• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with some of the statistics ratings in One Piece profiles. If what I wrote has been discussed in other CRTs, just post the link to that CRT.

Sakazuki
As far as I understand, the reason why Sakazuki's AP is scaled to Whitebeard's Earthquakes AP is because in canon sources, Magma Devil Fruit is called the fruit with the strongest attack power many times. From here, Magma Fruit>Earthquake Fruit, then Sakazuki and characters like Aokiji who scale from Sakazuki would also be 5-C. I find this logic wrong. Akainu's fruit allows him to use magma hax, and magma is a hax that works like a kind of durability negation. I checked the Magma Manipulation page and I was surprised that it didn't say durability negation. I think it should be a kind of dura neg since it can melt the opponent like Acid Manipulation. So Akainu has a stronger attack with dura neg than WB's earthquake fruit. Similarly, WB's physical strength should not be measured by the strength of his earthquakes. In short, I think it should be rated as follows:

• Whitebeard and Blackbeard earthquake fruit users are 5-C with the AP of earthquake fruit, not 5-C physically. Sakazuki's fruit is also the strongest attack fruit due to its melting and heat. It does not scale to Earthquake fruit in terms of AP.
From what I understand, most characters in the series scale to Whitebeard's 5-C. That's why the Magma fruit>Earthquake fruit statement is such an important and debatable statement.

5-C WB?
I also find WB's 5-C suspicious. Even if Sengoku and Tsuru knew how powerful WB was, they might still have used exaggerated sentences. Or they are talking about Marineford here, not the world. Considering that Sengoku cares a lot about Marineford, it is very normal for him to react like this to a power that can destroy Marineford. With the word Sekai, he might not be referring to the world, but to Marineford and the marines in it.

Sometimes the word conquer can be translated as destroy. For example, in the Naruto series, in the expressions about Orochimaru and Sasori's power, they translate it as "destroyed the country". But destroying here does not necessarily mean destruction. Their conquests and lootings are also considered as a kind of destruction. Sengoku may have said that this man is so powerful that he will invade the world. It is possible to think that WB could have done something like this if he wanted to, but did not. He is not a malicious person, he is a fatherly man.

Also, the praises about the power of most characters in the series who are close to WB are far below 5-C. It is said that an angry Big Mom can destroy the island. It would be an exaggeration for WB to be billions of times stronger than Big Mom. When Mihawk cut the iceberg, people were very surprised. If I remember correctly, Garp, who can fight Kuzan, was taking damage from the BB crew member who can turn into an island. So it makes more sense for WB to be 5-C only with the power of the earthquake fruit. With his physical AP, he should still be in the league of characters like Mihawk, Big Mom, Old Garp.

It was also stated that Imu's weapon can flood the world, and flooding the world is a feat that corresponds to High 6-A. If we consider that Imu's weapon's power will be greater than WB's, shouldn't WB fall from 5-C? Most characters in the series will be negatively affected by Imu flooding the world. Considering the difference between 5-C and High 6-A, there is no reason not to take this anti-feat seriously. For example, if a 2-C character had stated that he would die if he fell off a cliff, we could have called it P.I.S. But the difference between 5-C and High 6-A is not as big as 2-C and 9-C, and considering that Eichiro Oda specifically gave a weapon that could flood the world to probably the final villain of the series, isn't the author himself giving a potential at most High 6-A?

Finally, shouldn't destruction by earthquakes be considered environmental destruction?

Agree:
Neutral:
Disagree:

I think your interpretation would only make the slightest sense if the magu magu no mi was the only fruit that ignores durability, Since it is not that the statement is in fact referring to attack power and not hax (it would not make sense to believe that magma is a hax that generates more damage than a black hole or literal EE lol).

I also find WB's 5-C suspicious. Even if Sengoku and Tsuru knew how powerful WB was, they might still have used exaggerated sentences. Or they are talking about Marineford here, not the world. Considering that Sengoku cares a lot about Marineford, it is very normal for him to react like this to a power that can destroy Marineford. With the word Sekai, he might not be referring to the world, but to Marineford and the marines in it.

Sometimes the word conquer can be translated as destroy. For example, in the Naruto series, in the expressions about Orochimaru and Sasori's power, they translate it as "destroyed the country". But destroying here does not necessarily mean destruction. Their conquests and lootings are also considered as a kind of destruction. Sengoku may have said that this man is so powerful that he will invade the world. It is possible to think that WB could have done something like this if he wanted to, but did not. He is not a malicious person, he is a fatherly man.

Sengoku did explicitly that WB's quake fruit had the power to destroy the world, neither he or Tsuru never mention Marineford in their sentences, neither they mention anything about him conquering the world, they always focus on his destructive power.

Akainu did mention to Whitebeard that if he didn't hold him back he would have destroyed the island, but nothing in the statement suggest that WB's its somehow best DC and its more like treated as a side effect of WB not holding back.

Finally, shouldn't destruction by earthquakes be considered environmental destruction?
Not necessarely, we do know that both Marineford and Oden's flashback he show to be able to quakes in a physical confrontation, by infusing in either his fists or his Murakumogiri, meaning his DC via quakes should generally scale to his AP and Striking Strength.

Unless it is show later that for causing world wide destruction Blackbeard need to perform a special final move that in no way can't scale to his regular AP, i think ED can't be apply in this case.

The powers of devil fruits can increase as their users develop them. If the attack power of the fruits can grow, then how can the magma fruit consistently be considered as having the highest attack power? For this reason, I don’t find the phrase 'the strongest attack power fruit' to be accurate. In the manga and supplementary sources, there are constant references to the destructive nature of magma, emphasizing that it can destroy anything in its path. I believe this statement is more of a reference to the devastating power of magma itself

I don't think you understand where the 5-C value comes from.
Where exactly does 5-C come from? When I look at the verse profile, I understand that it comes from this calculation.
Sengoku did explicitly that WB's quake fruit had the power to destroy the world, neither he or Tsuru never mention Marineford in their sentences, neither they mention anything about him conquering the world, they always focus on his destructive power.
What I mean is: can't the sekai mean the community and not the world? In other words, what Sengoku means is that this man destroys the community. What he means by community is the marine community and the marineford they are in. I find it strange that Sengoku and Tsuru mention the planet. I saw a comment on the internet before that all the world references in the one piece series refer to "world government". I will re-read Enies Lobie and check this. If so, then what Sengoku means by world is the world government or marine community as I stated.

What I mean is: can't the sekai mean the community and not the world? In other words, what Sengoku means is that this man destroys the community. What he means by community is the marine community and the marineford they are in. I find it strange that Sengoku and Tsuru mention the planet. I saw a comment on the internet before that all the world references in the one piece series refer to "world government". I will re-read Enies Lobie and check this. If so, then what Sengoku means by world is the world government or marine community as I stated.

Read this thread.

I firstly want to say that I disagree with the CRT proposals for the reasons outlined above before I respond to a post. I don't have much to say about the original post that hasn't been said, but did want to contribute to the conversation, if I could.
Possibly? I'm not a native Japanese speaker (and barely speak it at all), so it is possible that one could use a term which means "world" to mean community. For me, what it comes down to is how Sengoku saying that Whitebeard could destroy the world is presented. I apologize, I am not a native Japanese speaker, and it doesn't look like this is part of the OP's excellent variety of statements from the One Piece manga, but I do have access to the Viz translation for Chapter 552. I'm not sure if Sengoku's warning speech about Whitebeard has been otherwise translated, and would completely understand if that is necessary in that case, but (according to Viz's translators), it reads as follows:

""He's the quake man who ate the tremor-tremor fruit... Edward "Whitebeard'" Newgate! The fact that we outnumber them doesn't guarantee our victory! They could still wipe us out! That man... Has the power to destroy the world!"

What this statement does (if it has been judged to be accurate) is introduce a man with the power to manipulate tremors to such a degree that he can create tsunamis through seismic activity, and then elaborate that not only could that man wipe out the Marines, but destroy the world. It appears to me that Sengoku is explicitly differentiating the existence of the force at Marineford (which is intended to end the bloodline of Gol D. Roger at any costs, leading to Sengoku saying they were willing to commit to an "all out war" with Whitebeard in order to accomplish the task) with the future physical state of the world in general. Sengoku could also be describing more than just the force at Marineford with "us," which is frustratingly not very concretely defined and could encapsulate the entirety of the World Government. I think, considering that, it would be as reasonable to consider Sengoku contrasting "wipe us out" with "destroy the world" with him placing the Marines/World Government under the world (in terms of size, at least) in general. I think that, given the context that the scene provides to the statement, there are two potential options for how we could interpret what Sengoku is saying.

1: Wipe us out equates to wiping out the Marines, and destroy the world equates to destroying the World Government.
2: Wipe us out equates to wiping out the Marines and World Government, and destroy the world equates to destroying the planet.

I'm leaning more toward option 2, due to two reasons. The first is that Sengoku's statement started with him describing Whitebeard's ability to manipulate tremors and cause earthquakes, while the destructive results of him doing so bore down on Marineford. This, I believe, is where we learn the name of Whitebeard's fruit and how it specifically allows him to destructively manipulate the earth. The second is that destroying Gol D. Roger's bloodline once and for all coincides with the ultimate goals of both the Marines and the World Government, with the Marines as the ability to militarily enforce the will of the World Government. As such, wiping out the marines would be tantamount to destroying the world, as any government which does not have the ability to enforce its laws is a government in name only.

In summation, I would support the interpretation that Sengoku was talking about Whitebeard destroying the planet as compared to him discussing destroying a community. That being said, I might not be using the most accurate translation, and I'm definitely open to considering more things should they arise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back