• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Boa Hancock VS Gunvolt

Assuming that I did, here I go:

First off, I feel like the abilities of Haki, or one's use of it, should be put on the character's page, just for convenience

Now, onto the fight. Boa's new things certainly make this a lot tougher. Precognition can allow her to (I'm going to assume "see" what exactly is going to happen throughout the ENTIRE course of the battle), and AP/Dura is a big boon as well

However, I had assumed that her Slave Arrow wasn't something Gunvolt can use the Flashfield to defend, and had to rely on using things like Crashbolt or other Skills to blast them out of the way. It would seem that I was wrong. If it wasn't for the new addition to Precognition, I would've said that it would completely affect the favor to GV's side, since really, Slave Arrow was essentially all Boa had going for her.

Now, while I disagree with the whole low durability stone thing going on, I'm just going to assume that this is the case. What are her means of Petrification? Melee, Slave Arrow, and Femurr Lust thingie. Each of these are... completely nothing to worry about for GV. Slave Arrow is easily block by Flashfield, and if it's a constant storm for... some reason (though, from what I know now, it has a wind up and doesn't last long), not only do I have the confidence that he can dodge them, but Infinite Surge or Split Second essentially make that a non-issue. Femurr, Gunvolt is 14, 8th Grade, while I think that's around the age where boys get pervy... Gunvolt never shows any sign of remotely being attracted to anyone, and at times is completely oblivious to Joule and Quinn to an extent, so that's not working. Last but not least is Melee. While I admit that her CQC is most likely better (since GV has never shown H2H, just said that he does it), being in Melee range is the last thing that she wants VS Gunvolt. Astrasphere, Flashfield, Crashbolt, and on a lesser note, Dragonsphere, Luxcaliber are all things that just, really hurt at close range.

While the point has been made that she can predict and activate Arm. Haki, I strongly believe that it won't allow her to just walk through an entire Astrasphere or anything of the sort. Gunvolt, like Boa, scales far above Ghauri in Attack Power, Ghauri's ram is actually (where the AP comes from), one of the weakest moves he has, and Gunvolt's Tagged Flashfield, his most basic attack, shreds even the boss's health quite easily, and MUCH faster when GV equips the Micheal Clip (basically, allows only one tag at a time, but results in absurd damage from Flashfield). So, even assuming that Boa does somehow have the AP/Dura Advantage, whatever intercepts her primary method of attack in this scenario is... yeah… it will at LEAST push her back. Her methods of winning are essentially, shut down. This is not mentioning Septimal Surge and Shield, which straight up just double Gunvolt's output.

Now, as for actually hitting and beating her, Gunvolt is going to have a tough time, no doubt, due to me assuming that Precognition is super duper broken and she can just know everything he does. However, just because she knows what's going to happen, does not guarantee that she is going to avoid attacks. You can know that something is coming, and when, and still screw up the timing, when, say, defending a really hard hit in table tennis. This is especially true when Voltaic Chains is around to either stab or grapple you from all angles, pinning you while you're being electrocuted plenty, and setting up for a Tag that isn't avoidable due to such circumstances.

I do not have the knowledge to say that she can't dodge all of GV's arsenal since I don't know her experience with Danmaku, but what I ca say is that all of that is much more difficult when on the offensive, and especially if your only hope of touching someone is getting up close (remember, Slave Arrow doesn't work, and really, just gives an opportunity for GV to shoot her). Not only does Gunvolt want to stay away from a CQC fight, and has Anti-CQC measures, but her going for a melee strike gives openings, lots of them for counterplay. Whenever you attack, you give an opening, and especially if someone's primary method of attack is shooting with a damn gun… uuuuh, yeah, not the best idea when said gunshot chains into basically a completely unavoidable attack that can't be blocked, or dodged. This is also especially true when Astrasphere, or, if she's jumping, an unavoidable Luxcaliber or Voltaic Chains since no dodging mid-air is threatening her at all times.

On that note, electricity may or may not be Dura Negation, but I'm not going to say it is for the sake of arguments.

And speaking of Jumping, Gunvolt also has many means of jumping and staying in the air while still attacking for a very long time, his Contact Lens (notably the one that save up more EP) and Rings which allow Air Hops and Air Dashes. This could force Boa to jump, and thus, make herself unable to dodge any blow GV chooses. And if GV runs out of EP? Split Second. Easy.

Now yes, she can predict it, but even if you know it's coming, while you're trying to attack them, you have a lot less, if any means of escaping the incoming attack, as your attack is meant to make them not attack in return. It's much easier to point a gun and shoot as a countermeasure compared to some hand to hand skill. Now yeah, you may be saying "just use Arm. Haki", but unluckily for her, there's an issue. Remember, she's not only having to dodge and weave through all of Gunvolt's ranged attacks just to get close, she'll be giving Gunvolt a to of time to realize what she is doing to switch to Naga, a type of Bolt (the tagging stuff) that pieces through defenses, even walls and shields that all other types of Bolts can't go through, which means… Boa just sold herself a free tag, and massive damage. And if all fails, Chargeguard Pendant can straight up allow GV to be immune to strike during his EP Charge.

Speaking of Precognition, Gunvolt has another type of unavoidable Bolt, the Vasuki, which allows a homing tag once GV strikes a taggable object. Considering that technically everything is taggable, GV could strike, say a pillar or the throne, and there it is, free tag and Flashfield.

All and all, without Slave Arrow being as effective as I through it would, Boa is left with no choice but to close the distance for a strike, which is… really just too much effort considering all of the Anti-CQC Gunvolt has. Gunvolt, Mid/High-Diff.

Last edited:
I could probably go on and on about this, but this is the shortened version, considering that Boa can just apparently one shot GV, she still has a chance, she just needs to somehow make everything work perfectly, and even with Precog, if you're the one closing in, it's hard, since you can't just simply walk through the guy's most powerful attacks, when his basic attack shreds the person he scales to, along with a bunch of other supplementary ways to increase his attack power, despite your AP advantage

On that wall of text you made? I'm gonna need a minute...

1 minute later:

OK, let me see if I can offer my thoughts. I'ma try to be as neutral as possible.

1. I'd like to bring to your attention that Hancock is actually in the process of getting an upgrade in AP. She'll scale to 3.82 megatons afterwards, then there will be Haki on top of that to amp her stats. Even without Haki, in terms of the feats they scale to, that gives Hancock the AP advantage.

2. Secondly, I have a question in regards of Gunvolt's bolts/tags/whatever the heck they're called, it's been ages since I played the game (After I beat Nova, my life felt complete lol): Is there an in-game mechanic that allows Gunvolt to switch the kind of bolt he's using mid-battle? If not, has he shown this in the OVA? If that is also not the case, what kind of bolt does it appear that GV consistently uses? It would be best to go with that kind of bolt specifically.

3. Couldn't Hancock counter the bolt fire with Slave Arrow? I'm not sure his bolts can counter danmaku.

4. Speaking of danmaku, I gave the thing some thought. Even though Hancock's slave arrow fires in one direction, there's no evidence to suggest that the attacks are fired in any sort of predictable that Gunvolt could dodge like Viper's, for instance.

5. If she hits the Voltaic Chains before there's an electrical current flowing through them (and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they physical?), couldn't she use Slave Arrow to make the chains nothing more than stone. It's in character for her to fire Slave Arrow at physical projectiles (e.g. the cannonballs she fired them at).

That's about all I've got.

Oh, one last thing, but this is just a nitpick: Boa functions more like Hancock's last name, actually. Her sisters are named Boa Marigold and Boa Sandersonia. But that's literally the most useless piece of information I've offered in this post lol

I meant more of in general lol, as in your own opinion on the verdict.

For 1, well, that isn't directly the point, when I was talking about the AP, I was essentially saying that she wouldn't be able to simply just walk through GVs stuff so easily just because Haki exists, she'd at least be knocked back or something of the sort that won't just allow her to simply ignore GV's attacks. Plus, things like Flashfield are some massive DPS attacks, so even she would be taking significant damage

GV's default is Cerberus, but yes, GV can switch between Bolt types on the fly with a simple press of a button (not doable on 3DS since there isn't enough buttons), I don't think there is a reason for GV to not have all of his Bolts

The things about Slave Arrow countering Bolts are plasuible, but apparently S. Arrow has a wind up period, which isn't great when V. Chains and Tag n' Flash and nigh instant attacks

Slave Arrow offensively really isn't anything to worry about with Flashfield around at all, all GV needs to do is move out of range if it isn't.

Bolts especially are going to be very hard to turn to stone with their small size while at point blank range.

Smashtwig said:
I meant more of in general lol, as in your own opinion on the verdict.
For 1, well, that isn't directly the point, when I was talking about the AP, I was essentially saying that she wouldn't be able to simply just walk through GVs stuff so easily just because Haki exists, she'd at least be knocked back or something of the sort that won't just allow her to simply ignore GV's attacks. Plus, things like Flashfield are some massive DPS attacks, so even she would be taking significant damage

GV's default is Cerberus, but yes, GV can switch between Bolt types on the fly with a simple press of a button (not doable on 3DS since there isn't enough buttons), I don't think there is a reason for GV to not have all of his Bolts

The things about Slave Arrow countering Bolts are plasuible, but apparently S. Arrow has a wind up period, which isn't great when V. Chains and Tag n' Flash and nigh instant attacks

Slave Arrow offensively really isn't anything to worry about with Flashfield around at all, all GV needs to do is move out of range if it isn't.

Bolts especially are going to be very hard to turn to stone with their small size while at point blank range.
Oh, my general view on the verdict? lol

I personally want Hancock to win, but I accept whatever the verdict is.

Oh, and I just thought about something. Hancock's standard equipment includes her snake, Salome. She can use him as a weapon, or possibly as cover so GV tags him instead of her, though I don't know if that would be in character for her to do.

Off topic, I feel like Hancock and GV would actually get along, since Hancock used to be a slave and Gunvolt freed Joule from what could be considered servitude. They'd share similar views on that topic, and the same thing that made Hancock like Luffy (he was unaffected by her Mero Mero Merrow) would likely happen with GV.

ngl, I ship it

~~wryyy i meant verdict as in who do you think will logically wiiinnnnnnn aasgajngajrfngcx~~

But if that's the case, GV would highly be likely to just switch to Naga instead, and, I don't think her first instinct would be pulling out said snake

Smashtwig said:
~~wryyy i meant verdict as in who do you think will logically wiiinnnnnnn aasgajngajrfngcx~~
And that's where I say what I think isn't important. I'm not sure I'm allowed to vote on threads I make, which is what that would be, in essence.

She could counter the bolts with pistol kiss. Not that she needs to since her observation haki allows her to dodge it.

She's going to scales above 3.82 Megatons for one shotting several pacifista with seemingly no effort as well as toying with sentomaru who is superior the pacifista (all who scale to 3.82 Megatons) + haki amps.

So that scaling chain really was true... That's why I was saying that the stone thing wasn't dura negate but eh whatever

One issue is that she can't dodge Vasuki, Pistol Kiss would have to do the job

Again, doing that all in point blank range is something I simply cannot see.

Are you just ignoring all the arguements for Gunvolt? The above Boa votes were before we realized Gunvolt can block Slave Arrow with flashfield.

Homing attacks seem really good here.

Honestly, the current argument for Gunvolt seems more convincing to me atm. Flashfield is very solid.

I'll side with Gunvolt.

There's no need to argue about one's votes, if they truly believe that Hancock can really just completely walk through Gunvolt's Anti CQC stuff, all power to them. Honestly, for the people who see Boa winning, I can tell why. It's just that to me it's extremely hard to do so even with Precog when your only method of attack is getting into the enemy's most effective range in terms of straight sheer might (kind of), hand to hand skill won't really help when the anti CQC is just too much AoE

I see.

I don't remember a rule for the OP not voting, but I think Mav should at least put (Grace) or some indication that needs one more vote in the title?

Well, it's 6-4, so... haha... we're... not going to get this done with aren't we? Anything about OP's own votes?

Back