• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cardfight speed downgrade

Irrelevant, he still has to actively use the cards. We both know the battles and card games are happening simultaneously.
And that matters literally how? The actual souls in the battle on Cray, Kai's soul and his opponent's soul, are using the Units they're possessing to battle with. So no, they are absolutely not ordinary people during battle by any sense of the word.

They are the Units themselves.

And that matters literally how? The actual souls in the battle on Cray, Kai's soul and his opponent's soul, are using the Units they're possessing to battle with. So no, they are absolutely not ordinary people during battle by any sense of the word.

They are the Units themselves.
The cardfights and battles are happening in real time simultaneously. There's no proof this is mftl travel speed.

The cardfights and battles are happening in real time simultaneously. There's no proof this is mftl travel speed.
They are not happening at literally the exact same moments when one is fighting using just cards and the other is actual legitimate combat between the Units, already making the latter happening at their own speeds.

They are not happening at literally the exact same moments when one is fighting using just cards and the other is actual legitimate combat between the Units, already making the latter happening at their own speeds.
And every movement reflects commands made by the cardfighters. It's evident that they aren't traveling at mftl when fighting.

And every movement reflects commands made by the cardfighters. It's evident that they aren't traveling at mftl when fighting.
Huh? So like, if you commanded me to throw a punch, and I could move at MFTL+ speeds, I suddenly can't because you commanded me?

That isn't evidence for low speeds at all. The humans commanding the Units, again, are literally possessing the Unit they are riding in battle and using THAT Units battling capabilities to fight with at all. This is basic in-verse rules explained in the very basics of Vanguard.

That isn't evidence for low speeds at all. The humans commanding the Units, again, are literally possessing the Unit they are riding in battle and using THAT Units battling capabilities to fight with at all. This is basic in-verse rules explained in the very basics of Vanguard.
****, my hypothetical is useless now lol.

Huh? So like, if you commanded me to throw a punch, and I could move at MFTL+ speeds, I suddenly can't because you commanded me?
That's not what I'm talking about. The command is irrelevant. The fact that human can command blocks mid attack is clear signs of them not being mftl.

The fact that human can command blocks mid attack is clear signs of them not being mftl.
And that's not the context here for this particular series when this is a verse where literally everyone and their mother can infuse their souls with supernaturally powered and very blatantly superhuman beings to use them for battling on their home world.

If said humans can become empowered by the battling prowess of the Unit they are possessing, you damn well better believe they're operating exactly how the Unit would.

Not yet. This MFTL+ feat happens at the literal end of S1, and in the beginning of the series, there's no quantifiable speed feats for the Units beyond moving very casually as lightning or simple "quick speeds" that aren't a certain speed tier.
Yesterday you said their speed feats were casual. Now all of a sudden everyone's battling at full speed? Switching this up to fit the narrative huh?

And that's not the context here for this particular series when this is a verse where literally everyone and their mother can infuse their souls with supernaturally powered and very blatantly superhuman beings to use them for battling on their home world.

If said humans can become empowered by the battling prowess of the Unit they are possessing, you damn well better believe they're operating exactly how the Unit would.
The same units who can get tagged by bullets, lightning, and moonlight.

Yesterday you said their speed feats were casual. Now all of a sudden everyone's battling at full speed? Switching this up to fit the narrative huh?
No, I said the lightning based feats that you were so adamant at claiming was their best speeds were what are casual. And they are.

What does that have to do with the Unit's traveling speeds being capable of MFTL+ speed?
The same units who can get tagged by bullets, lightning, and moonlight.
Which are attacks from other Units.

No, I said the lightning based feats that you were so adamant at claiming was their best speeds were what are casual. And they are.

What does that have to do with the Unit's traveling speeds being capable of MFTL+ speed?
By your own standard they're battling at casual speeds.

If they're casual they're not traveling at mftl speeds.
Which are attacks from other Units.
Any proof those bullets are mftl? Lightning being mftl? Moonlight being mftl?

By your own standard they're battling at casual speeds.

If they're casual they're not traveling at mftl speeds.
Dont twist what I said. I said the lightning speeds specifically that you noted out in an attempt to discredit the ratings are what are casual.

But here you are making it sound like I said the Units are always battling at casual speeds at every single moment, which isn't something I said at all.
Any proof those bullets are mftl? Lightning being mftl? Moonlight being mftl?
Yes, by attacking the damn Units. We said this to you dozens of times here already.

But the same argument you used to say those feats were casual were prevalent in the one you just provided.

Yes, attacking the units who don't scale to mftl travel speed in reaction. You're saying the attacks are faster when in reality the units just don't scale to their travel speed in space.

But the same argument you used to say those feats were casual were prevalent in the one you just provided.
Where?
Yes, attacking the units who don't scale to mftl travel speed in reaction.
They would scale in reaction by reacting to the movements of the Units they fight against. Their travel speed.
You're saying the attacks are faster when in reality the units just don't scale to their travel speed in space.
And that is a ridiculous notion when that isn't how travel speed works.

Flight speed =/= Running speed.
Which our standards don't separate. So unless you get that changed, travel speed applies to the whole movement of travel a character does. Especially if it's movement like leaping, which is still roughly comparable to flying that it should still scale over.

And this point hardly matters that much when Units can still react to the flight of other Units anyway. That first feat of reacting to a Units running speed is just one of many instances where Units react to each other.

So unless you get that changed, travel speed applies to the whole movement of travel a character does. Especially if it's movement like leaping, which is still roughly comparable to flying that it should still scale over.
That's not what the standards are. If the travel feat is in outer space, it won't scale to any other kind of speed unless there is sufficient proof. Leaping in small areas, etc. fall under combat speed.

It seems like you have a different understand of speed standards that don't exist in the wiki. You should probably read this thread: https://vsbattles.com/threads/a-modification-to-the-speed-page-standards-staff-only.121842/

That's not what the standards are. If the travel feat is in outer space, it won't scale to any other kind of speed unless there is sufficient proof. Leaping in small areas, etc. fall under combat speed.
Nowhere on this site is that specified AKM, and things like running and leaping is absolutely not combat speed. The travel speed area of the page even specifies this.

Travel Speed​

The speed at which a character or object can move by running, or through similar means that do not involve flight or teleportation.

that do not involve flight or teleportation.
You missed this part. Not all means of travel are same.

I believe you are trying to scale the speed at which someone crosses a universe to their normal leaps and jumps, right? Crossing a universe through flight can be called both, flight speed and travel speed since it is flight and a form of travel. It's a case where there are hardly any obstacles. Scaling that to normal leaps, jumps, sprints, reactions, etc. is against the standards.

Regarding Travel/Flight Feats and Reactions
If a character travels or flies very fast through a very empty terrain, in which it doesn't necessarily have to react to sudden obstacles, the speed in question is travel or flight speed, but not necessarily reaction speed. In order for it to also be reaction speed, and the speed in total hence applying to the character's combat speed, the character either must have demonstrated the ability to react to sudden obstacles while traveling at this speed, have a calculation made that supports the character having corresponding reaction speed/time or otherwise demonstrate having comparable reactions.

Simply being able to stop accurately at the target destination does typically not qualify, as it can be spotted from a large distance to make preparations to stop or the character could even slow down before reaching the destination, assuming we only know the average speed with which they moved.

The typical example of such cases of travel/flight speed that doesn't necessarily scale to reactions is space travel. As space is incredibly empty there are virtually no objects one has to navigate around between destinations. Just flying in a straight line from A to B would be safe. At the same time the typical destinations, such as stars and planets, are so large that they can easily be seen from millions of kilometers away. As a result a character would only need reactions equal to a miniscule fraction of their travel speed to perform a safe and precise landing on them.

Again, read the thread.

I believe you are trying to scale the speed at which someone crosses a universe to their normal leaps and jumps, right? Crossing a universe through flight can be called both, flight speed and travel speed since it is flight and a form of travel. It's a case where there are hardly any obstacles. Scaling that to normal leaps, jumps, sprints, reactions, etc. is against the standards.

Again, read the thread.
The thread specifically deals with the subject of scaling reactions to flight. Not movements like running, leaping and jumps to travel speed. So the thread is irrelevant to what im talking about here.

Moving in combat =/= travel speed, AKM is right. Just cause you leap or run doesn't mean you're going at the same speeds you're using to cross a universe

You're going into semantics. No. The thread is about scaling reactions and combat speed to travel speed.

Sprints, leaps, jumps etc. also fall under combat speed since those are things you do in combat. Plus, you are ignoring the very essence of the thread. It is mainly about how traveling long distances through an almost empty space does not scale to any of your normal speeds, like what you are implying in this thread.

So yeah, the example presented here, of flying through the universe, scaling to normal jumps, leaps, etc. is a huge no.

Moving in combat =/= travel speed, AKM is right. Just cause you leap or run doesn't mean you're going at the same speeds you're using to cross a universe
Leaping is roughly a similar movement to flying. There's no reason to argue the leaping isn't the same speed.

Not that it really matters since the flight speed of flying type Units here are still able to be reacted by, so whether running, leaping, or flying, the point still stands. They reacted.

You're going into semantics. No. The thread is about scaling reactions and combat speed to travel speed.
Yes, making it irrelevant when this discussion now is about speed being scaled to movements done.
Sprints, leaps, jumps etc. also fall under combat speed since those are things you do in combat.
Then change the speed page because travel speed outright classifying a character, for instance running, as travel speed or similar movements to running as travel speed directly goes against what your saying here right now.
Plus, you are ignoring the very essence of the thread. It is mainly about how traveling long distances through an almost empty space does not scale to any of your normal speeds, like what you are implying in this thread.
No, your thread was specifically tackling the point on flight speeds not scaling to that of reactions or combat speeds. Not that flight speed doesnt scale to leaping, jumping or other similar movements.
So yeah, the example presented here, of flying through the universe, scaling to normal jumps, leaps, etc. is a huge no.
Leaping is a similar movement to flying. So no, I disagree with it not scaling.

And even if it doesnt scale, it's still irrelevant when flying movements are also getting reacted by as well.

No, your thread was specifically tackling the point on flight speeds not scaling to that of reactions or combat speeds. Not that flight speed doesnt scale to leaping, jumping or other similar movements.
Means the same thing. Hell, the flight speed used to travel between universes doesn't scale to flight speed used to travel in a city, because a city has obstacles while outer space doesn't.
Leaping is a similar movement to flying. So no, I disagree with it not scaling.
Not really. Again, flying through outer space where there are no obstacles does not scale to leaping in a close area where you have to actively change your direction to avoid attacks (obstacles).
And even if it doesnt scale, it's still irrelevant when flying movements are also getting reacted by as well.
I asked for evidence of this earlier. Is there any instance of somebody closely reacting to somebody else who is flying through space at MFTL+ speeds?

Means the same thing. Hell, the flight speed used to travel between universes doesn't scale to flight speed used to travel in a city, because a city has obstacles while outer space doesn't.
Epitome of nitpicking here AKM. You can't limit flight or travel speeds to only the distance moved and then argue they wouldnt move at those when making quick dashes or zooms in any other instance of them going across a given distance.

That is being incredibly limiting on the movement of characters with a massive amount of incredulity for no legitimate reason.
Not really. Again, flying through outer space where there are no obstacles does not scale to leaping in a close area where you have to actively change your direction to avoid attacks (obstacles).
You seem to be missing what im saying. The maneuvering a character does to avoid obstacles is not what im saying should scale to the flight speed. The speed of the leaping itself should be whats scaled, because leaping is a similar movement to flying.
I asked for evidence of this earlier. Is there any instance of somebody closely reacting to somebody else who is flying through space at MFTL+ speeds?
See above. This very oddly specifically limited array of needing them to react when only traveling through this superly specific instance is ridiculous.

Epitome of nitpicking here AKM.
I mean, you are free to change the standards. It is what it is. Plus, it isn't even nitpicking. It's common sense. As a normal human too, if I provide you a clean track to run that has no obstacles, you'd run much faster than if I put several obstacles in the track that you have to actively avoid.
It's like driving a car. You can drive it at a speed of 100 mph on a road that's empty, but if you have to avoid other vehicles by taking sharp twists and turns, you'd struggle to drive it at 20 mph.

The speed of the leaping itself should be whats scaled, because leaping is a similar movement to flying.
It isn't? Even the travel speed text you quoted differentiates leaping from flying. Leaping comes from your leg strength, while flying is, well, the ability of flight.

See above. This very oddly specifically limited array of needing them to react when traveling through this superly specific instance is ridiculous.
When we don't assume that the character who travels in outer space uses that same speed normally and that it doesn't scale to their normal reactions or combat speed, then obviously you'd need such an instance in order to prove that the scaling exists. That's the whole point. Since they don't scale by default, you'd need to comply with the burden of proof.

I mean, you are free to change the standards.
I don't have to when nowhere in the standards is this a thing. Flight movement is flight movement, running movement is running movement. If a character runs or flies at MFTL+ in one instance, you can't limit their other instances of flying and running as magically not MFTL+ just because they're going different distances.
It is what it is. Plus, it isn't even nitpicking. It's common sense. As a normal human too, if I provide you a clean track to run that has no obstacles, you'd run much faster than if I put several obstacles in the track that you have to actively avoid.
It's like driving a car. You can drive it at a speed of 100 mph on a road that's empty, but if you have to avoid other vehicles by taking sharp twists and turns, you'd struggle to drive it at 20 mph.
See above. Again, changing your movement through obstacles is not what im talking about here.
It isn't? Even the travel speed text you quoted differentiates leaping from flying. Leaping comes from your leg strength, while flying is, well, the ability of flight.
And when you are leaping, you are zooming your way through the air exactly like how flying does it. The only difference being that flight is indefinite while leaping needs leg strength to continue doing.

The momentum and movement through the air from one point to another point is still the same as each other.
When we don't assume that the character who travels in outer space uses that same speed normally
And this is what im not agreeing with. There's 0 reason to assume they wouldn't fly at the same speed normally, especially if they're flying after someone in battle they want to attack.

This is similar to scrutinizing scaling in general by arguing characters don't always move at x speeds, so we can't scale characters to other characters speeds.

If a character runs or flies at MFTL+ in one instance, you can't limit their other instances of flying and running as magically not MFTL+ just because they're going different distances.
We can and we do. Flying in outer space =/= flying in combat. I've already explained the reasons why.

And when you are leaping, you are zooming your way through the air exactly like how flying does it.
Different mechanisms. They don't scale to each other. Also explained this.

And this is what im not agreeing with. There's 0 reason to assume they wouldn't fly at the same speed normally, especially if they're flying after someone in battle they want to attack.
Flying after someone in battle is combat speed if done in a restricted area. The speed at which one fights. Combat speed doesn't scale to the flight speed employed in outer space where there are no obstacles. You don't have to agree, but this is the rule.

This is similar to scrutinizing scaling in general by arguing characters don't always move at x speeds, so we can't scale characters to other characters speeds.
The note in the speed page is about a specific instance of travel when there are no obstacles, hence even if the character's reactions are slower, they can still fly faster in comparison because they don't have to worry about colliding with random obstacles. But when there are obstacles, their flight speed would naturally decrease to match their reactions, otherwise, if their flight speed does not match their reactions in those cases, they will just collide with the obstacles. So yeah, in cases where a character is flying through space, we don't assume they make use of the same speed in combat.

I feel the points are getting repetitive and I'm also repeating myself, so I'm only going to respond from now if I see something new worth responding to.

There is plenty of reason to assume characters who are only seen reaching MFTL+ speeds when crossing intergalactic distances cannot achieve those speeds when crossing three meters, actually. Acceleration is a thing

We can and we do. Flying in outer space =/= flying in combat. I've already explained the reasons why.

You did not. Flying in combat, no matter the distance moved from point A to B, is still flight movement. You can't claim in this specific instance its not MFTL travel just because the disntance isn't intergalactic or universal.

Different mechanisms. They don't scale to each other. Also explained this.
They aren't different at all. It's zooming from one point to the other in the same fashion through the air.
Flying after someone in battle is combat speed. The speed at which one fights.
It is not combat speed because this isn't the speed of them attacking or punching or hitting the opponent. This is the speedo them traveling after the opponent.

If I charge at someone in front of me to move in to attack, it's not combat speed until the attacking actually starts. This is travel speed for traveling after them.
Combat speed doesn't scale to the flight speed employed in outer space where there are no obstacles.
But travel speed does. And reacting to someone traveling after you, regardless of the distance, scales your reactions. And you have 0 reason to say otherwise on that.
The note in the speed page is about a specific instance of travel when there are no obstacles, hence even if the character's reactions are slower, they can still fly faster in comparison because they don't have to worry about colliding with random obstacles. But when there are obstacles, their flight speed would naturally decrease to match their reactions, otherwise, if their flight speed does not match their reactions in those cases, they will just collide with the obstacles. So yeah, in cases where a character is flying through space, we don't assume they make use of the same speed in combat.
See above. Not worth replying to this because this is again not about combat speed scaling. This is about the movement of traveling.

And the traveling from one point to another is still the same speed regardless of the distance traveled.

There is plenty of reason to assume characters who are only seen reaching MFTL+ speeds when crossing intergalactic distances cannot achieve those speeds when crossing three meters, actually. Acceleration is a thing
That has to do with this how?

And if there this many barriers to go through according to you, flight speed shouldn't be a thing to scales to anything at all then for everyone. No matter what.

That has to do with this how?
... i am saying that to reach those movement speeds they need to accelerate and can't just reach them on a whim
And if there this many barriers to go through according to you, flight speed shouldn't be a thing to scales to anything at all then for everyone. No matter what.
It shouldn't be impossible. Just very difficult to achieve. That is indeed what I'm saying.

... i am saying that to reach those movement speeds they need to accelerate and can't just reach them on a whim
For speed thats great enough to travel across the entire universe and then some in an absurdly small amount of time, acceleration wouldnt matter as the speed would still be FTL/MFTL. Let's use your argument for a second and it will still fail. Here's why:

Elite sprinters are able to accelerate for 6–7 seconds to reach top speed.

Assuming a character can move at, let's say 10,000 times the speed of light (an absurdly smaller given amount of travel speed than what this thread is tackling)

Your initial speed is only 6-7% of your top speed

Even assuming he's not moving at his fastest, his initial speed would be MFTL (in this case 600 times FTL). Same thing here for this travel speed.

Not to mention, given the absurdly small timeframe this travel feat for scaling was done in, acceleration most likely isn't even needed for them (unless you want to try arguing any amount of intervals within a 1 or 2 second timeframe can be done).

It shouldn't be impossible. Just very difficult to achieve. That is indeed what I'm saying.
Okay and im saying that it shouldn't be this difficult to achieve, as at this point, this is just adding another wall after another to find any excuse to just not scale it. And its annoying as hell.

We should not be at the point where we claim speed changes on a random circumstance, for absolutely no reason, just to prevent scaling.

Think of it this way.

Flying through space doesn't require that your reactions should scale to your flight speed. If you read the thread, you'd notice that you can easily fly through space at MFTL+ speeds even if your reaction speed is only MHS+.

Now, your case is like this:
You're saying that just because a character is flying 10 meters length or making twists and turns to catch someone over a very short distance, they should move at MFTL+ speeds too since they can move at MFTL+ speeds in space. But for doing that over such a short range while maneuvering, you'd need your reactions to somewhat scale to your flight speed, otherwise you'd collide. Which means that your reaction speed would be MFTL+ too.

Are you understanding yet? In the first case, you only require MHS+ reaction speed, while in the second case you'd need your reactions to scale to your flight speed. If you don't have any evidence that your reactions scale to MFTL+ speeds, then you can't claim that you're flying at that speed in close quarters. If you have only shown reaction speed of MHS+, then you can only fly around those speeds in close quarters while maneuvering. Your flight speed in close quarters depends on your reaction speed, not the other way around, like you are saying.

Lighning speed seems to be the most consistent speed for combat in the series. Having mftl flight speed keyed separately fits the context of the verse tbh.

For speed thats great enough to travel across the entire universe and then some in an absurdly small amount of time, acceleration wouldnt matter as the speed would still be FTL/MFTL. Let's use your argument for a second and it will still fail. Here's why:

Elite sprinters are able to accelerate for 6–7 seconds to reach top speed.

Assuming a character can move at, let's say 10,000 times the speed of light (an absurdly smaller given amount of travel speed than what this thread is tackling)

Your initial speed is only 6-7% of your top speed
Baseless comparison. The mechanics behind a sprint is completely different from spatial flight. Also, time isn't the issue here, distance is.
Okay and im saying that it shouldn't be this difficult to achieve, as at this point, this is just adding another wall after another to find any excuse to just not scale it. And its annoying as hell.

We should not be at the point where we claim speed changes on a random circumstance, for absolutely no reason, just to prevent scaling.
I'm not trying to cockblock any verse specifically, but I do indeed think that we should be incredibly conservative in scaling travel speed to reactions and the like though yes. It's not finding an "excuse" it's applying an amount of scrutiny that previously wasn't applied that's it.

Last edited:
Baseless comparison. The mechanics behind a sprint is completely different from spatial flight.
Not baseless, because the point here is that acceleration won't drop FTL, much less absurdly high MFTL+ like this, into non FTL/MFTL+ speeds when accelerating. Even if slower, the speed is still MFTL+

So factoring in acceleration doesn't change a thing.
Also, time isn't the issue here, distance is.
It kinda is. If the timeframe is absurdly short, and your claiming there's acceleration, then the time it takes to reach acceleration would then be extremely short too, to the point where it doesn't matter. A space flight feat that takes no more than a second to reach the end of the universe isn't going to have more than one second needed for acceleration.
Cool? I'm not trying to cockblock any verse specifically, but I do indeed think that we should be incredibly conservative in scaling travel speed to reactions and the like though yes. It's not finding an "excuse" it's applying an amount of scrutiny that previously wasn't applied that's it.
Okay and I don't agree with us being "incredibly conservative" when that is a personal take of how much one finds and doesnt find acceptable. Which shouldn't be applied as a universal umbrella standard for every little thing. This site suffers from enough incredulity as it is.

And given the absurd amount of it shown in this thread, which I can assure you has never ever been displayed for any other series here, one would think this is to cockblock verses specifically (even if that is not your intention).

Back