• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
She was also shot with a gun and injured in Wonder Woman (1987) #143, which came out in 1999
Yes, but from what I recall, the scan that we currently use is from post-Flashpoint, and I also recall that the explanation during the Byrne run did not list sharp objects as a magical weakness of the Kryptonite variety. It just used bad physics to explain that it is easier to cut anybody with less force than by injuring them through punching.

What? I recall getting the Wonder Woman scan where she is injured by bullets from a much more recent appearance than that, that occurred several years after Flashpoint.
Okay? Doesn't really change that the scan Mav posted is very much from Post-Crisis, and Diana being vulnerable to piercing weapons is consistently a thing in Post-Crisis (scan is from Wonder Woman Vol. 2 #152).

I didn’t say either of them was a superhuman. I said there’s no evidence to suggest they’re in any way comparable, as you’re suggesting. This isn’t the real world we’re talking about, it’s Marvel Comics. You can’t assume characters are comparable without actual proof.
The regular humans in Marvel Comics are not shown to be anywhere near as disparate as you seem to suggest here. In fact women are usually shown to be more powerful in relation to men than they are in the real world. Hence why the "not significantly" wording was used in our page.
”So focused on the sorcerer, you didn’t realize it was even happening. Not only stole away Eternity’s power, but I pretty much sucked out the rest of yours, too.”

It‘s blatantly stated that she drained the majority of Dormammu’s power while he was fighting Doctor Strange, which is why Hulk was able to come in and clap his head.
Okay. That seems reasonable then.

but it’s still an assumption with no evidence.
Eh, reasoning and precedent is as good of evidence as anything else. For instance, if they introduce a new Flash, a new Kryptonian, a new Green Lantern, we don't need to see them directly contrasted against other Flashes/Kryptonians/GLs to conclude that this new character is likely in the same general ballpark as the others.

Ant, she legitimately never showed any durability feats suggesting that. In Post-Crisis every time she's hit by an arrow, bullet or sword she gets hurt. They even tried to retroactively explain it with the secret files.
Well, the Byrne run tried to explain it, but not as a magical weakness. Wonder Woman had simply been powered up a lot over the years, but her original incarnation blocked bullets with her bracelets, so the writers did not entirely logically keep up in that regard.
If the examples don't count they shouldn't be used.
Okay, but the aim here should be to improve on our examples, not to dismantle a very necessary page that explains extremely valid, explicitly stated, and proven points.

Last edited:
Eh, I think two older adults being relatively comparable is not as far fetched an assumption as you're making it out to be. I'd expect Jonah to be stronger on account of being a man, but not that much more.
Yes, and given that Marvel tends to follow a feminist path of making women and men more evenly physically powerful than in the real world nowadays that makes our point even more valid.

Eh, reasoning and precedent is as good of evidence as anything else. For instance, if they introduce a new Flash, a new Kryptonian, a new Green Lantern, we don't need to seem them directly contrasted against other Flashes/Kryptonians/GLs to conclude that this new character is likely in the same general ballpark as the others.
Uh, yeah, we absolutely do? If a new Green Lantern gets introduced, we wouldn’t assume they’re comparable to, say, John Stewart or Guy Gardener without them actually having showings to suggest as much.

I don’t think it’s a far fetched assumption, but it’s still an assumption with no evidence.
When have regular men and women in Marvel Comics ever been displayed as inherently astronomically separated in terms of physical power? It is up to you to prove that they are rather than the reverse given that your hypothesis is much more farfetched, and it seems silly to continue to focus so much on this particular part of our discussion.

The regular humans in Marvel Comics are not shown to be anywhere near as disparate as you seem to suggest here. In fact women are usually shown to be more powerful in relation to men than they are in the real world. Hence why the "not significantly" wording was used in our page.
Quite frankly, it doesn’t matter. You’re still making a claim with no actual evidence to support it, and having that on the page weakens its credibility (among the other things that already do that, like no scans).

You could legit remove the Aunt May assumption and the example works just as well outside of the context around the Tiger God thing that makes it not work without including an arbitrary assumption for no real reason.

Uh, yeah, we absolutely do? If a new Green Lantern gets introduced, we wouldn’t assume they’re comparable to, say, John Stewart or Guy Gardener without them actually having showings to suggest as much.
Why not? I'm not saying they would be the same tier or indexed as such on the site, but yeah it's a pretty safe bet. Assuming normal humans are more or less of normal human strength is not a bizarre evidence-less assumption. We can extrapolate with information other than direct comparison.

Quite frankly, it doesn’t matter. You’re still making a claim with no actual evidence to support it, and having that on the page weakens its credibility (among the other things that already do that, like no scans).

You could legit remove the Aunt May assumption and the example works just as well outside of the context around the Tiger God thing that makes it not work without including an arbitrary assumption for no real reason.
It is perfectly reasonable to keep the mention of Aunt May (a fit somewhat elderly regular woman) not being extremely weaker than Jameson, who is a just slightly younger somewhat elderly regular man. They do not need to have a Mortal Kombat style slugfest for that interpretation to be valid, so I think that you are making a hen out of a feather here.

Why not? I'm not saying they would be the same tier or indexed as such on the site, but yeah it's a pretty safe bet.
If you acknowledge that we wouldn’t index them as such on the site, then why are you arguing in favor of leaving this example on the site?

Please explicitly prove that regular human men in the Marvel Comics world are usually at least hundreds of times stronger than regular women there, because that is roughly what the phrase "not significantly weaker" would cover in the context of our wiki.

If you acknowledge that we wouldn’t index them as such on the site, then why are you arguing in favor of leaving this example on the site?
Because the point being made is sound and that level of specificity isn't needed for a page that serves to demonstrate the general concept.

Please explicitly prove that regular human men in the Marvel Comics world are usually at least hundreds of times stronger than regular women there, because that is roughly what the phrase "not significantly weaker" would cover in the context of our wiki.
I never made the claim that there’s a hundred times difference between men and women, hell, I never made a comparison between men and women to begin with. I would greatly appreciate it if you didn’t strawman my point, thank you.

Literally all I’m asking is that we don’t make claims without having actual evidence from the source material to prove them.

Wonder Woman had simply been powered up a lot over the years, but her original incarnation blocked bullets, so the writers did not entirely logically keep up in that regard.
Her original writer also had her be threatened by bullets. With Hippolyta directly telling Diana the weapons of man can harm her.

Okay, but the aim here should be to improve on our examples, not to dismantle a very necessary page that explains extremely valid, explicitly stated, and proven points.
They aren't, they're saying the examples we do have don't work and it should be changed to those that do. No one is saying to get rid of the page.

Like I said, precedent and reasoning is evidence. I don't really know why you're being obstinate on this subject. If you aren't making the
claim that regular human men are 100x stronger than women in Marvel then the example still stands. All we really require for scaling is the ability to injure someone. Why would Aunt May be incapable of injuring JJJ?

I never made the claim that there’s a hundred times difference between men and women, hell, I never made a comparison between men and women to begin with. I would greatly appreciate it if you didn’t strawman my point, thank you.

Literally all I’m asking is that we don’t make claims without having actual evidence from the source material to prove them.
You are making a massive uproar over a very trivial and fully legitimate detail, and I am not strawmanning your argument, I am trying to explain why what you are saying doesn't make sense given that "not significantly weaker" means a rather wide range going by our wiki's standards.

Also, using Aunt May as an example hammers home the intended point better than Jameson, due to it being more humorous.

Last edited:
Her original writer also had her be threatened by bullets. With Hippolyta directly telling Diana the weapons of man can harm her.
Yes, but my point was that she was much less powerful back then.
They aren't, they're saying the examples we do have don't work and it should be changed to those that do. No one is saying to get rid of the page.
Well, we preferably need to collaborate to find replacements for those scaling chain positions in that case.

You scan does not work, but if this is genuinely accurate, I do not mind using another example.
Huh, my apologies, I don't know how that happened. I fixed the link in the original message, but to make it easier to follow I'll repost it here as well.
I think that it is a legitimate feat that follows Marvel Comics' explicitly stated (over and over and over and over), and yet somehow still denied by much of its fandom, narrative conventions of not caring at all about consistent power-scaling.
I would disagree based off what I noted of the "fight" being completely off-screen and the cosmology lacking any balance at the time.
I'd figure you're probably not interested in having an extended argument about this, so I'll leave it up to others to form a consensus and determine if it should stay.
I would greatly appreciate help with finding the exact issue references, as I have very limited time available.
Sure, though atm I'm not sure what's staying and what isn't. Once we've decided what can be axed, I could assist in getting citations/scans set up for existing examples or new ones.

Oh, and for the record, I agree with much of what Tracer said, specifically Wonder Woman's weakness and Dormammu being weakened at the end of that Defenders run.

Which should not matter at all considering the sheer difference in speed and power level between Catwoman and the Flash characters.
Except it would as I mentioned I think it's unlikely the Flashes were going at top speed, as Ivy doesn't really have that good control over her victim's powers, as shown with her controlling Superman. That and they're possessed.

Was it mentioned that Ivy controlling them was the reason or is that just what we use to solve the problem?

Was it mentioned that Ivy controlling them was the reason or is that just what we use to solve the problem?
Not really, but it's showcased that she accidentally killed Batman using Superman's body because she didn't know how to hold back his power.

That and a Speedster's mindset can also affect their speed.

Yeah, I mean, I'm happy enough to accept the explanation because the feat is just that ridiculous but we should at least be more or less transparent about the fact that it's ad hoc. Nothing wrong with that per se, I just think it's still a decent example.

Huh, my apologies, I don't know how that happened. I fixed the link in the original message, but to make it easier to follow I'll repost it here as well.
Thank you. That seems reasonable then.
I would disagree based off what I noted of the "fight" being completely off-screen and the cosmology lacking any balance at the time.
I'd figure you're probably not interested in having an extended argument about this, so I'll leave it up to others to form a consensus and determine if it should stay.
The Black Panther somehow physically overpowered a cosmic entity. Anything beyond that seems like a rationalisation to me.
Sure, though atm I'm not sure what's staying and what isn't. Once we've decided what can be axed, I could assist in getting citations/scans set up for existing examples or new ones.
Thank you very much for your help.
Oh, and for the record, I agree with much of what Tracer said, specifically Wonder Woman's weakness and Dormammu being weakened at the end of that Defenders run.
Wonder Woman's "weakness" is just a dumb plot convention, but I agree about Dormammu.

Except it would as I mentioned I think it's unlikely the Flashes were going at top speed, as Ivy doesn't really have that good control over her victim's powers, as shown with her controlling Superman. That and they're possessed.
Even if they were going at 1/10th speed it would be far beyond ridiculous.

Even if they were going at 1/10th speed it would be far beyond ridiculous.
No. It's not like Speedsters go like MFTL+ against street tiers, usually so, they're speeds are around like Hypersonic to Massively Hypersonic when facing regular street tiers

Tapping into the speed force means completely ignoring all relativistic limitations if I remember correctly.
They're not always moving at FTL speeds

No. It's not like Speedsters go like MFTL+ against street tiers, usually so, they're speeds are around like Hypersonic to Massively Hypersonic when facing regular street tiers
Their inhibitions were off here.
They're not always moving at FTL speeds
Well, I don't think that it seems reasonable to try to rationalise this particular inconsistency.

But if Superman could not control his own strength well enough to not severely hurt Batman, why would the speedsters be far more restrained?

Well, I am still very open to us modifying (partially replacing) our examples in a constructive manner, as long as the same points are made in compelling manners.

Back