• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lazy Pokemon Profiles - Why Are We Linking Movesets Offsite?

Reppuzan

VS Battles
Retired
I've had a particular bone to pick with the vast majority of our Pokémon profiles for the longest time.

Instead of listing the abilities and moves a Pokémon can naturally learn under Attacks/Techniques, the majority of our Pokémon profiles link to Bulbapedia instead of actually doing the job they're supposed to.

This is doubly obvious on our Trainer profiles, where the Pokémon have canonical movesets that are limited to four moves each. This should make it even easier to list out these moves.

The profiles that do were either edited by me or by some other conscientious user.

But more often than not, the latter's attempts at helping involve ripping text directly from the games rather than actually paraphrasing like we're supposed to under our Anti-Plagiariasm clause.

Seriously, this has to stop. It's lazy, sloppy, and quite frankly stupid. This is an indexing wiki. We shouldn't have to outsource our work and force users to go to another site to learn about a Pokémon. In addition, Bulbapedia takes into account game mechanics that we don't (i.e. Move Priority), making it even more misleading.

If you're not going to put in the effort to write sixteen bullet points, then please don't make the profile.

I think that you can highlight this, yes, but remember to remove the highlight once the thread has received the intended effect.

I agree with the OP.

Dragonmaster is right It's not in anyway that serious for a mass profile deletion.

I agree with the OP. Although we must differentiate listing most of the important moves and linking Bulbapedia for the rest from just leaving a link to Bulbapedia and being blatantly lazy.

There's also the problem that alot of the Pokemon that do have their moves listed don't have ALL of their moves listed mainly egg moves which were apoved some time ago, and the power's and ability's that would also be added to their profiles as a result.

Someone beat me to it. This has been bugging me too for a while now. Many profiles also seem to have arbitary moves and even items listed.

I agree with the OP and with Dragon. Mass-deleting all Pokémon profiles is completely disproportionate in relation to the problem here

@Landon

I can add Egg Moves as necessary, but it's still no excuse just to outsource the work that we should be doing.

i agree with the OP, we should list the moves of the pokemons in their profiles and a description of what they do

Fair and reasonable. But what's exactly the idea?

What about Trainer-Pokemon whose movesets change over the course of the series? And what about non-Trainer, regular Pokemon? Isn't the 4-move-limit a game mechanic that shouldn't be counted in the profiles?

@Golden

We need to revise all of our Pokemon profiles so that they actually list the moves the Pokemon uses rather than linking them offsite.

We go by what the Trainer's teams typically use. Yes, they're game mechanics, but at the same time they're what they're most likely to use and lead with.

So the stance on the 1 to 4 moves they have in their trainer encounters should be something like:

"They know at least these moves, & potentially other moves learned by level-up & potentially egg moves. However, the moves they're shown to know in these encounters are the ones they are most likely to use."

Is that correct?

Also, what's our stance on canonically trainer-owned Pokemon & TMs/HMs & Move Tutors?

@Imaginym

The Egg Move suggestion seems reasonable.

TMs/HMs should be fine if the Pokemon Trainer is known to use them.

Move Tutors are a no unless the trained Pokemon is known to use them.

I thought we only listed level up moves because every thing else required the intervention of a trainer, and most vs threads are with wild mons.

Matthew Schroeder said:
I'm pretty sure some of those Ahriman can't do in the Tabletop tho.
It's all stuff he's been able to do on the tabletop, actually.

Each edition drastically changes what psychic powers can be used in the game, despite keeping the powers themselves canon. 8th would be the biggest difference, with every army only using their own table (or in rare cases "tables"), with a single power being the only universal one in the entire game.

When Ahriman uses one of these disciplines in the books though, he rarely ever says what it is. Not his style.

Reppuzan said:
@Imaginym
The Egg Move suggestion seems reasonable.

TMs/HMs should be fine if the Pokemon Trainer is known to use them.

Move Tutors are a no unless the trained Pokemon is known to use them.
While we are the subject of TM's/HM's, I acually have a proble with not alowing those move's to be added to the individual Pokemon profiles. Why can't we have a key that seperates what wild pokemon can do and what trained Pokemon can do?

@Assalt

Not really. Most fully evolved Pokemon only have natural movesets between 15-25 moves if egg moves are factored in.

I was thinking all moves. Why are we including egg moves again? That assumes they have been specifically bred and aren't fully wild.

@Assalt

I either wasn't on or don't remember that thread, so I don't know how we came to the conclusion that we accepted Egg Moves.

I still don't want to include TM Moves.

If we accept egg moves, which would be trainer interference, there is no reason to not use TM/HM moves. Personally I think it is fine to remove egg moves and only use level-up moves.

Back