• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
What I find odd is where they would have gotten Nth metal from in the first place since you'd think there would be some mention of the Hawks by this point (gotta have them easter eggs) seeing as its bird people and WB haven't announced a Hawkman/Hawkwoman movie (afaik, could have missed something tbh).

AnonymousBlank said:
What I find odd is where they would have gotten Nth metal from in the first place since you'd think there would be some mention of the Hawks by this point (gotta have them easter eggs) seeing as its bird people and WB haven't announced a Hawkman/Hawkwoman movie (afaik, could have missed something tbh).
A meteor perhaps?

Maybe but magic space metal crashes on earth via meteor and gets used to create the symbol of the king of an advanced super civilisation that has been hidden from the rest of the world for millennia? Yeah, I dunno about going down that route.

Costume design and soundtrack were great, the first one has to be a win, second one should go to Beale Street though, breathtaking shit.

To rerail this thread, mad about Aquaman not even getting a nom for VfX at the Oscars, it probably pushed big blockbuster CGI more than any other film since Avatar on a $160 million budget, real bullshit right there.

Yeah, a lot of it was pretty, and the relatively good background CGI gets glossed over as another thankless job done by VfX artists, but the last fight went full PS2-level graphics. Good portion of the VfX in MCU films in general feel mass-produced in an assembly line browness/grayness/bleh kind of way that franchises like Star Wars or DCEU or the Wizarding World/Harry Potter don't.

Yep, I also feel it's because Marvel kinda overused often (like why not have the Panther habit as a prop rather then CG?)

Ahh you gents are hitting at something important regarding mcu cgi. Remember how good the old Iron Man suits looked? That's because RDJ wore a version of the costume (including helmet) which was then amplified with CGI to look gorgeous. Now look at IW iron man; he looks almost as cartoony as cyborg from JL. Even Black Panther: his civil war suit was the bomb but his new suit >_>

Hell now everyone has a freaking star lord mask (double-tap the side ear, it appears). I hope they go back to more practical applications w/ cgi enhancements. The Captain Marvel costume looks promising.

A blend of props and CGI has always been the best way to go. It'll be years before CGI can truly stand on its own even with people trying to pick it apart.

I guess it depends on the lighting and color scheme too probably. The Kryptonians from MoS as an example, their armor was all cgi. Or at least Zod's was...can't quite remember.

Actually gonna open on Feb. 8th, I think. Might make 1.1b or 1.2b.

And man, MoS might be my favorite superhero flick, probably had the best display of superhuman combat in movies, only time I ever really felt a sense of weight (CGI is still pretty bad about this 6 years later) or superspeed through normal eyes. The little bits of somewhat scientific stuff like the Kryptonian vulnerability to loud noises if they weren't trained to block it out, or a Kryptonite-like atmosphere that reduces or blocks access to their powers, or only the stuff affected by the phantom zone powered gravity beams being sucked in by the worm hole, that stuff was nice.

Storywise, the part where his parents taught Superman to basically be the only superhero to ever really care about consequences for even well-intentioned actions without being a massively hypocritical twat like the Avengers (I love the MCU movies most of the time, great big dumb fun, but when even the morally righteous Cap is cranking out witty one-liners when kids are getting crushed to death, and then they try to have some bull premise about responsibility while thinking I have the attention span of a goldfish and don't remember the former Nazi terrorist girl Avenger mind controlled the Hulk into killing hundreds of innocent people, man, those are some pretty crappy parts that are hard to ignore), and how that shapes his character into one of the more emotionally vulnerable heroes in film, that's really nice too.

Yeah, the dad's tornado death thing was kind of dumb, but still pretty nice overall.

My only problem is that the Fodder seems somewhat inconsistent.

The soldiers with white armor vary between being powerful superhumans to be killed by common sharks.

Another inconsistency is that in one scene, the trench gave Aquaman and Mera some trouble, but then they were killed by common harpoons.

When they attacked the boat, but those harpoons were being used by Aquaman and Mera, not launched from a harpoon gun.

Also, found some concept art of the Karathen, the last one in particular is perfect for scaling its size and surface area for that earth's core to ocean bedrock feat, since Aquaman is right by its head.

It makes sense that they would be weak to sharp objects though, or at least not as resistant. Sea life adapts to survive the pressure of the deep, the Trench should exemplify this trait since they are even deeper than the other kingdoms.

Heatforce said:
Ahh you gents are hitting at something important regarding mcu cgi. Remember how good the old Iron Man suits looked? That's because RDJ wore a version of the costume (including helmet) which was then amplified with CGI to look gorgeous. Now look at IW iron man; he looks almost as cartoony as cyborg from JL. Even Black Panther: his civil war suit was the bomb but his new suit >_>

Hell now everyone has a freaking star lord mask (double-tap the side ear, it appears). I hope they go back to more practical applications w/ cgi enhancements. The Captain Marvel costume looks promising.
Having seen b-roll footage for a couple of the movies, Marvel has always blended CGI with practical sets and props with CGI instead of going full-on CGI and greenscreen like the Star Wars prequels. I would chalk up the poor CGI in movies featured in essays like this one to a poor post-production phase, the ultimate example probably being Avengers Age of Ultron.

Back