• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Harry Potter Verse Durability Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Street level

This was brought up before. Newt (a Wizard like Harry) and his human friend are trying to recapture a large, rhino-like beast. Newt recommends that the human puts on a magically enhanced helmet so that he can be more durable, as he remarks that Wizards have better durability than humans. As Newt doesn't seem to feel the need for a helmet too, yet was the one who would be in most danger in his plan, this should imply they are quite a bit stronger.

Wall level
In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry fell 50 feet from his broom, albeit being knocked out of cold. Same with Walden Macnair, who got threw across the Great Hall by Hagrid. Wizards often get hit by each other spells, too.

Building level+
Ezgif-5-8242287d35

A Lightning Bolt is 5 gigajolus =1.2 Tons = Building level+ durability. After the Hufflepuff student was hit by the lightning bolt, he continue to remian conscious and fly his broom down. He also didn't fell from his broom.

Street level is ok IMO, Wall level is kinda weird and Building level+ is 1000000000000000000000000% an outlier.

Seems to be logical to me. Wizards often seem to survive things normal people should not, even without magic. Anyone ever calculated if Nevilles Fall in Philosophers Stone should have killed him? And Harry impaced the Ground from a Flying Bike in Deathly Hollows.

So it seems to be Okay to me.

Street level would be 100% ok to me. Wall level is iffy. Building level+ is impossible.

What about "Street level, possibly Wall level"

That would be quite acurate. But I'd really like someone to calculate Nevilles Fall and the Bike Fall first. Those could be deciding factors, because I destinctly remember it being stated in the books that the bike was In the clouds. That would tend a lot more to wall level than to street level. Maybe seperate it for common wizards and Harry?

Wait, humans don't have building level+ durability and yet we can survive lightning bolts because of how quick they are; why would we assume that the lightning bolt here is different?

You drop dead if you are hit by a lightningbolt. Or at least are incapacitated. That guy just kept flying for a while, clearly still mentaly there and could move.

Burstchaos said:
Wait, humans don't have building level+ durability and yet we can survive lightning bolts because of how quick they are; why would we assume that the lightning bolt here is different?
Humans aren't usually in the middle of a thunder storm flying through clouds when hit. Humans can also survive after a building collapses on them.

^If a person survives a building collapsing on them, they're ridiculously lucky.

Anything above Street level is a bad idea, simply because there are many, many, many instances of the Potter wizards being severely injured by things that Wall levelers would walk away from (relatively) fine. Building level durability is also an especially bad idea for this reason.

The wizard surviving a lightning bolt (if he even managed that, as we don't even see his physical state afterwards) is a major outlier, and most likely a product of "writers can't do math" on the part of the film's scriptmakers.

Humans can only survive buildings collapsing because only a section of the building lands on them.

@Heiler but this should be just as quick as normal lightning so there's no reason to assume that him surviving would give him higher durability.

The Wall level feat is also not a feat at all. Dumbledore slowed Harry down with Arresto Momentum so that the fall wouldn't kill him. The act is even remarked upon afterwards.

Harry also quite explicitly broke his wrist from a fall nowhere near as high in Chamber of Secrets, and that moment in particular was a major plot point in both the novel and the film.

Well, Harry has survived a even more impressive falling feat - when he crashes full speed into the pond from at least a hundred meters. I do not know how high someone has to be to compare the light of the house to a star in the sky, but Im guessing that is quite high up, from sizing one to each other.

And he actually survived that. Im not that familiar with magic, but im guessing strongly that impacting water in wrong form from at least 100 meter with at least 100 miles per hour will kill any normal human. And Harry survived that with nothing more than a broken arm and a couple ribs. That is most definitely NOT human durability.

If the light of a house is literally as big as a star, that is definitely NOT human durability. Wall level at the very least.

"Come back, boy!" she shouted, but Neville was rising straight up a cork shot out of a bottle - twelve feet - twenty feet
~ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (The Midnight Duel)​
20 feet = a bit more than 6 metres

MHG = PE

Let's say Neville's around 60 kilograms.

60*6*9.8 = 3528 Joules, aka Street level+

Yup. That's not human durability.

So "Street level, possibly Wall level" seems accurate to me. Neville falling from broomstick is Street level+, Harry falling off a bike is Wall level at least and Newt stated wizards are more durable than humans.

So, as far as I could find out, the bike had to have a speed of at least over ~150. Considering then speeding up while falling and considering he fell for at least a couple seconds...Harry could have gotten disturbingly fast.

Anybody know someone who could calculate this? Im only up for unprecise calcs, not the precision required.

So Neville falling from a broomstick is Street level+, and Harry falling from a bike is low-end Wall level. Newt had stated wizards are more durable than humans, and they sometimes even tank spells from each other. I see no reason not to upgrade them.

As far as I could see, the HP feat was not calculated correctly. The Calculator assumed that Harry was falling FROM his bike with 0 starting speed. He did, however, crash into the ground on the bike with a starting speed of at least 150 miles per hour. Ergo the feat has to be recalculated.

So Harry Potters Low-Ball is wall-Level. We should try to get a couple moderators or something like that on this thread to get this added.

Nvm I found it. Btw in the same fight scene, Harry and Voldemort fall off a Hogwarts tower and free-falls for 32 seconds, which is above terminal velocity. Again high-mid end Wall level.

As S75DF mentioned, it is best to get his calculations evaluated first.

Since when did Harry fall with a speed of 150 miles per hour? That would flatten his body.

It would also be a hilarious outlier.

Kepekley23 said:
Since when did Harry fall with a speed of 150 miles per hour? That would flatten his body.
It would also be a hilarious outlier.
He had too. The Bike outraced Broomsticks and even the cheap ones seem to be able to get to this speed, seeing how the Quidditchplayers in ALL houses were in some way able to keep up with Harrys Firebolt. Not to mention the Dragonfire acceleration. The Bike dipped into the ground like a plain crashing until it hammered straight into the ground. So I find it quite reasonable to assume that it had at least that speed, nevermind gravital acceleration.

The bike was a Hagrid Sized Triumph Bonneville T120, so at least weighing 250 kg. Added Harrys ~75kg and hammer that into the ground.

And even considering he started at 0 speed. at least 325kg hammering into the ground is something a lot different than just a person. Not wanting to wank the feat, really, but that is what is written in the book. I've checked the scene now at least 2 dozen times to be sure of what I write.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back