• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Invulnerability, Immunity and NLF

Dragonmasterxyz

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
Can't believe I actually have to make this as I'd assume it would be pretty obvious, but whatever. This came from this thread.

So, a common issue that we have stated over and over again on threads and such is that unless a character is a specific type of being (as in they are souless or literally lack a mind), they are not to have "Immunity" placed upon their profile. Why? Because, Immunity is NLF. No matter how strong your feats are for said tiering, it should always be placed as a Resistance and not an Invulnerability/Immunity.

People assume that me saying "Invulnerability to this power is NLF" is me going against the site and saying "Invulnerability should be removed". Except no. Invulnerability should be something that equates to physical damage. Resistance is something the equates to hax. Our page on Invulnerability detail's physical abilities and not hax based ones. Even then, Invulnerabilities if not giving a detail on how much a character can take, can still be NLF.

Only Immunities that are allowed are;

Immunity to Conventional Mind Manipulation for things such as robots and AI (although I think this could be resistance)

Immunity to Soul Manipulation or Mind Manipulation (Lacks a soul or mind) or any immunity granted to a character because they lack the thing that is to be manipulated.

However, in any other situation, this should be simply Resistance and not Immunity or Invulnerability or else it then wanders into NLF territory.

Robots/mindless is probably resistance. I've seen verses treat those two as easier to mindhax due to having no mind they need to take over. In general though, I agree.

What about people who are like healed by a power though, like final fantasy undead vs death magic? I'd personally default to resistance and explanation.

Pretty sure that with LoP it's a terminology thing. "Divine immunities" are just a subset of abilities God's are natively immune to, beyond their already very high resistances. They're treated as an even stronger resist, they're just called that.

Healing by a power is usually absorption. Which is hax by itself but can be out-haxxed and sometimes overpowered.

What about resistance to blunt force trauma???? Isn't that resistance more of physical so why does it get resistance?? Shouldn't it be immunity

Wokistan said:
Pretty sure that with LoP it's a terminology thing. "Divine immunities" are just a subset of abilities God's are natively immune to, beyond their already very high resistances. They're treated as an even stronger resist, they're just called that.
Would this also apply to Abaddon the Despoiler and his blessings?

Abaddon's blessing is really weird so I don't really know. As for Kharn, Khorne can do what he wants.

Medaka Kurokami should then have her "immunity" to electricity-based mind manipulation replaced with resistance to it, in this case.

I meant agree, my bad. But I disagree for the invulnerability thing for the reason that Rider Achilles's form of invulnerability and the like exist

Also, the immunity thing can be reserved for certain contexts. Servants and their immunity to modern magic by the rational that anything sufficiently pushes into what would be a NLF already should have the mystery necessary to effect them anyway

AstralKing7 said:
What about resistance to blunt force trauma???? Isn't that resistance more of physical so why does it get resistance?? Shouldn't it be immunity
In that case we have an exception as that is not an Invulnerability, but more like blunt force is not very effective against you. Invulnerability is basically "your attacks just bounce off" and do nothing (almost like a form of Power/Attack Nullification). Resistance to BFT is more like "you hit me, but it does next to no damage".

You know, I have been watching the wikia since 2015 and I thought this was solved by now, I remember other threads where this was settled.

Anyway, I agree with this and I belive everybody else is going to agree.

Also, it would be good to make a rule or establish in the resistance page that it's almost imposible for someone to have some kind of "Immunity"

Servant immunity explicitly comes with a limit though. Divine immunities should be listed as resistances and just justified with "divine immunity provides resistance to X". The Warpriest has some of his resistances come from how his invincibility based on his law manip makes the damage numbers that normally pop up straight up say "immune", including all the guardian hax abilities, yet I didn't give him imminity to everything.

Of course, the Invulnerability part is me going directly from our current page which seems to cater to physical powers.

I mean, I don't know about that. The Daughters of Oryx have a ridiculous degree of deathhax that I don't think anyone matches without higher simensional schenanigains, yet if we went with Ant's idea people would see immunity to death manip and assume it doesn't work.

ShadowWarrior1999 said:
Type 1 immortality covers that stuff.
Im guessing your talking about my post.

The thing is what about characters that have "Immunity to disease and poison" but have a finite life span?

I agree with Woki. Nowadays it's even hard to give soulless beings Immunities to Soul hax considering there are characters in fiction who can soul hax soulless beings...

Dragonmasterxyz said:
I agree with Woki. Nowadays it's even hard to give soulless beings Immunities to Soul hax considering there are characters in fiction who can soul hax soulless beings... </div>

This is Alphamons soul hax from its page,

"Soul Manipulation (Can purge and purify his opponent's soul, even if they do not possess one. Digimon attacks can directly interact wit the Digicores of other Digimon, allowing all Digimon to manipulate, damage, and destroy the minds and souls of others"

That is Purification, not Soul Manipulation. But I think that isn't the point of this thread.

Back