• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lazy Pokemon Profiles - Why Are We Linking Movesets Offsite?

Assaltwaffle said:
If we accept egg moves, which would be trainer interference, there is no reason to not use TM/HM moves. Personally I think it is fine to remove egg moves and only use level-up moves.
in recent games is possible to find wild pokemons that have egg moves

That still sugests trainer intervention. What's happens when a breeder is done getting the best possible baby mon? They release most if not all of the others. GameFreak has been including fan stuff more and more in the games recently.

@Assaltwaffle:

If my memory serves, in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, it's been demonstrated that some wild Pokemon ( Hidden Pokémo ) can be encountered knowing Egg Moves.

Also: In Pokémon Sun, Moo, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moo, Pokémon obtained via Island Sca will know a certain move they would normally only know as an Egg Move.

It may be reasonable to assume if some Pokemon can be found knowing Egg Moves in the wild, other species of Pokemon can, too.

Also, IIRC, it has been possible for move reminders to teach a Pokemon forgotten Egg Moves.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Egg_Move

ApiesDeathbyLazors said:
That still sugests trainer intervention. What's happens when a breeder is done getting the best possible baby mon? They release most if not all of the others. GameFreak has been including fan stuff more and more in the games recently.
Are you saying it's not AT ALL possible for a Charizard and Dragonite to ahhh..."hook up" and produce a baby Charmander that knows Outrage in the wild?

UMM Charizard and Dragonite can't be found in the wild

Not saying it's imposible, just very unlikely. Though I guess that's why they would be rare/need specila method to find.

ApiesDeathbyLazors said:
UMM Charizard and Dragonite can't be found in the wild
Not saying it's imposible, just very unlikely. Though I guess that's why they would be rare/need specila method to find.
I think Pokemon like Charizard and Dragonite not being found in the wild can writen off as a game mechanic, and the fact that possible at all is a good enoght reason to have egg move's on their profiles.

Neutral about this, through i will have to act if certain conditions are met.....

Landon Avery said:
Reppuzan said:
@Imaginym
The Egg Move suggestion seems reasonable.

TMs/HMs should be fine if the Pokemon Trainer is known to use them.

Move Tutors are a no unless the trained Pokemon is known to use them.
While we are the subject of TM's/HM's, I acually have a proble with not alowing those move's to be added to the individual Pokemon profiles. Why can't we have a key that seperates what wild pokemon can do and what trained Pokemon can do?
Anyone have an opinion on this...like, at all?

I'm pretty sure that the Egg Moves were accepted a long time ago, but well...

(Also OP and Dragon seems right)

YOQSE TIO XDXD

Firstly, I agree with Reppu on the profiles, but I am also guilty on the fact that profiles have the link. For starters, I didn't necessarily start the trend. I mean, our Pokémon verse page links not only Bulbapedia, but the Pokémon Wiki (I personally think it should say "Gotta Catch 'Em All!"). Anyway, when I make profiles, sure, I'll normally put the moves. However, there's quite a few times where I make them at eleven at night, or during work hours. I want to get sleep/not get fired. I don't have time to look up every single move and elaborate on it every time. And for Pokémon like Scizor and Togekiss, where the movesets change drastically upon evolution, it gets hard (and that's not even counting egg moves). Don't get me wrong, it's wrong to do so. I just wanted to provide reasoning.

My idea was doing it as so. I'll use Pidgey as an example.

Wild Pidgey:

(All moves Pidgey can learn naturally)

Wild Pidgeotto:

(Moves Pidgeotto can learn naturally but Pidgey can't)

Wild Pidgeot:

(Moves Pidgeot can learn naturally but Pidgeotto and Pidgey can't)

Tamed Pidgeot:

(TM exclusive and Breeding exclusive moves)

It would probably be a bit much to have a seperate wild and tamed for the pre-evolutions, but that could work too.

About the TM/HM issue, another thing that should be addressed is what about pokemon from the anime?

TM/HM's are completely nonexistent in the anime, leaving only move tutors (ex: Ash's Buizel learning Ice Punch or Pikachu learning Iron Tail) at best. Any move that would normally be taught by either can be naturally learned by pokemon in the anime canon.

@Cal

Not according to Bulbepedia they do. The rare mention your talking about only comes from the one-time anime version of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Team Go-getters out of the gate! (Reminds me, these guys should have pages too...) And the only other time you could possibly count is Origins.

So far, they have absolutely no ties or relations to Ash's universe.

Screenshot 20180421-161348

The real cal howard said:
I'm against tabs for wild and tamed. Too much work, format will look weird, and not enough payoff.
Yeah, but that wouldn't be fair to Pokemon. If Naruto got a new form that gave him 20 new super powers would that be a valid excuse to not add those powers to his profile?

Don't we already treat the profiles as if the Pokémon were trained.

Kind of off topic, but I also don't like how we assume that a "tornado-like winds" statement is automatically comparable to a tornado that tears through entire towns. The game says gust is a tornado, therefore 8-A. That's a pretty huge leap in logic.

Yup, most Pokémon profiles are scaled from being trained at the same level of the 8 Gym to Elite 4's, but mainly from the Gold Rank Charizard that did the feat.

On the topic of Trained and Wild mons, I have a problem with Mega Evolutions. They function the same as Z-Moves which we appaerently don't allow. Both require a trainer's intervention. I can agree with egg moves getting a pass, but that really seems like picking one over the other just because.

Except that when a Pokémon has an exclusive z-move, we allowed t, and we never had a battle where a Pokémon (excluding Mewtwo and Rayquaza) could Mega Evolve mid battle.

You guys are applying too much semantics to this.

Yes, my apologies for derailing it a bit. I think we all get the point here.

The line that hits the hardest is "we are an indexing site". Why make a profile if you're just going to copy and paste info from other wikis?

Verses like Nanatsu no Taizai and others have informations ripped from other wikia's but don't worry i'm planning to fix that, and i will stop derailing.

Back