• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on Vegeta vs Thor: Great voice acting (especially on Lani's end, no surprise), analysis and research seem fine (even if that post analysis illustrated why Dragon Ball is a boring headache and half to use nowadays, it's just speculation and upscaling from the same feat from over ), killshot was creative if not the Godblast vs Final Flash I wanted, no egregiously unfunny jokes but nothing that really made me laugh either, track sounds good though probably not my favourite of the season. 8/10.

Thoughts on Omni-Man vs Homelander: Oh, boy. The epitome of a casual filler matchup done solely for views, and one that I have next to no interest in whatsoever. There's no real debate over who wins, and while I'm in the camp that thinks a matchup being a stomp is OK if it has other things to make up for it, this just ... doesn't. Literally the only thing I could see this episode doing that's fun is have Nolan just no-sell everything Homelander does, Homelander gradually going from smug to furious to ******** himself with fear, while Nolan goes from stern to serious to realising that he's got the W on a silver platter.

The fact we're probably not going to see Hancock vs Homelander or Bardock vs Omni-Man for at least 3-4 years bare minimum is just salt in the wound. I'm also kinda worried that this is just going to be "References: the Fight". Like, you know there's going to try and recreate the train scene and the "Think" meme and the "X isn't yours to conquer". References are cool and can be done right, but crossovers like this are a prime opportunity to get creative with how skillsets interact, but the abilities here are so basic that you really can't do that much.

Also four of our first five episodes are comic matchups baby lets go

While on the topic of "Death Battle just doing matchups for views", this entire debacle has got me doing some mental gymnastics to figure out if it's possible to make a Death Battle Season that:
  • Doesn't use a franchise more than once (you can't cheat and use spinoffs)
  • Is commercially viable (as in, each episode should do decently well at the very least (independent of external factors, e.g. new releases, rereleases, etc.), meaning yes, this is trending more towards mainstream requests while still complying with rule 1)
  • Uses matchups that are highly and/or consistently requested amongst both casual audiences and the main community
With that said, I've concocted the following lineup so far without any franchise overlap. Pick any 16-20 matchups listed here, I'm sure it'd make a season that's good at the very least (matchup-wise, anyway).
  1. Captain America vs Kamen Rider Ichigo (MARVEL, Kamen Rider)
  2. Giorno vs Joker (Jojo, Persona)
  3. Bowser vs Eggman (Mario, Sonic)
  4. Mewtwo vs BlackWarGreymon (Pokemon, Digimon)
  5. SCP-682 vs Doomsday (SCP, DC)
  6. Orochimaru vs Medusa Gorgon (Naruto, Soul Eater)
  7. Lord Zedd vs Skeletor (Power Rangers, He-Man)
  8. Mordecai & Rigby vs Finn & Jake (Regular Show, Adventure Time)
  9. Eren vs Ken (Attack on Titan, Tokyo Ghoul)
  10. Steve vs Terrarian (Minecraft, Terraria)
  11. Chosen Undead vs Dragonborn (Dark Souls, Elder Scrolls)
  12. Vader vs Saber (Star Wars, Fate)
  13. Gru vs Megamind (Despicable Me, Megamind)
  14. Bradley vs Solidus (Fullmetal Alchemist, Metal Gear)
  15. Splinter vs Shifu (TMNT, Kung Fu Panda)
  16. Dexter vs Jimmy (Dexters Lab, Jimmy Neutron)
  17. Master Chief vs Doomslayer (Halo, Doom)
  18. Liu Kang vs Jago (Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct)
  19. Zero vs Meta Knight (Mega Man, Kirby)
  20. Nero vs Hellboy (DMC, Dark Horse)
  21. Akuma vs Roah (Street Fighter vs Fist of the North Star)
  22. Asta vs Meliodas (Black Clover, Seven Deadly Sins)
  23. Luffy vs Natsu (One Piece, Fairy Tail)
  24. Bakugo vs Shinra (MHA, Fire Force)
  25. Cell vs Dark Samus (DBZ, Metroid)
  26. Cole McGrath vs Alex Mercer (Infamous, Prototype)
  27. Springtrap vs Junko (FNaF, Danganronpa)
This list in nowhere near definitive, and has a lot of different variables, and I certainly don't expect this to actually happen. But I think it illustrates the point quite well that you could easily make a season that'd satisfy both casual and hardcore audiences without having to constantly go to capeshit. This was mostly just meant to be a fun mental exercise to see if it could be done.

Pretty much the most eloquent depiction of that MU.
Hey now let's not blame the Broly movie for that, Dragon Ball Minus came out first and that's when they made him lame
Yeah I never got the chance to read DBM but I always heard it was very controversial and polarising within the DB fandom, so when I heard parts of DBM would be incorporated into the DBS movie; Broly, I was curious to see why it triggered so much discourse within the DB fandom and suffice to say I completed understood why many disliked DBM however I believe some overreacted to how "bad" it truly was.

I’m not really a Steven Universe fan, but I really hope they don’t do Garnet dirty by having her fight Gotenks or Gogeta.
I personally think Yang should’ve fought Garnet instead of Tifa back in S2. As all the main fusion characters are wayyyyy stronger than her. So the only theme they can go on is “gauntlets”

Thoughts on Vegeta vs Thor: Great voice acting (especially on Lani's end, no surprise), analysis and research seem fine (even if that post analysis illustrated why Dragon Ball is a boring headache and half to use nowadays, it's just speculation and upscaling from the same feat from over ), killshot was creative if not the Godblast vs Final Flash I wanted, no egregiously unfunny jokes but nothing that really made me laugh either, track sounds good though probably not my favourite of the season. 8/10.

Thoughts on Omni-Man vs Homelander: Oh, boy. The epitome of a casual filler matchup done solely for views, and one that I have next to no interest in whatsoever. There's no real debate over who wins, and while I'm in the camp that thinks a matchup being a stomp is OK if it has other things to make up for it, this just ... doesn't. Literally the only thing I could see this episode doing that's fun is have Nolan just no-sell everything Homelander does, Homelander gradually going from smug to furious to ******** himself with fear, while Nolan goes from stern to serious to realising that he's got the W on a silver platter.

The fact we're probably not going to see Hancock vs Homelander or Bardock vs Omni-Man for at least 3-4 years bare minimum is just salt in the wound. I'm also kinda worried that this is just going to be "References: the Fight". Like, you know there's going to try and recreate the train scene and the "Think" meme and the "X isn't yours to conquer". References are cool and can be done right, but crossovers like this are a prime opportunity to get creative with how skillsets interact, but the abilities here are so basic that you really can't do that much.

Also four of our first five episodes are comic matchups baby lets go

While on the topic of "Death Battle just doing matchups for views", this entire debacle has got me doing some mental gymnastics to figure out if it's possible to make a Death Battle Season that:
  • Doesn't use a franchise more than once (you can't cheat and use spinoffs)
  • Is commercially viable (as in, each episode should do decently well at the very least (independent of external factors, e.g. new releases, rereleases, etc.), meaning yes, this is trending more towards mainstream requests while still complying with rule 1)
  • Uses matchups that are highly and/or consistently requested amongst both casual audiences and the main community
With that said, I've concocted the following lineup so far without any franchise overlap. Pick any 16-20 matchups listed here, I'm sure it'd make a season that's good at the very least (matchup-wise, anyway).
  1. Captain America vs Kamen Rider Ichigo (MARVEL, Kamen Rider)
  2. Giorno vs Joker (Jojo, Persona)
  3. Bowser vs Eggman (Mario, Sonic)
  4. Mewtwo vs BlackWarGreymon (Pokemon, Digimon)
  5. SCP-682 vs Doomsday (SCP, DC)
  6. Orochimaru vs Medusa Gorgon (Naruto, Soul Eater)
  7. Lord Zedd vs Skeletor (Power Rangers, He-Man)
  8. Mordecai & Rigby vs Finn & Jake (Regular Show, Adventure Time)
  9. Eren vs Ken (Attack on Titan, Tokyo Ghoul)
  10. Steve vs Terrarian (Minecraft, Terraria)
  11. Chosen Undead vs Dragonborn (Dark Souls, Elder Scrolls)
  12. Vader vs Saber (Star Wars, Fate)
  13. Gru vs Megamind (Despicable Me, Megamind)
  14. Bradley vs Solidus (Fullmetal Alchemist, Metal Gear)
  15. Splinter vs Shifu (TMNT, Kung Fu Panda)
  16. Dexter vs Jimmy (Dexters Lab, Jimmy Neutron)
  17. Master Chief vs Doomslayer (Halo, Doom)
  18. Liu Kang vs Jago (Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct)
  19. Zero vs Meta Knight (Mega Man, Kirby)
  20. Nero vs Hellboy (DMC, Dark Horse)
  21. Akuma vs Roah (Street Fighter vs Fist of the North Star)
  22. Asta vs Meliodas (Black Clover, Seven Deadly Sins)
  23. Luffy vs Natsu (One Piece, Fairy Tail)
  24. Bakugo vs Shinra (MHA, Fire Force)
  25. Cell vs Dark Samus (DBZ, Metroid)
  26. Cole McGrath vs Alex Mercer (Infamous, Prototype)
  27. Springtrap vs Junko (FNaF, Danganronpa)
This list in nowhere near definitive, and has a lot of different variables, and I certainly don't expect this to actually happen. But I think it illustrates the point quite well that you could easily make a season that'd satisfy both casual and hardcore audiences without having to constantly go to capeshit. This was mostly just meant to be a fun mental exercise to see if it could be done.
Pretty darn good. Though I’d throw Azula vs Cinder in there, or Sam (Totally Spies) vs Kim Possible

Pretty much the most eloquent depiction of that MU.

Yeah I never got the chance to read DBM but I always heard it was very controversial and polarising with in the DB fandom, so when I heard parts of DBM would be incorporated into DBS movie Broly, I was curious to see why it triggered so much discourse within the DB fandom and suffice to say I completed understand why many disliked it however I believe some overreacted to how "bad" it truly was.
DBM isn't the worst thing to come from the franchise, but it's a massive downgrade from Toeis Bardock special from the 90s and made some very questionable choices with how it portrayed Gokus origin and Bardocks character.

So, OMM is coming back. Neat.

IMG_5561.jpg

Yeah, next MU is lame, because its stomp. But unlike cool fight stomps, its basically a brick vs brick, even fights like Shadow vs Ryuko allowed creative set pieces. Here we have Omniman literally slap a character people dont like.

"But the fight animation can be good"

Yeah yeah, every fight can be 10/10, but lets be real. Its going to be 7/10 at this rate. Technically great, but they wont even go beyond on it unless DA goes ham like he used to.

Counting teased characters, how are we feeling on MU choices? I'm kinda starting to feel indifference like in S7 again.

Hoping Piccolo is the next DB character to make it on the show considering his powerset actually stands out from they typical DB brick. Or maybe the fake leaks are actually correct and Jiren gets on the show to fight Atrocitus or Asura.

Honestly just to avoid megastomp, they could just do Piccolo vs Super Skrull.

I didnt like it because it felt like "lol stretchy arms" but screw it, they are alien warriors, close enough I guess. Basically same as vs MM.

and then they scale SS to Thor lol
MMH also has slightly better theming than that (alien refugees of a peace loving race that became one of the most powerful defenders of Earth on their respective teams. Their races faced mass slaughter and were driven to near extinction by a villainous faction. Both are the strongest of their races and have some similar powers).

Also I’m like 80% sure getting matched with Super Skrull would still end badly for Piccolo as well, seeing as S.Skrull has the combined powers of the Fantastic Four. It’s possible for him to get scaled to Thor through the Invisible Woman, who has potential Celestial scaling, and even without that her powers are consistently Herald lvl.

If Piccolo gets oof’d either way they might as well go with MMH for being more popular and having better connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back