• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Anime Canonicity Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inconsistent in canceling that damage Jack caused with a BROKEN sickle,
I'm 100% sure they showed the blood done, it's just an artistic error since they show the blood flying out but not the cut.
Inconsistent in the scene where shuntenmaru is paralyzed receiving all the blows while suffering LIGHT injuries as if he had bodily hardness,
Inconsistent ≠ Added scenes. It's not inconsistent, it's just filler.
and Inconsistent in the final FILLER scene that shows shuntenmaru applying blitz on Jack, as if he doesn't have the speed to react, which is not the case.
We see him reacting prior to Shutenmaru swinging.

There's a difference between using manga as primary canon and only using anime when it doesn't contradict vs using only manga canon. Yes it has some inconsistencies and some drag outs (Luffy vs Urashima was dragged the hell out), but timeframes shouldn't be an issue minimum.

Like the swinging speed here, are we really going to cut the speed and a perfectly fine timeframe that isn't dragged out all because Red Leg Zeff lost his leg 2 different ways?

For One Piece, if it contradicts, then it shouldn't be used, but if it doesn't contradict, then it should be used.

Fujitora's statement about bending space. It wasn't stated in the manga, so it can't be used, Simple.
Sanji's lightspeed statement via the narrator. It wasn't shown in the manga, so it can't be used, simple.
Mont D'or's ability was shown to be slightly different in the anime than the manga, cut it out, can't be used, simple.
Linlin and Kaido clash and it splits the clouds. It happened in the manga exactly the same, so it can be used, simple.

We don't need to cut out an entire adaptation all because children watch it and they don't want to make it a Seinen anime.

Anime timeframes have always been fine and are always better than assumed random timeframes
Exactly.

It's better to use what's given to us that even has 1% of involvement from the author than using our own personal headcanon on feats. Anime says .1 second, Oda doesn't say "drag this out, it contradicts too much with my work",

Anime timeframes are just an interpretation of the animator of the episode tho. Not saying they cant be used but it is not like they have more value than a reasonable timeframe you can estimate from the original work.

Inconsistent ≠ Added scenes. It's not inconsistent, it's just filler.
If the additional scene contradicts what the manga shows, it is inconsistent.

Ashura has no physical hardness, it was pierced by a sword 20 years ago, and currently by a broken scythe without cutting power. He is not hard enough to stand still while receiving blows from a Yonkou commander, suffering only with minor injuries.

We see him reacting prior to Shutenmaru swinging.
Jack attacked before ashura moved. Not even in the first confrontation, where Jack was sitting with his guard down, did he stop reacting. it makes no sense.

I agree to use scenes that were off-panel (like Oden vs WB) in the manga, not least because Oda himself sees no problems with the anime additions.

But at the same time, if a scene totally contradicts the original material or has replaced a fact, I believe that it should not be taken into account.

It depends on the scene for me. To get a better timeframe of a fight, such as kaido/big mom's clash. For things that are from the manga but have a timeframe in the anime to understand it, makes it way more reasonable to use.

I disagree because of the excess of arbitrariness about the animation that the staff has, capable of creating things like oden gaining momentum IN THE AIR without knowing geppou.

I mean, we know characters are capable of using stuff like that on their own (Luffy not knowing the speed technique but coming up with basically the same thing), so I wouldn't put that out of the question.

I disagree because of the excess of arbitrariness about the animation that the staff has, capable of creating things like oden gaining momentum IN THE AIR without knowing geppou.
That's why it wouldn't be applied because it contradicts the sequences in the manga. As long as it is something that doesn't, and has extra timeframe, but doesn't contradict moves, or story, it should be fine, such as Kaido and Big Mom clashing.

That's why it wouldn't be applied because it contradicts the sequences in the manga. As long as it is something that doesn't, and has extra timeframe, but doesn't contradict moves, or story, it should be fine, such as Kaido and Big Mom clashing.
But what is being proposed is exactly that: the acceptance of additional scenes that are not in the manga, without contradiction.

Oden with geppou is in the anime, but it is part of an ADDITIONAL scene that does not contradict the manga.

But what is being proposed is exactly that: the acceptance of additional scenes that are not in the manga, without contradiction.

Oden with geppou is in the anime, but it is part of an ADDITIONAL scene that does not contradict the manga.
Then we don't include it, since it's not in the manga, those CERTAIN parts should not be allowed. However, similar sequences with better timeframe around them to give a better understanding throughout a topic should be accepted. New techniques like Oden using that obviously wouldn't be included. Things that can be included are things like Kaido and Big Mom clashing, and other things that cannot be included are the entire anime sequence of WB Vs Akainu, it's simple.

Last edited:
I don't see a need to scrutinize this to oblivion. Just include those parts that are shown in the manga, same sequences but if the timeframe is extended with nothing new, such as oden using geppou, then it is completely fine. Simple way to use this.....

I understand, but I still disagree with the idea. There is simply no way to measure, other than OWN TASTE to decide if what happened between Bigmom x kaido in the anime is acceptable, and the akainu vs WB sequence is not.

For example, if we were to discuss the canonicality of WB vs akainu, it would be a general confusion, as there will be Akainu fans who would gladly accept that filler, different from the yonkoutard.

I understand, but I still disagree with the idea. There is simply no way to measure, other than OWN TASTE to decide if what happened between Bigmom x kaido in the anime is acceptable, and the akainu vs WB sequence is not.

For example, if we were to discuss the canonicality of WB vs akainu, it would be a general confusion, as there will be Akainu fans who would gladly accept that filler, different from the yonkoutard.
We're doing Zou and above, so WB and Akainu wouldn't matter.

We're using feats for timeframes, so Bigmom x Kaido's initial clash, which was canon in the manga, and the feat that can be pulled from it, works for timeframes.

We can argue if anime only fights are canon later, but the priority now is for fights and feats that are both in manga and anime to be allowed for timeframes and such.

We're doing Zou and above, so WB and Akainu wouldn't matter.
It was an applicable example for the entire manga, as one piece is a battle shounen.

We can argue if anime only fights are canon later, but the priority now is for fights and feats that are both in manga and anime to be allowed for timeframes and such.
I agree with this speech, because he doesn't use: "Manga doesn't belie, so it's canonical".

That's fair.

So, have most of us come to a consensus? Use the anime for timeframes of feats that don't contradict the source material? If it contradicts, don't use it?

My response is pretty much what KingTempest just said above lol.

"We're doing Zou and above, so WB and Akainu wouldn't matter.

We're using feats for timeframes, so Bigmom x Kaido's initial clash, which was canon in the manga, and the feat that can be pulled from it, works for timeframes.

We can argue if anime only fights are canon later, but the priority now is for fights and feats that are both in manga and anime to be allowed for timeframes and such."

That's fair.

So, have most of us come to a consensus? Use the anime for timeframes of feats that don't contradict the source material? If it contradicts, don't use it?
100% I agree. This would apply for fights such as Kaido and Big Mom, and the timeframes used in the anime for that fight don't have anything contradictory, so something like that would work.

That's fair.

Might as well just use the whole anime then? If we are only using timeframes for feats that don’t contradict, we can just walk right past the feats do contradict for the whole show.

Might as well just use the whole anime then? If we are only using timeframes for feats that don’t contradict, we can just walk right past the feats do contradict for the whole show.
Does that include using timeframes that give unfavorable results? Because hoo boy, there's some slow episodes of One Piece at times.

Does that include using timeframes that give unfavorable results? Because hoo boy, there's some slow episodes of One Piece at times.
Post Zou, if it's not obviously slowed down like Zoro and Pica (how it was fast as hell then slowed down and stayed in mid air for like 10 minutes), then it's fair.

I'm counting votes now, someone can vote for that if they want to

Agrees with Zou and Above: StrawHatArslan, Voltairee, Karlsefni, DemonGodMitchAubin, Ryuga21, Celestial_Pegasus, Axxtentacle, Eminiteable, joshpiece,
Agrees with the Entire Series: Donquixote_DeadPanky
Disagrees:
Neutral: Damage3245, DarkDragonMedeus

This is just from what I've picked up, inform me if I placed you in the wrong place

Agrees with Zou and Above: StrawHatArslan, Voltairee, Karlsefni, DemonGodMitchAubin, Ryuga21, Celestial_Pegasus, Axxtentacle, Eminiteable, joshpiece,
Agrees with the Entire Series: Donquixote_DeadPanky
Disagrees:
Neutral: Damage3245, DarkDragonMedeus

This is just from what I've picked up, inform me if I placed you in the wrong place
Not sure if I need to be a staff or not but I would agree with the entire series since it does give you more info then the manga does sometimes and oda said that he watches the anime and if he's fine with the anime why shouldn't we? 🤷‍♂️ if there is proof with oda not wanting something added in the anime and they still put it in then I would say only Zou and above.. 😁👍

I personally don't see any evidence that points towards the entire anime being canon, but Zou stuff does definitely have Oda's approval, so put me on that side.

I don’t get it... If we were to use fights that only appeared in the anime i would agree on using the beginning of zou and onwards. But since we are agreeing on only using the fights that appeared both in the anime and manga and ignoring any anime feats that were the extra or had contradictions , what difference would it make if Oda approved it or not? And what difference would it make if we used scenes from the entire show?
The anime staff told us that the approval was for extra scenes that didn’t appear in the manga, why would Oda need to approve animated scenes that are a exact copy of the original work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back