• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Hammering in the Inconsistency: Bad Scaling and Hammer Units (Team Fortress Revision)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the rockets should be used at all, they don't appear to match up with real world rockets. They're consistently slow when bullets are depicted as basically hitscan, even in the cinematics.
Actually, we see Scout dodge Sentry fire in Meet the Scout

Aim at his feet

unknown.png

Does this look like feet to you ?

Seriusly, here we clearly see Scout just dodging the bullet

unknown.png

Does this look like feet to you ?

Seriusly, here we clearly see Scout just dodging the bullet
I'mma be honest with you, that don't look like "dodging", that looks like "missing". Scout is running in a straight line in that scene. He ain't actively moving out of the way of the bullets as they come at him, the shooter is just bad at hitting him.

ah yes, assume the automated sentry (which going by the Meet the Engie video perfect accuracy) is bad at firing instead that he's too fast to hit

anyway, here is even more clear he's dodging the bullet

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

ah yes, assume the automated sentry (which going by the Meet the Engie video perfect accuracy) is bad at firing instead that he's too fast to hit

anyway, here is even more clear he's dodging the bullet

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
1. The turret's inability to miss in games of TF2 is game mechanics. Assuming that the Engineer's confidence in his creations means the turrets have 100% infallible aim is a no-limits fallacy. They're clearly missing here.
2. Again, this is Scout literally just moving in a straight line for a full second, not actively moving to dodge oncoming bullets. The best you can argue for in any of these cases is aim-dodging.

Last edited:
Scout is literally running in a single direction. Nowhere does he make an effort to change directions. He isn't "dodging" these bullets. Also there's absolutely no context to what the sentries were doing in Meet the Engineer. We only get the zooming out towards the end which shows them running straight into the Engineer. Saying sentries are perfect aimbots is disingenuous.

Look, TF2 weapons are tremendously superior to ours, and you assume they're this slower?
Provide actual direct evidence that they're faster first, then we can talk scaling from those weapons. "They're more advanced" does not necessarily mean they shoot faster projectiles—in fact, that statement doesn't really mean much on its own, it's too vague of a statement to draw definite conclusions from.

There's also a different feat. Demoman briefly moves in tandem with his explosion
If you watch frame by frame there's clear in tandem movement at the end

Provide actual direct evidence that they're faster first, then we can talk scaling from those weapons. "They're more advanced" does not necessarily mean they shoot faster projectiles—in fact, that statement doesn't really mean much on its own, it's too vague of a statement to draw definite conclusions from.
https://www.teamfortress.com/catchup/#f=13

You mean to tell me that a country this advanced in 1890 utilizes rockets that move around 15x slower than rockets from the RPG-7 do in real life? Really?

You mean to tell me that a country this advanced in 1890 utilizes rockets that move around 15x slower than rockets from the RPG-7 do in real life? Really?
That's an argument from incredulity. Besides, that's not even the main point, it's that the HU values are inconsistent and can't be used coherently.

That's an argument from incredulity. Besides, that's not even the main point, it's that the HU values are inconsistent and can't be used coherently.
This isn't an argument from incredulity. This is an argument from not buying ridiculous statements of rockets moving at 20 m/s

Don't use HU then and just scale mercs to rocket's speed
Said rockets aren't consistent with the bullets or even other projectiles. It results in TF2 bullets being high-hypersonic for no other reason than you assume the rocket is moving at a certain speed.

Said rockets aren't consistent with the bullets or even other projectiles. It results in TF2 bullets being high-hypersonic for no other reason than you assume the rocket is moving at a certain speed.
Stop hiding behind fallacies. This is a blatant instance of game mechanics presented in a lot of games

Prove the rocket actually moves faster than real world rockets. Warhammer 40k is thousands of years into the future but still has spaceships that go below FTL. Being advanced =/= better.

I'm not supposed to prove a negative, you're supposed to prove a positive. This is debating 101.

There is literally nothing that points towards the rockets being this slow except for their gameplay speeds and why in-game stuff does not move at 300+ m/s is not something that should have to be explained.

Stop hiding behind fallacies. This is a blatant instance of game mechanics presented in a lot of games
I could say the same for you. Assuming the rockets are the correct thing to scale the speeds off of is completely arbitrary. The speeds of projectiles are defined by the game designers even in the cinematics because they aren't real projectiles. It's no less arbitrary than scaling the speeds of everything off of the bullets and coming up with average human speeds. Neither one of them is objectively more true in this case.

Again, I must point out we have no real world equivalent of Soldier's rocket launcher. It does not act like any real world launcher so even if we wanted to scale off of the real world, we would have nothing to scale it off of.

What's worse is that TF2 canonically takes place in our past, which means the weapons that they would scale to are outdated in the real world. This is not like say, Call of Duty Infinite, where it takes place in the future and everything logically would scale, if not upscale.

This seems more like stickyjumping than moving in tandem with them
I can confirm this isn't how one stickyjumps. I guess the feat can be used to determine speed if it isn't outlier.

It's not exactly stickyjumping, but it seems more likely than moving in tandem with them to me. That does make me think that the speed of stickyjumping and rocketjumping could be calc'd somehow though.

Off-topic, but I just realized that BONK was being contended earlier. The current calc should be removed but Scout on BONK should get "At least Supersonic" reactions and combat speed as the official advertisment states that upon drinking BONK, you can dodge bullets like "they ain't even there"

It would only scale to that one action. Kinda redundant, really.

Again, I must point out we have no real world equivalent of Soldier's rocket launcher. It does not act like any real world launcher so even if we wanted to scale off of the real world, we would have nothing to scale it off of.

What's worse is that TF2 canonically takes place in our past, which means the weapons that they would scale to are outdated in the real world. This is not like say, Call of Duty Infinite, where it takes place in the future and everything logically would scale, if not upscale.
So already having teleportation devices, robot sentry hybrids that clearly shouldn't be this slow, Super Australian's, underwater cities, and healing immortal machines are "Outdated." in this case?... Seriously?

Off-topic, but I just realized that BONK was being contended earlier. The current calc should be removed but Scout on BONK should get "At least Supersonic" reactions and combat speed as the official advertisment states that upon drinking BONK, you can dodge bullets like "they ain't even there"
Why this downgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back