• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Oh, that scan, it was the same as the other. Alright then, I thought it was a different one. Anyway, I'm fine with the Novel being used as support.
Yeah the scan doesn't make it clear that it is from the official Naruto website so I wanted to add the website too.
The fact that it never happened in the current main material is a contradiction in itself. You can't just start giving characters things they don't show in the main material that's currently taking priority. For a hypothetical example, if in the novel, Momoshiki has a jutsu that created a literal black hole that was going to swallow the planet, this cannot be added because this wasn't shown or hinted that he can do it in the anime/manga or movie that it was adapted from. That's my final take on that. If other staff agree with adding stuff regardless then I won't argue, but I'm not in favor of that. If you want to argue some minor fight cuts/alternations here or there then sure, feats that are still in the realm of the characters work because that level of power can be backed up, but abilities, that's a different story.

This site already has some issues with accepting literal Word of God statements that aren't contradict in the main material simply because it's not supported but aren't disproven either. I'd rather we not go down that route with secondary source of media being used in the same vain.
So are you in agreement with the premise of this thread? The novels will only be used as secondary support materials for already existing events in the Manga. The discussion about novel only feats can be done at a later thread with @DavidTPPM if that's okay.

Edit: My bad I didn't see that you agreed already.

Last edited:
So are you in agreement with the premise of this thread? The novels will only be used as secondary support materials for already existing events in the Manga. The discussion about novel only feats can be done at a later thread with @DavidTPPM if that's okay.
Yes, I'm in agreement with the premise of the thread.

The fact that it never happened in the current main material is a contradiction in itself. You can't just start giving characters things they don't show in the main material that's currently taking priority. For a hypothetical example, if in the novel, Momoshiki has a jutsu that created a literal black hole that was going to swallow the planet, this cannot be added because this wasn't shown or hinted that he can do it in the anime/manga or movie that it was adapted from.
It's not a contradiction though. If the anime or Manga outright said Momoshiki can't create such black holes then it would be a contradiction but them just leaving that information out does not mean that he can't do it.

Like if the manga doesn't say Momoshiki can do a backflip but then the anime shows him doing one, it doesn't mean the anime is contradicting the manga.
That's my final take on that. If other staff agree with adding stuff regardless then I won't argue, but I'm not in favor of that
Sure, no problem ig.

It's not a contradiction though. If the anime or Manga outright said Momoshiki can't create such black holes then it would be a contradiction but them just leaving that information out does not mean that he can't do it.
Yes, it still would be a contradiction. We are talking about literal events that never took place in the new primary interaction. Here's an example

A fight took place (Movie) and in it two characters battled to a standstill until one proceeded summon a blade out of thin air and split that cut the other character and the planet in half to finish the fight.

However, in the new canon events (Anime), the fight plays out in a similar manner, but now, instead of summoning a sword this time, the character gained a massive power and just one shots the other character with a simple punch, and that's it.

The final moments in the two events don't match, and thus, one endings events contradict the other, which is a literal contradiction as one never happened. So once again, if Momoshiki created a black hole in the novel (secondary), but in the anime/manga interpretation of events (the primary material) he never created one and isn't hinted at being able to do so is a literal contradiction of events that took place in both media.
Like if the manga doesn't say Momoshiki can do a backflip but then the anime shows him doing one, it doesn't mean the anime is contradicting the manga.
Seriously...? Well, one main problem here is that you forget, Momoshiki literally possesses the physicality to preform a simple backflip. The event of Momoshiki doing the backflip didn't happen in the other media but given he's still a superhuman individual in a verse filled with characters who are easily capable of performing simple backflip so it's still logical. So this argument doesn't work, while the visual event not happening contradicts what happened in the other iteration as it doesn't exist, it's a minor event that one can still find logical to happen. Creating a black hole on the other hand is not as simple as doing a backflip, not everyone throws out literal black holes willy nilly in Naruto.

Anyway, I gotta go to work soon, if no new staff comment, I'll ping some to try and get the thread moving when I return.

Sorry for the late response, work got me tired and I had to do family stuff.

@DarkDragonMedeus @LordTracer @Shadowbokunohero (I know your a content mod but you know the series so your input is valid regardless)

What do you think of the OP's proposal of using the information from the novel a secondary/support evidence from the primary material? Due to the novel being a novelization of the movie which Kishimoto was apart of, obviously the OP explains it in further detail.

Wait you meant you disagreement that seriously? I thought you were just showing disinterest. That's WILD for an admin I'm ngl…

I don't think it's that wild to believe that the novelization of the movie, not written by Kishimoto, would be retconned by the most up to date version of the continuity which is the anime and manga. Things which are totally exclusive to the novel should remain exclusive to the novel.

I don't think it's that wild to believe that the novelization of the movie, not written by Kishimoto, would be retconned by the most up to date version of the continuity which is the anime and manga. Things which are totally exclusive to the novel should remain exclusive to the novel.
The OP literally debunks all of this…
Kishimoto was stated to have been the executive producer of the movie by the official Naruto website, and explains why the minor changes between the movie/novel and the anime/manga don't prove the whole movie/novel has been retconned. The anime is also different from the manga but we didn't consider the manga to be completely retconned and non canon over them.

But that's not the wild part. What's wild is casting an admin vote which can make or break an entire verse without even remotely addressing what's actually written in the post.

The OP literally debunks all of this…
Kishimoto was stated to have been the executive producer of the movie by the official Naruto website, and explains why the minor changes between the movie/novel and the anime/manga don't prove the whole movie/novel has been retconned. The anime is also different from the manga but we didn't consider the manga to be completely retconned and non canon over them.

But that's not the wild part. What's wild is casting an admin vote which can make or break an entire verse without even remotely addressing what's actually written in the post.
I'm pretty sure there was a discussion at some point to split the anime & manga continuities and split the profiles apart. Can't remember if that went through but it was definitely on the table.

I'm pretty sure there was a discussion at some point to split the anime & manga continuities and split the profiles apart. Can't remember if that went through but it was definitely on the table.
There is no reason not to use the novel as supporting material for the anime and manga, especially when there are only minor/cosmetic differences between two iterations. Kishimoto was involved in the making of the movie as a executive producer, the official nard site also lists the novels as cannon, what is there to disagree about other then this leading to potential upgrades in the future?

There is no reason not to use the novel as supporting material for the anime and manga, especially when there are only minor/cosmetic differences between two iterations. Kishimoto was involved in the making of the movie as a executive producer, the official nard site also lists the novels as cannon, what is there to disagree about other then this leading to potential upgrades in the future?
I don't see any statements on the status of canonicity on the Naruto website. It just looks like a collection of all the different Naruto books & comics, including gag manga like Rock Lee & Pals. That same section of the website that the Boruto movie novelization is in also has novelizations for all the other Shippuden movies.

Maybe? I'm pretty new here. It doesn't exactly matter because the point is still the same. The differences were clearly not enough to consider everything retconned or a different timeline, and even if they could be now, that's probably just because the story is actually having major differences (Saradas rank, jougans existence, Saradas tomoe number, etc). And as far as I'm concerned they're not split yet so any discussion that was held isn't exactly relevant to the topic here.

I don't see any statements on the status of canonicity on the Naruto website. It just looks like a collection of all the different Naruto books & comics, including gag manga like Rock Lee & Pals. That same section of the website that the Boruto movie novelization is in also has novelizations for all the other Shippuden movies.
most of them are credit to Kishimoto and him having some sort of involvement, and these movies happed to be considered cannon on the wiki like the last

Nobody is trying to canonize things exclusive to the novel, but rather use certain statements and descriptions from the novel to support the things said/shown in the anime/manga.
Damage as a staff member I think you should carefully read what the CRT is presenting, the literal first line with bolded text is:
"certain Parts/statements of the Boruto movie novelization should be allowed to be used as supporting material for feats from the manga and anime especially when they don't contradict anything in the anime/manga."

It's not about being on the website. It's about the official website crediting Kishimoto as the Exec Producer (which is btw not the case with Rock Lee and his pals). That indicates that he had all of the control in making the movie according to his vision. Which is why the anime follows so closely to the movie. And any changes done in the anime were done to give Ikemoto an opportunity at changing the designs since he is the artist now. But that doesn't change the fact that the story remains intact between the two. And since we never got a novelization of the anime Momoshiki arc, we need the movie Novelization to add context and paint a clearer picture of what Kishimoto wanted to portray. This isn't like the non canon movies where the story is contradicted by the primary canon. This adds to it which is why there is no reason to not consider it canon. The whole concept of canon was introduced because various forms of media start to contradict the story of the manga. That is not the case here.

most of them are credit to Kishimoto and him having some sort of involvement, and these movies happed to be considered cannon on the wiki like the last
Nobody is trying to canonize things exclusive to the novel, but rather use certain statements and descriptions from the novel to support the things said/shown in the anime/manga.
Damage as a staff member I think you should carefully read what the CRT is presenting, the literal first line with bolded text is:
"certain Parts/statements of the Boruto movie novelization should be allowed to be used as supporting material for feats from the manga and anime especially when they don't contradict anything in the anime/manga."
It's not about being on the website. It's about the official website crediting Kishimoto as the Exec Producer (which is btw not the case with Rock Lee and his pals). That indicates that he had all of the control in making the movie according to his vision. Which is why the anime follows so closely to the movie. And any changes done in the anime were done to give Ikemoto an opportunity at changing the designs since he is the artist now. But that doesn't change the fact that the story remains intact between the two. And since we never got a novelization of the anime Momoshiki arc, we need the movie Novelization to add context and paint a clearer picture of what Kishimoto wanted to portray. This isn't like the non canon movies where the story is contradicted by the primary canon. This adds to it which is why there is no reason to not consider it canon. The whole concept of canon was introduced because various forms of media start to contradict the story of the manga. That is not the case here.
I'm just pointing this out but can multiple people not respond to Damage's comment. Debating multiple people at once is not ideal and it causes issues. I ask that only the OP response to questions regarding their thread and when not available, another user can explain the point if needed. This same thing happened on many other threads and it's not productive. To be clear, no one is in trouble, I just rather someone not be swarmed with multiple comments from different members that aren't required.

You're severely underestimating the changes the movie made with the anime. The movie contradicts jutsu natures of techniques, event progression, skills, powerscaling, and more.

Do you mind giving any examples?
In the Boruto Movie Novelization, Boruto’s rasengan was wind release. In the Manga and Anime, it was Lightning Release.
In the Boruto Movie Novelization, Boruto beat Shikadai while making 50 clones. The Manga agrees, but in the Anime, Boruto beat Shikadai by throwing a Kunai at the ground and immobilizing him.
In the Boruto Movie Novelization, Naruto exposed Boruto after he beats Shikadai in the Semi-Finals. The Manga agrees, but in the Anime, Naruto exposes Boruto after he beats Shinki in the finals.
In the Boruto Movie Novelization, Momoshiki attacked Katasuke head on. In the manga and anime, Kinshiki stomped on the ground and blew everyone on the ground back.
In the Boruto Movie Novelization, Naruto made 1 thousand clones against Momoshiki and Kinshiki during the chunin exam fight. In the Movie, Manga, and Anime, he gets kicked back and doesn’t do that.
In the Boruto Movie Novelization, Sasuke fought both Momoshiki and Kinshiki. In every other canon, he only fought Kinshiki.
In the Boruto Movie Novelization, Sasuke fought Kinshiki with a blade made out of lightning, or a chidori based blade as he said CHIDORI. In every other canon, he used his actual sword with lightning over it.
In the Boruto Movie Novelization, Boruto met Sasuke by trying to sneak attack him. The Manga agrees, but in the Anime, he watches him walk through the door.

Literally every canon for Boruto contradicts these events, It's not wise at all to cross the canons like this

Back