referenced the Zou arc from 6 years ago, the actual statement being:
深澤:そうですね。回想シーンでの出来事をいかにこんなことがあったんだっていう驚きをもって見せられるようにするかですよね。あと、イヌアラシ三銃士も原作ではそんなに戦ってないんですけど、強さというかかっこよさを見せたいので、尾田さんに確認しつつできる範囲で戦わせています。

Fukazawa: Let’s see. We strive to reveal the events told through the flashbacks as surprisingly and shockingly as possible. Also, the Dog Storm Musketeers don’t fight much in the manga, but we want to display their strength and how cool they really are, so we asked for Oda’s approval to let them fight more when it’s possible.

The only thing this statement shows is that they do indeed ask Oda for approval to show extended fight scenes in the anime when possible and not what the fake statements claim of "complementing the manga rather than being plain filler" or "we will express it and merge it with the manga content as much as possible".

And while approval is asked and given that doesn't equate to those scenes then being canon to the original manga.

That’s pretty dumb considering we currently allow use of the anime to confirm things that aren’t clear in the manga.
Using "idk if that's blood" and seeing it's blood is completely different than seeing completely nonexistent feats in the manga be portrayed out in the anime

Strong World is allowed for more than just fitting into the manga.
I know. That's just one of the reasons we use.

Is there anything we can do regarding manga off-screen stuff that gets adapted into the anime and is consistent with the manga?

"Consistent with manga" ≠ "Canon enough to be used"
I would like to add some stuff from the OP verse page:

"The anime is considered secondary canon on a case by case basis. [...] Since we have confirmation that Oda approves certain scenes in the anime, we've decided to take the anime as canon in the areas where it perfectly or similarly represents the manga."

So perhaps we can do a case by case for anime interpretations of off-screen parts of manga fights?

"Please note, the anime is not allowed to be used if the manga gives a perfect alternative for a feat.The anime is mainly used for timeframes, clarifications for feats, etc. If the manga is clear enough, the anime should not be used."

This would mostly if not solely be for cases where the manga is not clear enough and doesn't have a perfect alternative/clarification of a feat.

Still doesn’t work

That is the implementation of fully non canon events to try to explain canon. Can’t do it

So BM knocking out Kidd and Law in anime with Fulgora is considered canon? Since in manga we didnt see how they got knocked out

Back