• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cardfight speed downgrade

As far as the lightning goes that tagged Blaster Blade and 2 others, nothing. The lightning is used by Void, a non-existent nigh omnipresent being who was attacking Cray at that point in the series. Given what Void is and the fact that this electricity didnt come from storm clouds, they are not naturally formed at all.

So nothing says the attacks Void uses wouldn't be able to as fast as the Units would be.
We actually see storm clouds around the void in that scan. It's very likely natural lightning.

We actually see storm clouds around the void in that scan. It's very likely natural lightning.
That is not lightning clouds, its nothingness. Takuto explicitly confirms this by the end of S2.

They're depicted as lightning clouds or some strange looking darkness here because we did not yet know of Void or what it was until later in the series.

On top of that, the lightning that hit Blaster Blade, Blaster Dark and Dragonic Overlord literally restricts their movement and seals them away inside of Void's nothingness, clearly indicating that it's an attack from Void and not some naturally formed independent lightning.

And in the very next episode, Asaka's Units block them with ease.

Your only really helping cementing the point that Units are all relative to each other here in speed.
That isn't a reaction speed feat, this site doesn't allow attacks that you know are going to happen count as reaction feats.

Because they are actively not trying to fly off the planet. Doesn't mean their speeds aren't comparably that fast.

They are jumping. It's not running and sticking to the planet, it's running and jumping and falling back down with speeds that can cross the observable universe in 3 seconds.

Because that isn't how this site operates. We don't go with "visibly lower" speeds as thats going, again, with the borderline telegraph argument of character movements being telegraphed for us viewers to see, despite them moving faster or far far faster in-universe.

Travel speed is travel speed and the speed of ones running, jumping, leaping, flying, whatever similar action isn't magically lower when it's convenient for your incredulity.

So you're yet again ignoring the argument I'm actually making and replacing it with some arguments other people have made. Cool.

When speaking about series where several FTL and MFTL+ feats are performed despite not at all matching our reality, that is to be expected. This logic of yours doesn't even have to apply to just here. This goes for practically any series with a FTL character that doesnt jump off planets or zoom past star systems when moving in small areas.

And taking it seriously for even a second results in quite the amount of downgrades.

"At minimum we shouldn't use it for scaling considering the extent of the contradiction."

"If you do that you're gonna downgrade every FTL or MFTL+ series"

False equivalence since things like PIS only apply when the character is proven to be capable of what they're claimed to do and the story just ***** itself over. And I can assure you that PIS doesnt go for one-feat characters.

Yeah. I said to your face that you made a false equivalence, and then made a comparable false equivalence. Congratulations on figuring out that I made a false equivalence.

Speed feat for the bullets. Especially for a verse like Vanguard where Cray has stupidly advanced tech and weaponry that their weapons are not at all just ordinary ones like ours.

Amazing.

Also, now that I think about it, it seems a little bit weird to scale space flight travel speed to running travel speed done by a different character just because they're both technically "travel speed".

The attacks are fired after they're summoned. So no, it wouldn't.
Blatantly lying once again. Never in Vanguard does anyone summon defensive before a Vanguard attacks. You pulled this out of absolutely nowhere.

And it's wrong anyway. Tsukuyomi attacks, and THEN Asaka summons forth Units who then THROW attacks at Tsukuyomi's moonlight to defend.

Blatantly lying once again. Never in Vanguard does anyone summon defensive before a Vanguard attacks. You pulled this out of absolutely nowhere.

And it's wrong anyway. Tsukuyomi attacks, and THEN Asaka summons forth Units who then THROW attacks at Tsukuyomi's moonlight to defend.
No, Tsukiyomi is commanded to attack then Asuka counters with block summons. They then manifest, and then we see the laser or whatever they are being fired.

Unless we're going to assume Asuka did all this before light could reach her which is very much absurd.

11:20

They are jumping. It's not running and sticking to the planet, it's running and jumping and falling back down with speeds that can cross the observable universe in 3 seconds.
The semantics don't change a thing Agnaa. It doesn't mean their speeds aren't comparatively the same, and our site always allows the idea of characters traveling and moving as fast as what their feats grants them.

So you're yet again ignoring the argument I'm actually making and replacing it with some arguments other people have made. Cool.
And exactly what argument? Little semantics you made up that haven't ever been used and applied on this site?
When speaking about series where several FTL and MFTL+ feats are performed despite not at all matching our reality, that is to be expected. This logic of yours doesn't even have to apply to just here. This goes for practically any series with a FTL character that doesnt jump off planets or zoom past star systems when moving in small areas.

And taking it seriously for even a second results in quite the amount of downgrades.

"At minimum we shouldn't use it for scaling considering the extent of the contradiction."

"If you do that you're gonna downgrade every FTL or MFTL+ series"
If you aren't going to even try and get to an actual point here, don't waste my time with this.
Also, now that I think about it, it seems a little bit weird to scale space flight travel speed to running travel speed done by a different character just because they're both technically "travel speed".
Change the standards then if you feel this way. Until that happens, not my problem (and I doubt that would happen anyway).

No, Tsukiyomi is commanded to attack then Asuka counters with block summons. They then manifest, and then we see the laser or whatever they are being fired.

Unless we're going to assume Asuka did all this before light could reach her which is very much absurd.

11:20

Rewatch the clip. The attacks are already coming down BEFORE Asaka's Units defend against them with their own attacks.

11:31 Tsukuyomi's moonlight goes after them

11:34 Asaka's defending Units deflect the moonlight

So yes, Asaka's Units did this before the light reached her.

Rewatch the clip. The attacks are already coming down BEFORE Asaka's Units defend against them with their own attacks.

11:31 Tsukuyomi's moonlight goes after them

11:34 Asaka's defending Units deflect the moonlight

So yes, Asaka's Units did this before the light reached her.
That isn't moonlight though, those definitely don't meet the standard for lasers on this site.

Kukui's and Agnaa's standards discussion aside, this thread seems to be picking every little excuse to try and downgrade the speed of this verse and honestly, it's quite annoying to see these petty incredulous arguments persist.

The semantics don't change a thing Agnaa. It doesn't mean their speeds aren't comparatively the same, and our site always allows the idea of characters traveling and moving as fast as what their feats grants them.

I've asked a few people off-site, Armorchompy and Mori responded and both seemed to lean towards my position rather than yours on this whole "running/jumping anti-feat" deal. But tbf they haven't read the whole thread or put their two cents in directly.

But at this point it's just both of us telling each other that the site doesn't work that way, so not much can be done here without more input.

Change the standards then if you feel this way. Until that happens, not my problem (and I doubt that would happen anyway).

We have standards that say you can automatically scale flight speed to travel speed?

I've asked a few people off-site, Armorchompy and Mori responded and both seemed to lean towards my position rather than yours on this whole "running/jumping anti-feat" deal.
Oh wow, a few people vs an entire site with hundreds of users. Totally compelling.

Kukui's and Agnaa's standards discussion aside, this thread seems to be picking every little excuse to try and downgrade the speed of this verse and honestly, it's quite annoying to see these petty incredulous arguments persist.
This would've been laughed at, picked apart and met with heavy criticism had this been another other series on the chopping block.

Can't wait to downgrade a whole chunk of verses where their movements in battle are supposedly not the same level of speed they've demonstrated to move at or scale to.

2 users who can also very much just be wrong as much as you think my claims are baseless.
Could happen, we'll have to wait and see.

But we don't have to wait and see to you respond to this part of my post you glossed over, about you scaling flight speed to running speed and calling that a standard of the site.

Well, if each of you writes a summary explanation post of your own arguments, I can ask some staff members to come and evaluate this.
I've managed to chill a little and write a summary explanation post.

This chain of conversation, divorced from the rest, started here.

With me arguing that this speed feat doesn't seem to align with our new standards for scaling travel feats to reactions.
The feat in question being, a character traveled to another universe (calculated by assuming this involves they traveled to the edge of the observable universe in 3 seconds), seeing some stars zoom past them as small dots in the process.

Eventually Kukui started wanting to change our standards for scaling travel feats to reactions, and so took another angle for why the feat would still scale;

Arguing that, even if it's only flight speed, other characters upscale from it, and those characters have their travel speed scale to their reactions, as they can perceive each other traveling.

I asked for elaboration on what "perceiving each other traveling" means, and he says it's because those characters run and jump after each other.

I said I'd more take that as an anti-feat for their travel speed, or at worst a scene that'd be inapplicable for scaling, since if they were running fast enough to cross the observable universe in 3 seconds, while jumping around each other, having gravity hold them to the planet with no issue, it seems like they're actually running at ludicrously slower speeds.

Kukui said that the site doesn't operate like that, and that if those standards were applied most FTL and above verses would be downgraded.

There's some ancillary stuff and places the conversation got sidetracked, but those are the currently relevant points.

from what i've seen here i do indeed agree with agnaa

but also don't quote me saying my opinion off-site ever again

from what i've seen here i do indeed agree with agnaa

but also don't quote me saying my opinion off-site ever again
I thought it'd be okay if I qualified it with "seemed to", "lean toward", and "but they haven't read the thread".

And it is incredibly, unimaginably frustrating if people are willing to say one opinion on one website but not have that relayed on another. Like, are you just lying on one of them? Not caring isn't really an excuse if it's someone else relaying it.

Yeah, travelling to another universe is travel speed. It won't scale to any other speed by default.

I'd like to see the evidence of where these characters are reacting to each other while travelling between universes, if that is what is being claimed for scaling.

But yes, travel speed not scaling to any other speed in cases like these is site standards. If other verses scale their reaction/combat speed from their travel speed for no reason, they also need revisions.

I'd like to see the evidence of where these characters are reacting to each other while travelling between universes, if that is what is being claimed for scaling.
No, there isn’t anywhere in our standards where we can only scale characters travel speeds while they are traveling across a large distance. Travel speed is travel speed, reacting to their flight, running, leaping, etc etc mid movement would also be reacting to how fast they are traveling.

And if a character reacts to the travel movement of another character, there is absolutely no reason to say their reactions do not scale to the travel speed at that point without becoming extremely nit picky and finding any excuse in the book to not scale them outside of specifically formed circumstances.

Last edited:
Reacting to travel speed is a very stingy subject. I can easily follow an airplane fly over my head, but I'm not Transonic. A driver can easily keep their eyes on someone else driving next to them, but they're not Subsonic. And if I have a fistfight with someone on top of a moving train, I'm still not Subsonic. You should show the actual feats if you haven't already, it's a case by case thing.

Reacting to travel speed is a very stingy subject. I can easily follow an airplane fly over my head, but I'm not Transonic. A driver can easily keep their eyes on someone else driving next to them, but they're not Subsonic. You should show the actual feats if you haven't.
That is obviously not the same thing as what im talking about here armor. Im talking about an opponent traveling straight at you with running, leaping, flight, etc. and reacting to them while they're moving at you to attack.

An example of this can be shown here, in the first 15 seconds of this episode. A Unit charges at another Unit to attack them, and the latter reacts by summoning another Unit to defend. Then the attacking Unit quickly leaps at the opponent and the opponent Unit still reacts by blocking their tackle with their shield-

That is obviously not the same thing as what im talking about here armor. Im talking about an opponent traveling straight at you with running, leaping, flight, etc. and reacting to them while they're moving at you to attack.

An example of this can be shown here, in the first 15 seconds of this episode. A Unit charges at another Unit to attack them, and the latter reacts by summoning another Unit to defend. Then the attacking Unit quickly leaps at the opponent and the opponent Unit still reacts by blocking their tackle with their shield-

That isn't really proof that he was running at mftl speeds. Especially considering the summoned monster was summoned mid run by a regular human.

Back