• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Baldur's "Invulnerability" to all threats, physical or magical

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaReaperMan

Bronze Supporter

All right, so going right into this, I haven't read the novel, all I've done is played and watched the game, so if something there is against what I push for here, go for it immediately.

Invulnerability (With Freya's spell)
Yeah this... isn't invulnerability. It's a combination of sensory deprivation and seemingly Unstoppable Regeneration, and that's where my next point lies.

Regeneration (Low-Mid at base. Can regenerate lethal injuries such as a broken neck with his spell)
All right, with establishing that Invulnerability is utterly bogus, let's talk Regeneration.

So, here's how I would rework this justification

Regeneration (At least Low-Mid; Even without his curse Baldur regenerated from being completely impaled and disemboweled by the Blades of Chaos in some seconds,<ref name="Baldur's arse-beating Simulator">Baldur Final Boss Fight</ref> can effortlessly Regenerate extremely deep wounds that would have done Organ Damage<ref name="The Stranger">The Stranger Boss Fight</ref> Can regenerate lethal injuries such as a broken neck in at the apsolute most days with his spell<ref name="The Stranger"/> Possibly High-Godly; As Freya's spell grants Baldur "Invulnerability to all threats physical or magical"<ref name="Mimir">Every time Mimir brings up Baldur like good god</ref> it should allow Baldur to Regenerate from having his body utterly erased from existence by falling off of the branches and into the void of Yggdrasil<ref name="The Unity Stone">The Unity Stone God of War 2018</ref> or having his soul completely consumed in the light of Alfheim<ref name="Groá's Secret">God of War: Ragnarök (2022) - Groa's Secret</ref>)

Is this simply taking the whole "Invulnerability to all threats physical or magical" thing to it's limits? Yeah, but let's be very Blunt and honest, it wouldn't make sense if Regenerating from a neck break was the limit here

Also, it qualifies for a form of type 8 Immortality, as Baldur is Reliant on his "blessing" for this kind of Immortal regeneration

Last edited:
where is his 3rd gate. If it's explicitly because of regeneration then yea it shouldn't be invulnerability but I dunno how far this can be taken with the regeneration and if he can regenerate from being turned into ash.

Basically, the source of invulnerability is Freya's magic (or curse.)

Mimir says that no power, magic or being in the 9 realms can't harm Baldur in any way thanks to this curse, but in return Baldur feels nothing. This could be a Regeneration with invulnerability.

I don't remember the exact scene but this guy @KLOL506 maybe can show you. If he remembers too.

The Invulnerability stuff predates my existence on this wiki. It's better suited for Planck and Aetheric Pariah.

BTW, regenerating from severe organ damage or getting stabbed through the abdomen is clear-cut Low-Mid.

Basically, the source of invulnerability is Freya's magic (or curse.)

Mimir says that no power, magic or being in the 9 realms can't harm Baldur in any way thanks to this curse, but in return Baldur feels nothing. This could be a Regeneration with invulnerability.

I don't remember the exact scene but this guy @KLOL506 maybe can show you. If he remembers too.
Yeah, but here's the thing, Kratos literally harms him in every fight they have and he just regenerates and keeps coming lol

The Invulnerability stuff predates my existence on this wiki. It's better suited for Planck and Aetheric Pariah.

BTW, regenerating from severe organ damage or getting stabbed through the abdomen is clear-cut Low-Mid.
Alr, then it's better to leave it to Planck and Obi.

All right we aren't dealing with Mid due to disembowelment, I don't think that injury is low enough to have caused that, but yeah definitely Low-Mid outright

6:24 for a good look at the injuries

This would've been a better shot in all honesty, and this is from Curse Removed Baldur (Who still heals through all of it).

This would've been a better shot in all honesty, and this is from Curse Removed Baldur (Who still heals through all of it).

All right, yeah, I didn't do my research properly, that is disembowelment, At Least Mid regen with possibly Mid-High it is

Regeneration (At least Mid; Even without his curse Baldur regenerated from being completely impaled and disemboweled by the Blades of Chaos in some seconds,<ref name="Baldur's arse-beating Simulator">Baldur Final Boss Fight</ref> can effortlessly Regenerate extremely deep wounds that would have done Organ Damage<ref name="The Stranger">The Stranger Boss Fight</ref> Can regenerate lethal injuries such as a broken neck in at the apsolute most 3 days with his spell<ref name="The Stranger"/> Possibly Mid-High over time; As Freya's spell grants Baldur "Invulnerability to all threats physical or magical"<ref name="Mimir">Every time Mimir brings up Baldur like good god</ref> it should allow Baldur to Regenerate from being turned to ash via Fire or Lava)

This is the current draft for Baldur's new Regeneration section in the OP

All right, yeah, I didn't do my research properly, that is disembowelment, At Least Mid regen with possibly Mid-High it is
My only problem here is that the cut off point for the upper end seems arbitrary.

The Realm Between Realms erases you from existence, The Light of Alfheim incinerates even gods and dissolves their souls and concepts, and so on and so forth.

If we're going with the upper limit of regeneration then it'd be the very obviously chosen methods a god would take to kill himself (given even Atreus can dip his hand in lava, albeit at great pain).

My only problem here is that the cut off point for the upper end seems arbitrary.

The Realm Between Realms erases you from existence, The Light of Alfheim incinerates even gods and dissolves their souls and concepts, and so on and so forth.

If we're going with the upper limit of regeneration then it'd be the very obviously chosen methods a god would take to kill himself (given even Atreus can dip his hand in lava, albeit at great pain).
If that's the case, then High-Godly? Seems pretty big to put down even as a possibly and overtime, but... it is what it is.

What is bro cooking

…could it also be immortality type 8 too?

Because it seems like his immortality is “dependent” on his curse and once it’s lifted “he’s vulnerable” as Atreus says. So immortality type 8 might also be something to consider as well.

It's the same logic used as the original post, so yeah. Also, why over time? I can't recall his regeneration having a time caveat.
1. I'll find the references and add those to the OP's justification

2. Overtime is because of lack of time frame, we don't know how long it takes for Baldur to come back from that kinda crap

Regeneration (At least Low-Mid; Even without his curse Baldur regenerated from being completely impaled and disemboweled by the Blades of Chaos in some seconds,<ref name="Baldur's arse-beating Simulator">Baldur Final Boss Fight</ref> can effortlessly Regenerate extremely deep wounds that would have done Organ Damage<ref name="The Stranger">The Stranger Boss Fight</ref> Can regenerate lethal injuries such as a broken neck in at the apsolute most days with his spell<ref name="The Stranger"/> Possibly High-Godly; As Freya's spell grants Baldur "Invulnerability to all threats physical or magical"<ref name="Mimir">Every time Mimir brings up Baldur like good god</ref> it should allow Baldur to Regenerate from having his body utterly erased from existence by falling off of the branches and into the void of Yggdrasil<ref name="The Unity Stone">The Unity Stone God of War 2018</ref> or having his soul completely consumed in the light of Alfheim<ref name="Groá's Secret">God of War: Ragnarök (2022) - Groa's Secret</ref>)

Here's where I'm at right now

1. I'll find the references and add those to the OP's justification

2. Overtime is because of lack of time frame, we don't know how long it takes for Baldur to come back from that kinda crap
The novel explains the journey down the mountain takes at most three days.

The novel explains the journey down the mountain takes at most three days.
Yeah that part i knew, but we don't know how long it took for Baldur to actually become active again, considering Baldur was there bullshitting with Mimir before Kratos and Atreus even made it up and he was perfectly fine
Might need refinement but the base description is good.
Yeah I am the kind of guy to list every little thing and reference it lol

Yeah that part i knew, but we don't know how long it took for Baldur to actually become active again, considering Baldur was there bullshitting with Mimir before Kratos and Atreus even made it up and he was perfectly fine
Prolly a week at most.

Tbh I disagree with the higher end stuff like mid or high godly because it seems to strictly be mentioning the regeneration of his physical body and how it can't feel pain as well and not any other metaphysical components like concept or soul.

Tbh I disagree with the higher end stuff like mid or high godly because it seems to strictly be mentioning the regeneration of his physical body and how it can't feel pain as well and not any other metaphysical components like concept or soul.
I disagree. This would make no sense narratively speaking, since Baldur in the full century before GoW2018 definitely would've sought an out with the Light of Alfheim or yeeting himself into the RBR given his descent into madness post-curse. I'm in agreement with Planck on that front. Not to mention Mimir explicitly stating his "invulnerability to all threats, physical or magical".

Last edited:
I disagree. This would make no sense narratively speaking, since Baldur in the full century before GoW2018 definitely would've sought an out with the Light of Alfheim or yeeting himself into the RBR given his descent into madness post-curse. I'm in agreement with Planck on that front. Not to mention Mimir explicitly stating his "invulnerability to all threats, physical or magical".
I'd rather not give this level of regen over guessing and things that aren't really known to be true and essentially in a state of limbo (and when the evidence is to the contrary and has always referred to his physical body) and to quote a friend of mine who I think makes sense.
This is like saying that Character A has hax and fought Character B for thousands of years, meaning Character B should resist Character A's hax because it's unlikely Character A wouldn't have used their hax to try to stop Character B

I'd rather not give this level of regen over guessing and things that aren't really known to be true and essentially in a state of limbo (and when the evidence is to the contrary and has always referred to his physical body) and to quote a friend of mine who I think makes sense.
We really ignoring "physical or magical" here aren't we.

Agree to disagree.

We really ignoring "physical or magical" here aren't we.

Agree to disagree.
His physical body is "invulnerable" to "physical" or "magical" harm yes but nothing suggests anything about his soul/concept lmfao and something like light of alfheim ain't your typical "physical or magical" thing. These types of statements are also often exaggerated

His physical body is "invulnerable" to "physical" or "magical" harm yes but nothing suggests anything about his soul/concept lmfao and something like light of alfheim ain't your typical "physical or magical" thing. These types of statements are also often exaggerated
Souls are literal constructs of magic in GoW. Magical harm would undoubtedly involve affecting the soul here.

The Light of Alfheim is a magic force. It would fall under the umbrella just fine. And souls are constructs of magic so that'd be under the statements terms as well.

And his soul being obliterated would count as harm, I dunno what's so hard to grasp about that. "Death having no power over him" fundamentally wouldn't make sense if a random Soul Eater could do him in.

Can you tell me how the statement is exaggerated here? When multiple of the most knowledgeable beings in the Norse pantheon agree that he cannot be killed and he's lived a century unable to be harmed despite his best efforts?

The Light of Alfheim is a magic force. It would fall under the umbrella just fine. And souls are constructs of magic so that'd be under the statements terms as well.

And his soul being obliterated would count as harm, I dunno what's so hard to grasp about that. Death having no power over him fundamentally wouldn't make sense if a random Soul Eater could do him in.

Can you tell me how the statement is exaggerated here? When multiple of the most knowledgeable beings in the Norse pantheon agree that he cannot be killed and he's lived a century unable to be permanently harmed despite his best efforts.
Fixed that a bit

And his soul being obliterated would count as harm, I dunno what's so hard to grasp about that. Death having no power over him fundamentally wouldn't make sense if a random Soul Eater could do him in.

Can you tell me how the statement is exaggerated here? When multiple of the most knowledgeable beings in the Norse pantheon agree that he cannot be killed and he's lived a century unable to be harmed despite his best efforts?
Especially when Odin, who's basically a master of corrupting Souls and has mastered a branch of magic whose constant usage will corrupt one's soul until there's nothing left (Which Odin can handle with utter ease with no harm coming to him), couldn't do anything about Baldur's curse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back