• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Last Thread (Shinza shit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dude the translation is lmao

from your post: "The snake was eternally insane. At the end of his lucid thoughts that exceeded the limits of a billion (億), he has arrived at a state of foolishness.

All that is left is the delusion that has become a shadow that only flows out and covers the universe (宇宙). His reason has been gone for a long time, and now there is only one thing left."

Inserting the same paragraph into DeepL:

"The snake continues to go mad forever. At the end of his penetrating thought and knowledge that exceeds the limit of a billion, he has arrived at a state of stupidity.

All that is left is the delusion that has become a shadow that only flows out and covers the universe. Reason was lost a long time ago, and now there is only one thing left."

Funny thing, your "translation" literally removed 知識/chishiki knowledge.

additionally in the first paragraph, your translation is making it sound like Mercurius is the direct objective, with what "he has arrived at a state of foolishness" but that so freaking wrong with the のは愚の境地/ no wa gu no kyouchi as that means the entire half is talking about Suigin lucid thoughts

Sorry but this machine translation is a bs and i can't believe everyone is swallowing it

But sure i am mocking for pointing that out. I'll just let this go through

Well, I agree that machine translations are generally unreliable.

Because is the only way we can get an explanation for japanese stuff.

EDIT: I mean, you don't know japanese nor do I.
Then just don't use a machine and don't try to comprehend the verse until

A. It gets translated

B. Someone who is knowledgeable in Japanese takes a look?

Machine translations are notoriously inaccurate, why would we ever use them even as a last resort?

I have... no interest in Shinza, however I do want to give my thoughts.

I spoke to QB, and he mentioned he actually uses dictionaries. For those who don’t know (and I have come to know), going from dictionary to text is very difficult, and almost torturous. Even if he used mTL, I don’t think his efforts should be discarded entirely, especially as someone who’s started the language themselves, and has started to identify kanji personally.

Then just don't use a machine and don't try to comprehend the verse until

A. It gets translated

B. Someone who is knowledgeable in Japanese takes a look?

Machine translations are notoriously inaccurate, why would we ever use them even as a last resort?
Did I say that I use a machine to translate from japanese? No. If you want to translate a whole phrase then keep wanting... because it may be not accurate but you can take "word" by "word" and see what do you get. And that's something you can do with whatever language you think about.

Well, you could ask in our official thread for this purpose, but our main translator Qliphoth_Bacikal seems to have quit due to too many continuous requests.

The translation used is QB's, and although it is my fault for not double checking, it is what Sleepy is reproaching here.

Imo machines are tools, just like dictionnaries or whatever else, so using them isn't inherently good or bad.
Depending of them is. However Qliphoth does have japanese knowledge and his translations still allow others to understand the general context.
I'm not sure that discarding everything not word-perfect or with a different phrasing is good, since pro translators do it aaaaall the time.

Thing is, once you identify scripts, it’s very easy to get a general sentence. Say:

“The yellow cat is watching the blue fish.”

A sentence like that would be composed of kanji, katakana, and hiragana.

However, strip the latter two, and get:

“Cat watching fish.”

Rough, but you get the message. So, I don’t think MachineTL is exactly taboo, since the former two are for grammar and digestion. That’s commonly why you’ll see hiragana next to kanji in WSJ manga, since it’s directed towards teens & kids.

Anyways, that’s it for me.

I hope that clears up the air, since I thought about how this might affect other series, since my discord server was a bit in a frenzy. Whatever happens here (in terms of translation), I think any QB translations can be used.

Thing is, once you identify scripts, it’s very easy to get a general sentence. Say:

“The yellow cat is watching the blue fish.”

A sentence like that would be composed of kanji, katakana, and hiragana.

However, strip the latter two, and get:

“Cat watching fish.”

Rough, but you get the message. So, I don’t think MachineTL is exactly taboo, since the former two are for grammar and digestion. That’s commonly why you’ll see hiragana next to kanji in WSJ manga, since it’s directed towards teens & kids.
I don't think this sentence would have katakana though

But yeah, MTL + someone's own knowledge can usually do the job, even if it isn't perfect.

While using machine translations isn't inherently wrong, I generally don't think they're too reliable. Also, if I'm reading it right, QB's Japanese is rather basic, as he's started to learn the language recently, so it also leaves plenty of room to misinterpreting the original texts. Not to mention the Japanese used in Shinza is pretty damn complicated, if my sources are correct.

You say this but Dies Irae and Demonbane had translation and fans here still said they were not good and made several upgrades/downgrades cuz "translations are wrong" VNs are just such pain in genreal along with their fans.

At this point you might as well nuke every untranslated verse. Let them have their OP moonrunes series.

You say this but Dies Irae and Demonbane had translation and fans here still said they were not good and made several upgrades/downgrades cuz "translations are wrong" VNs are just such pain in genreal along with their fans.

At this point you might as well nuke every untranslated verse. Let them have their OP moonrunes series.
Pain made a thread regarding this though.

Might as well have it gone than letting the circus a chance of going on.

The reason why Demonbane was because not only the translation for VN is wrong, but it is the translation for the very first version of the game (that's right, the 18+ version), while the superior version is out there but no one bats an eye. Kishin Hishou is also untranslated and i doubt it would ever be. As for Gaiden Novels, oh boy, 3 of them are roughly translated from Korean, and they came from 4chan thread. While i indeed have the raws and have checked the accuracy out of boredom, they are still readable but sadly, we can't use them anymore. There you go the situation with Demonbane. At least Shinza have Dies and Ikabey already translated (though the Three Colors battle is meh anyway).

@QuasiYuri

So is my earlier suggestion to keep the profile pages, but go through with your upgrade revision, and improve on our explanation pages for the verse, acceptable?

@QuasiYuri

So is my earlier suggestion to keep the profile pages, but go through with your upgrade revision, and improve on our explanation pages for the verse, acceptable?
I don't think it would solve the whole thing, and the amount of time it would take is p ridiculous (not to mention that while I like Shinza, there's a lot of others things that deserve to be better).

I just have it planned among a lot of things, so in the end it depends of what others decide rather than me.
Would give one less reason for most Shinza dudes to see me as Satan

So are we axxing the verse till the profiles are fixed or not?
i am neutral, cause i see both sides point, the only reason why i want the verse to be kept even though i disagree with the way the pages are, is because i wish to work on the verse and do something about it.
but then those who have played the game said it should be axxed, so either way back it up to a sandbox/blog if u will do that

I somewhat agree with this thread cause of all the shit that happened in the downgrade threads with translations and whatnot, so I'll be neutral, and possibly agree. I do think it's a bit weird how much shade was being thrown at Yuri in the OP, but I somewhat agree that because of the severe lack of extremely knowledgeable people on the verse, it's better to just remove it until people can translate it fully (even a fan translation honestly works, just something for people to read through, so they have an idea of what's going on)

I somewhat agree with this thread cause of all the shit that happened in the downgrade threads with translations and whatnot, so I'll be neutral, and possibly agree. I do think it's a bit weird how much shade was being thrown at Yuri in the OP, but I somewhat agree that because of the severe lack of extremely knowledgeable people on the verse, it's better to just remove it until people can translate it fully (even a fan translation honestly works, just something for people to read through, so they have an idea of what's going on)
You just made an upgrade CRT though....

You just made an upgrade CRT though....

Yeah...I'm just saying that I somewhat agree. Not that I fully agree. Besides, if the upgrade goes bad enough (as in, it gives further evidence for the profiles being deleted), then it would only help this thread, tbf.

The current justification comes from here.

Thing is, while Madara's dimensionnal fault are accurately higher D related, him creating 24 barriers is different from him doing 24D ones.
It's especially evident when he only does one or stop an attack with 3 of them, since he obviously didn't use a 1D or 3D thing in the scenes.
So would this be a justification to put them higher into the 1B scaling chain or an actual tier upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back