• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Quest Revival Discussion Thread

I don't really know anyone else that's into DQ
Fair since it has a relatively small English fanbase. Only thing I can think of is messaging the supporters list on the verse page. DDM and a few others popped on the thread, with them all pretty much abandoning the thread sadly. I could try to message them too.

Hmm, that's a tough calc. I'd need something to figure out how far they are from the explosion
I think you can get a good angle at 4:39. Not sure if it’s gonna mean much now because of the Magma Staff, but it works as a supporting feat

Eh, if it was like a big important feat I'd try but I don't really wanna try and figure it out if it's just support, especially since it won't get anywhere close to high tier 6

Eh, if it was like a big important feat I'd try but I don't really wanna try and figure it out if it's just support, especially since it won't get anywhere close to high tier 6
I mean, it would be if the Magma Staff wasn’t in the game. I mean, you did surprise yourself with the magma staff feat. It would probably be pretty high since it obliterated a statue (which contained a giant flying castle), a range of cliffs behind it, and a town.

Also, another weird thing, all of the villains are huge (with the exception of Corvus).

Most of the final bosses are way bigger than the party (Dragonlord (2nd form), Zoma, Psaro (with the Secret of Evolution), Nimzo (2nd form), Mortamor (2nd and 3rd form), Orgodemir (Demon form), and Mordegon (1st form)

They would all probably have Type 0

There’s also a few type 1s (Malroth is consistently depicted as being larger than the hole he rips into Hargon’s roof, as well as in Builders (though that’s an alternate universe), with Mordegon (2nd form) being self explanatory (though he could be bigger length wise), and Calasmos (self explanatory)

Only type 2 out of the bosses is Rhapthorne phase 2. He consumes his entire citadel and becomes fat.

Though the biggest in the series is easily Bjorn (for obvious reasons)

It’d also be worth calculating the Troll’s mountain leveling feat for monster profiles and the Erdrick Trilogy heroes (since they lack mountain staff scaling).

Also, if anyone finds any notable feats from the monster descriptions, it’d be cool if someone mentions them.

If y'all need help on the Dai side of things, I would be happy to help (just wished I knew how to calc).
You’re one of the few Dai supporters I’ve seen, so you’re probably gonna be one of the few suppliers of stuff from there, so yea, all the support helps. If you know any other Dai supporters, invite them

I... still don't really think Estark is really worth anything.
This discussion was inevitably going to happen, so I might as well just say my piece and get the point over with.

There are plenty of statements other than Estark’s. The Bilhaw (a very late and occasional post-game monster), has a statement of being beyond space and time and even one of being able to cross space and time to hunt people. The Timewyrm is stated to come from a place beyond space and time. Estark even has occasional showings of randomly traveling to other dimensions. He somehow went back to Nadiria after being killed in DQ4, he randomly shows up in the DQ8 world, appears in a dungeon in DQH2, not to mention it fits directly along with his own statement of being beyond the boundaries of space and time.

If the Bilhaw thing isn’t immeasurable, I don’t know what else to say.

"Beyond space and time" just means literally nothing on its own, it isn't immeasurable and is barely support for it. The Bilhaw thing might be worthwhile though.

Depends if it's done with sheer movement speed or just an ability.

Since DQ is a quintessential JRPG I'm assuming the Japanese lore descriptions get priority which means dealing with translations hijinx?

It’d also be worth calculating the Troll’s mountain leveling feat for monster profiles and the Erdrick Trilogy heroes (since they lack mountain staff scaling).

Also, if anyone finds any notable feats from the monster descriptions, it’d be cool if someone mentions them.
Well here's a few (DQ11 descriptions): 1 (Time hax) , 2 3 (potential LS feats), 4 (Essentially a natural disaster in monster form) and 5 (WTF is this!?).

Also this (DQ9 description) but alongside the Badonis that could be an outlier or flowery language, I'm not sure tbh.

Also I've noticed several monsters seemingly have soul manipulation to varying degrees, so it seems to be a common hax in DQ but just looking at the DQ11 bestiary (assuming we take these descriptions at face value) I'm surprised how humanity even survived in such a world.

Also I didn't realise there was so much shameless recolors and/or reusings of multiple monsters, it's pretty funny to me.

Doesn't the Tockle and Tickington also exist outside of time? I believe the Tockle are said to be time itself? I'd need to look for it again. It's been awhile, but I think Calamos and The End of Time had similar arguments for existing above time?

Since DQ is a quintessential JRPG I'm assuming the Japanese lore descriptions get priority which means dealing with translations hijinx?

Well here's a few (DQ11 descriptions): 1 (Time hax) , 2 3 (potential LS feats), 4 (Essentially a natural disaster in monster form) and 5 (WTF is this!?).

Also this (DQ9 description) but alongside the Badonis that could be an outlier or flowery language, I'm not sure tbh.

Also I've noticed several monsters seemingly have soul manipulation to varying degrees, so it seems to be a common hax in DQ but just looking at the DQ11 bestiary (assuming we take these descriptions at face value) I'm surprised how humanity even survived in such a world.

Also I didn't realise there was so much shameless recolors and/or reusings of multiple monsters, it's pretty funny to me.
DQ Humanity is just built different 🤷.

You could also argue that the descriptions that have vague or non definitive wording along with hear say descriptions could simply be possibly at best.

With the way it’s worded, I would assume it’s with speed.

It probably does, but using the English version for now, it seems pretty immeasurable. Nice, thanks for the descriptions. Stellar feats are surprisingly common among post-game monsters. From FanofRPGs DQ10 blog, there was a monster that destroys solar systems and another with a star level feat iirc. The DQ9 description isn’t very specific, so I’m not sure if we count it.

Yea, especially among the demon lords. Plenty of people can “offer their soul” to demon lords, others have feats of making souls relive their death over and over, Zoma forcing Baramos’ soul to fight and possess a skeleton, Baramos eating souls, etc.

Lol. Just to note, I feel like we could separate monster keys with different variants (for example, Dessert Demon, Archdemon, and Belial would all be on the same profile with different keys and abilities).
Doesn't the Tockle and Tickington also exist outside of time? I believe the Tockle are said to be time itself? I'd need to look for it again. It's been awhile, but I think Calamos and The End of Time had similar arguments for existing above time?
Not necessarily the tockles, but I’m pretty sure Tickington exists outside of space-time. End of Time had a space-time shattering feat (not really combat applicable, but space-time manip nonetheless), and Timewyrm comes from an alternate universe.

Mordegon and Calasmos also seem to have Corruption (Type 2), via the Vicious and Malicious monsters, which become under evil influence after they arrive.

DQ11 monsters also have a similar ability to the Demon Clan from Dragon Ball (Demon King Piccolo's group) where those killed by them are unable to peacefully pass on to the afterlife and are stuck to roam the world as spirits.

In the DB pages it's listed as Soul Banishment (which is a combination of Soul Manipulation and BFR).

DQ11 monsters also have a similar ability to the Demon Clan from Dragon Ball (Demon King Piccolo's group) where those killed by them are unable to peacefully pass on to the afterlife and are stuck to roam the world as spirits.

In the DB pages it's listed as Soul Banishment (which is a combination of Soul Manipulation and BFR).
When does this happen?

When does this happen?
It's been a long time, but I remember it being brought up whenever you and your grandpa visit the ruins of that kingdom and basically hold like a funeral to help the spirits pass on. But I could remembering the wrong event (but I do vividly remember the unable to pass on part being in the game).

It's been a long time, but I remember it being brought up whenever you and your grandpa visit the ruins of that kingdom and basically hold like a funeral to help the spirits pass on. But I could remembering the wrong event (but I do vividly remember the unable to pass on part being in the game).
I feel that more tradition rather than actually being implied they didn’t pass. The only spirit who really didn’t pass was Erdwin’s, who got tortured by a lion.

I feel that more tradition rather than actually being implied they didn’t pass. The only spirit who really didn’t pass was Erdwin’s, who got tortured by a lion.
Found it:

And no he refers to it in a factual and literal manner, and we literally see the souls (which appear as glowing butterflies) pass on. So yeah I'm pretty sure it's a literal thing.

I appreciate how DQ XI is pretty easy to make keys for the main cast (Act I, II, and III) unlike in most of the other games where it's sort of guessing game of where to separate the keys.

Found it:

And no he refers to it in a factual and literal manner, and we literally see the souls (which appear as glowing butterflies) pass on. So yeah I'm pretty sure it's a literal thing.

Interesting, that’s pretty cool
I appreciate how DQ XI is pretty easy to make keys for the main cast (Act I, II, and III) unlike in most of the other games where it's sort of guessing game of where to separate the keys.
Yea, same with the DQ5 Hero. There’s no real point in most of the other games where you can divide an early and mid-game key, since they just gradually get stronger overtime, so I think it would be reasonable to merge early and mid game keys. There are certain points where characters are shown to get massive buffs (usually at the end of game). You can pin point some of them, like when the Hero’s Son (DQ5), gets the last of the Zenithian equipment.

You could probably argue that DQ XI monsters soul Banishment could also apply to at least the monsters of the overworld (aka the planet that XI and most of III take place in), maybe even the Erdrick timeline (so I, II, III, VII, and XI).

You could probably argue that DQ XI monsters soul Banishment could also apply to at least the monsters of the overworld (aka the planet that XI and most of III take place in), maybe even the Erdrick timeline (so I, II, III, VII, and XI).
I feel it would apply to every monster (even those in other worlds). Also, I’m pretty sure 7 isn’t apart of the Erdrick Trilogy. The plot for a majority of monsters games is that they travel to a different world (Terry goes to Great Tree, Kiefer goes from his world to Torland, etc).

I feel it would apply to every monster (even those in other worlds). Also, I’m pretty sure 7 isn’t apart of the Erdrick Trilogy. The plot for a majority of monsters games is that they travel to a different world (Terry goes to Great Tree, Kiefer goes from his world to Torland, etc).
I remember there being a DQ manga that connected DQ II to DQ VII where the Prince of Midenhall flies up the reopened hole up to the overworld but when he gets there he arrives at the time of God and Orgo's big battle which ***** up the overworld. Forgot the name of it though.

Also tbf the overworld and Torland might likely be separate dimensions.

I remember there being a DQ manga that connected DQ II to DQ VII where the Prince of Midenhall flies up the reopened hole up to the overworld but when he gets there he arrives at the time of God and Orgo's big battle which ***** up the overworld. Forgot the name of it though.

Also tbf the overworld and Torland might likely be separate dimensions.
I don’t think a manga adaptation to a video game would be canon to the game’s canon (it’s usually never the case unless specified).

Torland is definitely a different dimension. Zoma had to tear a hole in space to access the Overworld anyways (the same hole that closes after he gets killed)

I don’t think a manga adaptation to a video game would be canon to the game’s canon (it’s usually never the case unless specified).

Torland is definitely a different dimension. Zoma had to tear a hole in space to access the Overworld anyways (the same hole that closes after he gets killed)
Fair enough, although these mangas do give nice answers for certain things. But I won't argue much over it.

I think certain ideas brought up in Dai might've impacted and influenced the main series.

Like I think it's possible Aura might've been implemented into the games in a slightly subtle way.

I think certain ideas brought up in Dai might've impacted and influenced the main series.

Like I think it's possible Aura might've been implemented into the games in a slightly subtle way.
I mean, I could see Dai implementing things since it’s its own thing rather than an adaptation/based off of the games. One of them might be the stupid thing Vearn does with frizz (I don’t know much about it to say things for sure, but it seemed noteworthy)

I mean, I could see Dai implementing things since it’s its own thing rather than an adaptation/based off of the games. One of them might be the stupid thing Vearn does with frizz (I don’t know much about it to say things for sure, but it seemed noteworthy)
I meant as in the main series possibly implementing stuff that was thought off in Dai.

Did you just call the Kaiser Phoenix stupid?...ain't no way bro 💀.

I meant as in the main series possibly implementing stuff that was thought off in Dai.

Did you just call the Kaiser Phoenix stupid?...ain't no way bro 💀.
Oh, I was talking about Dai having things that could be implemented in the games.

No, I’m talking about how his Frizz is way stronger than Kafrizz.

Back