• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Anime Canonicity Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingTempest

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
The Anime for the One Piece Manga has been non-canon in this wiki, hindering us from timeframes, extensions on feats, etc. From the One Piece verse page, I quote.
  • Regarding the canon: In terms of canon material, this wiki uses the manga strictly. The anime is considered non-canon here. In the case of anime, it contradicts statements, feats, personalities, and abilities of characters in many cases. This happens with censorship, filler content in canon material, and pacing.
Examples of censorship-based contradictions: Luffy's skull was pierced through the back by one of Jango's attacks, but in the anime, he catches it with his mouth. Red-leg Zeff cuts off his leg to escape from wreckage in the anime, but in the manga, he cuts it off and eats it to survive. During his fight with Absalom, Sanji was pierced completely through the chest by a blade and dropped Nami in order to keep blood off of her dress, whereas the anime simply had him pummeled with punches, and thus couldn't hold onto Nami anymore. These are just to name a few. There are dozens to hundreds of these cases both pre time-skip and post time-skip. Examples of contradictions in the anime for abilities and powerscaling: Fujitora vs Luffy has different statements and displays Ferocious Tiger as bending space in the anime, which differs greatly from the manga. Smoker was shown capable of holding his own against Doflamingo and only fell once he attempted to protect his comrades, but the manga displays Doflamingo one-shotting him without any fight occuring. Mont-D'or's power is displayed as putting Luffy within a book in the anime and being susceptible to outside assaults without realizing it, but the manga only displays this when Luffy is staring at the pages of the book and very quickly returns to his senses once Nami calls out to him.

But recently, we've gotten a statement from the staff of the Anime production which states
"When drawing a battle in the anime that did not appear in the manga, we will make sure we have Oda's approval, and we will express it and merge it with the manga content as much as possible," the memo reads.
The translator sums it up and says
Expectations will be high for the Onigashima Raid and it will be portrayed as complementing the manga rather than being plain filler.
Which means that the certain fights that take place in this timeframe which haven't been in the manga are now considered canon, like the new Whitebeard vs Oden or Big Mom vs Kaido.

The issue is that it counts as nitpicking canon from an arc. Wano currently has no contradictions with source material except added scenes, and now that we have information that Oda is technically tied in with the production of the anime and considers events in there canon, so there should be no issue with using other feats in the anime.

My suggestion is to consider the Wano Country Arc's anime scenes and every arc after Wano in the future as canon as well unless it directly contradicts the anime like in the examples currently on the verse page. This means that feats, calcs, timeframes, powers, abilities, and more that take place within this arc should be considered canon. Statements should be taken on a case-by-case basis and should be discussed on if they should be allowed in scaling or not.

I'm not to sure. If there end up being a lot of inconsistencies (different feats, statements and so on) then I don't think this should be allowed at all. However if no large issues come from this and the feats are consistent with what's shown in the manga, I have no issues with accepting this.

I'm not to sure. If there end up being a lot of inconsistencies (different feats, statements and so on) then I don't think this should be allowed at all. However if no large issues come from this and the feats are consistent with what's shown in the manga, I have no issues with accepting this.
So far, there has been little to no contradictions of the manga canon, and with the statement of there being anime portions canon to the manga, it should work.

Hoo boy.....
This is bound to be good.

Anyway, I agree with the OP. The anime is definitely unusable Pre-Wano for innumerable reasons and inconsistencies, but in light of the recent statements highlighted by the OP, I feel like using the anime (from Wano going forward) as secondary or supporting canon is justified. This should only be revoked if massive inconsistencies occur, but so far it's only been deliberate additions or elaborations on manga events to flesh them out. This feels very similar to the Boruto anime situation as well, so yeah I'm in agreement with using the anime as secondary canon for Wano onwards.

So everything from the start of Wano would be valid? Not just top tier fights?
Yeah.

The statement seems like it talks about all of One Piece as a whole, so fights like Smoker vs Doflamingo or Ichiji vs Katakuri that are off panel are basically accepted by Oda. But we consistently get the opposite for everything pre Wano.

Everything from the start of Wano should be valid, so Luffy vs Batman + Gazelleman, the full Zoro vs Kamazo, feats of Sanji vs Page One, basically everything should be good.

Last edited:
I found the Tweet, and in my interpretation it only applies to some Zou scene. the translation of that language is horrible, you can't understand it.

Last edited:
I see, will post the translation here then:

An explanation regarding the tweets (pictured) after confirming the source:

What is said about the start of the flashback is correct, and it will start in February 2021.

With regard to the staff, it turned out that it is in the arc of Zou and is not new and has nothing to do with Arc Wano

Onigashima is only a speculation from the source, not a certainty.

- Episode 957 additions, it will become clear soon.

The tweet actually says the staff comments are about Zou, not Wano. Make of that what you will lol.

Extremely misleading for the translator to add - Episode 957 Additions, for where it's talking about Zou -_- actually just irritated me.

From what I'm pulling is that the interview comes from here.

It doesn't say that quote that's being passed around, but it refers to the anime and Oda's approval.

So yes, it seems like it's referring to Zou.

The one thing notable that I'm seeing is this quote
Fukazawa: Let’s see. We strive to reveal the events told through the flashbacks as surprisingly and shockingly as possible. Also, the Dog Storm Musketeers don’t fight much in the manga, but we want to display their strength and how cool they really are, so we asked for Oda’s approval to let them fight more when it’s possible.
So they asked for Oda's approval for extended fights, I guess.

I'm surprised that Oda didn't tackle this in an SBS.

He talks about his involvement in an old ass SBS though.

Chapter 194, Page 164​

O: Ahem. I've been receiving a ton of questions about the anime so I'm going to tell you how much I'm involved in it, to either answer those questions or just to let you know.

1. First of all, what I MUST tell you is that I am a manga artist so I don't make anime. What I can do is help out with the character designs for anime-original episodes. Nothing major. So basically, the One Piece world I've created in my manga is entrusted to others to be adapted in the anime.

2. And so, while on that topic, I want to introduce to you... "THE" UDA KOUNOSUKE! You'll see his name in every episode during the opening credits roll. He's listed as the "Series Director". That's basically "head director". Pretty cool, eh? "Head director". (DOOON!).

3. For the OP anime, there are 7 directors including Uda-san that take turns making episodes because you can't make a 30-minute episode in just one week. Every episode's director is listed at the end of the ending credits. And the person who organizes all of their work is, you guessed it, THE UDA KONOSUKE (whistle!).

4. If his opinions and mine do not meet, Luffy instantly ceases to be Luffy and the world becomes entirely different. Even if I create the most heart-wrenching moment in the manga, if the anime's "directing" is wrong, it becomes a forgettable scene. But the reason that doesn't happen, and in fact, becomes even more memorable in the anime, is thanks to Uda-san and his crew of Director-Fighters, for understanding the world of OP so well and their directing skills.

5. By "directing", I'm talking about music, sfx, voice acting and character expressions, so I'm truly grateful to all the people involved in the anime. Oh, by the way, my very own editor Habu-yan does the "scenario checking".

6. All in all, what I really wanted to point out were the credits that you audience probably ignore. There are a lot of hard working people on those credit rolls, and it'd be nice if you could become familiar with some of those names as well.

7. I know I made him sound very formal earlier, but Uda-san is really a cool, friendly man. Sometimes when I have a meeting with the anime staff, I go out and have lunch or dinner with Uda-san and the producers (they're fun, too). Usually though, I just leave the anime work up to them and enjoy it as a viewer, just like all of you do. I even cry sometimes.

8. And that concludes this SBS. See you next volume.

I guess the only point that matters in this topic is #4
4. If his opinions and mine do not meet, Luffy instantly ceases to be Luffy and the world becomes entirely different. Even if I create the most heart-wrenching moment in the manga, if the anime's "directing" is wrong, it becomes a forgettable scene. But the reason that doesn't happen, and in fact, becomes even more memorable in the anime, is thanks to Uda-san and his crew of Director-Fighters, for understanding the world of OP so well and their directing skills.

This is all it takes for something to be made canon?
One Piece falls under a category where the anime contradicts the manga for censorship since it's so explicit and they need to censor it for younger, more suitable viewers.

The average anime doesn't go through this, but OP is annoying in this aspect.

As long as the scenes in the anime correlates with the manga, i see no issue in using them.
The question is where should we start to look into the anime for supporting evidence? Zou or Wano?

As long as the scenes in the anime correlates with the manga, i see no issue in using them.
The question is where should we start to look into the anime for supporting evidence? Zou or Wano?
It would be bad to choose since we have a statement of approval from Oda for Zou scenes, so saying only Wano is like cutting that all out.

So from Zou, WCI, Wano.

Anime can help us a lot with things that we cannot go beyond prediction. We all know that Oda didn't even draw a single fight in Flashback and some non flashback fights. He was just drawn 2 sword clashes and boom, the fight is entirely skipped. I agree with all.

Last edited:
It would be bad to choose since we have a statement of approval from Oda for Zou scenes, so saying only Wano is like cutting that all out.

So from Zou, WCI, Wano.
Wouldn't the alternative be to say "Only Zou scenes"?

Also regarding this:

Aside from being pretty outdated by this point, this doesn't seem to specify that the anime's deviations are canon, but that the anime director's directing makes anime version of manga events more "memorable".

To me the most relevant part is:

First of all, what I MUST tell you is that I am a manga artist so I don't make anime. What I can do is help out with the character designs for anime-original episodes. Nothing major. So basically, the One Piece world I've created in my manga is entrusted to others to be adapted in the anime.

But again, this is a fairly old SBS by this point.

Aside from being pretty outdated by this point, this doesn't seem to specify that the anime's deviations are canon, but that the anime director's directing makes anime version of manga events more "memorable".

I also believe that the anime deviations shouldn’t be interpreted as canon. the only material that should be used are the fights that Oda didn’t bother to show us ( or showed very little of) but the anime did as well as timeframes and such. As long as it’s not inconsistent with what is shown in the manga.

I am personally fine with using the anime extensions of fights shown in the manga for timeframes and the like, in cases that seem logical, but not entirely unique ones that only happened in the anime.

It would probably be good if I call more staff members who like One Piece here in any case.

Jack vs ashura was an aberration of pure inconsistency in the scale of power established by the manga, even the choreography was altered. This change is very risky, I do not recommend it.

What about scenes that we know did happen in the manga off-screen but we're given adaptions in the anime.
They can probably be used if they seem logical, but have to be evaluated case by case.

However, I am not the best person to ask, so we should wait for more staff evaluations regarding this.

Jack vs ashura was an aberration of pure inconsistency in the scale of power established by the manga, even the choreography was altered. This change is very risky, I do not recommend it.
If it is true that blatant changes have been made, I also think that such cases should not be used.

What made it inconsistent? The whole fight was just them swinging back and forth, which was consistent in the manga as well.

Wouldn't the alternative be to say "Only Zou scenes"?
No.

Since we have confirmation that they need Oda's approval to expand on a fight, there would be no reason to bunch that up only in Zou. It's just emphasized in Zou because the whole arc is flashbacks. If anything, that would refer to every expanded fight, but with the dozens and dozens of inconsistencies prior to Zou, we're just agreeing to make it after.

Also regarding this:

That's only half of it. Oda says in the beginning
4. If his opinions and mine do not meet, Luffy instantly ceases to be Luffy and the world becomes entirely different.
This means more than just memorable moments. The world won't become entirely different because Robin had a voice crack when she said "I want to live".

Also, the last point is/should be a mistake on Oda's part. He even said in another SBS
D: Odacchi! I have a question. Do you come up with the Devil Fruit Powers that are original to the Anime show? Let me know.

O:
Basically, all that happens is that the anime's scriptwriters come up with powers that they want to use in the story, and I say "Yeah, that sounds good," or "No, sorry, I want to use that one in the future." That's all.
Showing that he actually does have slight involvement and he holds weight in the anime's decisions, even filler.

No, Oda doesn't assist in making the show, most Mangaka's don't, but he watches it to make sure that outside of the slight changes for suitable viewers, it's the same series.

What made it inconsistent? The whole fight was just them swinging back and forth, which was consistent in the manga as well.
Inconsistent in canceling that damage Jack caused with a BROKEN sickle, Inconsistent in the scene where shuntenmaru is paralyzed receiving all the blows while suffering LIGHT injuries as if he had bodily hardness, and Inconsistent in the final FILLER scene that shows shuntenmaru applying blitz on Jack, as if he doesn't have the speed to react, which is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back