• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Episode 63: I'm officially a D*ck and welp time limits are a thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
From previous thread.

AKM sama said:
I don't let power scaling ruin DB for me.
@Pann

That's what DB is always about. Strength really is absolute.
I just watched the episode with subs and for me it was bad. Especially the lines about Friendship were the most shone generic ones that I have seen. Reminded me of Nakama power ups of Fairy Tail. Toei ruinned UI for me.

Imma make the next one and if you do this again.....

Well gimme your address so I can come to your house and beat you up like Goku beat Jiren

not OVO

Just because that it is a cliche that it is better to have good friends than being lonely, doesn't mean that it is not true.

@AKM sama SS1 had Krillin death and it was first time and that's somewhat acceptable. SS2 is rage transfromation. Here UI is neither and he becomes stronger because of Nakama power but UI should be a tech/form others have so it doesn't make sense for Goku to get stronger like that. Too much Fairy tail level of bad power up.

This is the exact same power up which happens through emotions and it happens all the time in DB.

Remember when Goku first killed King Piccolo? He turned ssj1 due to the loss of Krillin, which again is a transformation through emotions. Gohan's ssj2 was also because of emotions. Remember when Goku kept on getting stronger and stronger in SSG while fighting Beerus due to the exact same feelings this episode had? Remember when he heard Zamasu killed his family? Remember when Vegeta got SSJBE? Remember when Vegeta overpowered Toppo because of the same feelings? Remember Trunks? Kale? They all were driven by emotions.

This is the same thing, he got stronger because he can't stand losing everyone else. This is not something new to DB.

I can see why people are only focusing on that friendship pep talk and comparing it with Fairy Tail, but no, this is 100% DB.

Friendship might be a very overused and sometimes cheesy trope, but I really like the contrast it shows between Goku and Jiren's character.

Goku's someone who's started off having many enemies that he had to fight against. Overtime he's gained their trust and they became valuable allies that he can trust as well. Every major victory he's had since he had to rely on these friends in some way or another (Raditz assisted by Piccolo, Vegeta assisted by the Z Fighters, Frieza finished off by Trunks, Cell mostly defeated by Gohan, Buu with the Spirit Bomb). And throughout this tournament Goku's been getting ass saved by his allies.

Jiren on the other hand is someone who started off having many friends that he would fight alongside with. Overtime his trust in them had failed him. Now he only relies on his own strength whenever he fights. And throughout the tournament he hasn't at all received any help from his team mates whatsoever, or at least none that he at all needed in the slightest.

Goku is someone who earned friendships over time and has been helped by his friends his whole life. Jiren is someone who lost friendships over time and has been hurt and betrayed by his friends his whole life.

Goku may ultimately be right and Jiren ultimately be wrong, but their different perspectives are very understandable given the life experiences each had. I enjoyed seeing this clash of ideaologies, even if in the form of a few cheesy, Fairy Tail esque friendship lines.

AKM sama said:
This is the exact same power up which happens through emotions and it happens all the time in DB.
Remember when Goku first killed King Piccolo? He turned ssj1 due to the loss of Krillin, which again is a transformation through emotions. Gohan's ssj2 was also because of emotions. Remember when Goku kept on getting stronger and stronger in SSG while fighting Beerus due to the exact same feelings this episode had? Remember when he heard Zamasu killed his family? Remember when Vegeta got SSJBE? Remember when Vegeta overpowered Toppo because of the same feelings? Remember Trunks? Kale? They all were driven by emotions.

This is the same thing, he got stronger because he can't stand losing everyone else. This is not something new to DB.

I can see why people are only focusing on that friendship pep talk and comparing it with Fairy Tail, but no, this is 100% DB.
Yeah if anything Fairy Tail ripped off "friendship power" from Dragon Ball and many other series lol

Also I find it a bit funny when people trash Fairy Tail or Dragon Ball extremely hard for this trope when it a series they like is very likely to also have it lol

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThePowerOfFriendship

AKM sama said:
Remember when Goku first killed King Piccolo? He turned ssj1 due to the loss of Krillin, which again is a transformation through emotions. Gohan's ssj2 was also because of emotions. Remember when Goku kept on getting stronger and stronger in SSG while fighting Beerus due to the exact same feelings this episode had? Remember when he heard Zamasu killed his family.

UI is not exclusive to Goku though. His other SAIYAN BASED tranformations can somewhat be accepted and have the rage trait. UI is not a tranformation through emotions and not a Saiyan one. Its not like I can not accept the friendship power up since it has been done before but here is bad.

The friendship pep talk was overused and even I know that it made contrast with Jiren's background I didn't like it at all. And Jiren's background is too poor to begin with to even care.

Too chessy for me.

UI is a technique or state of mind for angels.

It is also a transformation for Goku though. They made it clear with their tweets and character statements.

AKM sama said:
UI is a technique or state of mind for angels.
It is also a transformation for Goku though. They made it clear with their tweets and character statements.
Yes but even Toriyama said its not like the other transformation of Super Saiyan but something different. So it still doesn't make sense.

It's different because it doesn't only boost the stats but also allows Goku to achieve that state of mind and use that technique.

Takami: But you have to be careful not to let Dragon Ball get too sentimental. You've got to protect the world that Toriyama-sensei created. Vegeta adds some good flavoring into the mix.

^^ Yeah yeah.... Toei lols...

AKM sama said:
It's different because it doesn't only boost the stats but also allows Goku to achieve that state of mind and use that technique.
No reason to be that different for Goku. Beeurus even considers it the same that tech that the Gods can not easily attain.

Also, glad that the stamina issue was now addressed but it should have been way sooner. Bad writing. Toei made losing stamina = getting stronger instead of weaker.

After watching some of those videos where huge amount of people of all age came together to watch DBS, sing the intro song together, cheer together and go wild together, I'm starting to believe in that meme which says DB can really bring world peace lol

Also, another thing I would like to say that one thing that separates Goku from other shonen protags is that he his main motivation is getting stronger not being a warrior of justice/caring to protect his friends.

I'm surprised how nobody pointed out how 17 tricked and made a fool out of everybody, the GoDs, angels, GP, etc.

Or maybe we'll find out next episode that GP knew all along, but still lmao.

@AKM Grand Priest wanted the Omni-Kings to be entertained by the surprise twist ovo

Goku's as a character is no warrior of justice. He is a fighter yes. However, he knows he must protect his allies. This is proven and eveb stated that his allies are important to him. He isn't perfect or as Superman-ish as the dub portrayed him. He still has his values and morals.

╬Ü╬ƒ╬£╬Ö╬× said:
No reason to be that different for Goku. Beeurus even considers it the same that tech that the Gods can not easily attain.

Also, glad that the stamina issue was now addressed but it should have been way sooner. Bad writing. Toei made losing stamina = getting stronger instead of weaker.
Nah. Taking away Goku's stamina when he is on the brink of victory is a very outdated trope, not good writing. Also, just like you work out at the gym, you lose stamina and get tired, but get stronger as a result. This is exactly the case here.

Stryk3r1337 said:
╬Ü╬ƒ╬£╬Ö╬× said:

Nah. Taking away Goku's stamina when he is on the brink of victory is a very outdated trope, not good writing. Also, just like you work out at the gym, you lose stamina and get tired, but get stronger as a result. This is exactly the case here.
It should have happened way sooner. But also Toei did make in many occassions of the arc and even UI transf that losing stamina makes you stronger and not weaker. Prime examples Goku and Vegeta.

inb4 Zeno did not erase Jiren for that cheap shot at the stands because he couldn't see a thing.

Do you guys think Jiren should have a "Limit Breaker" key now? I mean previously he was getting roflstomped by MUI at his "Full Power" but then Jiren extended himself beyond his Full Power and fought toe to toe with him somewhat.

Besides his justification is way too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back