• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TDI2022cast.png

"The creators emphasized the diversity of the new cast, saying that it would feature several Black, Hispanic/South American, and Asian characters, an amputee, and two characters from the LGBTQ+ community"

TDI2022cast.png

"The creators emphasized the diversity of the new cast, saying that it would feature several Black, Hispanic/South American, and Asian characters, an amputee, and two characters from the LGBTQ+ community"
Why are they virtue signaling about this crap, as if they didn't already have most of this in the original series? With characters that I can already tell are much better than this lot, I might add, seeing as they were more focused on their characters, and not what race, disability status, or sexual preference they had/were.

Why are they virtue signaling about this crap, as if they didn't already have most of this in the original series? With characters that I can already tell are much better than this lot, I might add, seeing as they were more focused on their characters, and not what race, disability status, or sexual preference they had/were.
image0.jpg

And so the cycle of terminally online people seething about gay people in cartoons continues.

Last edited:
image0.jpg

And so the cycle of terminally online people seething about gay people in cartoons continues.
And so the cycle of terminally online people purposefully misconstruing what I'm saying about a cartoon continues.

Excuse me for preferring my characters, regardless of their skin color, disability status or sexuality, to be actual, well-rounded characters that are more than just those traits, which on their own just turns them into comical caricatures most of the time, rather than characters that I can get behind or feel something for. The fact that you instantly assumed I had a problem with this just because 'lul gay character' says a lot, fujiwara. Think before you type out this pre-programmed response next time, seriously.

And so the cycle of terminally online people purposefully misconstruing what I'm saying about a cartoon continues.

Excuse me for preferring my characters, regardless of their skin color, disability status or sexuality, to be actual, well-rounded characters that are more than just those traits, which on their own just turns them into comical caricatures most of the time, rather than characters that I can get behind or feel something for. The fact that you instantly assumed I had a problem with this just because 'lul gay character' says a lot, fujiwara. Think before you type out this pre-programmed response next time, seriously.
There's nothing indicating that the characters are going to be poorly written or whatever. It's literally just the creators saying there's a diverse cast. That's it. But you somehow took that and made it into "these characters suck, show's bad". If the mere mention of PoC/gay/disabled characters existing is enough to immediately make you think a show is poorly written, then I'll gladly stand by what I've said.

There's nothing indicating that the characters are going to be poorly written or whatever. It's literally just the creators saying there's a diverse cast. That's it. But you somehow took that and made it into "these characters suck, show's bad". If the mere mention of PoC/gay/disabled characters existing is enough to immediately make you think a show is poorly written, then I'll gladly stand by what I've said.
More like I've seen the track record of showrunners that pull this shit. It hardly ever ends with an actually well-written cast these days. Its one of the biggest red flags you can be given for a show, when they'd rather default to this, because vast majority of the time, its because they know their show will suck, but don't care, so long as they get to virtue signal.

Its not simply the mere mention. Its the pattern of the amount of times showrunners have emphasized this over the years, above all else, and then the show ends up being dogwater, because they didn't bother to actually write the show/characters well(Or are incapable of writing anything good to begin with).

I've watched plenty of shows where there's been PoC/gay/disabled characters in them that were actually well-written, and that I liked. That I could feel for, since they felt like real people, at least to a certain degree, rather than one-note caricatures who's sole purpose is to tick a box and nothing else.

Maybe this new season of TD will be the exception to the rule, and have the characters be actual characters that are likeable, in which case, great! But, given how the series' quality has been tanking hard over the years, I'm not gonna hold my breath much on that.

More like I've seen the track record of showrunners that pull this shit. It hardly ever ends with an actually well-written cast these days. Its one of the biggest red flags you can be given for a show, when they'd rather default to this, because vast majority of the time, its because they know their show will suck, but don't care, so long as they get to virtue signal.

Its not simply the mere mention. Its the pattern of the amount of times showrunners have emphasized this over the years, above all else, and then the show ends up being dogwater, because they didn't bother to actually write the show/characters well(Or are incapable of writing anything good to begin with).

I've watched plenty of shows where there's been PoC/gay/disabled characters in them that were actually well-written, and that I liked. That I could feel for, since they felt like real people, at least to a certain degree, rather than one-note caricatures who's sole purpose is to tick a box and nothing else.

Maybe this new season of TD will be the exception to the rule, and have the characters be actual characters that are likeable, in which case, great! But, given how the series' quality has been tanking hard over the years, I'm not gonna hold my breath much on that.
You're extrapolating a lot of shit from a quote that basically boils down to "the creators of the show say it will have a diverse cast". Like, half of that statement is something I could've gathered just by looking at the single image of the show, it's really not that deep.

I could pull the same card you are right now and say I've enjoyed plenty of stuff that openly flaunts the diversity of its cast. Whether or not the creators openly discuss that topic isn't relevant, and it's always weird seeing people start whining about 'virtue signaling' every time some new piece of media comes out where the creators say they put a gay person in it or something.

You're extrapolating a lot of shit from a quote that basically boils down to "the creators of the show say it will have a diverse cast". Like, half of that statement is something I could've gathered just by looking at the single image of the show, it's really not that deep.
"You're extrapolating a lot of shit" fujiwara, again, I've seen so many shows that had this as a tagline to promote it, and the writing ended up being terrible. Too many to count, in fact. You could argue I'm just being paranoid, but it being the case more and more often these days is a pattern that's hard to not notice.

Also, why do they need to emphasize something we can see with our eyes in the image(when it comes to the PoC/asian characters and the disabled)? I don't recall them doing that for the first series of TD. They just showed promotional images of the cast, and basically said we were in for a fun ride. Didn't feel the need to emphasize squat, they didn't need to tell us they had their black characters in DJ and LeShawna, because we could see it, and they ended up being great characters that were entertaining to watch. Same with Heather, who filled in her despicable antagonist role nicely, etc.

Again, this next season could end up being good, but given the track-record of the last few seasons of TD content, and how bad they were, I ain't gonna hold my breath on that, unless the writers are either completely different this time around, and have a track record of making decent shows, or the previous writers somehow improved their writing ability drastically from its been in the last few seasons.
I could pull the same card you are right now and say I've enjoyed plenty of stuff that openly flaunts the diversity of its cast. Whether or not the creators openly discuss that topic isn't relevant, and it's always weird seeing people start whining about 'virtue signaling' every time some new piece of media comes out where the creators say they put a gay person in it or something.
Your first point in no way counters anything. It just tells me you've witnessed the exceptions that ended up being good, in which case, good for you, glad you found those shows that didn't end up being a waste of time watching. And what you call 'whining' is more like my open concern for those characters being nothing other than tokens made just to tick a box. I'm sick to death of seeing that lazy-ass shit.

I'll watch this upcoming season of TD, just so you know, hoping that I'm wrong, and that the creators will do more with them than simply have them be a tick in the box for the sake of diversity and nothing else.

As much as I love the Mario RPGs, they got pretty mean spirited towards Luigi at times. Especially the earlier M&Ls, he’s flat out disrespected by a lot of NPCs to a ridiculous point, that didn’t quite get fixed until Dream Team. In Paper Mario, Mario literally left Luigi behind to sit at home, in TTYD he would literally fall the **** asleep as his brother told him abt his adventures, most of the series portrayed him as a timid coward, the infamous Power Tennis scene, in Galaxy he’s literally pissing himself in a ghost house waiting for Mario to save him, etc etc. DB didn’t treat Luigi poorly at all, thats just how Luigi was (and kind of still is at times) portrayed in the series.

he has his heroic moments and in spite of his cowardice/timidness, he’ll still be a hero and try to do what’s right, he depends on his brother a lot but can step up to the plate if needed, that’s what makes him so endearing, and I think they got all that down just fine.

Prayers for your dog

"You're extrapolating a lot of shit" fujiwara, again, I've seen so many shows that had this as a tagline to promote it, and the writing ended up being terrible. Too many to count, in fact. You could argue I'm just being paranoid, but it being the case more and more often these days is a pattern that's hard to not notice.

Also, why do they need to emphasize something we can see with our eyes in the image(when it comes to the PoC/asian characters and the disabled)? I don't recall them doing that for the first series of TD. They just showed promotional images of the cast, and basically said we were in for a fun ride. Didn't feel the need to emphasize squat, they didn't need to tell us they had their black characters in DJ and LeShawna, because we could see it, and they ended up being great characters that were entertaining to watch. Same with Heather, who filled in her despicable antagonist role nicely, etc.

Again, this next season could end up being good, but given the track-record of the last few seasons of TD content, and how bad they were, I ain't gonna hold my breath on that, unless the writers are either completely different this time around, and have a track record of making decent shows, or the previous writers somehow improved their writing ability drastically from its been in the last few seasons.

Your first point in no way counters anything. It just tells me you've witnessed the exceptions that ended up being good, in which case, good for you, glad you found those shows that didn't end up being a waste of time watching. And what you call 'whining' is more like my open concern for those characters being nothing other than tokens made just to tick a box. I'm sick to death of seeing that lazy-ass shit.

I'll watch this upcoming season of TD, just so you know, hoping that I'm wrong, and that the creators will do more with them than simply have them be a tick in the box for the sake of diversity and nothing else.
Then just... wait and see. You don't need to write multiple paragraphs to get across the idea of "well it could be good but it could also be bad". It has nothing to do with virtue signaling, or the diversity of the cast, or what have you. The creators could come out and say "yeah this show is gonna suck" and it wouldn't impact the quality of the show whatsoever, and the same goes for literally any statement they could make. No show's quality has ever been dictated by pre-release statements.

And honestly? If the show does suck? How exactly is that going to be the fault of one thing the creators said before the show even released and not, y'know, poor writing, mismanagement, budget issues, editorial disputes, or any number of things that actually contribute to a show?

The creators could come out and say "yeah this show is gonna suck" and it wouldn't impact the quality of the show whatsoever, and the same goes for literally any statement they could make. No show's quality has ever been dictated by pre-release statements.
Ngl, if a creator said that their show was gonna suck pre-release, that’s an instant must-watch lmao. I love creators that are willing to **** around like that.

And honestly? If the show does suck? How exactly is that going to be the fault of one thing the creators said before the show even released and not, y'know, poor writing, mismanagement, budget issues, editorial disputes, or any number of things that actually contribute to a show?
The statement itself isn't the fault. Its more of a sign that they won't be focusing on what they should be. This is all marketing, at the end of the day, and if the first thing they're marketing is about how diverse they've made the cast, it typically doesn't bode well, not because they have those kinds of characters in there, but because they're banking on certain people watching solely because they threw in a so-and-so character, regardless of the quality with which they'll write said character or characters, which again, is typically very poorly.

An example is that Crunchyroll show, High Guardian Spice, which the creators constantly hyped up as being diverse, and that was pretty much all they were worried about, and the show was a steaming pile of dogshit because they hyper-fixated on stuff that should be secondary.

Kinda wish Piccolo didn’t get transformations tbh. Piccolo vs Magus would go harder with base form vs base form.
Plot wise it could go with Magus gaining a seeming upper hand against Piccolo just for Piccolo to go super mode and kill Magus.

Anyone already knowing what MU it is for the coming Community Death Battle? Like, has it been announced in the recent Death Battle Cast which is available to the public only on Saturday 1am SGT?

Last edited:
TDI2022cast.png

Seems kinda messed up to put an amputee in a mostly athletics based competition no?
Now I need them to hand another cartoon character a win.
latest
what MUs does he have?

Nah big dawg my boi Piccolo needed something good after being treated like shit for a damn near decade

plus i need Fanta mode to pull a no sell when he transform
Piccolo getting a transformation was a topic for years, but many were fearful of how it could be pulled properly.

Kinda glad that Orange Piccolo is different enough to not come as too simple or boring, but not too outlandish to be ridiculously or "try-hard".

Piccolo getting a transformation was a topic for years, but many were fearful of how it could be pulled properly.

Kinda glad that Orange Piccolo is different enough to not come as too simple or boring, but not too outlandish to be ridiculously or "try-hard".
i say Fanta is easily the better transformations that came from Super

Thinking about it real hard, even SSJ1 is kinda basic transformation of yellow & spikier hair & green eyes.

Toriyama just forgot SSJ2 because it looks so similar and SSJ3 is kinda silly in itself.

So DBS forms are kinda following trend of DBZ transformations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back