• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Palito266

He/Him
Good evening yet again, today I will present to you some miscellaneous abilities of DMC that were found by me whilst I was doing a research on a bigger project on the same verse. This should be fairly easy to add anyway, so here it is:

- 1) Air Manipulation: The Demon World can cause the air to be filled with an acidic flavor.

- 2) Shapeshifting: Demons can change their body into objects or people, being able to transform into Devil Arms. Demons like Trish or Sparda can use other forms to infiltrate certain places.

- 3) Negation of Elemental Intangibility: Blood-Goyles are stated to be liquid and when they get hit, the multiply into different enemies. However, in cutscenes, Dante can easily kill and pierce them with sword attacks or punch attacks with no problem.

- 4) Passive Forcefield Creation and Passive Aura (When angered): Basically, it shows how the debris of the castle falls on top of Dante, but his aura breaks them as if nothing happened.

- 5) More Vehicular Mastery (Aerial): Dante can fly a plane, dodging rocks and objects in a dangerous cave.

- 6) Body Control (For Devil Sword Sparda): Can transform into a sickle and extend at will.

- 7) Unholy Manipulation and Plasma Manipulation (Via Nightmare Beta): Dante can use Nightmare-Beta, which uses his Devil Trigger energy to launch plasma beams.

- 8) More Empowerment: Thanks to the full moon, Hybrids like Dante get empowered by the Moon's power and they're unusually euphoric as well as having heightened senses. Nero can grab eyes of demons and embed them in his Arm, powering him further with the powers of the demon.

- 9) Animal Manipulation (With Nevan): Nevan can summon bats that attack the enemy.

- 10) Purification (Via Holy Star): The Holy Star allows Dante to purify his body, thus negating the poison.

- 11) Self-Sustenance (Type 1): Dante can survive in space and fly in space.

- 12) Energy Manipulation, Plus Weapon Creation, plus Explosion Manipulation and plus Magic (With Lucifer): Lucifer is a weapon that allows Dante to create more magic swords that explode on contact. This weapon also allows Dante to create and attack with an energy sword.

- 13) More Danmaku and Homing Attack: Dante can throw several fireballs at the enemy following him.

- 14) Afterimage Creation: When moving in Sin Devil Trigger, can leave residual images].

- 15) More Air Manipulation (With Rebellion): Dante can leave air curtains with Rebellion's swords.

- 16) Plus Holy Manipulation (With Beowulf): Beowulf's gauntlets allow Dante to do more damage through divine retribution, having divine power.

- 17) Danmaku (With Ebony and Ivory): Dante's guns can fire very quickly.

- 18) Immersion: Both Dante and Vergil can move and pass through mirrors.

- 19) Plus Electricity Manipulation (With Alastor): Alastor possesses the power of lightning.

- 20) Plus Homing Attack (With Swords): Dante and other characters can throw their swords so that they chase the enemy and hit him constantly.

- 21) Damage Reduction: Normal weapons do less damage to demons, and are in fact unable to be killed by any modern weapon that exists.

- 22) More layers of Corrosion Inducement, Illusion Creation, Corruption (Type 2) and Statistics Reduction: One of the Demon World nexuses that was to transform the entire Human World had the same presence as the Oz Club and the Hospital, only in a greater magnitude. These effects kill a normal person, being something that weakens you and corrodes the environment. This also causes illusions, fear, despair, insanity and reduces one's strength. The effect on Mallet Island is much greater than in the First Novel, since Dante had to adapt to the effects of this environment (when he had already done so previously) to keep going and not succumb to the effects of the Demon World.
  • Demon World > Mallet Island > Demon World Nexus > Oz Club and Hospital

- 23) Buff to Empathic Manipulation, Madness Manipulation and Fear Manipulation of demons: As we saw before, the soul contains the emotions (which are metaphysical and transcendental) of an individual. The point is that all these effects reach into the person's soul, making an analogy like destroying it (referring to his will). This is surprisingly consistent, since if the emotions are metaphysical and are in the soul, it is kind of intuitive that already a Fear Hax ability that affects the emotions can affect the soul.

- 24) Resistance to Fusionism and Parasitic Diseases: Dante is able to fight against the Infestant, which is a parasite that fuses with the victim, including tanks and machines, to bring them to life and take over their body.

- 25) Resistance to Ice Manipulation: Dante can perfectly break the ice that freezes him.

- 26) Resistance to Electricity Manipulation: Dante Casually can stay alive after being struck by lightning and millions of volts constantly passing through his body.

- 27) Resistance to Retrocognition and Clairvoyance: Dante can resist Chen's influence with the Beastheads as listed in the profile, which can see the present and the past.

That should be all, thank you for reading!
Later I will be posting the more contentious revisions.

Elemental intangibility negation doesn't make any sense when it's just him interacting with intangible beings in the first place. The air manipulation stuff sounds more like corruption than anything. Neutral on the layers atm but the rest looks fine.

I could swear some of these abilities were already there, but yeah, I agree with Glassman's take

Note that some of Dante's feats here are not to be added on Sparda's Physiology, but on his profile instead

I could swear some of these abilities were already there, but yeah, I agree with Glassman's take

Note that some of Dante's feats here are not to be added on Sparda's Physiology, but on his profile instead
Believe it or not, there is lots of abilities missing on his page, only now we are adding the rest of his dmc 4 weapon abilities.
Also in regards to agreeing with the mod take, are you saying the elemental intangibility negation is just intangibility negation then?

- 1) Air Manipulation: The Demon World can cause the air to be filled with an acidic flavor.
I don't see how this would be an ability for demons themselves.

I'm not comfortable assuming some unmentioned negation just because the two sources of information appear to contradict eachother. Besides that, in the cut scene they appear to be just bursting into blood. I am not sure that this means they are permanently dead.

- 4) Passive Forcefield Creation and Passive Aura (When angered): Basically, it shows how the debris of the castle falls on top of Dante, but his aura breaks them as if nothing happened.
Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't look like anything happens? The debris appears to stop just short of Dante, landing at his feet. It doesn't look like his aura deflects anything.
Isn't that more like shapeshifting? I suppose it's fine either way.

Does having a plasma gun grant "plasma manip" for characters, typically?

Are they in space? There are clouds around.

This just looks like the illustration demonstrating the swing. I wouldn't call this air manip.

For Danmaku, I would need more indication that the amount reaches the specified threshold described in the Danmaku page.

- 18) Immersion: Both Dante and Vergil can move and pass through mirrors.
Immersion specifies that it has to be a boundary between fiction and reality. Mirrors as portals is not immersion unto itself.

This doesn't appear to be damage reduction, and is just a statement of durability.

- 22) More layers of Corrosion Inducement, Illusion Creation, Corruption (Type 2) and Statistics Reduction: One of the Demon World nexuses that was to transform the entire Human World had the same presence as the Oz Club and the Hospital, only in a greater magnitude. These effects kill a normal person, being something that weakens you and corrodes the environment. This also causes illusions, fear, despair, insanity and reduces one's strength. The effect on Mallet Island is much greater than in the First Novel, since Dante had to adapt to the effects of this environment (when he had already done so previously) to keep going and not succumb to the effects of the Demon World.
  • Demon World > Mallet Island > Demon World Nexus > Oz Club and Hospital
I'm not sure these are layers.

- 23) Buff to Empathic Manipulation, Madness Manipulation and Fear Manipulation of demons: As we saw before, the soul contains the emotions (which are metaphysical and transcendental) of an individual. The point is that all these effects reach into the person's soul, making an analogy like destroying it (referring to his will). This is surprisingly consistent, since if the emotions are metaphysical and are in the soul, it is kind of intuitive that already a Fear Hax ability that affects the emotions can affect the soul.
All of these talk about locational effects, except for the wolf howl causing fear, which Im not sure is universal to all demons.

Is this a special ability of Dante or is this just something everyone can do?

Breaking ice is not resistance to ice manip.

This is just a durability feat, no?

- 27) Resistance to Retrocognition and Clairvoyance: Dante can resist Chen's influence with the Beastheads as listed in the profile, which can see the present and the past.
How is that resistance?

Nothing in the ice manipulation page specifies that. The fact that it was accepted on another profile doesn't establish that its a correct usage.

So, I am still a disagree for that. Breaking ice isn't resistance to ice manip.

What part of the ice manipulation page has anything to do with the resistance side of things? Again, numerous other pages have this for the same reason by by being frozen on the spot only to break out of it easily with no ill effects towards the body. If you disagree with it, then make a standard change on how we treat ice resistances, because you're gonna have to get rid of this from so many pages who have it from that alone.

If you're saying there is a page on the wiki that establishes this, then please show it to me and we can consider the matter settled.

However, if the only justification is that it was accepted in other circumstances, that is not a good reason. That's just whataboutism.

If you're saying there is a page on the wiki that establishes this, then please show it to me and we can consider the matter settled.
No one is saying that there is a page in the wiki that elaborates on resistance to ice manip, only that there is nothing regarding resistance to ice manip in the ice manip page, so why are u even using that page as your excuse to deny it when many other verses uses the same reasoning. There isn't any formally established page or explanation regarding resistance to a lot of abilities in the first place.
However, if the only justification is that it was accepted in other circumstances, that is not a good reason. That's just whataboutism.
Please refrain from strawmanning.
Again, numerous other pages have this for the same reason by by being frozen on the spot only to break out of it easily with no ill effects towards the body. If you disagree with it, then make a standard change on how we treat ice resistances, because you're gonna have to get rid of this from so many pages who have it from that alone.
If u have an issue with it, then make a site wide CRT cos it involves a lot of verses not a single verse and we will obviously comply to any new changes to site standards.

There isn't any formally established page or explanation regarding resistance to a lot of abilities in the first place.
Okay. Then what is the issue? If there's no established rule, I am free to disagree.

Please refrain from strawmanning.
I'm not. If a different reasoning is providing I can engage with that, but so far the only response to me has been "but these people have it for this reason." Plenty of abilities get accepted for bad reasons. The Demon Physiology page gives demons "resistance to pain manip" for a scan that says they're immune to human weapons, which is entirely non sensical. If someone makes a CRT attempting to establish that for someone else, the fact that the Demon Physiology page has it doesn't make it acceptable, it just means both are wrong.

If u have an issue with it, then make a site wide CRT cos it involves a lot of verses not a single verse and we will obviously comply to any new changes to site standards.
I'm not going to make a site wide CRT because as you have pointed out, there is no official standard for me to revise. I disagree with this application. If I am brought to a CRT that addresses whether Doomsday should have it on such a basis, I would also disagree there.

Okay. Then what is the issue? If there's no established rule, I am free to disagree.
There are unspoken and unwritten rules. That was my implication. If the large majority of the wiki treats it in one way then why only one verse is targeted, change the rules of the wiki itself in general and formalize it. I am all in for it, if u wanna formalize the resistance for a general list of abilities and what should count as resistance for them.

Also, can u elaborate on what u consider resistance to Ice Manip?
I'm not. If a different reasoning is providing I can engage with that, but so far the only response to me has been "but these people have it for this reason." Plenty of abilities get accepted for bad reasons.
The reasoning provided is by being frozen on the spot including the internal organs only to break out of it easily with no ill effects towards the body, if u feel this particular reasoning is bad, then u can elaborate the reasons why and make a CRT to remove it from all the pages that have it for the same reason.
The Demon Physiology page gives demons "resistance to pain manip" for a scan that says they're immune to human weapons, which is entirely non sensical. If someone makes a CRT attempting to establish that for someone else, the fact that the Demon Physiology page has it doesn't make it acceptable, it just means both are wrong.
There are plans to tackle the presentation of the profiles and pages of the entire verse and also include better justifications for its abilities and updating scans.
I'm not going to make a site wide CRT because as you have pointed out, there is no official standard for me to revise. I disagree with this application. If I am brought to a CRT that addresses whether Doomsday should have it on such a basis, I would also disagree there.
If there are no standards established, then we can all agree to disagree at everything.

- 10) Purification (Via Holy Star): The Holy Star allows Dante to purify his body, thus negating the poison.
Shouldn't this be resistance to either Poison Manip or Status Effect Inducement?

This should be written like "Dante can fly and survive in space". It'd also give him Radiation resistance, as he's not affected by the Cosmic radiation rays while in space, it seems

Moving in high speed+guns who fire quickly ≠ danmaku, afaik

Some parts like Corruption I am not exactly knowledgeable so I won't be speaking about.
I can se reasoning on most of what I didn't talk about, so what's not rejected I agree

It's the beginning part where there is stars at 49:40 of the video, palito clipped it to the point they're in space.
The cloud part is a bit after all that when Mundus and Dante travel up and towards a star, landing on some rock to fight.

I don't see how this would be an ability for demons themselves.
It says Demon World, not demons.

I'm not comfortable assuming some unmentioned negation just because the two sources of information appear to contradict eachother. Besides that, in the cut scene they appear to be just bursting into blood. I am not sure that this means they are permanently dead.
In gameplay and description it says they separate when attacked, so unless you can prove they also explode, I don't see how he didn't kill them.

Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't look like anything happens? The debris appears to stop just short of Dante, landing at his feet. It doesn't look like his aura deflects anything.
It breaks when it hits Dante's aura. His aura acts as a shield that destroys debris, 'tis minor stuff but yeah.

Isn't that more like shapeshifting? I suppose it's fine either way.
Body Control and Shapeshifting overlap each other a lot, but I suppose either is fine for this. Only for the weapon though.

Does having a plasma gun grant "plasma manip" for characters, typically?
Like humans having Fire Manipulation via Fire Weapons, yes.

It's a universe with stars, this has been debated a lot so I'm not going to say much about this.

This just looks like the illustration demonstrating the swing. I wouldn't call this air manip.
It directly states that it's an air blade and in-game it's depicted as such.

For Danmaku, I would need more indication that the amount reaches the specified threshold described in the Danmaku page.
For the SDT Fireballs, it's very obvious there's 20+ projectiles being fired in a short time-frame.
For the guns, based on the game depiction, I think it fits the bill, maybe.

Immersion specifies that it has to be a boundary between fiction and reality. Mirrors as portals is not immersion unto itself.
Ig you're right since mirrors are a reflection of reality in DMC.

I'm not sure these are layers.
Yes, yes they are. They're literally stated to be a "magnitude greater" and Dante had to adapt to the strengthened effects when he already adapted to the weaker one.

All of these talk about locational effects, except for the wolf howl causing fear, which Im not sure is universal to all demons.
Beastheads can do this soul effect.
DWE can do this soul effect.
Unless you can prove that wolf was different from any other demon, Fear Hax, Empathic Hax and Madness Hax is already accepted to be universal among demons due to their aura and presence.

Breaking ice is not resistance to ice manip.
The definition of Anti-Hax/Resistance is: "Resistance is the power to withstand the effects of certain abilities through varying means. The highest degree of resistance is outright Immunity, supposedly making the user in question completely unaffected by such abilities.
Of course, simple resistance to one showing of an ability isn't enough to ignore all uses of that ability, as some applications may be far stronger, while others may work differently, meaning they must be resisted differently. As a result, when resistance is listed on a page, it's important to describe the specifics.

As you can see in the video, Dante got frozen from head to toe, which would include vital organs and other important stuff, but he broke out anyway like it was no deal. Obviously if someone with different Ice Hax comes he might be able to affect Dante.

This is just a durability feat, no?
Electricity is energy so yes. But also it would be a resistance. Electricity can affect your internal organs such as your heart or respiratory system, ignoring durability since electricity just passes through your body.

How is that resistance?
The same way it's portrayed in the profile already. It's just that the abilities of the Beastheads can encompass the past and the present, which isn't listed in the profile.

Shouldn't this be resistance to either Poison Manip or Status Effect Inducement?
The definition for Purification is: "Purification is the act of removing contaminants from a person or object. This can either mean cleansing evil spirits or filtering out materials within a substance (ex. reverse osmosis in the purification of water). In the former case, this can be seen as a form of Soul Manipulation or Spiritual Healing and can be used as a counter to Possession. Purification can also be used to remove status effects."
Sadly there's no gameplay showcase, but the official wiki for DMC says that it removes poison. If this isn't enough, I could try booting up DMC 2 and recording myself using the item.

To the points I haven't answered, it's either because I already answered them in previous replies or I agree with them, like Dante also having Resistance to Cosmic Radiation.

It says Demon World, not demons.
Does Demon World have a profile?

In gameplay and description it says they separate when attacked, so unless you can prove they also explode, I don't see how he didn't kill them.
I'm aware of the premise of the argument. It seems more like an inconsistency, there's nothing indicating Dante can negate that, and I'm not supportive of writing in a new ability to explain the inconsistency.

It breaks when it hits Dante's aura. His aura acts as a shield that destroys debris, 'tis minor stuff but yeah.
Uh, I'll be honest, I'm not really seeing it in the video. Is this ability demonstrated anywhere else?

It directly states that it's an air blade and in-game it's depicted as such.
What do you mean by "air blade?" It just appears to be a regular sword.

For the SDT Fireballs, it's very obvious there's 20+ projectiles being fired in a short time-frame.
For the guns, based on the game depiction, I think it fits the bill, maybe.
Do we usually do that for people with guns? Like, if someone has a machine gun do we give them Danmaku? That seems weird to me. The fireballs seem like a bit of an edge case. I'm not sure it fits the bill, but the page isn't specific enough for me to say either way. It just doesn't look like a "bullet hell" sort of thing but I guess its a moot point.

Beastheads can do this soul effect.
DWE can do this soul effect.
Unless you can prove that wolf was different from any other demon, Fear Hax, Empathic Hax and Madness Hax is already accepted to be universal among demons due to their aura and presence.
Beastheads doing it and Demon World Energy doing it doesn't really mean its something every single demon can do.

Electricity can affect your internal organs such as your heart or respiratory system, ignoring durability since electricity just passes through your body.
That doesn't ignore durability. It just bypasses skin. Superman, for instance, cannot be harmed by lightning. This isn't because he has a special resistance to electricity, he's just too durable. Even his organs are too durable.

The same way it's portrayed in the profile already. It's just that the abilities of the Beastheads can encompass the past and the present, which isn't listed in the profile.
That doesn't really answer my question. What is being "resisted" and what is the mechanism for that resistance?

Yes, yes they are. They're literally stated to be a "magnitude greater" and Dante had to adapt to the strengthened effects when he already adapted to the weaker one.
Btw hax potency isn't the same as layers. Glassman can probably confirm or deny this though considering his involvement with layers related stuff.

Does Demon World have a profile?
Nope.

Uh, I'll be honest, I'm not really seeing it in the video. Is this ability demonstrated anywhere else?
Not really, it's just demonstrated in this particular cutscene. Do you notice how the debris break not even falling onto Dante, only when they touch his aura? You can try and slow down the video to 0,25x if you're having trouble seeing it.

What do you mean by "air blade?" It just appears to be a regular sword.
Drive ability releases an air current that hits the enemy. In DMC 4 you can see it more clearly.

Beastheads doing it and Demon World Energy doing it doesn't really mean its something every single demon can do.
Then it would only upgrade it to Mid-Tier Demons ig? Since the DW does it then everyone should resist this Hax.

That doesn't ignore durability. It just bypasses skin. Superman, for instance, cannot be harmed by lightning. This isn't because he has a special resistance to electricity, he's just too durable. Even his organs are too durable.
Electricity is everywhere in our body and can be everywhere. Since our bodies are made out of 70% water, our human body is so good at conducting this electricity, it would pass. You can also see in the cutscene how electricity passes through and outside Dante's model, indicating that the electricity from that lightning bolt is all over his body, but he's unaffected by it.

That doesn't really answer my question. What is being "resisted" and what is the mechanism for that resistance?
Quoting this page of the novel: "Dante realized that the powers of the Beastheads meant that his adversary could foresee every mode of attack before Dante even knew he would make it."
However when he gets serious, this happens: "'I've had enough of your crap, Chen.' Dante hurled Rebellion into the center of Chen's forehead. Chen burbled in response, spitting blood from his mouth. Dante tugged on the hilt of his sword and split Chen's head in two."
As you can clearly see, Chen couldn't predict Dante's movements "even before he made them" when he got serious, that's why his head got opened like a can of coca-cola.

Well, then that's not really a CRT right?

Not really, it's just demonstrated in this particular cutscene. Do you notice how the debris break not even falling onto Dante, only when they touch his aura? You can try and slow down the video to 0,25x if you're having trouble seeing it.
It just looks like it doesn't quite hit him or that only really small fragments do. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I am hesitant to assign an ability based on something like that.

Drive ability releases an air current that hits the enemy. In DMC 4 you can see it more clearly.
Ah, I guess if we give air manip for that sort of thing then sure.

Then it would only upgrade it to Mid-Tier Demons ig? Since the DW does it then everyone should resist this Hax.
It doesn't appear to be that demons "resist" it because they are resistant to those types of abilities, rather, DWE has a positive effect on them rather than negative.

Electricity is everywhere in our body and can be everywhere. Since our bodies are made out of 70% water, our human body is so good at conducting this electricity, it would pass. You can also see in the cutscene how electricity passes through and outside Dante's model, indicating that the electricity from that lightning bolt is all over his body, but he's unaffected by it.
I am not getting that impression really at all. I mean, how would lightning hurt someone as strong as Dante in the first place?

Quoting this page of the novel: "Dante realized that the powers of the Beastheads meant that his adversary could foresee every mode of attack before Dante even knew he would make it."
However when he gets serious, this happens: "'I've had enough of your crap, Chen.' Dante hurled Rebellion into the center of Chen's forehead. Chen burbled in response, spitting blood from his mouth. Dante tugged on the hilt of his sword and split Chen's head in two."
As you can clearly see, Chen couldn't predict Dante's movements "even before he made them" when he got serious, that's why his head got opened like a can of coca-cola.
I've just read that section of the novel again. Nothing seems to indicate that Dante can prevent that somehow, and it kind of doesn't make sense in the first place. If he is resistant to it, what would be the point of even remarking on it? When he finally lands a blow on Chen it seems as though he feigns acceptance of his defeat until Chen gets cocky, but nothing actually describes Dante doing anything to counteract the ability.

But even throughout the fight Dante remarks that despite this ability Chen cannot easily defeat Dante. When Dante reflects on facing other opponents who obtained Sparda's sword skill, he thinks of Chen as being lesser than them, which leads me to believe the "foreseeing every mode of attack" might just refer to combat skill, but in any case I dont see a solid foundation for Dante resisting it.

How is it not a CRT when Demons in DMC have resistance to Demon world shenanigans in the first place? Plus Argosax and Void Mundus have all the abilities of the Demon world with them controlling and being one with it so it absolutely would scale to the characters.

How is it not a CRT when Demons in DMC have resistance to Demon world shenanigans in the first place?
If the argument is that demons should get a resistance to it, then that's a different discussion. But I mean, the ability is simply "fills the air with an acidic taste" and is being classified as air manip. Are we going to give demons "resistance to air manip" on such a basis? What are they resisting? The experience of an acidic taste?

Plus Argosax and Void Mundus have all the abilities of the Demon world with them controlling and being one with it so it absolutely would scale to the characters.
I mean if we feel it is prudent to annotate that Argosax and Mundus can create an acidic taste in the air then I guess go nuts

Back