• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fixing Potential Issues in Bowser's Page (aka The Great Conspiracy Against Bowser)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKM sama

Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
You all are cordially invited in this great public conspiracy we are having here on the wiki against Bowser this time. In all seriousness though, there are some problems in the page and I will go into detail. They need to be discussed, fixed, better explained, revised, etc. etc. (doing which is clearly shady and scummy according to some guy on the internet).

Section 1: Violation of the Canon Rules

Bowser's AP justification states this:

Empowered by a Grand Star which is not only vastly superior to Power Stars, but is also the source of power that he was going to use to destroy and remake the universe during the events of the first Super Mario Galaxy game

This information comes from a US guidebook, and is contradictory to the information from the game itself. The game states this at different points in time:

br.PNG
image0.png

image0.png
image0.png

Going by this version, Bowser's plan was to create 'his' galaxy, from where he will rule his great galactic empire, that will eventually spread his control to the entire universe. There is nothing here about literally destroying the universe and creating a new one. It is completely unfounded in the game.

As for the fan translation since people say that the English one is always inaccurate, here is one I found that was used previously, I think.

I'll quote:
"This great star will be the core/center of my new universe!" Might be some extra stuff like needing to complete the star.
The first sentence is the same, except instead of galaxy, it mentions star. And the translator is not sure about the remaining part.
Talking about how centering around this star he will build the galactic empire that lasts a thousand years or whatever with Peach by his side. Sounds much like the English one here

Says his army will expand across the universe like bread or a big bang?

It means that Bowser was planning to create a star as the center/core of his empire from where he and his army will rule the universe.

I thought I'd try a different source just to be sure. Here's another translation DragonLord asked a friend to do:

1. The first scan I posted.
"Princess Peach! You are about to witness the birth of a new galaxy of my making!"

2. "I'm putting the finishing touches on the core of my new universe, Great King Planet!"

3. "With this planet in the center, I, along with Peach, will build a 10,000-year Great Galactic Empire!"

4. "And my empire will spread across the whole universe like a big bang!"

According to this translation, it seems that the plan was to create a planet. With that planet in center, he wanted to build a galactic empire (hence the birth of a new galaxy). And then extend his empire across the universe.

Since in Japanese there could be confusion between the word planet and star, that would explain why the two fan translations differ in that respect. But they are consistent with everything else.

Basically, the plan was to create a planet/star, as the core of his (galaxy) galactic empire, from which he will rule the universe.

From the Canon page:
When different source materials give different versions of the same feat, and by that they contradict each other in the depiction of the feat, the primary canon takes precedence over the secondary canon.
I don't know why a description from a guide is being used over the description in the game when it blatantly contradicts the primary source. This needs to be fixed and we should stop using it.

Section 2: Fixing the Durability

Bowser's durability justification states this:
There are two problems here:

1. The "survived" part here is treated as durability but it overlooks basic context of the feat. Yes, Bowser and everyone "survived" because the entire thing was reset back to the way it was, as if none of it ever happened. Even the destroyed Peach's castle was magically fixed and sent back to the start along with Mario, Peach and Bowser. There is no indication that Bowser actually tanked the explosion. And the argument that is used to imply that is because he stumbles after waking up, which is extremely normal for someone who suddenly tries to stand up as soon as they're awake, and in no way, shape or form does it confirm anything.

2. The second issue is the statement that comes from the same contradictory guide, "the blast that threatens the very fabric of the universe". As pointed above, we should obviously not use this guide, but even then, threatening the "fabric" of the universe =/= Low 2-C (that is destroying the universe) without proper context. Threatening/affecting the "fabric of the universe" is a vague term that is often used to refer to affecting space-time in some manner even if it is on a localized scale, and most of the times depends on context. Hell, even regular black holes (a black hole is part of this feat) affect the fabric of space-time normally. This will be elaborated in the next section since it is not related to Bowser's durability anymore.

Section 3: The Grand (Star) Problem

We currently measure the power of the grand star with the help of the same statement I pointed out in the first section, basically the part "destroying and recreating the universe that Bowser will control". However, dismissing that for reasons pointed out already, we need to figure it out on the basis what happens in the game.

The Grand Star is used as a battery in Bowser's reactor. As per this video, when the reactor becomes unstable, first there is an initial explosion like a mini supernova, which then created a mini black hole that starts sucking Mario, Peach and her castle into it. Hundreds of Lumas (the tiny stars) go toward the black hole in order to stop/cancel it, sacrificing themselves in the process, and that action ultimately results in a massive explosion. Mario finds himself with Rosalina who talks about how the dead stars are born again and the cycle of life and death continues. And then Mario finds himself, Peach, Bowser, the castle and everything back to normal at the starting point.

As for the initial supernova-like explosion that happened due to the reactor, which would scale to the Grand Star, calculating it should be easy, I think. The formation of the mini black hole should also be attributed to the same process. As for the final explosion, it was the result of the black hole + hundreds of Lumas combined. As it covers the entire screen, I don't know whether it can be calculated properly (calc member input is necessary here).

I don't know what to make of the characters, their castles, etc. getting back to the starting point as if nothing happened. Maybe some sort of time manipulation or reset done by Rosalina or something? Or the effect of the Lumas sacrificing themselves? It's left vague. This needs to be decided.

Section 4: Bowser's Scaling to the Grand Star

Bowser's AP justification states:
Empowered by a Grand Star which is not only vastly superior to Power Stars, but is also the source of power that he was going to use to destroy and remake the universe during the events of the first Super Mario Galaxy game
First of all this justification needs to be corrected because of the reasons pointed out in section 1. But it also assumes that Bowser absorbs all the power the grand star has to offer.

The same guide states that Bowser cannot handle the complete power of a Grand Star as he gets hurt by touching its pure energy. I am obviously not saying we should use this guide as a source since it is already established that it is contradictory, but this is an issue I wanted to point out. We use the guide for Low 2-C when it blatantly contradicts the primary source, but we ignore it in this case to assume something opposite of what's stated.

Even ignoring the guide altogether, sure, Bowser gets amped by an unquantifiable amount, but there seems to be no proof or implication that Bowser absorbs the entirety of the energy from the Grand Star. Especially when he had to build a machine to use the power of a Grand Star for his purposes, and he has shown no feats after absorbing the grand star for us to ascertain how strong he got. We see him throwing rocks and getting defeated by said rocks thrown back at him, but that's about it. Nothing else of the sort that is required to determine his power.

Now I know some may claim that there is nothing to disprove the notion that he absorbs all of the energy, but even if there is nothing to directly disprove (except the guidebook), there still needs to be actual proof of it. The burden of proof is still on the positive claim. Either in the form of a direct statement that they absorbed all the energy or for them to perform at the very least a feat within a few orders of magnitude of what the Power Stars do. If there isn’t that, then they are not assumed to have absorbed all the energy regardless of if we use the guidebook.

Section 5: The Conclusion

- We should not use a guide that blatantly contradicts the primary canon, as this is in clear violation of our canon rules. As such, we should remove all the information on the profiles that come from it. That includes the Low 2-C AP of the Grand Star and Bowser, as per section 1.

- Bowser's durability justification needs to be adjusted accordingly as per the above. And the part that implies he tanked the explosion should be removed as per section 2.

- The Grand Star's actual total energy should be calculated on the basis of the supernova-like explosion and the resulting black hole. The final explosion that is the product of the aforementioned black hole and hundreds of Lumas combined together should also be calculated if needed. The cast getting sent back to the starting position and everything magically being fixed should be discussed, as there is confusion whether it is some time hax or something from Rosalina or some sort of result of the final energy released by the black hole + hundreds of Lumas, as per section 3.

- Bowser being capable of absorbing the entire energy of the power stars is something that is not proved or supported. It should probably be left as an unquantifiable amp, as per section 4.

Agreement: 22 (23?) (AKM sama, Ryukama, Antvasima, Ogbunabali, Damage3245, Everything12, Eficiente, KingTempest, Crabwhale, Dino Ranger Black, Armorchompy, Seol404, Newendigo, Tllmbrg, CrimsonStarFallen, TMaakkonen, DragonLord, Rikimarox2, The Smashor, Cropfist, InfiniteDay, Maverick Zero X (agrees with section 2), ElixirBlue(?))

Disagreement: 8
(DarkDragonMedeus (disagrees with section 1 and 3, but agrees about section 2), I'm Blue (same as DDM), y3p owo (same as DDM), Foxthefox1000, Liluzivert, MikeBro25, Lord JJJ, Bobsican (about section 3 specifically))

(I will update this list later.)

Last edited:
I definitely agree. This Super Mario Galaxy scaling was already turned down in several different threads in the past for many of the same reasons. I'm not sure why it got through now.

Meh, admittedly we are super inconsistent with the regional differences between sources. I believe Cell's 4-B on the wiki, for example, uses a Portuguese guidebook, no?

Just saying if we're going this route Mario isn't the only verse cratering in stats, there are far worse examples of this on the wiki.

I definitely agree. This Super Mario Galaxy scaling was already turned down in several different threads in the past for many of the same reasons. I'm not sure why it got through now.
people blindly agreeing to the updates without looking into the feats

I believe Cell's 4-B on the wiki, for example, uses a Portuguese guidebook, no?
Not really. Cell has a statement in canon, that is not contradicted by any of the events. The character reactions who can sense ki perfectly support his claim. He has a history of not lying and being to the point. And there are plenty of guidebooks (not just a portuguese one), but even the Daizenshuu that outright confirm this, plus other guides closely related to the manga. The games and other stuff is supposed to be supporting evidence, they are not primary evidence.

But that's not the topic here. Context differs. And this isn't about regional differences. It's about a secondary (or tertiary?) canon source, outright contradicting the canon source, which makes it unusable according to our canon standards.

Last edited:
Agree.

If we were as lenient with other verses as we have been with Mario, a lot more Marvel & DC characters would have been Tier 2+ years ago.

And if this affects other verses, well, if other verses use equally questionable logic I'd say its a good thing to re-examine those verses too.

As for what Tier Mario would end up in, it should be the tier that is most consistent and least contradicted.

It should be noted that, even without the guide stating it, Bowser still gets hurt by the energy of the reactor. That's how Mario defeats him in Galaxy 1, making him stomp over the energy, which burns his tail to the point that it becomes vulnerable to Mario's spin attack.

Meh, admittedly we are super inconsistent with the regional differences between sources. I believe Cell's 4-B on the wiki, for example, uses a Portuguese guidebook, no?
The difference is a foreign guidebook was used as supplementary evidence because the in series statement wasn't enough and VSBW demanded a million different sources just to finally accept it. Meanwhile Mario gets a single foreign guidebook statement (or one time even a review) and it immediately gets accepted even if said statement isn't in the series itself.

I still feel this is a sentimental distinction, but as said I'll address this in a separate thread, preferably one after this one

The Cell issue is like, more than half a decade old at this point, when it was put to rest, and completely different case than this one (a whole lot of context is entirely different). Let's avoid any further derailment on that topic.

Last edited:
We literally just had a thread on this topic that got agreed upon. Being burned by Low 2-C energy doesn't support him not being that tier at all.

We also discussed in length how "my new universe" is stated there too and how Bowser's empire had already expanded throughout the universe. It makes no logical sense to think he hadn't of already done so given context from the game, like the Trial Galaxy which is at the ends of the universe having Bowser's minions in them or how Rosalina said they use the Star Power to map the universe and observe it and Bowser's took the most Power Stars to get to and you'd already have traveled through multiple galaxy clusters by now. These are also literal things stated and shown in the game.

Grand Stars should still scale to the black hole. If you're proposing it was solely the Lumas doing it than Power Stars would scale up from them and then Grand Stars from them. It's clear the universe was reset because members from across the galaxies you visit end up at the planet too.

I completely disagree.

But hey it's the whole mario downgrade gang so practically anyone is gonna get outvoted unless we bring in more mods than usual.

Also, again, Bowser's machines were literally draining the Grand Stars to the point the Lumas feared they would die and were on their death bed.

To claim Bowser wasn't using most if not all of their power seems like a baseless assumption.

But hey it's the whole mario downgrade gang so practically anyone is gonna get outvoted unless we bring in more mods than usual.
For the record, Mario is one of my favourite fictions, and AKM has no stakes in it either for or against. He is just trying to do his staff duties of acting as a quality control buffer. That doesn't mean that he is automatically correct though.

We have discussed this feat in length here. AKM please read the previous discussion where the feat was accepted in the first place before making a thread. It makes things so much easier and doesn't waste time. I get you don't exactly have the time but it's important to do so before making a thread that is doing nothing more then beating a dead horse.

Being burned by Low 2-C energy doesn't support him not being that tier at all.
The energy being Low 2-C itself is being questioned. Please read the OP properly.

Even if we assume the energy was Low 2-C, for argument's sake, the initial claim that is trying to be made to scale Bowser and all these fodder enemies is that they absorbed the entirety of their energy and can hold it within their body indefinitely. If Bowser cannot even touch a portion of this energy for a brief moment, that clearly goes against that premise. Whether the energy is Low 2-C is irrelevant, because regardless this clearly contradicts the claim itself. Bowser cannot absorb the entirety of the energy or contain it indefinitely. Also we have never scaled anyone on the logic of “If they can touch a Tier 2 without dying they’re Low 2-C cause a fraction of infinity is infinity (even though we don't consider an undefined portion of infinity as infinity). You have to actually show to meaningfully scale to the Tier 2 to be given the same tier. Not just touching without dying but still getting badly hurt.

We have discussed this feat in length here. AKM please read the previous discussion where the feat was accepted in the first place before making a thread. It makes things so much easier and doesn't waste time. I get you don't exactly have the time but it's important to do so before making a thread that is doing nothing more then beating a dead horse.
And there are some issues with them. The same topic was rejected several times before. Roshi blowing up the moon was discussed several times before. Borbot, King Boo, Black Jewel, all these topics were also agreed upon previously. Doesn't mean they are right, or they can't be changed. I am legit surprised how some of this stuff got through quite honestly.

Last edited:
Whats Infinity divided by any number? Infinity. It is the difference between dimensions, unless your about to tell me that just because a 7-D person couldn't touch 7-D energy for very long that they should suddenly be 6-D. For arguments sake isn't an option here

Whats Infinity divided by any number? Infinity. It is the difference between dimensions, unless your about to tell me that just because a 7-D person couldn't touch 7-D energy for very long that they should suddenly be 6-D. For arguments sake isn't an option here
We have discussed this topic in detail previously on other threads. You can have a cake that is of infinite size, and you can still take out a spoonful from it. An undefined portion of infinity is not infinity. Not that it even matters here, but just so you know.

EDIT: @Antvasima I think we shall put a note on the relevant pages by this point. Because people are always confused about this topic.

And if you had read the previous thread we found that being simply burned and quickly recovering doesn't detract from his durability. It's also literally a game mechanic gag anti-feat which already makes the argument pretty distasteful that it's being argued.

There's also the fact I provided a scan showing they do drain practically all of the Grand Star's energies. It's strange to assume one wouldn't use all of the power of an object when they previously havw shown their machines and tech can indeed drain most of it. The Grand Star in Megaleg has the same dullness of the one being drained at the beginning of the game, showing that mech was using most of it's power. Plenty of tech and machinery using most of these artifact's power throughout both games.

This is also silly when you bring in Mario to the equation who fights these things that explicitly do use most of the Grand Star's power and also fought that Bowser empowered by one along with the energy of the Comet Observatory since Bowser was consuming their power as well. Why seek more power if he couldn't even unlock the full potential of the single macguffin? Maybe because he did and he felt it was still too little? Most absorption feats I know of tend to have a character capable of using the full power of the thing they absorb too. Like, assuming the opposite seems vastly less common in fiction in my experience. Why absorb the power of something but not be able to use it? Unless it's explicitly shown we shouldn't assume this is the case IMO.

Edited because I misremembered something

We have discussed this topic in detail previously on other threads. You can have a cake that is of infinite size, and you can still take out a spoonful from it. An undefined portion of infinity is not infinity. Not that it even matters here, but just so you know.

EDIT: @Antvasima I think we shall put a note on the relevant pages by this point. Because people are always confused about this topic.
I suppose that seems sensible, but you would have to ask DontTalk and Ultima about where it should be placed.

It's also literally a game mechanic gag anti-feat which already makes the argument pretty distasteful that it's being argued.
It's literally explicitly mentioned in the same guidebook you use to prove Universe Level. You can't call it a game mechanic. At least not if you want to also use this guidebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back